Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tiviar Alpha Plus Combo STB

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭gar

gar wrote: »
    Cheers

Been using the dreamdroid app to keep me going.
    I know it'll appear as so as I order.
    I'll give it the week and see what cupboard it turns up in

Update, the remote resurfaced in a toy truck... Pretty sure I didn't put it there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

gar wrote: »
    Update, the remote resurfaced in a toy truck... Pretty sure I didn't put it there

Tell the truth you had a great time going brm brm brmmmmmm:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭NewClareman

Some EPG advice please, I'm not savvy with this box at all yet. From help on here when I got the box, I did manage to use openwebif to create a single epg. All I want is all irish channels and english in it. It worked for a couple of weeks. Now EVERY time I select EPG, most channels have no programme information and the remote will skip them, so I can't watch them.
    I finally remembered how to get into openwebif and had a look, it looks fine, nothings changed. Does anyone have any insights to why this is happening?
    Thanks

Can you check whether you have EPG Refresh or CrossEPG plug-ins installed? You need one of these to ensure the EPG refreshes automatically. There is a setting that determines whether channels without EPG are skipped. It's under settings (system/EPG I think), it's not available from OpenWebIF.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 321 ✭✭MenloPete

Just reporting another dead Tiviar Power Supply after the box was off for a couple of days. :mad:
    Have ordered a replacement - it's cheaper than trying to return the box, even though it's probably still in warranty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭Payton

Random question:
    I just noticed that the Recall function has stopped working.
    Is there a option to get it working again?

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭hs5424

Silly answer but have you confirmed that the remote is out-putting IR when you press the recall button.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭Payton

hs5424 wrote: »
    Silly answer but have you confirmed that the remote is out-putting IR when you press the recall button.
    Just noticed it's not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,034 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

MenloPete wrote: »
    Just reporting another dead Tiviar Power Supply after the box was off for a couple of days. :mad:
    Have ordered a replacement - it's cheaper than trying to return the box, even though it's probably still in warranty.

A replacement box or replacement PSU?

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭hs5424

Originally Posted by hs5424 View Post

There's where your problem is so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭greasepalm

I would still send it back if under warranty,i know the pain as had to send back a few boxes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 359 ✭✭a clanger

Got a Zgemma H7 last weekend for a family member ....dead as the proverbial dead parrot. Only noticed after I'd opened and fitted a HDD (warranty issues!) Anyway €15 to return with Parcel Motel (WoS) so might be worth returning then fire it up on Done deal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 321 ✭✭MenloPete

A replacement box or replacement PSU?

A replacement PSU - less than €15 delivered - so cheaper than sending back the box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,034 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

A replacement PSU - less than €15 delivered - so cheaper than sending back the box.

Reason I asked is that I have not noticed a link to replacement PSUs for the devices, only workarounds using external PSUs wired into the device.

And if something else goes wrong with box warranty is null and void,your choice.

a clanger wrote: »
    Got a Zgemma H7 last weekend for a family member ....dead as the proverbial dead parrot. Only noticed after I'd opened and fitted a HDD (warranty issues!) Anyway €15 to return with Parcel Motel (WoS) so might be worth returning then fire it up on Done deal

Did you recheck inside box to see if you knocked any connections off and power button pressed.Is it hdd internally your selling?

• Advertisement

Unplug the HDD and try again... Just in case sods law is at work.

Yes checked all connections On the Zgemma. In fairness to WoS they received the box yesterday and emailed today to say they are sending out a new one !. So top marks for speedy turnaround and no questions about the warranty void' sticker !. It was a weird fault as the Zgemma logo would briefly flash as you depressed the on/off key !. Anyway ...the moral of the story was to encourage menlopete to return his box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

I was recommended THIS drive when I bought mine. i think its specifically for PVR's etc. Mine has had no issues however at that pricepoint you can get a 1TB SSD HERE for another €20. I think I remember some of the more tech savvy guys have fitted SSD's ....

Hi a clanger. Sorry I haven't replied to this.

The HDD started acting up again this evening so I'll go for that SSD drive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Kagawa

Hi all, I lost RTE1 last week and now all saorview is scrambled. Does anyone have or know of a guide to retuning this? I have looked through this thread but I think the people who installed by system have put on a different menu system which means I’m not sure what to do. TIA

I would be firstly checking your saorview signal on tuner,is it a box or tv as it might need a rescan if signal is good.
    Internal or external aerial in use?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Kagawa

greasepalm wrote: »
    I would be firstly checking your saorview signal on tuner,is it a box or tv as it might need a rescan if signal is good.
    Internal or external aerial in use?

It’s a tiviar box with an external aerial

sligojoek wrote: »
    Hi a clanger. Sorry I haven't replied to this.

The HDD started acting up again this evening so I'll go for that SSD drive.

That SSD is outrageous money at the moment and it was really just an example not a recommendation of brand etc. In fairness 500GB would probably be plenty unless you are a serious record and hoard fiend. You should be able to find decent brand 500GB for around 50GBP and 1TB for circa £80

Kagawa wrote: »
    It’s a tiviar box with an external aerial

Have you got autobouquetMaker installed if so see if it scans Saorview only and make sure your Saorview region is set correctly and scan

That SSD is outrageous money at the moment and it was really just an example not a recommendation of brand etc. In fairness 500GB would probably be plenty unless you are a serious record and hoard fiend. You should be able to find decent brand 500GB for around 50GBP and 1TB for circa £80

I ordered an SSD earlier. Not the one you linked. 80e reduced from 120 on Amazon. I went for 1TB as I've about 660G on my existing one. There's 5 of us here and everyone has stuff on it.

On another note can anyone tell me the easiest way of installing the new drive? Do I have to flash it again and start fresh or can I clone the drive over network or USB before fitting?

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭cork_south

Do you have a link for the replacement PSU?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,577 ✭✭✭swoofer

For the ssd just open box after you have powered off and switched off at back, put in SSD and switch on at back, it should be found, then go to devices, or select a programme and press record, it will tell you if disc needs initialising etc

swoofer wrote: »
    For the ssd just open box after you have powered off and switched off at back, put in SSD and switch on at back, it should be found, then go to devices, or select a programme and press record, it will tell you if disc needs initialising etc

I think the question was how to clone the new drive with the 660GB of content he already has on an existing drive so it is not lost.

"On another note can anyone tell me the easiest way of installing the new drive?" This was the bit I was answering!!

The Tiviar plus has an e sata socket so op could try an e -sata enclosure and just bung HDD in with all the recordings = job done.

With a correct size screwdriver i assume box unplugged remove cover,some boxes have brackets to install to hold disc in position.
    Possible 2 sets of ribbon to connect to hdd,refit top and power on box,locate storage an initialize it and it should show size and ext4,box is ready for recordings.

I think the question was how to clone the new drive with the 660GB of content he already has on an existing drive so it is not lost.

If you had another box with hdd or nas files can be moved from box to box,possibly to pc { never done that so unsure }

• Advertisement

This is what I answered!! "On another note can anyone tell me the easiest way of installing the new drive? "

For the existing drive he could either leave it on the HDD and plug in via usb or ftp into box and transfer to PC and xfr to new ssd!! 660G is a lot of stuff. But I was leaving this bit to someone else.

I like 1tb and 2tb drives better as more space to play with.

Thanks for the replies lads.

Sorry, I should have been clearer. I've no bother installing a drive into the box. By install I meant the operating system. Would I have to reflash using a USB key like the first day?

The cloning was just an idea I had. But on reflection I might just put in the new drive and get the box up and running. I can put the old one in a caddy and put recordings back a few at a time. No doubt I could whittle down the 660 and put anything important on another drive.

It's been squeaking a lot lately so I'd rather get everything off it as soon as possible.

Image is not on hdd or usb as boxes are sold without them.One can remove or fit them without having to flash box.
    Caddy could work to move files.

greasepalm wrote: »
    Image is not on hdd or usb as boxes are sold without them.One can remove or fit them without having to flash box.
    Caddy could work to move files.

Brilliant. That never dawned on me. Makes the whole thing a lot easier. I thought the box was going to be out of action for an evening while I was pootering with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭sqsqswqdwdwq

AFAIK (I rarely used it myself) it asks if you want to save the show or not. Possibly the kids are clicking save?

As a novice but learning fast, can someone tell me in plain English, how can I can pause a live stream, rewind to say 30secs back, replay that 30secs, and then get back to the live stream? I'm running OpenATV 6.4 on a Tiviar Appha box.

Great forum - thanks!

Just to confuse things there are 2 versions of timeshifting.
    1. The most simple one is that you just hit PAUSE, the program freezes where it is and is recorded temporarily in the background. When you press play it will resume from where you paused while still recording the live channel in the background. When you press STOP it will ask if you want to keep that as a recording. The downside of this method is that it only records from the moment you hit PAUSE.
    2. The more advanced version is recording what you are watching from the moment you switch to a channel. This must be enabled in the TIMESHIFT settings menu. The downside of this is that your HDD is recording constantly greatly adding to the wear and tear on it.
    Either way you cannot go back before you started watching a particular channel. (to the best of my knowledge anyway)

Just to confuse things there are 2 versions of timeshifting...

2. The more advanced version is recording what you are watching from the moment you switch to a channel. This must be enabled in the TIMESHIFT settings menu. The downside of this is that your HDD is recording constantly greatly adding to the wear and tear on it.
    Either way you cannot go back before you started watching a particular channel. (to the best of my knowledge anyway)

Hi Gerry,
    Yes I agree strongly with both of the above.
    I have enabled permanent timeshift. For that reason I only recommend a proper AV drive that is designed for continuous recording. Other drives, including most SSD's, are not designed for that level of wear and tear.
    Regardless, you cannot go back before you started watching a channel. For that to work you have to record the entire incoming stream, or at least some portion of it with popular channels. This can be done, but not with any consumer box I know of.

Thanks Gerry ...... I was looking for version #2 in your reply above. I was actually messing with the Timeshift settings and I somehow have it working with getting my << (rewind) button to rewind; my > (play) button to play from x secs back, and my >> (fast forward) button to catch up to the live, or current time. I looked in the list of recordings and the "Timeshift" segments do not appear in the recording list. So I am assuming that the HDD is not getting hammered when I pause; rewind, replay and catchup?
    I could post my Timeshift settings here, but probably no point in teaching the teacher?

Thanks again.

• Advertisement

I just looked at NewClareman's response since I wrote the above ....... I'm assuming my drive IS getting hammered, since it looks like it's being used all the time for my Timeshift function? Is that a correct assumption?

Thanks Gerry ...... I was looking for version #2 in your reply above. I was actually messing with the Timeshift settings and I somehow have it working with getting my << (rewind) button to rewind; my > (play) button to play from x secs back, and my >> (fast forward) button to catch up to the live, or current time. I looked in the list of recordings and the "Timeshift" segments do not appear in the recording list. So I am assuming that the HDD is not getting hammered when I pause; rewind, replay and catchup?
    I could post my Timeshift settings here, but probably no point in teaching the teacher?

Thanks again.

I didn't want to mention the <<>> buttons to keep it simple. Timeshift uses a different folder on the HDD by default. However when you press STOP it offers to save as a recording or just revert to live TV. If you opt to save, it goes into your movies folder.
    This is on Vix but I'm fairly certain it's the same on openATV.

534858.png

If you set timeshift to be on in the menu then yes the HDD will be running continuously. If you use method 1 of just hitting pause when needed it only runs the HDD then. You should be able to use <<>> after you have paused and initiated the temporary recording.

Got it ... Thanks!

I've updated my backup once again, this image is now set to 720p.

448722.png

448723.png

448724.png

448725.png

448727.png

The high horse brigade - do you have an updated copy of your image that you can share?

What are the functions of of the TV and STB buttons on the Tiviar Alpha remote control? And what are the steps necessary to activate the buttons (The box is running OpenATV 6.4)

What are the functions of of the TV and STB buttons on the Tiviar Alpha remote control? And what are the steps necessary to activate the buttons (The box is running OpenATV 6.4)

The remote can be programmed to control a tv, the codes are at the back of the origional Fortis manual. Once programmed, you press the tv button to control the tv. Pressing the stb button returns the remote to controlling the Tiviar Alpha+

• Advertisement

The 4-page postcard manual that came in the Tiviar box is very close to useless. From the Tiviar Remote Control manual I found on the 'net at https://www.manualslib.com/manual/794398/Tiviar-Alpha-Plus.html?page=66&term=Remote+Control+codes&selected=1#manual
    on page 66, it says:

"A user can transform the remote control into a universal remote control by entering a 4-digit remote control code for the TV.
    Turn on the TV, and follow these steps:
    1. Find the TV's brand name from the list of remote control codes.
    2. Press the TV button and the and the OK simultaneously for 2 seconds
    The TV button blinks twice........ "

I tried the above #2 step with two Tiviar Remote Controls - the TV button DOES NOT blink at all. So even if I could find a code for my Samsung UE40H6400AKXXU, I need to get the TV remote control button blinking first. Any ideas?

I think this only works if you keep the original fortis software. Its not a great remote anyway. I have the tiviar and never tried your idea. Your best option is to get one of those fancy remotes whose name escapes me but people on here use it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,131 ✭✭✭John mac

swoofer wrote: »
    Your best option is to get one of those fancy remotes whose name escapes me but people on here use it.
    Logitech Harmony Elite Enhanced Universal Remote Control.

I wonder if one like this would work.

http://images.harmonyremote.com/EasyZapper/Downloads/UserManual/525/enu/525_UserManual.pdf

going cheap on adverts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭FFVII

The high horse brigade - do you have an updated copy of your image that you can share?
    He closed account. Sold box and went to IPTV

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=108528885

Newer image

• Advertisement
Advertisement