Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tiviar Alpha Plus Combo STB

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Trapapony

< Well done, if you have the network set up then press green, then green again, settings, ok, the 2nd one is for 19east. >

Ah, the network...which leads us nicely to my next problem. I have Wifi in my house and a dongle on the box. I hunted around the OpenAtv menus but saw no evidence that the dongle has been found e.g. it is not under "Devices" (whereas my memory stick is) or "Networks". I had no joy with the network wizard either. No dongle came with the box so I bought one separately - a TP-Link Archer T2U (Linux compatible). Maybe it's the wrong one. If so what one should I buy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,483 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Dongle may need a driver download from feeds to be seen and activated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Have Sky and we don't watch anymore so going to cancel....use Netflix etc and going to buy the Disney app for kids.....

Was going to buy this but worried the box will be s**t, wife wants to be able to record shows on RTE etc.....
    https://www.satellite.ie/acatalog/Changing-from-Sky-Diy-kit.html#SID=5

I found the Tiviar and it looks good.....https://www.satworld.ie/tiviar-alpha-plus-triple-tuner-combo.html

Is it best price via Satworld and should I get enigma installed?

Anything else I need? have Sky Q in so I think I need to change LNB

Satworld may only use blackhole as i asked for another image for a vu box so you might have to ask.
    Sky q uses a different lnb and yes you will need a hybrid one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭NewClareman

Trapapony wrote: »
    Thanks for responses re going from native Fortis to Enigma2. NewClareman's procedure worked for me and it looks identical to swoofer's.

I was then able to install a pre-configured openAtv image ("openatv-6.3-tiviaraplus-20190925_usb.zip", possibly made by THHB). I thought the satellite channels might appear by magic but so far nothing. I then did an "Automatic Scan" but it found nothing. The channels were all present this morning before I made the switch from the Fortis image so the hardware and connections are probably fine. The satellite I use is Astra 19.2E.

Any ideas welcome.

Thanks
    Trap

My image, the one you installed, is optimised for 28.2E. The default configuration uses ABM to Set up the various channel lists. There’s no reason why it wouldn’t work on 19.2, but ABM would probably need to be disabled. Settings download, as suggested by swoofer, has also been disabled. You could however download a plugin by DXAndy, which I believe covers 19.2.

The default OpenATV image, is probably a better bet for you. You can flash it online, just select a clean install. You will then be able to download the settings suggested by swoofer.

Ah, the network...which leads us nicely to my next problem. I have Wifi in my house and a dongle on the box... If so what one should I buy?

Dongles do not work well with this box. If they work at all, the hang regularly. If you can’t manage a wired connection, homeplugs are your best option. A quick fix is to buy a WiFi extender, with an inbuilt LAN port. LIDL still have some stock, at about €30.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Trapapony

[QUOTE=The satellite I use is Astra 19.2E. [/QUOTE]

Actually I think I'm 28.2E like the rest of you. Sorry for any confusion.

If you were on 19.2 loads of channels in german and epg you cant read.

Actually I think I'm 28.2E like the rest of you. Sorry for any confusion.

Then my image, the one you installed, is ideal. Once the initial setup is complete it updates automatically and includes far more channels than Freesat.

This post shows you how to configure your local transmitter. Once this is done updates should be automatic.

A couple of changes, since I wrote that post:

Under ABM, Sky UK should already be set to yes, with the region set to London Thames Valley. Swap channels should be set to yes. This means that the ‘Entertainment’ Bouquet/Channel Group gives BBC London Hd and BBC 2 Hd. (The Main Channels Group gives the NI Versions, with BBC2 in Sd.) You also get CH4 HD and CNN HD.

After you have selected your local Terrestrial Transmitter, and before you scan, select update provider files in ABM. This should pick up the latest Saorview frequency changes (If they have been updated by the ABM guys.)

• Advertisement

No idea if people are still buying this box and seen it posted here.

https://www.kuul.co.uk/catalogsearch/result/?q=tiviar&cat=

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,577 ✭✭✭swoofer

its out of stock there

• Registered Users Posts: 38 vimes

Hi all,

Recently the RTE channels in my area (Cork - Spur Hill) changed from channels 45/49 to 39/45, as part of the 700 MHZ clearance. Since then, RTE One, One+1, Two+1 and Virgin 3 are completely shot to ****.

I have ABM on the box (THHB's image) but this also fails to work properly giving the error: autobouquetsreader not found.

I'm not sure how to fix this - and it is causing *ahem* issues in the peace and loving stakes in the homeplace.

Any ideas?

Sometimes abm needs updating ,what version are you on.

vimes wrote: »
    Hi all,

Recently the RTE channels in my area (Cork - Spur Hill) changed from channels 45/49 to 39/45, as part of the 700 MHZ clearance. Since then, RTE One, One+1, Two+1 and Virgin 3 are completely shot to ****.

I have ABM on the box (THHB's image) but this also fails to work properly giving the error: autobouquetsreader not found.

I'm not sure how to fix this - and it is causing *ahem* issues in the peace and loving stakes in the homeplace.

Any ideas?

I suppose the first step is to make sure you have your box tuned to the correct frequencies. (I am not sure how THHB's image is set up, so its difficult to give advice, on this.)

If you're using ABM to create bouquets, then select update provider files in ABM, after you have selected your local Terrestrial Transmitter. This should pick up the latest Saorview frequency changes (If they have been updated by the ABM guys.) Then do a scan and you should be good to go.

Once you are sure you are on the correct frequencies you can check the signal strength and quality, for each mux. If the quality is low, you might have an issue with local interference, or your existing aerial may not be suitable for the new frequencies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Menu >> Set up >> Service Searching.

You can do automatic or manual searching after that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 vimes

If you're using ABM to create bouquets, then select update provider files in ABM, after you have selected your local Terrestrial Transmitter.

How/where is that setting located?
    This should pick up the latest Saorview frequency changes (If they have been updated by the ABM guys.) Then do a scan and you should be good to go.

... but every time I do an abs scan - every time the box does it itself for instance - it fails with the auto bouquets reader error...

Thanks for the help, newclareman, I just wish I had the time to get to know this system better.

vimes wrote: »
    How/where is that setting located?

... but every time I do an abs scan - every time the box does it itself for instance - it fails with the auto bouquets reader error...

Thanks for the help, newclareman, I just wish I had the time to get to know this system better.

I get that error if I haven’t set up the correct Terrestrial transmitter on ABM. Search on the forum for Saorview and you should find my posts which explain what to do.

sligojoek wrote: »
    Menu >> Set up >> Service Searching.

You can do automatic or manual searching after that.

If using the current version of ABM, the transmitter needs to be set up in ABM.

Cheers. I didn't know that.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,147 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I'm definitely going to buy one of these. Played around with similar a few years back, so flashing etc not a problem. Do I get it with the factory image? Should I order with the hard drive, or buy one from Amazon or something? Does it have the cabling required inside, or do I need a sata cable?

• Advertisement

I would say these modified images would not be available at source and some sellers may offer a choice of image ,as wos when then sold them might have offered openvix,atv,pli etc rather than factory image.Some people get Atv and upgrade from there.Might have been mentioned in first few posts of what was used.
    Most boxes that have internal hdd are wired up just needing to fit the hdd and setup after box is flashed.Handy to buy an 8gb usb stick like kingston for flashing these boxes if needed.

greasepalm wrote: »
    I would say these modified images would not be available at source and some sellers may offer a choice of image ,as wos when then sold them might have offered openvix,atv,pli etc rather than factory image.Some people get Atv and upgrade from there.Might have been mentioned in first few posts of what was used.
    Most boxes that have internal hdd are wired up just needing to fit the hdd and setup after box is flashed.Handy to buy an 8gb usb stick like kingston for flashing these boxes if needed.

Is world of satellite the best place to get from? I'll just get it from there with the factory image, and get a tb drive online.

I have bought 5 boxes from there over the years but the tiviar has been replaced by newer models and just use openvix,single to quad tune tuner boxes and how times change.

Forgot to add his image was designed for this box and may not be usable on different models.

MarkR wrote: »
    I'm definitely going to buy one of these. Played around with similar a few years back, so flashing etc not a problem. Do I get it with the factory image? Should I order with the hard drive, or buy one from Amazon or something? Does it have the cabling required inside, or do I need a sata cable?

If you’re interested in the Tiviar, your challenge is finding one in stock. It really doesn’t matter what image is supplied, as it is easy to flash whatever you require. WoS have been out of stock for some time.

You’re actually better buying your own drive as you can then get a 1TB drive that’s optimised for video. This is important if you intend using permanent timeshift, as the drive is then in a continuous read write cycle.
    As far as I know, all the cables etc are in the box, so you only need the bare drive. (Maybe someone who bought a box, ex-drive, can confirm this.)

Yeah, it's no bother to fit a drive. The cable is there and it fits into a cradle with 4 screws.

I was really only going for it based on this thread. If there's another recommended one I'd appreciate a link. ðŸ‘

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,577 ✭✭✭swoofer

https://www.satworld.ie/tiviar-alpha-plus-triple-tuner-combo.html

get it here but if you get it with factory image you have to update to enigma2 bootlaoder and thats been posted here already. If was you I would read the 2 threads all the answers are in there.

this is the other thread and it contains a user friendly image by clareman.

Cost-Effective, High-Functionality, User-Friendly Replacement for Pay TV

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Are any companies do installations in Dublin area when you already have a sky dish in place?

Yes a few companies in dublin,anything from bad cables,lnbs,alignment issues,adding more feeds and upgrading from single - octo lnbs.

Some companies may only supply a certain box like amiko or arriva but they could/should be able to install your box once YOU have flashed it.

MarkR wrote: »
    I was really only going for it based on this thread. If there's another recommended one I'd appreciate a link. ðŸ‘

I initially used the THHB image, from this thread. However, it did not pass the Wifey test. It was in real danger of ending up in the attic, with all my other attempts to ditch Sky. So, I put a lot of time and effort into creating an image that would be suitable for general family use. Hence the thread that swoofer referenced.

It is now a year since we ditched Sky, and we have no regrets. The only issue that arises is that (very) occasionally the TV and Tiviar get out of sync when being turned on/off. It’s not a big issue, everyone is now used to hitting on/off a couple of times, if necessary.

• Advertisement

It is now a year since we ditched Sky, and we have no regrets. The only issue that arises is that (very) occasionally the TV and Tiviar get out of sync when being turned on/off. It’s not a big issue, everyone is now used to hitting on/off a couple of times, if necessary.[/QUOTE]

@newclareman was the wife hitting ya on and off:eek::D

greasepalm wrote:

@newclareman was the wife hitting ya on and off:eek::D

No, all the time :p

Have the New clare man image. All has been well for months. Rte1 picture is awful for some reason. Pixaliated and glitchy. The TV in the kitchen is perfect. Any idea to resolve? Every other channel is perfect. It's only in the last week's it's been bad

I noticed months ago it was only rte1 that had those issues and was told i need a booster which fixed my issue and now got an external aerial fitted as other one mounted in the attic.I bet you have a lower signal on that channel.

greasepalm wrote: »
    I noticed months ago it was only rte1 that had those issues and was told i need a booster which fixed my issue and now got an external aerial fitted as other one mounted in the attic.I bet you have a lower signal on that channel.
    Have an external aerial, and the kitchen Samsung saorview TV has perfect signal. What booster did you buy?

Bought from Satworld think it was this as up in the attic so not 100% sure.

Variable Gain Masthead Amplifier 1-20dB Revez MHAV20LTE.

Could you have a faulty cable if all supplied by outdoor aerial?

Anaki r2d2 wrote: »
    Have the New clare man image. All has been well for months. Rte1 picture is awful for some reason. Pixaliated and glitchy. The TV in the kitchen is perfect. Any idea to resolve? Every other channel is perfect. It's only in the last week's it's been bad

I suggest you raise a separate query, over on the terrestrial forum, as this is a common issue, with lots of expertise over there.

The first thing I would check is the signal strength and quality. If the strength is good, but the quality poor, it is likely that you have local interference from a phone, alarm....

You could also have a look at your connections, as a poor quality connection could cause this problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

It could also be a slight drop in signal. I'd also be looking at how your house is cabled? Is there a direct cable from the splitter or splitter amp? Remember splitting loses 6db which is half your signal so you nearly always need to amplify before you split. A proper installer will always amplify as close to the source as you can get which is why they use masthead amps. Amplifying close to the TV is always a bad idea

• Registered Users Posts: 34 phil49

I don't know if this has happened to anybody else or if it has been solved.
    When I move my channels around to suit, in their specific bouquets either on the box or with openwebif,they revert to their original positions after next epg update. Anybody know how to fix this

• Advertisement

Its not an epg issue as more like abm or bouquet updating that does this.
    Think you need to setup a custom bouquet on second page for your private listing which dont get updated.

phil49 wrote: »
    I don't know if this has happened to anybody else or if it has been solved.
    When I move my channels around to suit, in their specific bouquets either on the box or with openwebif,they revert to their original positions after next epg update. Anybody know how to fix this

Move them to favourites, favourites doesn't get updated by autobouquetsmaker

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Question about adding channels to a favourite - if the channel move frequencies that will be picked up by ABM and will be handled in the main bouquets - but will the channel you moved to favourite also update?

dulpit wrote: »
    Question about adding channels to a favourite - if the channel move frequencies that will be picked up by ABM and will be handled in the main bouquets - but will the channel you moved to favourite also update?

Not in my image, channels in favourites do not update they need to be done manually by removing the channel and adding it again.

Is this box the best to get for saorview and freesat?..It would probably be best to buy the 500gb drive that comes with the box?..Thanks

Is this box the best to get for saorview and freesat?..It would probably be best to buy the 500gb drive that comes with the box?..Thanks

I've had mine for 18 months now and never a bother with it, other than messing with settings but the crew here are always great to put you right. If you can stretch the budget go for a 1TB drive. HD stuff doesn't be long filling it up. If HD isn't paramount, set the recorder for plus 1 or the SD version of the channel.

• Advertisement

sligojoek wrote: »
    I've had mine for 18 months now and never a bother with it, other than messing with settings but the crew here are always great to put you right. If you can stretch the budget go for a 1TB drive. HD stuff doesn't be long filling it up. If HD isn't paramount, set the recorder for plus 1 or the SD version of the channel.

Thanks sligojoek!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 439 ✭✭mburke

I am looking at replacing the HD with a larger drive. Is the process to replace the drive to connect it into the box and can it be formatted by the box or should I format the drive prior to putting into box?

Boxes can set up a new hdd,initialize and ext4 for recordings.

I wonder can anyone help me here.

Today I used the tiviar to record a radio program. I just pulled it up now to have a listen. It'll play, pause and stop. but I can't Fwd or Rewind or skip a few mins like a video recording. I downloaded the file to the laptop and can do all this no problem with VLAN.

Also , is there a way of recording as an mp3 format instead of .ts?.

I have never done a recording from a radio program but asking if you used buttons 1,4,7 or 3,6,9.

• Advertisement
Advertisement