Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tiviar Alpha Plus Combo STB

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭greasepalm

What about optical cable if you have a sound system,and lan cable and power supply?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭NewClareman

I have simplink enabled on tv and enabled HDMI CEC on the tiviar, but I still can’t control tv volume using tiviar. Anybody got this working?
    Yeah, I just set my one up today and can control the tv (LG) volume using HDMI.
    I’d really like to be able to turn the tv on and off with the same remote, but trying that is for another day.
    I flashed the image from The High Horse Brigade, brilliant work, made the setup much easier!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 569 ✭✭✭spongerobinson

cork_south wrote: »
    I've been thinking more about it and what I'm planning on doing now is leaving the sat box in the attic and running a HDMI cable from it down to the TV.
    I'll run a coax cable from TV up to the box in the attic and connect one of those IR repeaters to it to allow me control the box in the attic from the room with the TV.
    I think that will work.

Make sure you get a good quality hdmi cable if it's going to be a long run. I'd also run two cables. Easier to run a second one now, then try to run a new one in a few years if there is a problem. Also ethernet should be run as mentioned previously.

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭cork_south

Good call on the Ethernet cable and a 2nd HDMI, thanks folks.

For optical, I'm going to run that straight from the TV to a sound bar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Please also add nylon string looped through for pull through as something else may want to be added.From the manual it says this,

5. Multi-Brand IR Remote Controller Setting
    NOTE : When there is no input during about 10 secon
    ds from set mode, set mode is
    canceled.
    1. Direct Code Entry
    Step 1
    : Turn on the
    DEVICE
    what you want to set up(TV / DVD / VCR)
    Step 2
    : Press
    DEVICE
    and
    OK
    button during about 2 seconds at the same time.

DEVICE LED will blink twice.
    Step 3
    : Input the 3 digit code numbers.
    (Refer to
    ‘Code Table for Universal Remote Control Unit’
    in the rear section of this
    manual
    )

DEVICE LED will blink twice and the DEVICE turns of
    f.

If you enter a wrong DEVICE code, DEVICE will blink
    once
    Step 4
    : If your DEVICE turns off, press
    OK
    button.

2. Auto Code Search
    Step 1
    : Turn on the DEVICE what you want to set up(TV, D
    VD)
    Step 2
    DEVICE
    and
    OK
    buttons during about 2 seconds at the same time.

Step 3
    UP
    or
    Down
    button within 10 seconds to enter the Search mode.
    Step 4
    UP
    or
    Down
    button until the
    DEVICE
    turns off, one and one.
    Step 5
    : If your DEVICE turns off, press
    OK
    button.

3. Code No. Checking (Number Call)
    Step 1
    DEVICE
    and
    OK
    buttons during about 2 seconds at the same time.

Step 2
    INFO
    button within 3 seconds.

LED will blink according to inputted mode number on
    the device.
    ( Case of digit '0', it blinks 10 times.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 643 ✭✭✭john_doe.

greasepalm wrote: »
    If you do another automatic scan non abm recheck channels in the all list as you will possibly get the working one.
    I had abm channels not working but the one in the all list worked.

Scanned and Its seems to have returned channels .

Was trying to add them to my favorites again now. I have removed the old channel 4 and populated with the new one found.
    I've gone into the favorite editor screen but it's at the bottom of the list as attached.Can't seem to figure out how to move it back where it belongs and edit the order list.
    How do I move the channel up the list order?

Bit confused on this - thought the advantage of the auto bouquests was didn't need to do this manual type scanning when frequencies changed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

john_doe. wrote: »
    Scanned and Its seems to have returned channels .

Was trying to add them to my favorites again now. I have removed the old channel 4 and populated with the new one found.
    I've gone into the favorite editor screen but it's at the bottom of the list as attached.Can't seem to figure out how to move it back where it belongs and edit the order list.
    How do I move the channel up the list order?

Bit confused on this - thought the advantage of the auto bouquests was didn't need to do this manual type scanning when frequencies changed.

In the bouquet -> Menu -> enable move mode -> press ok select the channel you want to move then up and down to move it then ok again to make it stay there. Keep doing this until you've all your moving done then press exit to disable move mode

Edit, I don't see why you need to do any of this, just run AutobouquetsMaker, you should have it set to once a day during the night. Unless you're adding them to favorites, but that sceeengrab isn't favorites it's the entertainment bouquet

In the bouquet -> Menu -> enable move mode -> press ok select the channel you want to move then up and down to move it then ok again to make it stay there. Keep doing this until you've all your moving done then press exit to disable move mode

Edit, I don't see why you need to do any of this, just run AutobouquetsMaker, you should have it set to once a day during the night. Unless you're adding them to favorites, but that sceeengrab isn't favorites it's the entertainment bouquet

Thanks , I got it to move down , but it then seems to just stop. Is it because I've added these channels some odd way. For example I can move the channels I've added E4. Channel 4 and channel 4 +1 around each other but they won't move down past the original channels BBC 1 etc.

I did try the abq scan also attached .maybe I was doing it wrong but the channels remainder black after.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

Yeah, I just set my one up today and can control the tv (LG) volume using HDMI.
    I’d really like to be able to turn the tv on and off with the same remote, but trying that is for another day.
    I flashed the image from The High Horse Brigade, brilliant work, made the setup much easier!
    Did you do anything special to setup volume control other than enabled HDMI CEC on both the TV and STB?

john_doe. wrote: »
    Thanks , I got it to move down , but it then seems to just stop. Is it because I've added these channels some odd way. For example I can move the channels I've added E4. Channel 4 and channel 4 +1 around each other but they won't move down past the original channels BBC 1 etc.

I did try the abq scan also attached .maybe I was doing it wrong but the channels remainder black after.

That's the entertainment bouquet created by Autobouquetmaker, no matter what changes you make will be overwritten the next time Autobouquetmaker runs.

• Advertisement

That's the entertainment bouquet created by Autobouquetmaker, no matter what changes you make will be overwritten the next time Autobouquetmaker runs.

I've manually ran ABM now 4 or 5 times and I thought it was successful but it was failing on tuner b which I was ignoring. I disabled my tuner b as I have had issues with the sat cable and the ABQ completed successfully all channels in the Entertainment back as you said.

My lack of knowledge made the problem . ABM was probably never running successful.
    Thanks , wasn't wasted effort learnt a bit.
    Also your image is performing great for last few months.

I've missed a few recordings but I think it's when i start messing around with channels that are recording with dream epg. Dream EPG however is also excellent though. Just need to fix the satellite cable for tuner B so I can watch and record now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭NewClareman

Did you do anything special to setup volume control other than enabled HDMI CEC on both the TV and STB?

No, that was it - I was amazed it worked so easily.
    However, turning on the STB doesn’t turn on the Tv, which worked with the Sky box.

No, that was it - I was amazed it worked so easily.
    However, turning on the STB doesn’t turn on the Tv, which worked with the Sky box.

And funny enough that works for me

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Mars A7X

Anoyone here use IPTV on this box?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,839 ✭✭✭SteM

IPTV runs very well on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭peking97

Just a question for some of you knowledgeable guys in here. Are these two boxes very similar or is there any particular reason to prefer one over the other? TIA.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Wanaknowmore

Hi folks,

I am the proud but distraught owner of a new Tiviar alpha +.
    Unfortunately, my box is not booting.

On power on, the 2 front lights come on but no front display is visible or no scart/HDMI output available.

I have tried to flash the images from this thread and have changed the noforce file to force in order to force a load but to no avail.

My question is: is there a separate bootloader software and has anybody loaded it previously?

I have had to put the old AA2 back into service.

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

@wannaknowmore.

Try a different usb stick.

Can you see it trying to flash or is it slipping on by ?

Bootloader CFE

https://www.opena.tv/tiviar-alpha-plus/37192-tiviar-alpha-plus-switch-fortis-os-enigma2.html?langid=1

Then grab an open atv image and unzip to usb

http://images.mynonpublic.com/openatv/6.1/index.php?open=tiviaraplus

peking97 wrote: »
    Just a question for some of you knowledgeable guys in here. Are these two boxes very similar or is there any particular reason to prefer one over the other? TIA.

Two boxes? Not sure what you mean

I presume he was talking about 2 similarly specced and priced boxes that came on the market around the same time from wos. The formuler F1 and tiviar.

The answer to the question is always the one that has the most support. In this case the guy above who is making it so simple that you just have to flash his backup image and do one or two tweaks for your local saorview transmitter picons and network configuration.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,021 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

The two boxes in the heading of his post ........

Tiviar Alpha+ Combo vs. Edision OS Mega?

The two boxes in the heading of his post ........

Tiviar Alpha+ Combo vs. Edision OS Mega?

Oh right, You don't see the heading on the touch site

Neither did I. I'm on the touch site too.

Not the edision. I got a Nino recently and from day one it's been a pain in the arse. I don't know if I was unlucky but I had to torque the bloody thing with a pliars as the sat connection wasn't contacting otherwise. I've never seen this on any sat box. The remote buttons are also illogical.

I only got it as they are small enough to fit behind a wall mounted tv.

STB. wrote: »
    Neither did I. I'm on the touch site too.

Not the edision. I got a Nino recently and from day one it's been a pain in the arse. I don't know if I was unlucky but I had to torque the bloody thing with a pliars as the sat connection wasn't contacting otherwise. I've never seen this on any sat box. The remote buttons are also illogical.

I only got it as they are small enough to fit behind a wall mounted tv.

I also have the Nino in the Kitchen and not had any issues with it, in fact I'd recommend it. I'm not using the remote though, I use a Harmony. I'm also not recording on it as it's not my main box

I also have the Nino in the Kitchen and not had any issues with it, in fact I'd recommend it. I'm not using the remote though, I use a Harmony. I'm also not recording on it as it's not my main box

Yeah much the same it's in a kitchen and hidden. Perhaps I was unlucky but it took me about an hour to figure out the hardware issue. And I wasn't going to ship it back to WOS. The WiFi is handy as I can edit it remotely.

Thanks STB, I'll try that tomorrow.

I have used a couple of different USB sticks as I had an issue with them while flashing my AA2 box a couple of years ago.

As regards my issue, there is nothing visible on the front display at all during a supposed reflash.
    I only know that the front panel works because if you hold down the channel + and - buttons during power on, the panel shows a pairing message (no idea what its supposed to be pairing with) otherwise I had thought it was totally dead.

Again appreciate your help

Hi,
    My brand new shiny Tiviar Alpha+ has been officially declared dead and i'm supposed to ship it back to WOS.

Just wondering if anybody has done that here and what courier did you use? Also did WOS pay for your return shipping?

Given how, relatively, cheap the box was i'm in 2 minds as to whether to ship it back (this is before I've looked up shipping costs!)

Thanks.

Declared dead by whom ?

How long have you got this ? Was it DOA ?

SteM wrote: »
    Forgot to mention that the Movie Organisor (sic) plugin is well worth installing on this box. It scans your hard drive at a user-defined time and puts all of your shows that have multiple recordings into their own folders.

So if your kid records Postman Pat on series link it will put all of the episodes into their own folder. Very handy, stops the drive from getting clogged up with one big list of shows.
    I have this installed but it doesn’t run automatically. I have to run it manually to do the grouping. Any way to schedule it?

• Advertisement

STB. wrote: »
    Declared dead by whom ?

How long have you got this ? Was it DOA ?

STB,

I got it 2 weeks ago but only booted it on Monday. Seems like it is a DOA. Absolutely no activity. The USB ports are inactive and no boot sequence seems to occur. Nothing appears on the front display. I connected an internal HDD but you can't even hear that spin up.
    I tried to install the bootloader from the link you sent but the USB stick is not been accessed (I tried a couple of sticks). I had previously tried to reflash some images.
    The only thing that works are the 2 front lights and while they are nice and bright, I already have lights in the room.
    So I got the RMA number from WOS and there looks like a good shipping deal on parcels2go (DPD delivery) so will return it in the next couple of days.
    Appreciate your help.

Advertisement