Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tiviar Alpha Plus Combo STB

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭rebeve

I’d like a copy too, if possible. Is there any chance you could point me in the direction of some instructions for creating my own version. I use CrossEPG, to support the non-Freeview Channels, with all custom Bouquets.

I dont think it would be too difficult to customize it to your own needs once you put the channels into the custom mix file .Should be a doddle for you after all your fine work on this thread .

So is it updating the satellite channels? How about channel 4 hd?

I havent tried channel 4 HD , but I dont see why not if you put that channel into the custom mix .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

rebeve wrote: »
    I havent tried channel 4 HD , but I dont see why not if you put that channel into the custom mix .

The reason I ask about C4 HD is that it's neither on Freesat or Sky listing. If you're using Autobouquets it uses the Sky bouquets which will not have updates for any channel not on Sky, any of the ones you'd normally add manually to extra channels on a Sky box

The reason I ask about C4 HD is that it's neither on Freesat or Sky listing. If you're using Autobouquets it uses the Sky bouquets which will not have updates for any channel not on Sky, any of the ones you'd normally add manually to extra channels on a Sky box

I will give it a go tomorrow and see if ABM overwrites it .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭NewClareman

Sorry , It puts the Irish and UK channels together on your epg , I update everyday and the epg will not get over written . Sorry but I`m not really explaining it very well .I will throw up a screenshot later on .

Thanks for the link, I’ll try it tomorrow, when I’m on a laptop.

Quick question, if I recreate my custom Bouquets using ABM with custom mixes, will ABM then take care of frequency changes?

Thanks in advance...

Thanks for the link, I’ll try it tomorrow, when I’m on a laptop.

Quick question, if I recreate my custom Bouquets using ABM with custom mixes, will ABM then take care of frequency changes?

Thanks in advance...

It will.

It will.

Thanks, I've looked at your files - I'll have a go, when I get a chance. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭eddie

I am only asking as it seems reasonable to expect that it will work.

I have a number of downloaded movies on a USB drive attached to the Tiviar box. On previous media player only boxes, I could run programes that provided the IMDB or similer info and images for the movie and mounted them in a Video display shelf that you could scroll through and see the info before choosing.. is there any type of Plugin to do this >

Thanks

Eddie

eddie wrote: »
    I am only asking as it seems reasonable to expect that it will work.

I have a number of downloaded movies on a USB drive attached to the Tiviar box. On previous media player only boxes, I could run programes that provided the IMDB or similer info and images for the movie and mounted them in a Video display shelf that you could scroll through and see the info before choosing.. is there any type of Plugin to do this >

Thanks

Eddie

You need to check out the other thread with Claremans image

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057925678/1/#post108528885

How are you finding the box now? Getting to grips with it?

Thanks will check it out..

Yes,, but only because of using your image and all the advise here from yourself and others... still ahve other issues but working through them and have missing menu commands that likely will restore with an update.. all in all loving it.., boss is not as much a fan but its early days..

LOVE the IpTV,,,, excellent...

Your efforts here are VERY much appreciated...

• Advertisement

Oh balls... I should have listened to myself.. I flashed the Claremans image and the Opentv 6.2 and wonderful inparts I have lost some of the most desirebale parts of the whole setup I had.. lost saorview... Lost favourites and now looking at hours to get back to where I was... you cannot even easily program the unit now and it need s PIN , there is an enforced time delay, and the remotes are completely reconfigured.... i feel a tiny bit sick............ nope I feel Really REALLY sick..... :(

Just on the movie database... each movie I have is in its own folder with its subs or whatever... is that the right format as the info is not populating.. !

Oh balls... I should have listened to myself.. I flashed the Claremans image and the Opentv 6.2 and wonderful inparts I have lost some of the most desirebale parts of the whole setup I had.. lost saorview... Lost favourites and now looking at hours to get back to where I was... you cannot even easily program the unit now and it need s PIN , there is an enforced time delay, and the remotes are completely reconfigured.... i feel a tiny bit sick............ nope I feel Really REALLY sick..... :(

Just on the movie database... each movie I have is in its own folder with its subs or whatever... is that the right format as the info is not populating.. !

Let that be a lesson, never, ever do anything without doing a backup first. You'll learn :-)

Dreamboxedit is a great software for editing and backing up your bouquets. Can flash a new image and after upload your own custom channel list

Let that be a lesson, never, ever do anything without doing a backup first. You'll learn :-)

Dreamboxedit is a great software for editing and backing up your bouquets. Can flash a new image and after upload your own custom channel list

I have back up, in fact I have about 10 of them.......... aghhhhhhhhhh
    !!

I have back up, in fact I have about 10 of them.......... aghhhhhhhhhh
    !!

They can be a life saver. I've been there before. I'm at the stage where I don't even trust a backup so I do many regularly

They can be a life saver. I've been there before. I'm at the stage where I don't even trust a backup so I do many regularly

It will no load any of the backups it is stuck in s loop of open arc 6,2. And seems stuck. I tired a couple of backups and s reset to factory defaults before it got stuck.

Is there a kick in the arse backup I can download to get it back to stability ?

It will no load any of the backups it is stuck in s loop of open arc 6,2. And seems stuck. I tired a couple of backups and s reset to factory defaults before it got stuck.

Is there a kick in the arse backup I can download to get it back to stability ?

Where are the backups? On the internal HDD? Did you unplug usb while flashing

If the backups were made by the blue menu you'll be able to restore from there in software not on boot up

If the backups were made by the blue menu you'll be able to restore from there in software not on boot up

Yes. Removed all usbs and it still only boots into opentv 6.2 screen and is stuck in a loop. I had also backed up to three different usbs ( I’m paranoid ) and follow the insert restart procedure and the are exactly the same. The backup I made were on different days.

Still stuck in boot loop.

I can’t get to blue backup menu anyway lastvworking menu had remapped remote keys

Yes. Removed all usbs and it still only boots into opentv 6.2 screen and is stuck in a loop. I had also backed up to three different usbs ( I’m paranoid ) and follow the insert restart procedure and the are exactly the same. The backup I made were on different days.

Still stuck in boot loop.

Flash my image, get into the the software, blue button where you made the backup should be another option to restore. I'm sorry I'm not in front of it now somebody else may guide you better

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 vimes

Just like to put a quick thank you to High Horse Brigade and everyone else in this thread for all their helpful advice and patient explanations.

Home is now successfully de-Ruperted, and She Who Must Be Obeyed is quite happy with the result. There are a few niggles we'll eventually work out how to avoid, but this little box is now an official Part of the Home.

Oh, just regarding something a few people have spoken about - the wireless adapter issue - we picked up one of these TP-Link Nano a few years ago for travel reasons. Its been sat in a drawer collecting dust, but is now providing sterling service without any fossicking about with drivers.

Hi Eddie,

Sorry you’re having trouble.

My image is heavily customized, and locked down, as stated in the start of the thread. That is why I started a thread, just for it, in the first place.

There is a post on scanning Saorview,which should bring all that side back. The pin (0000) can be disabled under parental control.

Each movie in its own folder is fine. It can take a good while, as in mannyyy minutes, to populate the mo is database.

Hi Eddie,

My image is heavily customized, and locked down, as stated in the start of the thread. That is why I started a thread, just for it, in the first place.

There is a post on scanning Saorview,which should bring all that side back. The pin (0000) can be disabled under parental control.

Each movie in its own folder is fine. It can take a good while, as in mannyyy minutes, to populate the mo is database.

THanks, NewClareman but while it had many great, features it just was not overall what I wanted.. BUT I can see exactly where you were coming from and why it is so suitable for that,

I managed to get THH copy up and running although I seem to have some issues, but I can work through them..

The amount of work that you and THH have put into this is quite incredible. Kudos to both.!

Thanks

Eddie

Flash my image, get into the the software, blue button where you made the backup should be another option to restore. I'm sorry I'm not in front of it now somebody else may guide you better

THanks - Finally got your image back up and running.. backed up -updated the plugins backed up,, BUT the new plugins are NOT loading... is goes through upgrading 86 updates but then no new plugins appear, I manually try to add them and they seem to be loading BUT still do not appear ( New e2 Iptv and Mediainfo plugin ) ?

Any ideas as I REALLY liked the IPTV.....

Eddie

THanks - Finally got your image back up and running.. backed up -updated the plugins backed up,, BUT the new plugins are NOT loading... is goes through upgrading 86 updates but then no new plugins appear, I manually try to add them and they seem to be loading BUT still do not appear ( New e2 Iptv and Mediainfo plugin ) ?

Any ideas as I REALLY liked the IPTV.....

Eddie

I'm not sure Eddie. I'm still running OpenATV 6.1 and have never updated it. I'm a firm believer that if it's not broke leave it alone. Ever hear the saying fix it till it's broke :D

E2 IPTV works without updating to 6.2, I think it's called IPTV player in plugins. If you install that it will update itself to E2 IPTV

I'm not sure Eddie. I'm still running OpenATV 6.1 and have never updated it. I'm a firm believer that if it's not broke leave it alone. Ever hear the saying fix it till it's broke :D

E2 IPTV works without updating to 6.2, I think it's called IPTV player in plugins. If you install that it will update itself to E2 IPTV

Rookie mistake.. It was easier than that.... the Lan connection did not re-install..so it was not actually connected to the net.... so I setup lan, all installed as needed and thenI backed up again :) Thanks

• Advertisement

Hi Eddie,

do you know, can you have many folders of folders and just point the the menu to drive ?

I have main folders, Docs, serial, Movie old, movie new, movie subbed etc etc and each filled with content in their own individual folders will that work >

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 643 ✭✭✭john_doe.

@ The high horse brigade

Bought a second box.
    I use your image but have made a few changes to it such as iptv player and dreamplex.

How do I copy my image from box 1 over to box 2 ?

john_doe. wrote: »
    @ The high horse brigade

Bought a second box.
    I use your image but have made a few changes to it such as iptv player and dreamplex.

How do I copy my image from box 1 over to box 2 ?

Press blue and go into software manager and you'll have backup and restore options. Do a complete backup and then restore this backup on the other box

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 643 ✭✭✭john_doe.

Press blue and go into software manager and you'll have backup and restore options. Do a complete backup and then restore this backup on the other box

Thanks for that.

Was thinking that was it but didn't want to mess anything up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,906 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Is it possible to watch the ITV player and 4 player in E2i player if outside the UK using some dns server ?

• Advertisement

do you know, can you have many folders of folders and just point the the menu to drive ?

I have main folders, Docs, serial, Movie old, movie new, movie subbed etc etc and each filled with content in their own individual folders will that work >

Movie Browser ignores any underlying folder structure, just point to the parent directory. You can also use symlinks to point to external locations. It creates its own views, based on filters, as shown here.

The default player (Enhanced Movie Centre) displays the actual folder structure and you have to navigate manually.

Movie Browser ignores any underlying folder structure, just point to the parent directory. You can also use symlinks to point to external locations. It creates its own views, based on filters, as shown here.

The default player (Enhanced Movie Centre) displays the actual folder structure and you have to navigate manually.

THe movie browser does not appear to me populating the database.... there is no information beside the movies overnight, ( set to update at 2.0AM).. when I put it into update (PWR) then it locks up..???

Any ideas.

Eddie

THe movie browser does not appear to me populating the database.... there is no information beside the movies overnight, ( set to update at 2.0AM).. when I put it into update (PWR) then it locks up..???

Any ideas.

Eddie

I had that problem, too - thought it wasn’t working.

It takes a long time to populate the database, if you’ve got many films.
    During that time, which in my case was well over an hour, the box is unresponsive. (The first time I couldn’t wait, wifey was waiting, so had to do a pwr on/off.)

I had that problem, too - thought it wasn’t working.

It takes a long time to populate the database, if you’ve got many films.
    During that time, which in my case was well over an hour, the box is unresponsive. (The first time I couldn’t wait, wifey was waiting, so had to do a pwr on/off.)

I left it overnight and it picked up a lot of the movies that had short names. like "The Assassin" but skipped all like "The Assassin (2017) EVO ETRG.MKV"

The folder of the movie and inside the movie and if exists the sub file would all have the same name.. any ideas ?>

I left it overnight and it picked up a lot of the movies that had short names. like "The Assassin" but skipped all like "The Assassin (2017) EVO ETRG.MKV"

The folder of the movie and inside the movie and if exists the sub file would all have the same name.. any ideas ?>

The file type, e.g. .MKV, is grand - it is a supported file type, as per my posts in the other thread. The issue is the additional terms like “EVO” and “ETRG”. They result in a mismatch in the TMDb.

From the Movie Organisor support thread:

Movies / Series file names: The names of the movies and series are determined by the names of the movie files. The TMDb and TVDB APIs expect the exact name of the movie or the series. Each additional word leads to a missmatch or no result.
    ...the plugin tries to filter out special characters like marks or brackets. 50+ typical scene expressions like "720p" or "x264" are filtered from the filenames.
    Nevertheless you should make sure that the filenames of the movie files are as good as possible.”

FunnY I have copy of filebot and used to always use it ... but was quirkey in how it was set up... anyway have tried it again and even followed up the instructions ( unheard of for me ) and still cannot get it to write / rename.. it even goes through the error checking but refuses to actually rename.... even tried one of the very latest copies. -- ? have reached the F-it stage, they can just march through the list and guess. ! :D

The file type, e.g. .MKV, is grand - it is a supported file type, as per my posts in the other thread. The issue is the additional terms like “EVO” and “ETRG”. They result in a mismatch in the TMDb.

From the Movie Organisor support thread:

Movies / Series file names: The names of the movies and series are determined by the names of the movie files. The TMDb and TVDB APIs expect the exact name of the movie or the series. Each additional word leads to a missmatch or no result.
    ...the plugin tries to filter out special characters like marks or brackets. 50+ typical scene expressions like "720p" or "x264" are filtered from the filenames.
    Nevertheless you should make sure that the filenames of the movie files are as good as possible.”

I wonder when the API;s are using the name is the name of the containing folder or the name of the file inside the folder.

There is always another hurdle.¬:mad:

I wonder when the API;s are using the name is the name of the containing folder or the name of the file inside the folder.

There is always another hurdle.¬:mad:

My folder names are ignored, then again they definitely are not in the TMDb.

I gave up on filebot, as well, that why I didn’t mention it. What I did do was a “quick and dirty” filename cleanup, using dos. That stripped common character groups that were not being recognized.

My folder names are ignored, then again they definitely are not in the TMDb.

I gave up on filebot, as well, that why I didn’t mention it. What I did do was a “quick and dirty” filename cleanup, using dos. That stripped common character groups that were not being recognized.

So I used tinyMediaManager - renamed the files and download all the media backdrops descriptions etc.. looked perfect.. found all movies.. displaying perfectly - wonderful.

Fitted it back to the Tiviar and ran the update ... nothing.. did not find any more of the files apart from the original 20 or so from day one... somewhat annoying to say the least... :mad:

• Advertisement

So I used tinyMediaManager - renamed the files and download all the media backdrops descriptions etc.. looked perfect.. found all movies.. displaying perfectly - wonderful.

Fitted it back to the Tiviar and ran the update ... nothing.. did not find any more of the files apart from the original 20 or so from day one... somewhat annoying to say the least... :mad:

I’m having the opposite problem, it has stared cataloging recorded tv programs, even though the6 are in an entirely different directory. (Might be my own fault, I was playing around with symlinks.)

Did you read the directions on my posts? If you add a new parent directory, alternative ones are not updated in the database.You can also switch directory using either key 6, or 9, I forget which. (It’s in my post.)

I’m having the opposite problem, it has stared cataloging recorded tv programs, even though the6 are in an entirely different directory. (Might be my own fault, I was playing around with symlinks.)

Did you read the directions on my posts? If you add a new parent directory, alternative ones are not updated in the database.You can also switch directory using either key 6, or 9, I forget which. (It’s in my post.)

Can you give me a link to the post as I obviously missed it !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,505 ✭✭✭greasepalm

How much extra strain is put on boxes or is the box able to cope,boxes which are overloaded can run slow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,561 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

greasepalm wrote: »
    How much extra strain is put on boxes or is the box able to cope,boxes which are overloaded can run slow.

I was beginning to think the same thing. It sounds like there is so much customising and gimmicky plugins I pity the poor box. Call me old-fashioned but I find that the defaults and basic plugins do all I need. I have 1000's of movies and shows on my NAS and don't need or want any database. If a show/movie is worth keeping it should be memorable as it is. IMO

Can you give me a link to the post as I obviously missed it !

Sorry eddie, I missed this - here is my post. I would try resetting the database, if all else fails.

greasepalm wrote: »

I'm taking it that you are referring to my custom build. If so, the box runs well - comparable to a commercial box, such as Sky+ HD.

The only plugin that caused an issue was the Kodi Lite one. It uses software decoding, which hogged resources, so I removed it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,505 ✭✭✭greasepalm

No it was in relation to database and other stuff,i like simple no use of picons but also got a nas drive for movies which is good enough for me,dont use/need timeshift or swap files or cacheflush.Think the only extra is the 1080 skin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Rosser

This seems a bit intimidating for a novice! If I but it from World of Satellite with their Firmware would I be missing out much?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,561 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

Rosser wrote: »
    This seems a bit intimidating for a novice! If I but it from World of Satellite with their Firmware would I be missing out much?

When you buy from WoS they give you the choice of either openVIX or openATV installed. My personal preference is openATV. I would assume they have the basics setup to suit a UK user. It is a fairly simple task to install one of the backup images from here on Boards which will be tweaked to suit Irish users instead. Either way you will still need to scan your local Saorview terrestrial channels regardless of what box or TV you buy.

If you can manage to copy and paste files on a computer and other such basic tasks, you will cope. Yes it is a steep learning curve but in most cases the default settings are OK. You will find plenty of help here if you get stuck..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Rosser

Brilliant, I appreciate that

Advertisement