Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tiviar Alpha Plus Combo STB

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,515 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Saorview needs an aerial To rf in.
    How is the wifi used to connect as better with a direct lan cable

Scroll left or right you should have an option for not configured

One more question, I went to record the news tonight on rte at 6, I set it to add auto timer but it only set it to record the news at six every Sunday, I assumed it would do it every day. How do I get it to record every instant of a show on a channel?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

One more question, I went to record the news tonight on rte at 6, I set it to add auto timer but it only set it to record the news at six every Sunday, I assumed it would do it every day. How do I get it to record every instant of a show on a channel?

Go back in and edit the auto timer, all the parameters are flashed there before you for you to alter as you configure it. You'll get the hang of it.

On my e2 boxes i go to that channel and press the red button to bring up my epg of that channel,scroll down to program you want to record and press green and green again for 1 recording.
    If you look at the setup you can set daily or weekly recordings if needed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

greasepalm wrote: »
    Saorview needs an aerial To rf in.
    How is the wifi used to connect as better with a direct lan cable

There seems to be an f connection from the aerial box on the wall to the STB, tuner 2

Is there any way of splitting the connection to the aerial connection on STB.

Its a hybrid lnb.

• Advertisement

There seems to be an f connection from the aerial box on the wall to the STB, tuner 2

Is there any way of splitting the connection to the aerial connection on STB.

Its a hybrid lnb.

You will need a diplexer to split them back out if its not built into the socket plate
    https://www.satellite.ie/acatalog/Satellite-UHF-combiner-outdoor.html?gclid=Cj0KCQjw-b7qBRDPARIsADVbUbUoQbMb9wjdYKW9ei3P28xLKBzmAmekbXFHBJMqkzPQStSJ1qD8dG8aApZVEALw_wcB

Curious he says its a hybrid lnb but is the box in the room a Sky Q box or a standard one,if its a Q box can a diplexer still work?

greasepalm wrote: »
    Curious he says its a hybrid lnb but is the box in the room a Sky Q box or a standard one,if its a Q box can a diplexer still work?

Ah, he needs to clarify, I took it since he mentioned aerial that his hybrid was UHF and satellite combined

Ah, he needs to clarify, I took it since he mentioned aerial that his hybrid was UHF and satellite combined

To clarify.
    The previous owner had terrestrial .
    I got skyq and the installer put s hybrid lnb on the dish.
    I've now moved to a tiviar.

Seems to be an aerial connector and another cable both of which went into the sky q.
    The cable from the connector is https://www.freetv.ie/male-coaxial-to-f-connector-cable/

Would a wall diplexer be better? I assume it's only connecting a single cable that goes into the existing aerial connector box
    https://www.freetv.ie/diplexer-wall-plate/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,615 ✭✭✭swoofer

I may be wrong but its possible when sky q was installed the guy used the aerial caox as the second feed. Is aerial in situ and can you chase lead.

Have you considered a unicable lnb? This would mean you can use one cable from dish to box and use the other cable for terrestial.

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭cuculainn

Apologies if this question has already been addressed in the thread but I couldn't find the answer. I want to play recorded programs on another TV via DLNA. However when I try to install the plugin on the tiviar box it doesn't work. Has anyone done this?

Also I want to add movies to the hard drive. How do I get these to show up on the list?

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,562 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

cuculainn wrote: »
    Apologies if this question has already been addressed in the thread but I couldn't find the answer. I want to play recorded programs on another TV via DLNA. However when I try to install the plugin on the tiviar box it doesn't work. Has anyone done this?

Also I want to add movies to the hard drive. How do I get these to show up on the list?

Thanks

Sometimes MiniDNLA needs to be enabled after installing the plugin.
    MENU>SETUP>SYSTEM>NETWORK>MINIDNLA SETUP
    and check the settings there to START and enable AUTOSTART. It's usually reliable after that.
    Assuming your box is on your home network, it should show up on a PC file explorer. From memory (haven't used windoze in years), the box HDD should be readily accessible under the network tab.
    A more cumbersome method is to install a plugin called "dreamexplorer". It's a VERY basic file explorer but it would allow you to access a USB key to copy files to the main movie folder.

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭zaphodbeeb

Interested in this option.

If not I may just buy the Tiviar, although the Zgemma seems a better box and cheaper. That said, if I can just download config files from here and have the irish and UK stations sorted with no headaches, it'd be worth the few extra quid, and it looks the business! :)

Also, the Zgemma has all sorts of options in terms of firmware - I'm clueless here - what should I go with if I were getting it?
    - Factory Default
    - OpenViX
    - OpenPli (nightly build)
    - OpenATV
    - PurE2

Very confused :)

-ZB

I like simple and use openvix images.

Most enigma2 based Linux boxes can be configured in a similar manner to the Tiviar mentioned here. The firmware options could be considered similar to a PCs base operating system. You can then add whatever utilities you want on top of the basic ones that come by default. In enigma2 they are referred to as "plugins". Examples would be "cooltvguide" which provides a fancier onscreen EPG or "autotimer" which acts like a very comprehensive series linking, etc. In many cases the default plugins and settings suit for starters. As you get more familiar with the box (and the lingo) you can add extra features or tweak it your own preference. One of the greatest features on enigma2 is the ability to easily make backups of your settings or even the entire image, and just as easily restore them if you really mess it up ;)
    For firmware my personal choice is openATV which has a good spread of plugins by default.. The hardest part of setting up a system the first time, is sorting the channels into an order you like. However once you've done this you will back this up for future reference, wont you?
    If I was in the market for another box just now, I would opt for the Zgemma H7S. Make sure it is the one with 2x DVB-S2 tuners and 1 x DVB-T not the other way round.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

Anyone on here using that zgemma for iptv?

The Autobouquetmaker plugin for automatic updating of Freesat and Saorview channel lists and the Crossepg plugin for daily 7 day epg downloads are the most important plugins for you to get your head around no matter what Enigma2 image you are running

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

HI lads. I see Saorview are changing frequencies . WIll I need to retune around this time of does it happen automatically?
    Channels:
    Before Sept: 53, 57
    From Sept: 42, 45

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭SierraTango

I bought the Tiviar Alpha + and it came with the factory image, didn't have an option for firmware. Can I flash this to the THHB or NewClaremen image?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭NewClareman

I bought the Tiviar Alpha + and it came with the factory image, didn't have an option for firmware. Can I flash this to the THHB or NewClaremen image?

No problem at all, read this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

Nigzcurran wrote: »
    Anyone on here using that zgemma for iptv?

I tried it for a while on the tiviar. Found it glitchy and went back to dedicated device for IPTV

I tried it for a while on the tiviar. Found it glitchy and went back to dedicated device for IPTV

I use the Tiviar for a small amount of IPTV, without any issue. The Kodi player doesn’t work very well, however.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Trapapony

Hello,
    I am using the Tiviar Alpha Plus. It is running the native operating system as I never downloaded any other software onto it. All works fine except some of my channels no longer appear. If I go on to CNN, France24 or PBS America I get an error message: "No signal (Tuner-1)". These all worked fine until fairly recently. Most of my free music channels are also no longer available and now just show the error message: "Service Error". Otherwise the box works fine and I can view all other free British/Irish channels. I have not tried rerunning a full channel search as it would mean sorting the channels afterwards into a sensible order which takes quite a while. But I will do this if I have to.
    In the meantime can anyone tell me how to retrieve my missing channels individually?
    Thanks
    Trap.

Trapapony wrote: »
    Hello,
    I am using the Tiviar Alpha Plus. It is running the native operating system as I never downloaded any other software onto it. All works fine except some of my channels no longer appear. If I go on to CNN, France24 or PBS America I get an error message: "No signal (Tuner-1)". These all worked fine until fairly recently. Most of my free music channels are also no longer available and now just show the error message: "Service Error". Otherwise the box works fine and I can view all other free British/Irish channels. I have not tried rerunning a full channel search as it would mean sorting the channels afterwards into a sensible order which takes quite a while. But I will do this if I have to.
    In the meantime can anyone tell me how to retrieve my missing channels individually?
    Thanks
    Trap.

If you are using this box as a generic free to air box you will continuously lose channels as they rearrange them on the satellite by changing frequency. This thread is basically about Enigma 2 software support, we cannot support the original software as nobody here uses it.

You can easily flash the box to have a self updating channel lists, 7 day epg as well as all the other extra options enigma brings. This will take you less than an hour if you follow my guide
    https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057827739/11/#post106783394

There's is also another Enigma image thread here for this box. Newclareman has put the time into making a simpler image with a more detailed guide.
    https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057925678/1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 444 ✭✭mburke

Just wondering does a flash image of the box remove all previous configurations / settings?

The reason I ask is that the autotimer option is not working correctly and I would like to go back to original setup.

mburke wrote: »
    Just wondering does a flash image of the box remove all previous configurations / settings?

The reason I ask is that the autotimer option is not working correctly and I would like to go back to original setup.

Yes but I would just uninstall and reinstall the autotimer plugin first.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 burgerland

fdiddy110 wrote: »
    Had to send receiver back to seller as I could not get it working again.I believe lots of people have zero issues with this receiver but unfortunately it has happened to me.

I'm not sure should I accept a replacement or should I go for another receiver.

Any thoughts welcome

I have the same issue with my Tiviar Alpha plus, I can reflash it successfully but once it reboots it returns to the "Run Alpha" state and wont boot. Did you ever find out what the issue was in the end or did WOS just send a replacement?

• Advertisement

Has this just occurred, ie did box ever work? If box worked you could try a few things, like disconnect HDD, flash openatv6.3 on its own, use a different usb, some work better than others. use a different usb slot. If these fail return it. Don't forget a hard re-boot ie turn off and on at switch at rear.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 tkeogh.

does anyone know where to delete button is on the remote for the alpha tiviar remote? using the remote to type but cant find the delete button!

tkeogh. wrote: »
    does anyone know where to delete button is on the remote for the alpha tiviar remote? using the remote to type but cant find the delete button!

Have you tried the left arrow just under the 7

no left arrow under the 7 on my remote..

• Registered Users Posts: 34 burgerland

swoofer wrote: »
    Has this just occurred, ie did box ever work? If box worked you could try a few things, like disconnect HDD, flash openatv6.3 on its own, use a different usb, some work better than others. use a different usb slot. If these fail return it. Don't forget a hard re-boot ie turn off and on at switch at rear.

It has worked fine since purchase last August. I left it in standby on Saturday night and yesterday morning it had the Run Alpha+ message on its display. I got it reflashed to Open ATV 6.2 (which it was running) but once the box is rebooted it reverts to the same state. I'm going to remove the HD tonight and try another reflash - Open ATV 6.3, if it still happens I will try OpenVix.

• Advertisement

tkeogh, say what you are trying to do and I'll see if I can replicate it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 574 ✭✭✭PacMan

Thanks to the HHB and NCM, I have this great piece of kit. One question though. How do I update the picons when new channels arrive ? For example, BBC Scotland and the recent changes to the Sony movie channels.
    Do I remove the USB stick and download new picons , but from where ?
    Thanks in advance for the help.

PacMan wrote: »
    Thanks to the HHB and NCM, I have this great piece of kit. One question though. How do I update the picons when new channels arrive ? For example, BBC Scotland and the recent changes to the Sony movie channels.

You'll have to source others that won't match, MK who made that set with my image is no longer making them. You can get plugins that auto download full sets but I've never liked them, prefer high quality ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 574 ✭✭✭PacMan

MK made some very nice picons. Have done a google search, and whilst most seem out of date on some sites, others require to be registered to download.
    Will keep searching.

Thanks for the reply

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,042 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

• Advertisement

PacMan wrote: »

I use a plugin called “Dsayers Picon updater”. It has picons for all the Irish terrestrial channels, and the picon library is kept up to date. You just run it if you notice a missing icon and it updates the picon list. You do need an internet connection to the stb.

(Unfortunately, I haven’t found a way of running it automatically, as all other changes are automated.)

Hi All,
    I have a Tiviar Alpha+ with the original (Fortis) image. In order to upgrade to Enigma 2 I tried flashing it with an OpenAtv image as per World of Satellite/Vix team instructions. For all the effect it had I might as well have stuck a biscuit into the USB port. There was no special prompt from the box just the usual blue Tiviar welcome screen after which it started up as normal using its native image. I double-checked that I was following all the instructions. After the box coming on I made certain, through the remote, that the box was able to see the USB stick OK.

At this stage I have tried many variations including:
    - pressing the front power button while the welcome screen is on but this only switches off the box.
    - reformatting the USB stick.
    - trying another USB stick.
    - trying the different USB ports.
    - trying an OpenVix image.
    - using the switch at the rear to power up.
    - pressing the channel up switch at the front while switching it on at the rear - this gives "ERR 39".

Any ideas welcome.
    Thanks
    Trap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭physioman

Hi All,
    I have a Tiviar Alpha+ with the original (Fortis) image. In order to upgrade to Enigma 2 I tried flashing it with an OpenAtv image as per World of Satellite/Vix team instructions. For all the effect it had I might as well have stuck a biscuit into the USB port. There was no special prompt from the box just the usual blue Tiviar welcome screen after which it started up as normal using its native image. I double-checked that I was following all the instructions. After the box coming on I made certain, through the remote, that the box was able to see the USB stick OK.

At this stage I have tried many variations including:
    - pressing the front power button while the welcome screen is on but this only switches off the box.
    - reformatting the USB stick.
    - trying another USB stick.
    - trying the different USB ports.
    - trying an OpenVix image.
    - using the switch at the rear to power up.
    - pressing the channel up switch at the front while switching it on at the rear - this gives "ERR 39".

Any ideas welcome.
    Thanks
    Trap.

Do you not have to flash/ clear the box first? Then upload image?

physioman wrote: »
    Do you not have to flash/ clear the box first? Then upload image?

These are the instructions I use.

Look in the directory “ Converting from Fortis OS”.

Is it possible to get these boxes already flashed?
    I think it could be difficult enough to do it yourself...

Is it possible to get these boxes already flashed?
    I think it could be difficult enough to do it yourself...

No, if you get them flashed with Enigma by the supplier there is still lots of scanning and configuring you need to do. Flashing makes it easier, most of this configuring is already done.

Surely you know someone in the family that's tech savvy to follow the guide would take them an hour at most.

@physioman, oops for Trapapony

When box has original fortis imaage you cant update with a open atv image or any enigma2 image until you change the bootloader in the box. Get file go here but you may have to join.
    https://www.opena.tv/tiviar-alpha-plus/37192-tiviar-alpha-plus-switch-fortis-os-enigma2.html?highlight=tiviar

come back if stuck

Thanks for responses re going from native Fortis to Enigma2. NewClareman's procedure worked for me and it looks identical to swoofer's.

I was then able to install a pre-configured openAtv image ("openatv-6.3-tiviaraplus-20190925_usb.zip", possibly made by THHB). I thought the satellite channels might appear by magic but so far nothing. I then did an "Automatic Scan" but it found nothing. The channels were all present this morning before I made the switch from the Fortis image so the hardware and connections are probably fine. The satellite I use is Astra 19.2E.

Any ideas welcome.

Thanks
    Trap

Thanks for responses re going from native Fortis to Enigma2. NewClareman's procedure worked for me and it looks identical to swoofer's.

I was then able to install a pre-configured openAtv image ("openatv-6.3-tiviaraplus-20190925_usb.zip", possibly made by THHB). I thought the satellite channels might appear by magic but so far nothing. I then did an "Automatic Scan" but it found nothing. The channels were all present this morning before I made the switch from the Fortis image so the hardware and connections are probably fine. The satellite I use is Astra 19.2E.

Any ideas welcome.

Thanks
    Trap

Everything in my image is configured for UK Freesat on Astra 28.2e. I wouldn't know what to advise you about 19.2e. You may even need to update the satellites.xml file on the box of you're not finding any 19.2 channels. I'll investigate tomorrow for you, I'm nowhere near the box now

Well done, if you have the network set up then press green, then green again, settings, ok, the 2nd one is for 19east.

• Advertisement
Advertisement