Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tiviar Alpha Plus Combo STB

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

eddie wrote: »
    Not that pushed to sell to be honest and dealing with some of the muppets on adverts would just not be worth it.. especially as they may not know what they are buying.. I can always use it as a media player on my telly down the country...........

One of these boxes setup and hidden away is great for streaming live TV and recording to tablets and laptops in web browsers and kodi. It's handy when there's 2 football games on at the same time you want to see :D

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭TheQuietBeatle

Is anyone interested selling a Tiviar second hand with hard drive? Based in Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭eddie

Is anyone interested selling a Tiviar second hand with hard drive? Based in Cork.

Sorry mine is gone... shipped out yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 309 ✭✭whoami1

I've had a problem since last weekend where the EPG will show no information for certain channels. They are mostly HD - CNN HD, BBC2 HD, Channel 4 HD - but also 5Spike+1, Travel Channel, Travel Channel +1, Now 80s and Now 90s. However, not all the HD channels have this problem.

If I change to any of those channels, then the EPG will populate with now and next information only, but once the current program is over that information will go again. I can get a full EPG on the SD versions of the affected HD channels, but can do nothing for the affected SD channels.

Now for confession time: I stuck with The high horse brigade's image pretty much as standard up to last weekend, but then went to update it and the system reported that it was extremely out-of-date, so I proceeded to update it, which is probably when the issues started. I then updated the system yesterday via the online updater to OpenATV 6.2, but the problems remain and introduced new behaviour: when in the full-screen channel listing, I used to be able to press the Menu button to get the full EPG for a particular channel. Now I have to press the EPG button instead.

This post is as much a warning of the perils of updating a customised image as a search for people with similar experiences. I will probably end up going back to the original image as supplied by The high horse brigade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

@whoami

As I recall those are the channels that do not load the epg from one of the over the air sources. Its either the Freesat OTA TP or the SkyOpenEPG one. I think its the latter.

THHB should be able to tell you what source he has setup for OTA EPG updates. You can then switch to the other or the Rythec online one.

Its a bit late now for you, but never update the software online. Most of the time it will simply fail. Othertimes it will temporarily brick the box until you manually force install the image again from a USB stick. It is one of the shortfalls of the E2 images that after a certain time the repository for the version of the image you are using is updated so regularly that the plugins are no longer available, forcing the user to upgrade the firmware and start from scratch, so if this is all chinese to you, you are dependent on someone sharing their latest customisable image. Seems to quite a community using these here now, so it shouldn't be an issue.

whoami1 wrote: »
    I've had a problem since last weekend where the EPG will show no information for certain channels. They are mostly HD - CNN HD, BBC2 HD, Channel 4 HD - but also 5Spike+1, Travel Channel, Travel Channel +1, Now 80s and Now 90s. However, not all the HD channels have this problem.

If I change to any of those channels, then the EPG will populate with now and next information only, but once the current program is over that information will go again. I can get a full EPG on the SD versions of the affected HD channels, but can do nothing for the affected SD channels.

Now for confession time: I stuck with The high horse brigade's image pretty much as standard up to last weekend, but then went to update it and the system reported that it was extremely out-of-date, so I proceeded to update it, which is probably when the issues started. I then updated the system yesterday via the online updater to OpenATV 6.2, but the problems remain and introduced new behaviour: when in the full-screen channel listing, I used to be able to press the Menu button to get the full EPG for a particular channel. Now I have to press the EPG button instead.

This post is as much a warning of the perils of updating a customised image as a search for people with similar experiences. I will probably end up going back to the original image as supplied by The high horse brigade.

My image is really outdated now that updating some packages will break things. I've never updated mine. I've been meaning to build a new image just never got around to it. Also, mine has been so stable I've seen no reason to. We don't watch much live TV mostly use the box for recording.

To fix your image I would start with a full satellite scan with clear before scan enabled. Then go into the autobouquetmaker plugin, confirm it's configured correctly and do a scan. Then last go into CrossEpg, confirm it's configured right and set to save to your hard drive and do an epg download

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 309 ✭✭whoami1

My image is really outdated now that updating some packages will break things. I've never updated mine. I've been meaning to build a new image just never got around to it. Also, mine has been so stable I've seen no reason to. We don't watch much live TV mostly use the box for recording.

To fix your image I would start with a full satellite scan with clear before scan enabled. Then go into the autobouquetmaker plugin, confirm it's configured correctly and do a scan. Then last go into CrossEpg, confirm it's configured right and set to save to your hard drive and do an epg download

Many thanks for the quick reply. I will check that out later. I did do a rescan, but didn't choose the clear before scan option.

Edit: it's ok lads I found the Tiviar manual and code, got it working

Anyone know how to sync the Tiviar remote to your TV? Mines a Sony Bravia KDL 32BX320

I had it working before but after a box reset not working

Go into the HDMI CEC menu on the Tiviar and play with that. You can set the TV to switch off/wake from standby.

Make sure your box is connected to the HDMI CEC input on the TV (not all TV's HDMI inputs are CEC enabled, its usually port 1 by default, especially on the Samsungs).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 439 ✭✭mburke

Hi,

I use the The high horse brigade's image and am wondering can you play the recordings to a laptop / pc? I can play the tv channels without any issue but when I look at the recordings via the web interface I have the choice of vlc and html but neither work to play recorded shows. Just wondering what I am missing here, any advice welcome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 951 ✭✭✭Trevord

mburke wrote: »
    Hi,

I use the The high horse brigade's image and am wondering can you play the recordings to a laptop / pc? I can play the tv channels without any issue but when I look at the recordings via the web interface I have the choice of vlc and html but neither work to play recorded shows. Just wondering what I am missing here, any advice welcome.

If you map the Tiviar's drive to your laptop you should be able to copy the programme to your laptop and watch it that way. Box will need to be connected to same wifi network.

You might even be able to watch it that way without copying it across - haven't tried it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,577 ✭✭✭swoofer

I cant seem to download plugins at the moment on 2 boxes with the THHB image. It is ok on other boxes!! eg solo2

help

mburke wrote: »
    Hi,

If you are using OpenWEBIF to peruse the files, you click on Movies on the left hand side. It now pulls up the drives mounted, peruse to the directory containing the recordings. Click the Disk like ICON and it will download it to your laptop and then you can play it with VLC/PotPlayer.
    swoofer wrote: »
    I cant seem to download plugins at the moment on 2 boxes with the THHB image. It is ok on other boxes!! eg solo2

help

Plugins are taken down when your image gets too old. This is because the plugins may have been updated and might no longer be compatible with the older image you are using.

You will have to download the latest image and rebuild or wait for THHB/Clareman to update, rebuild and upload their images. If there is really a plugin that you need you could always download the IPK separately to a USB stick or stick it TMP using filezilla and manually install from there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭gar

Hi

Have a strange problem. Installed driver for RT5370 usb WiFi dongle and then backed up my image before installing on another box that has no ethernet access.
    Can't get it connect to the WiFi.
    Uninstalled another usb driver which can cause conflict 2800 I think.
    I can see the ssid on the box and have put in the correct password but won't connect. Have disabled WiFi password and then it'll connect. Any ideas?
    Key is WPA2 and that option is selected in the config.
    Password length is 13 digits

Only want to use powerline adaptor as a last resort

Thanks

Gar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭NewClareman

swoofer wrote: »

help

I’ll be doing a new image based on OpenATV 6.3 in the next week, or so. If there’s a specific plugin you want me to include, let me know and I’ll do my best.

@Gar. Guessing you don't want to change the main password.

Setup a guest SSID probably the best with a simple password (known work around - last 2 lines). WP2A has vulnerabilities anyway on some Realtek devices anyway (including the RT5370).

https://github.com/philcryer/wpa2own

• Advertisement

STB. wrote: »

Setup a guest SSID probably the best with a simple password (known work around - last 2 lines). WP2A has vulnerabilities anyway on some Realtek devices anyway (including the RT5370).

Cheers for that. I'll give the work around a lash and if not try the simpler password solution.

Thanks again

Is this a good alternative to Tiviar? - https://m.ebay.ie/itm/Genuine-Zgemma-H9S-4K-UHD-DVB-S2X-Satellite-Single-Tuner-IRL-Stock/322407246087?_trkparms=aid=111001&algo=REC.SEED&ao=1&asc=20180105095858&meid=6bf1e9d09d164813ab05e6a548028503&pid=100904&rk=1&rkt=14&sd=322407246087&itm=322407246087&_trksid=p2509164.c100904.m5276

The price seems to be good to be true if similar spec.

Also is there an image from a poster on here I can use for H9S? Like the Tiviar images?

I'm moving over from Kodi so apologies if noob questions and wife is suspect so need to get this right.

Edit: The above link doesn't seem to work, title on Ebay is Genuine Zgemma H9S 4K UHD DVB-S2X Satellite Single Tuner IRL Stock !

Is this a good alternative to Tiviar? - https://m.ebay.ie/itm/Genuine-Zgemma-H9S-4K-UHD-DVB-S2X-Satellite-Single-Tuner-IRL-Stock/322407246087?_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20180105095858%26meid%3D6bf1e9d09d164813ab05e6a548028503%26pid%3D100904%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D14%26sd%3D322407246087%26itm%3D322407246087&_trksid=p2509164.c100904.m5276

Also is there an image from a poster on here I can use for H9S? Like the Tiviar images?

I'm moving over from Kodi so apologies if noob questions and wife is suspect so need to get this right.

Edit: The above link doesn't seem to work, title on Ebay is Genuine Zgemma H9S 4K UHD DVB-S2X Satellite Single Tuner IRL Stock !

Thats a single satellite tuner box. The Tiviar is 2 satellite tuners and 1 terrestrial (Saorview). Its nothing like the spec of the Tiviar QuietBeatle

It's probably safer to just go with WOS for the Zgemma H7S. Is there an image available for that?

It's probably safer to just go with WOS for the Zgemma H7S. Is there an image available for that?

H7S - Dont know is there is a support thread on boards. Start one!

Tiviar is still available by the way. 150 quid from vortex-satellite (related to owner of satworld) on ebay. Think they are down in Kimmage but free delivery anyway in Ireland

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/Tiviar-Alpha-Plus-Triple-Tuner-Combo/251666030428

Also 150 from a guy in Swords

https://www.adverts.ie/satellite/tiviar-alpha-plus-triple-tuner-combo/16702965

BTW you wont run Kodi on one of these. So no netflix

• Advertisement

I saw the Ebay option but would prefer the internal hard drive included.

Thanks for the quick replies and help.

I saw the Ebay option but would prefer the internal hard drive included.

Thanks for the quick replies and help.

Yeah no problem. They take a 2.5" SATA HDD. You'll pick one up a 1tb on ebay/amazon for less than 40 euro.

Easy to fit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,973 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

Yeah no problem. They take a 2.5" SATA HDD. You'll pick one up a 1tb on ebay/amazon for less than 40 euro.

Easy to fit.

Are they same ones in old Sky HD boxes?

Update

Tried to simplify password but virigin require 10 characters of upper lower and number so that didn't work.
    Used home plugs and all working now.

Cheers

Gar

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭peking97

A few times in the past month or so my Tiviar locks up with 04:00 permanently displaying and I cant log-in to it. Just appears to be frozen. I have to switch OFF/ON at rear to restore normal ops. Any ideas?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,483 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Any updates set up to run like epg or abm at that time ?

greasepalm wrote: »
    Any updates set up to run like epg or abm at that time ?

Yeah. Just checked and CrossEPG is set to download every morning at 04:00. I suppose that might explain the display but it shouldn't lock up the box should it? Or perhaps it would if the download cannot complete?

peking97 wrote: »
    Yeah. Just checked and CrossEPG is set to download every morning at 04:00. I suppose that might explain the display but it shouldn't lock up the box should it? Or perhaps it would if the download cannot complete?

Double check the CrossEpg plugin is saving to your hard drive not the internal flash as this would crash the box

Double check the CrossEpg plugin is saving to your hard drive not the internal flash as this would crash the box

Just checked and it was set to save to something designated as HGST HTS545050A so I changed it to HardDisk TiviarA+ so we'll see!

Cross epg might be old and needing an update as i have had a few freezes on boxes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

Has anyone used the tiviar as a NAS? I'm trying to setup a raspberry pi as a torrent box and I want to set the download location to the tiviar drive.

Before I spend time trying it, is it even possible?

EDIT: Got it working this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 basemann

Is this a good alternative to Tiviar? - https://m.ebay.ie/itm/Genuine-Zgemma-H9S-4K-UHD-DVB-S2X-Satellite-Single-Tuner-IRL-Stock/322407246087?_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20180105095858%26meid%3D6bf1e9d09d164813ab05e6a548028503%26pid%3D100904%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D14%26sd%3D322407246087%26itm%3D322407246087&_trksid=p2509164.c100904.m5276

Hi, You need the Zgemma H7S as it has 3x tuners. It is excellent and as good as the alpha with Kodi! I wanted to go with the alpha as it is well supported here but the H7s has a better specs for the same price. After getting it I found the support covers both boxes as they both use the same enigma. atv. vix software. I wrote a guide on boards - search zgemma H7s - on the main things to get the box set up,

basemann wrote: »
    Hi, You need the Zgemma H7S as it has 3x tuners. It is excellent and as good as the alpha with Kodi! I wanted to go with the alpha as it is well supported here but the H7s has a better specs for the same price. After getting it I found the support covers both boxes as they both use the same enigma. atv. vix software. I wrote a guide on boards - search zgemma H7s - on the main things to get the box set up,

The Tiviar became very popular because of the support we gave them in this thread. There are ready made images, both myself and Clareman released images from our boxes which made setting up from scratch very easy to anyone new and unfamiliar. You could do the same now you've got yours setup (in its own thread) and the support will follow. The Tiviar has been a great box but it may be time for it to lose its crown to more modern hardware now that they've become harder to get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭NewClareman

basemann wrote: »

The Alphaplus is pants with Kodi, so much so that I ended up uninstalling it. As far as I know the H7S uses hardware decoding and should work well with it. Can you confirm this.

The main difference between the support for the two boxes is that the Alphaplus images have most of the Configuration done for you. The biggest work was setting up bouquets that include the Irish channels and that auto update using Autobouquetmaker. I can make the customised files available online if you’re interested. (They should work out-of-the-box once you install ABM on the H7S.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 215 ✭✭glog

Where is anyone getting their Zgemma H7S?

Anywhere in Ireland? None of the regular guys seem to have them.

TIA
    gLog

World of satellite in uk do zgemma boxes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,891 ✭✭✭Zardoz

The Alphaplus is pants with Kodi, so much so that I ended up uninstalling it. As far as I know the H7S uses hardware decoding and should work well with it. Can you confirm this.

I have the Mutant HD51 which is the same hardware as the Zgemma H7.
    Kodi doesnt work on Openatv 6.3 ,it does on 6.2 .

I prefer E2iplayer to Kodi though ,I find it much more reliable and slicker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

Zardoz wrote: »
    I have the Mutant HD51 which is the same hardware as the Zgemma H7.
    Kodi doesnt work on Openatv 6.3 ,it does on 6.2 .

I prefer E2iplayer to Kodi though ,I find it much more reliable and slicker.

Hi Zardoz, Is your E2iplayer working? could you share what you did to get it up and running again if it is please?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,891 ✭✭✭Zardoz

A2LUE42 wrote: »
    Hi Zardoz, Is your E2iplayer working? could you share what you did to get it up and running again if it is please?

Its working yes ,I watched something on Cartoon HD last night.
    I havent made any changes to it in weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭MileHighGuy

I've finally bade Sky goodbye and set up the second Tiviar Box in the main room. I hadn't seen it mentioned in the thread thus far, but I enabled the Fallback Receiver option on both boxes, and they dynamically share tuners in the event both are being used to watch/record at the same time, so each has effectively 4 x sat and 2 x terrestrial tuners.

This can also be used (apparently) to share the channels from a server box onto a client box if it is not possible to run cables to the client box for some reason, though I haven't tested this myself.

I've finally bade Sky goodbye and set up the second Tiviar Box in the main room. I hadn't seen it mentioned in the thread thus far, but I enabled the Fallback Receiver option on both boxes, and they dynamically share tuners in the event both are being used to watch/record at the same time, so each has effectively 4 x sat and 2 x terrestrial tuners.

This can also be used (apparently) to share the channels from a server box onto a client box if it is not possible to run cables to the client box for some reason, though I haven't tested this myself.

I've heard of that before but have never investigated. Where is that setting? Or is it a plugin?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭MileHighGuy

I've heard of that before but have never investigated. Where is that setting? Or is it a plugin?

Not a plugin, baked into enigma2 AFAIK.

From memory on Open ATV 6.2 it is in Setup>Usage & GUI>Customisation>
    An odd place to find it I thought. I think it is elsewhere on other builds (service searching maybe?)

I'll double check later.

Not a plugin, baked into enigma2 AFAIK.

From memory on Open ATV 6.2 it is in Setup>Usage & GUI>Customisation>
    An odd place to find it I thought. I think it is elsewhere on other builds (service searching maybe?)

I'll double check later.

Yeah that's exactly where it is, I'm also running OpenATV. Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

I've been using the telly mote app on a discarded iPhone 5 for the last year. The phone has finally calved.

Can anyone recommend a good app for an Android phone? Not worried about the cost. I'd like a few recommendations before I fork out. Just don't want to buy a pig in a bag.

TIA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭tinner777

external hard dive just for movies etc.. powered or not??

• Advertisement

sligojoek wrote: »
    I've been using the telly mote app on a discarded iPhone 5 for the last year. The phone has finally calved.

Can anyone recommend a good app for an Android phone? Not worried about the cost. I'd like a few recommendations before I fork out. Just don't want to buy a pig in a bag.

TIA

It's funny how Apple users just expect to pay for apps, it's Android, most are free. Try Dreamdroid but there are lots of other free ones.

THanks THHB. That looks to be just what I want. However I'm having trouble connecting, Hope you can help. I'm attaching a screenshot of the settings.

It's been so long since I've been in the settings of the box I forget a lot of what goes on.

480645.png

THanks THHB. That looks to be just what I want. However I'm having trouble connecting, Hope you can help. I'm attaching a screenshot of the settings.

It's been so long since I've been in the settings of the box I forget a lot of what goes on.

[IMG]hxxps://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=480645&stc=1&d=1558216431[/IMG]

Go to the openwebif plugin, you set those settings there. Or take a pic of there and I'll tell you what to put in

Is this the one?

480652.jpg

Is this the one?

480652.jpg

If it's just in your house use port 80, disable Https and disable login in webif by setting http authentication to no or disabled

• Advertisement
Advertisement