Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tiviar Alpha Plus Combo STB

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,483 ✭✭✭greasepalm

They are an old box superseded by newer makes and models.That always happens with boxes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

greasepalm wrote: »
    They are an old box superseded by newer makes and models.That always happens with boxes.

So is their a better option available? or because of the skin available on here am I better investing in this>

I have dumped sky now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭NewClareman

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    So is their a better option available? or because of the skin available on here am I better investing in this>

I have dumped sky now

If you have the time to invest in learning Enigma2 configuration, ant it is not trivial, there are better hardware options available. Otherwise, this box is still a very good option.

We left Sky well over a year ago, and never looked back. The trick is having a box that is easy to use, by all family members. It took me time, but I eventually got an easy to use setup. It is auto-updating for terrestrial and satellite channels, with all channels in their correct Sky category. The image is on the thread on replacing Sky and requires only a few steps to set up.

If you have the time to invest in learning Enigma2 configuration, ant it is not trivial, there are better hardware options available. Otherwise, this box is still a very good option.

We left Sky well over a year ago, and never looked back. The trick is having a box that is easy to use, by all family members. It took me time, but I eventually got an easy to use setup. It is auto-updating for terrestrial and satellite channels, with all channels in their correct Sky category. The image is on the thread on replacing Sky and requires only a few steps to set up.

Thanks, we had Sky for 4 years just so my wife could watch RTE :p for maybe 1 hour a week.....finally got her to dump it as I bought LG TV and it has RTE player on it.....but still for kids etc and the odd rugby its handy to have Saorview.

I dont have time to learn the Enigma, Sky will be finished in a few weeks and just looking for something simple to use or I will be listening to it

I guess if I need to load on the Enigma image?

Will an internal aerial work? details from Saorview
    2RN Transmitter:KIPPUREChanging in Sept:YesChannels:
    Before Sept:
    54, 58From Sept: 34, 35Polarization:HDirection (degrees):South (169)Distance: 30 km

It may depend on your budget at the time as when i started off it was a single sat receiver but very limited if you wanted to record another channel.I liked the option of swapable tuners as could change cable tuner for sat and if needed can run iptv.
    Quad tuner boxes are rare now,triple tuners that can take internal hdd or triple tuners that have to have external powered hdd,combo box sat and cable/terrestrial record on one view on the other.

I did use an internal aerial for one of my boxes and had to check it was for the proper area as they were colour coded .

Enigma 2 boxes cover many things and models.

Images used can vary by users choice,mine is openvix on all boxes but when boxes are not supported by image support on one you may have to use a different supplier like openatv.Other hobbyists do their own thing with multi images for many boxes Grogbuild,Wooshbuild Infinity,Willobuild,

The more features one wants on a box the longer it takes as standard flashing a box is followed by setting up box via wizard onboard which is easy enough.Plenty of guides and you tube videos all help

Have a browse on wos

https://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/satellite-and-terrestrial

Some people go mad in wanting a new skin or picons and keep changing it,i have used the same skin for 5 years and have stopped messing as i like to view.Images usually have a choice of what you would like to use.

• Advertisement

I guess if I need to load on the Enigma image?

That's the easiest solution, to avoid having to configure it yourself. If you use my image, see the thread on replacing sky, you can even download a picture of the remote, showing what each button is used for. (Keeps Wifey happy.)

I wouldn't worry about the various images, for a simple Sky swap out. By and large they are for the enthusiasts who like playing about with their setup.
    Will an internal aerial work? details from Saorview
    2RN Transmitter:KIPPUREChanging in Sept:YesChannels:
    Before Sept:
    54, 58From Sept: 34, 35Polarization:HDirection (degrees):South (169)Distance: 30 km

If the signal is strong enough, it will. This is no different than with any other stb or tv. Just stick the channel number into the in-built signal finder and see how you get on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

I have dumped sky now

I'd get one if I were you. I've had one for 18 months. I was a bit dubious at the start that I'd be a bit naive but If you follow all the instructions that the lads have up you'll be grand.

Just got the Tiviar today..I have just one cable from the dish untill i get a chance to run a second..And I have saorview channels..I can pause the tv pic,but the programme dorsnt pause..it has continued on when I press play again..Will it proper pause when flashed?..Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Just got the Tiviar today..I have just one cable from the dish untill i get a chance to run a second..And I have saorview channels..I can pause the tv pic,but the programme dorsnt pause..it has continued on when I press play again..Will it proper pause when flashed?..Thanks

Have you added and initialised the hard drive?

Have you added and initialised the hard drive?

No not yet. That is probably it...just have it set up in the last while

• Advertisement

No not yet. That is probably it...just have it set up in the last while

That's definitely it. Pausing saves to disk. You will also have issues with the epg which could crash the box. You need some sort of storage for smooth operation. You can use a usb key for the time being

That's definitely it. Pausing saves to disk. You will also have issues with the epg which could crash the box. You need some sort of storage for smooth operation. You can use a usb key for the time being

Thank you.!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

Can I ask where you picked it up? I'm in the market for 1 or even 2 myself.

corsav6 wrote: »
    Can I ask where you picked it up? I'm in the market for 1 or even 2 myself.

Satworld I got it from....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

Satworld I got it from....

Was hoping you found it a bit cheaper somewhere, but looks like satworld are about the only option.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Claggan

I have had this Tiviar box for a while and finally got around to trying it out ... on an older TV ... A Sony Bravia. When I press the Menu button I do not get any Apps showing .... only a Main Menu with 5 items ... Setup, Plugins, Timers, Information, Standby and Restart. Came with OpenVix. Is it to do with the TV??

Claggan wrote: »
    I have had this Tiviar box for a while and finally got around to trying it out ... on an older TV ... A Sony Bravia. When I press the Menu button I do not get any Apps showing .... only a Main Menu with 5 items ... Setup, Plugins, Timers, Information, Standby and Restart. Came with OpenVix. Is it to do with the TV??

That is what you should see, the apps are on your other smart TV

I would imagine a smart tv is only smart if it has an internet connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Claggan

Thanks. I will try it on the new TV tomorrow ..... the one I am using is connected to the Net .... but I realise now that it does not have a web OS ....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

Claggan wrote: »

On enigma boxes apps are called "plugins". What "apps" were you looking for or expecting?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,759 ✭✭✭Inviere

Think I'm going to order one of these for a family members christmas present, and move them from a SAB Titan III. I see Satworld have them with Enigma 2 on them for a few quid extra, is there much involved in getting it all up and running?

• Registered Users Posts: 38 vimes

whoami1 wrote: »
    I don't know about automation. As far as I can see, the AutoBouquetMaker won't do a retune for Saorview frequencies.

As for a Saorview retune, this is how I do it:
    • Press the 'Menu' button on the remote
    • Select 'Setup' and click OK
    • Select 'Reception' and click OK
    • Select 'Automatic scan' and click OK
    • Set the first 4 options to 'No' by pressing the left or right arrow button and press down to go to the next menu entry
    • With the last option (Scan Tuner C) set to Yes, press the green button on the remote.
    • Wait for the retune to finish and click OK or close to get out of the menu. (I'm writing this step blind as my system is working fine at the moment).

Right- absolutely none of that worked for me. The problem is that the "predefined transponder" for me (Spur Hill) still thinks that Saorview is being broadcast on channels 45/49, I updated the transponder definition several times, but for $reasons unknown to me the box keeps reverting to the other one.

I can get it working again by carrying out a Manual Scan, and just entering the CORRECT channel (39 not 49) When the scan on the correct channel completes, I once again have RTE1.

Problem is that then ABM comes along and throws its ordure all over my nice clean channels, running a new INCORRECT automatic scan, and losing me my RTE1, so I have to keep fighting the box.

I can't see how to tell ABM to feck off and leave my Saorview channels alone, the bastard thing seems to have a mind of its own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,577 ✭✭✭swoofer

ABM is often set on auto and it will update daily ie usually at night go into menu, setup.service searching and find it, press ok, then menu, turn off automatic updates, use arrow.

You dont need abm.

vimes wrote: »
    Right- absolutely none of that worked for me. The problem is that the "predefined transponder" for me (Spur Hill) still thinks that Saorview is being broadcast on channels 45/49, I updated the transponder definition several times, but for $reasons unknown to me the box keeps reverting to the other one.
    I can get it working again by carrying out a Manual Scan, and just entering the CORRECT channel (39 not 49) When the scan on the correct channel completes, I once again have RTE1.
    Problem is that then ABM comes along and throws its ordure all over my nice clean channels, running a new INCORRECT automatic scan, and losing me my RTE1, so I have to keep fighting the box.
    I can't see how to tell ABM to feck off and leave my Saorview channels alone, the bastard thing seems to have a mind of its own.

If you turn off ABM, any channel changes will not be updated, so that is a last resort.

ABM uses "Provider Files", maintained by the development team, to map frequencies to transmitters. An updated Saorview provider file was recently posted for ABM. You should try "Update provider files" in the ABM configuration menu.

If that doesn't solve your problem, just exclude Saorview, altogether.This should work:
    • Under Configue, set "Keep all non-ABM bouquets" to yes.
    • Under Providers, set Saorview to 'No'

So I got the Tiviar Alpha plus box,and I have it up and running with the freesat and saorview.It came with enigma 2.Can the channels be edited to the order that I want,without flashing,even though I understand that they may change,and would need a rescan.I am working up to a flash:D

Not knowing what image is on box and if it has autobouquetmaker loaded as it can have your own channel list,forgotten what the specific name of folder listed.

I should have said its enigma 2..Thanks

So I got the Tiviar Alpha plus box,and I have it up and running with the freesat and saorview.It came with enigma 2.Can the channels be edited to the order that I want,without flashing,even though I understand that they may change,and would need a rescan.I am working up to a flash:D

Assuming you have it connected to your home network find it's IP address.
    SETUP>INFORMATION> (the exact menu order differs from different images)
    you should see "IP ADDRESS 192.168.xxx.xxx"
    the exact number is unique to your setup. Type that number into any web browser on your home network to launch the WEBIF web interface. One of the many functions in there is a bouquet editor. From there you can create a "favourites" bouquet with the channels in any order you like including a mix of Saorview and satellite.

Assuming you have it connected to your home network find it's IP address.
    SETUP>INFORMATION> (the exact menu order differs from different images)
    you should see "IP ADDRESS 192.168.xxx.xxx"
    the exact number is unique to your setup. Type that number into any web browser on your home network to launch the WEBIF web interface. One of the many functions in there is a bouquet editor. From there you can create a "favourites" bouquet with the channels in any order you like including a mix of Saorview and satellite.

Thank you for the reply Gerry Wicklow....I will have a go at doing what you posted..I am new to this so will try step by step..Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭SSeanSS

Is it possible to use this without an internet connection for playing the RTE / free channels? Have a dish outside that wires in

Just wondering, what is the benefit of this gui versus the standard sky GUI available on the Zgemma? Thanks

SSeanSS wrote: »
    Is it possible to use this without an internet connection for playing the RTE / free channels? Have a dish outside that wires in

The dish will get the free sat channels...You will need an aerial to get RTE and the Virgin channels on Saorview..
    You dont need the internet to get Saorview

• Registered Users Posts: 34 burgerland

burgerland wrote: »
    It has worked fine since purchase last August. I left it in standby on Saturday night and yesterday morning it had the Run Alpha+ message on its display. I got it reflashed to Open ATV 6.2 (which it was running) but once the box is rebooted it reverts to the same state. I'm going to remove the HD tonight and try another reflash - Open ATV 6.3, if it still happens I will try OpenVix.

Just to update - World of Satellite replaced the box under warranty, not sure what the underlying issue was.

Just wondering, what is the benefit of this gui versus the standard sky GUI available on the Zgemma? Thanks

This image is more than just a skin, it's a fully configured image set up to auto update, all you have to do it set your Saorview region in Autobouquetsmaker. There are plenty of skins available to download in plugins > download

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 310 ✭✭Captain Average

Hi guys,
    Got an Edision combo box installed earlier in the year and it's crap. Gone tits up already. Couldn't be arsed with calling the installer back. I'm just going to replace it. I'm going to get the AlphaPlus with enigma 2 from Satworld. (i'll also have a look at that thread by NewClareMan which looks great).
    So I have a feed from the Satellite and the Ariel. Is it just a case of connect these to the alpha plus box and then there's some initial setup when I turn it on for the first time? Is there an internet connection required for it? If so, does it support wifi ? My router is at the other side of the house.

• Advertisement

Hi guys,
    Got an Edision combo box installed earlier in the year and it's crap. Gone tits up already. Couldn't be arsed with calling the installer back. I'm just going to replace it. I'm going to get the AlphaPlus with enigma 2 from Satworld. (i'll also have a look at that thread by NewClareMan which looks great).
    So I have a feed from the Satellite and the Ariel. Is it just a case of connect these to the alpha plus box and then there's some initial setup when I turn it on for the first time? Is there an internet connection required for it? If so, does it support wifi ? My router is at the other side of the house.

There’s a small amount of setup and then you’re good to go. An internet connection is not required for tv viewing, or the full epg. However, the internet brings a lot of extra functionality, as described in my thread.

WiFi dongles are available, but work very poorly. I use a WiFi extender, with a LAN port, which works without issue. However, powerline adapters also work well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Jurgen Klopp

Anyone know if there's a way to stop picons showing?

Just have no channel logo at all show. I know you can just not have them in the box but then the skin still shows a blank image where it would be

I have Tiviar Alpha a couple of weeks.It has been working great..It didnt have a hard drive,so I put in one yesterday..I can record/pause $rewind etc..but the box has starting freezing..I have ro turn off and on again..Has anyone had this problem?..Thanks

I have Tiviar Alpha a couple of weeks.It has been working great..It didnt have a hard drive,so I put in one yesterday..I can record/pause $rewind etc..but the box has starting freezing..I have ro turn off and on again..Has anyone had this problem?..Thanks

Did you initialise the drive and check the timeshift and recording paths? I'm not in front of the box to confirm how you do this but I'll check in tomorrow

Did you initialise the drive and check the timeshift and recording paths? I'm not in front of the box to confirm how you do this but I'll check in tomorrow

When I turned in on after putting in thr drive..A message came on screen asking do you want to initialise the drive..I pressed ok....Do I need to do more..Thanks for the reply..Actually in the first post I used the word freezing...That was the wrong way to put it..What happens when its on a channel for a while..The remote wont do anything..I cant change to another channel..use the volume etc.Sorry for putting the question wrong way

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

Hi guys,

What do you mean its gone tits up? The Edision is a super box. Probably just needs a reflash and set up in the new. Alpha plus is an inferior box IMHO and no built in WIFI. World of sat no longer stocking them anyway.

When I turned in on after putting in thr drive..A message came on screen asking do you want to initialise the drive..I pressed ok....Do I need to do more..Thanks for the reply..Actually in the first post I used the word freezing...That was the wrong way to put it..What happens when its on a channel for a while..The remote wont do anything..I cant change to another channel..use the volume etc.Sorry for putting the question wrong way

For using the usb or hdd for recordings after you iniatilise it/them the next step is to go from ext3 to ext4 when done its ready to record as the device should be setup and mounted .

Hi guys,

Most of the time its user error and i would be doing a reflash and setup from scratch with no settings restore.
    Lan cable is always better but many use homeplugs,1 from router to 13amp socket and another at box as it uses your mains for a connection.

greasepalm wrote: »
    For using the usb or hdd for recordings after you iniatilise it/them the next step is to go from ext3 to ext4 when done its ready to record as the device should be setup and mounted .

It records ok greasepalm...But when its on one channel for a while,if I try to change channel or turn up or down volume..It wont do anything..have to switch off and on...and it works away fine for another while

What sort of HDD is required in this thing? any specific requirement?

What sort of HDD is required in this thing? any specific requirement?

2.5" Sata....Have a look on Satworld...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,577 ✭✭✭swoofer

You ask a good question, ideally you should get a HDD that is suitable for pvr use and New Clareman, who has a great image in a different thread recommends this one.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/AV-25-1TB-Internal-Hard-Drive/dp/B007PFQ23C
    It costs more but it will last longer. And it will depend on how much pausing, recording, rewinding etc. I have an ssd in a solo2 and its night and day but they are expensive but getting cheaper.

the thread is the COST EFFECTIVE etc and its very very good.

I called into my local cex shop and got a 1 tb for 28 euro and 2 year warranty.

I got a 120GB SSD recently from MemoryC in Kildare for about €22 delivered. For that price even if it dies after a year what the hey. 120Gb is enough for most uses unless you want to keep lots of stuff. I have a NAS for long term storage instead.

• Advertisement
Advertisement