Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tiviar Alpha Plus Combo STB

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

Hi Gerry,

Thanks for taking the trouble....

I've triple checked that everything is writing to the HDD, including the EPG.

The HDD is a USB connected device, without separate power. (the hardware config was recommended by the shop I bought it from in Dublin). I suppose I could try getting a second HDD or even USB stick and pointing the EPG at that, as the scenario I described might be as you say, down to conflicts when too many processes are trying to use the HDD. But...... if throwing money at it solves the problem, well 100+ euro would be cheap enough if it works AND makes my boss happy!

If I solve the problem using second storage device for EPG, I'll post about my experience in the AA2+ forum.

If I buy the Tiviar and set it up to 'our' satisfaction, then I'll post here.

Thanks again.
    I was thinking if you had another HDD knocking about to try that. If it's a case of going out to buy something then I'd sooner spend on the Tiviar than waste more on the AA2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

I was thinking if you had another HDD knocking about to try that. If it's a case of going out to buy something then I'd sooner spend on the Tiviar than waste more on the AA2.

You may also be able to remove your existing hd from it's enclosure and use it as internal in the Tiviar. That's assuming it's working fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

Hi Gerry,
    Yes, I'm a great believer in not throwing good money after bad, as they say. I'll take a look in my box of spares and see what's there. If I find nothing, then its off down the Tiviar route for me.

Hi High-horse-brigade,
    Yeah, that was the plan, as the £99 offer doesn't include a HDD.

I'll post my observations whichever way I go. (This approach has been useful to myself, like keeping a diary, but everyone gets to read it:D)

thanks to you both.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Many users have had issues with passport hdd with usb power,externally powered seem to work better or try using a powdered usb hub.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Mars A7X

Hey there, one last question before purchase. I understand you can opt in for a HDD and wireless USB. For the price of the upgrades you can easily get much cheaper or better alternatives. Is the the HDD hard to install by yourself if you were to use your own and would any wifi dongle work? Cheers.

• Advertisement

Mars A7X wrote: »
    Hey there, one last question before purchase. I understand you can opt in for a HDD and wireless USB. For the price of the upgrades you can easily get much cheaper or better alternatives. Is the the HDD hard to install by yourself if you were to use your own and would any wifi dongle work? Cheers.

HDD is easy enough to install, just open the box and connect it then initialise it in the software. The WiFi dongle needs to be supported by Enigma software so would be best ordered with the box as only some are compatible

Better to go with hard wired if possible and if needing more lan connections a network switch?
    Thinking most hdd are sata?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

Most USB drives when taken out of the case can be connected internally in the box. It's a sata connection.

WiFi sticks. Ralink rt5370. They are less than a fiver. The ones with the aerial on them work fine with e2 boxes.

The problems with the aa2 boxes is the CPU and the flash memory. It's too low to try and do what it's doing. Anything below 750mhz and you are going to get issues even on real e2 boxes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭andy1249

STB. wrote: »
    Most USB drives when taken out of the case can be connected internally in the box. It's a sata connection.

WD passports dont have a sata connection, just the same usb connection you see from the case. So watch out for these.

The Tiviar takes a slim form factor 2.5 inch laptop type hard drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭TheBunk1

I have an Amiko Alien 2 for probably four years now, running Hyperion (v4 i think). Had no issue until recently - have sound but no picture and remote doesn't work, but can change channels via buttons on front of box. Any idea of a fix for this?

Or would I be better off upgrading to this box?

Cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 macthaidhg

Hi guys, I just got the Tiviar STB set up on Saorview/Freesat. Very impressed. I purchased from WoS with no internal HDD as I had a 1TB internal spare. After installation I couldn't get it to initialize. It would always hang at 51/100. As a work around, I removed it and formatted in Windows 10 using Minitool Partition Wizard (ext4 format). Works perfectly now.

Has anyone got teletext to work? When I press the teletext button some colour blocks show up that resemble the old teletext. Can enigma2/Openatv handle digital teletext?
    How do I change font size of the channel selection? I have fiddled with parameters in settings but so far no joy.
    Any way to remove weather details from channel selection? I don't have the box connected to the internet so this just shows up as 0degC.
    Cheers

Sounds like you setup weather plugin from downloads?You can also delete it if necessary from plugins.
    Setting up hd takes time as it goes through the different stages and partitions and when left will finish setup.
    Question might be when done on pc is it setup correctly as not used pc only boxes.
    Unsure by what you mean in font size or too many things on screen and hard to see,that can be changed in settings to show less and make writing/text easier to read.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 m9934

I just got the Tiviar with openvix. It seems really great. So far so good! Does anyone know of a basic how-to guide? I'm figuring things out by playing around with it which is working OK but I bet I'm missing out on some good features. Thanks in advance!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Hi

I have asked this before but got no response.
    I'd be interested in this so I could access tv away from home. My big need would be to have the ability to cast it to a tv away from home. Is this possible. Watching it on a tablet wouldn't suffice.

Thanks

Hi

I have asked this before but got no response.
    I'd be interested in this so I could access tv away from home. My big need would be to have the ability to cast it to a tv away from home. Is this possible. Watching it on a tablet wouldn't suffice.

Thanks

Yes you can stream outside your home but I don't know of any app that will cast it. You'll need a device like an Android box or fire stick connected to the TV by HDMI.

To stream outside your home you'll need to give the Tiviar a static IP and then forward ports to this IP on your router. You'll also need to know your current public IP on your router (which could be constantly changing depending on your provider)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 569 ✭✭✭spongerobinson

You'll also need to know your current public IP on your router (which could be constantly changing depending on your provider)

You could also use a dynamic DNS for this, removing the need to know the IP address as it changes.

You could also use a dynamic DNS for this, removing the need to know the IP address as it changes.

Of course

This requires a little setup and possibly running something all the time or changing router. I was trying to answer as simple as possible and take it from there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 643 ✭✭✭john_doe.

Hi I was wondering did the channel 4 frequencies change?

Seem to have lost channel 4 , E4 etc.
    I actually thought that the box adjusted for frequency changes.

Using the image from thehighhorsebrigade for few months now .

Yes they might have.
    https://en.kingofsat.net/pos-28.2E.php

All depends if you run a daily update of channels and epg on your box?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 643 ✭✭✭john_doe.

greasepalm wrote: »
    Yes they might have.
    https://en.kingofsat.net/pos-28.2E.php

All depends if you run a daily update of channels and epg on your box?

Ya I have the autobouqets set up which I thought adjusted for this. Done a manual scan of that there but those channels are still black.

• Advertisement

If you do another automatic scan non abm recheck channels in the all list as you will possibly get the working one.
    I had abm channels not working but the one in the all list worked.

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭cork_south

Hi folks, I am building a wall and placing a TV in an inset in the wall.
    The plan is to hide all leads in the wall so onlybthecTV can be seen.
    I am thinking of buying one of these boxes but I'd like to hide it behind said wall.

Do these boxes support an infrared adapter that would make it possible to change channels when the box is hidden?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

cork_south wrote: »
    I am thinking of buying one of these boxes but I'd like to hide it behind said wall.

Do these boxes support an infrared adapter that would make it possible to change channels when the box is hidden?
    I use an app on the phone called Telly-mote. It does everything the remote does and more over wi-fi

Not that I know of, it doesn't ship with an adapter. You'll need a Logitech Harmony remote with a hub and blasters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 569 ✭✭✭spongerobinson

You can get cheap IR repeaters on Amazon. Never used them, but they have fairly solid reviews.

Are you literally talking about hiding the box behind a plastered wall? If so, I'd definitely not recommend it. These boxes generate a lot of heat, and you may need access to the actual box from time to time.

Good access to leads if things need to be changed is important,ventilation is important to everything in use and as said in walls or cabinets heat builds up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

What make TV, you need CEC enabled on the TV. different manufacturers call it different things. On LG it's Simplink

I have simplink enabled on tv and enabled HDMI CEC on the tiviar, but I still can’t control tv volume using tiviar. Anybody got this working?

To see if it works if you power off the tv does box go off?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

greasepalm wrote: »
    To see if it works if you power off the tv does box go off?

Yes it does, but I have to use tv remote instead of tiviar remote

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭cork_south

You can get cheap IR repeaters on Amazon. Never used them, but they have fairly solid reviews.

Are you literally talking about hiding the box behind a plastered wall? If so, I'd definitely not recommend it. These boxes generate a lot of heat, and you may need access to the actual box from time to time.

I've been thinking more about it and what I'm planning on doing now is leaving the sat box in the attic and running a HDMI cable from it down to the TV.
    I'll run a coax cable from TV up to the box in the attic and connect one of those IR repeaters to it to allow me control the box in the attic from the room with the TV.
    I think that will work.

Advertisement