Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tiviar Alpha Plus Combo STB

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

So you mean just leave the remote in stb mode and use the box's volume instead of the tv.

Ya that might be ok.

Is this box generally about €160?

£100 sterling was the price on WOS without the drive and postage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 951 ✭✭✭Trevord

So you mean just leave the remote in stb mode and use the box's volume instead of the tv.

Ya that might be ok.

Is this box generally about €160?

Yes you'd only really need the tv remote for switching to netflix (if you have smart tv) or for switching hdmi sources say if you had a dvd player on another hdmi port.

Yes its about €160 including the 1TB drive and delivery via DPD

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭NewClareman

I think I will get the tiviar.
    I have an ethernet cable from a homeplug already.

To change volume on the tv do you have to switch modes on the tiviar to tv mode. I find that a pain on the humax remote.

You can match the remote to the tv, see here

My last build updates the satellite channels automatically. It should also update any Saorview changes, once the correct (local) terrestrial channels are entered into AutoBouquetMaker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,816 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Do you need an internal hard drive or is an external ok?

Do you need an internal hard drive or is an external ok?

You need internal, I thought the €160 one you mentioned comes with a 1TB internal?

• Advertisement

Trevord wrote: »

2. I manually created a saorview/freesat type bouquet in OpenWebif. I've never been able to fully understand the purpose/capability of autobouquets. I am wondering if its going to overwrite the bouquet I've made at some point?

ABM allows you to create bouquets that are automatically updated as frequencies change, channels change, etc. see here for examples. It allowed me to mimic the the Sky categories, with the Irish stations added, as appropriate.

You need internal, I thought the €160 one you mentioned comes with a 1TB internal?

It mentions that either can be chosen but where do you choose it?

It mentions that either can be chosen but where do you choose it?

Have you a link?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 macthaidhg

Thanks to this thread I've been able to set up two of these boxes for family members who have happiliy ditched sky. I'm conscious that WoS is out of stock and it's looking like it could become more of a struggle to get hold these boxes going forward. Is anybody looking ahead to something with a similar spec (i.e. triple tuner, 2x DVB-S2X + 1 x DVB-C/T2)? I had a look at the WoS page and the Zgemma H7S Triple Tuner Combo 2x DVB-S2X + 1x DVB-C/T2 Linux Enigma2 got my attention. I'm reluctant to move away from the Tiviar but if everthing is essentially the same, other than having to configure images, does this look like a good candidate for similar price? Anybody have any experience with this model?

Satworld was what I looked at Thhb.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Soundwise, what I do is:

Mute the telly
    Aux or optic from back of the box to a soundbar or whatever. Control sound output from the tiviar box with sound + or _.

sligojoek wrote: »
    Soundwise, what I do is:

Mute the telly
    Aux or optic from back of the box to a soundbar or whatever. Control sound output from the tiviar box with sound + or _.

That is awkward if your changing back to a smart TV for the Netflix app etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

I set one of these boxes up for a non-techy person, and it had worked great for a long time until yesterday.

He says he kept being prompted to 'update' in the last few weeks, and kept cancelling, till he eventually gave in.

From what I could tell over the phone, it seems like he has wiped all settings and plugins, and even has no epg.

I had backed up the image after setting it up, but wasn't able to restore it over the phone - he wasn't getting any menus up on the screen, and was just getting the various menus showing on the LCD screen on the box itself..

Looks like I'll have to visit and flash THHBs image again, then maybe restore the backup I saved with everything set up, but was just wondering, as I won't get to him till Monday, and he has no way of watching the rugby today, if anyone has any idea of what might have happened, and whether there might be any way of fixing it over the phone?
    It seems strange that he has no on-screen menus - if I could just get that sorted, maybe I could get him up and running..

UsedToWait wrote: »
    I set one of these boxes up for a non-techy person, and it had worked great for a long time until yesterday.

He says he kept being prompted to 'update' in the last few weeks, and kept cancelling, till he eventually gave in.

From what I could tell over the phone, it seems like he has wiped all settings and plugins, and even has no epg.

I had backed up the image after setting it up, but wasn't able to restore it over the phone - he wasn't getting any menus up on the screen, and was just getting the various menus showing on the LCD screen on the box itself..

Looks like I'll have to visit and flash THHBs image again, then maybe restore the backup I saved with everything set up, but was just wondering, as I won't get to him till Monday, and he has no way of watching the rugby today, if anyone has any idea of what might have happened, and whether there might be any way of fixing it over the phone?
    It seems strange that he has no on-screen menus - if I could just get that sorted, maybe I could get him up and running..

There is no on screen menus during the restore, the box reboots to the bootloader and LCD screen and I think you simply press the power button to allow it to flash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

There is no on screen menus during the restore, the box reboots to the bootloader and LCD screen and I think you simply press the power button to allow it to flash.

Cheers THHB - I couldn't even get to the restore option, or rather I think whatever he managed to do, he has either wiped it, or the HDD is not being recognised..

Ah feck it, wasn't planning on leaving the house, but I think I'll take a drive and get him back up and running for the rugby today..

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭robbKer

Does anyone know if there is an 'auto-standy' function anywhere on these boxes? I've searched through it and can only find the 'countdown timer' to put the box on standby but no auto-standby (which would shut down the box after a certain period on non-use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

robbKer wrote: »
    Does anyone know if there is an 'auto-standy' function anywhere on these boxes? I've searched through it and can only find the 'countdown timer' to put the box on standby but no auto-standby (which would shut down the box after a certain period on non-use.

If HDMI CEC control is enabled it should go into standby when the TV is switched off. Alternatively it should be possible to create a 'cron job' to shutdown at a particular time. Others with more linux skills would know more about this.

If HDMI CEC control is enabled it should go into standby when the TV is switched off. Alternatively it should be possible to create a 'cron job' to shutdown at a particular time. Others with more linux skills would know more about this.

oK, thanks for that, I had to disable the HDMI CEC feature as it was causing confusion.My mum tends to leave the box running all the time overnight so I thought there might be an easier way to have the box go into standby. There are apparently some 'plugins' that might work but I'm not that well up on installing them etc.

I wouldn't worry about leaving it on all night for what little extra electricity it uses would be minuscule.

With the older Amiko Aliens I used to leave it on all the time as I found it was far more stable that way.

I wouldn't worry about leaving it on all night for what little extra electricity it uses would be minuscule.

With the older Amiko Aliens I used to leave it on all the time as I found it was far more stable that way.

I wasn't too concerned about consumption as I understand there isn't much between the various status' of the box. I was more thinking of the fan constantly spinning and consequently wear and tare. Guess I'll leave it as is and see how it goes.... thanks for your help.

• Advertisement

macthaidhg wrote: »
    Thanks to this thread I've been able to set up two of these boxes for family members who have happiliy ditched sky. I'm conscious that WoS is out of stock and it's looking like it could become more of a struggle to get hold these boxes going forward. Is anybody looking ahead to something with a similar spec (i.e. triple tuner, 2x DVB-S2X + 1 x DVB-C/T2)? I had a look at the WoS page and the Zgemma H7S Triple Tuner Combo 2x DVB-S2X + 1x DVB-C/T2 Linux Enigma2 got my attention. I'm reluctant to move away from the Tiviar but if everthing is essentially the same, other than having to configure images, does this look like a good candidate for similar price? Anybody have any experience with this model?

Lads just a gentle bump on this. I don't know enough about e2 boxes to make comparisons so any advice would be appreciated.

Someone was asking a while back about e2player not updating. (not sure which thread it was) This was finally updated on 30th Jan after a gap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,577 ✭✭✭swoofer

did it update automaticallY?

You can do an update from within the plugin itself or it will happen as part of a general software update if you run that instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,891 ✭✭✭Zardoz

macthaidhg wrote: »
    Lads just a gentle bump on this. I don't know enough about e2 boxes to make comparisons so any advice would be appreciated.

It looks a good box ,I believe it is a knock off of the Mutant HD51 but has an extra built in terrestrial tuner.

Its an Arm chipset based receiver so its more powerful than the Tiviar ,its also a 4k receiver ,plays x265 files and will have a sharper picture than the Tiviar which is Mips based.

Specs wise it ticks every box ,I've no idea how it performs software wise though.

I have the Mutant HD51 ,its a great receiver .

I didnt realise that WOS were selling Zgemma receivers as for years they boycotted Zgemma products dismissing them as clones .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,577 ✭✭✭swoofer

Mine wont update!! Is it a case of deleting old and re-installing? Dont like doing general updates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,483 ✭✭✭greasepalm

The newer zgemma boxes are nothing like their older cloned boxes and are better built now and have better support with openvix now doing images for them.
    Nothing has changed on the older cloned ones=no openvix supported images.

Depending how old an image will have a bearing on updates,if you have an internal hdd do an image backup first.
    It may depend if you can download a newer image to box and then install it from there.

Reflashing from a new image and setting up from the start with wizard will take a bit of time,sometimes settings restore works but if not compatible with current images because of changes might not work.
    New scans and newer abm plugins and other things come with latest images.

swoofer wrote: »
    Mine wont update!! Is it a case of deleting old and re-installing? Dont like doing general updates.

I did it as part of a general update but then I'm reckless like that :D

As always, if in doubt do a backup first. In fact do a backup first, as always.

There's an echo in here, here, here

Zardoz wrote: »
    It looks a good box ,I believe it is a knock off of the Mutant HD51 but has an extra built in terrestrial tuner.

Its an Arm chipset based receiver so its more powerful than the Tiviar ,its also a 4k receiver ,plays x265 files and will have a sharper picture than the Tiviar which is Mips based.

Specs wise it ticks every box ,I've no idea how it performs software wise though.

I have the Mutant HD51 ,its a great receiver .

I didnt realise that WOS were selling Zgemma receivers as for years they boycotted Zgemma products dismissing them as clones .

Thanks Zardoz. Having considered it over the weekend instinct is telling me to stick with the Tiviar, if I can get hold of one. I'm only interested in 1080p although the Zgemma might be a little nippier. I think I prefer having the reassurance of refering to the knowledgebase here rather than trying to figure out a new box for myself. I'd love to give the Zgemma a go though! I see from the remote that there is no 'TV' option so I'm guessing it doesn't allow for the TV to paired, however I prefer using HDMI CEC if it works.

If you go onto the original Tiviar lsiting on WoS they now redirect you to the Zgemma as the alternative triple tuner option. Maybe they see this as the next generation receiver for fans of the Tiviar.

• Advertisement

greasepalm wrote: »
    The newer zgemma boxes are nothing like their older cloned boxes and are better built now and have better support with openvix now doing images for them.
    Nothing has changed on the older cloned ones=no openvix supported images.

Depending how old an image will have a bearing on updates,if you have an internal hdd do an image backup first.
    It may depend if you can download a newer image to box and then install it from there.

Reflashing from a new image and setting up from the start with wizard will take a bit of time,sometimes settings restore works but if not compatible with current images because of changes might not work.
    New scans and newer abm plugins and other things come with latest images.

Thanks Greasepalm. I think it is certainly a good alternative for people looking for 4k. Decent price on WoS also (£109).

I did it as part of a general update but then I'm reckless like that :D

As always, if in doubt do a backup first. In fact do a backup first, as always.

There's an echo in here, here, here

Great advice Gerry. Put it up in big letters once a week. :) . Just did mine for the first time in ages

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭GSRNBP

I'm going crazy trying to find the menu where you change the location for the weather? Can anyone point me in the right direction?

GSRNBP wrote: »
    I'm going crazy trying to find the menu where you change the location for the weather? Can anyone point me in the right direction?

It's in the mymetrix plugin

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭GSRNBP

It's in the mymetrix plugin
    Thanks. Will my box automatically update to the new version of openATV when it is released?

GSRNBP wrote: »
    Thanks. Will my box automatically update to the new version of openATV when it is released?

No, updates are not a great idea, they usually cause problems. A clean flash is best. I'll get around to building a new image one of the days

• Advertisement

No, updates are not a great idea, they usually cause problems. A clean flash is best. I'll get around to building a new image one of the days

I agree with that advice, particularly as the plugins supported changes from release to release. As a general rule, updating without a good reason is not advised. (In other words unless there is new functionality you’re looking for, or a problem that’s supposed to be fixed, leave well alone.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,891 ✭✭✭Zardoz

You can do a new flash online after backing up your settings and plugins .
    This will install a new image off the server and reimport your settings and plugins back in.(I think it reinstalls the newest version of plugins too off the server)

I find this works perfectly .

The install updates option is unreliable though as you said .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭McBain11

Lads, if I want to record 1 saoirview while watching another channel, do i get something like this and just pop it into the back of the box?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/NooElec-NESDR-Mini-Receiver-RTL2832U/dp/B00VZ1AWQA/ref=sr_1_2?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1549367598&sr=1-2&keywords=RealTek+RTL2832U

Or are there other options?

McBain11 wrote: »
    Lads, if I want to record 1 saoirview while watching another channel, do i get something like this and just pop it into the back of the box?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/NooElec-NESDR-Mini-Receiver-RTL2832U/dp/B00VZ1AWQA/ref=sr_1_2?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1549367598&sr=1-2&keywords=RealTek+RTL2832U

There are simpler options. If you have a saorview compatible tv then loop through the aeriel from the coaxial OUT port on the box to the coaxial IN on the tv.

You can then watch the live saorview programme on the tv using the tv's tuner and record the second saorview channel on the box.

You can buy a cable to do that for about €2

Trevord wrote: »
    There are simpler options. If you have a saorview compatible tv then loop through the aeriel from the coaxial OUT port on the box to the coaxial IN on the tv.

You can then watch the live saorview programme on the tv using the tv's tuner and record the second saorview channel on the box.

You can buy a cable to do that for about €2

Is that the same loop in loop out cable they give you with the tiviar box? I'll just need to get a longer version of that so.

Thanks a million.

• Advertisement

Is that the same loop in loop out cable they give you with the tiviar box? I'll just need to get a longer version of that so.

Thanks a million.

You might even have one left over from the VHS days.

I use one of these.

3-way-passive-tv-splitter.jpg

I know THHB or Gerry W had reservations about them a few pages back but it works for me. Maybe because I'm only 7 Km from Truskmore with clear line of sight. (1) goes through the wall to the kitchen to the kitchen (2) goes to the TV and (3) goes to the Tiviar.

I had this set up before one of the lads suggested the "loop out from TA+" option, Which is a much handier option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,483 ✭✭✭greasepalm

With usb tuners they have to be supported by box as drivers would need to be downloaded for that device and box rebooted then its seen.
    Unless someone has that one working on an e2 box ?

https://www.freetv.ie/usb-dvb-t2-tuner/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 72 ✭✭c ashelmore

I have this one working from amazon for £13 -.Zerone R820T DVB-T Receiver, USB 2.0 Digital DVB-T SDR+DAB+FM HDTV TV Tuner Receiver Stick RTL2832U+R8202 .There is a similiar one for sale for £12.

Have a box full of old tv cables, but alas not the one I need for the job!! Will get a hold of that in the next few days.

I will play around at some point with the webif setup, but am i right in saying I don't need to do any of that to get the picons on? I just put them on a USB stick and into the back of the tiviar? Is there nothing else to it?

Btw I'm on NCM image if that makes any difference to putting picons on!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭MileHighGuy

Just wanted to post a big thank you to THHB, NCM and all the posters on this thread. Just in the final stages of setting up the Tiviar, picons, skins, plugins, bouquets, hard drives and auto timers, the lot!.... Absolutely no way I could have negotiated this minefield without the questions and answers posted here.

If anyone is still on the fence at this stage about getting one, go ahead and pull the trigger - this thing is very impressive. It is now sharing the satellite feeds, hard drive recordings and IPTV channels to multiple devices around the house including my nVidia Shield, which picks it up as a tuner straight away and has some absolutely brilliant front ends which aggregates everything into one EPG.

Question hopefully someone can answer. Have a home cinema amp that all devices provide hdmi input to.

Everthing allows the volume control from the amp be displayed on the TV. Sky HD box, android box, ps4 blue ray. All except the alpha box. Is there some setting that I need to change to let the amps volume display show up on the TV?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 309 ✭✭whoami1

For the past few days, I have come down in the morning and found that the box is not in standby but instead is fully powered up, but the TV is not on. Initially I thought that I'd left it running while using my media player on another HDMI input, but last night I definitely turned both TV and Tiviar 'off' (standby really). This morning, the same thing happened again.

I connected via SSH, hoping to find the system log, but the dmesg command isn't installed. However, there is one clue: the timeshift directory showed files going back to at least 3:30 this morning, so I believe that whatever is happening to turn on the box occurs at or before this time.

Any clues anyone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭Payton

Payton wrote: »
    I've been away from this forum for a while. I've been busy and I've recorded a few programs over the Xmas and whilst playing them back a 2 or 3 of the just pause in the middle of the programs for about 30 seconds then they continue and through an hour long show it could pause 4 times. Anybody any ideas what it could be?
    I have no experience of this issue, but I would suspect that if your using an internal HDD that it is on the way out. Just to be sure I would copy any programmers you want to keep to another device.

Looks like my HDD gave up the ghost and I got a new HDD...How do I go through the process of setting it up and initializing it? I have installed the HDD into the box, and I'm running Open 6.1 version of the software.

• Advertisement
Advertisement