Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tiviar Alpha Plus Combo STB

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭NewClareman

andy1249 wrote: »
    So yes , there are homebrew versions of these players , but are illegal and often rounded up and stopped and or sued.
    They work only as long as its not too much of a hassle for the developers , as long as they can be bothered to put in the time and avoid trouble.

Long story short , Enigma 2 boxes will never be a one box solution sat receiver and streamer , they are a great TV receiver , with some flaky add-ons that may or may not be useful.

I suspect that the days of broadcast TV, as we know it, are coming to an end. For now, as you say, Enigma 2 boxes are a great TV receiver. It is the illegal bit that concerns me and is why I do not get involved in these areas. With illegality comes criminality and all that that brings with it - no thanks.

rizzo 1976 wrote: »
    have everything backed up. Do you recommend to do a clean Install via a USB or flash online?

It really doesn't matter, whatever is easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 rizzo 1976

In main EPG try channel +/- to move by page.
    The zero button switches to previous watched channel. <> buttons under 7 or 9 shows more channel history
    MENU>SETUP>USAGE & GUI>DISPLAY>DISPLAY OPTIONS allows you set the brightness of the front display.

Tried dimming via the settings you state but it doesn't do anything. I'm on OpenATV 6.4

Tried dimming via the settings you state but it doesn't do anything. I'm on OpenATV 6.4

With Enigma2, any version, you can only change the brightness of the text display, not the big, bright, buttons. If you revert back, temporarily, to Fortis OS, you can dim these.

With Enigma2, any version, you can only change the brightness of the text display, not the big, bright, buttons. If you revert back, temporarily, to Fortis OS, you can dim these.

Oh really? That's a pain. I can't even change the clock on the front to 12hr either. Nightmare

• Advertisement

Oh really? That's a pain. I can't even change the clock on the front to 12hr either. Nightmare

The quick fix is to cover the buttons with translucent tape.

Has anyone successfully loaded an IPTV provider to their box and EPG? I read loads on it, watched countless videos but I can't get it to work. Tried JediMakerXtream and IPTV Bouquet Maker and nada.

I just discovered that there is an app for the box called Air Tivi+

Is anyone using it or got it set up?

https://www.scribd.com/document/171137371/tivi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

I just discovered that there is an app for the box called Air Tivi+

Is anyone using it or got it set up?

https://www.scribd.com/document/171137371/tivi

What does this offer that isn't already there in the WEBIF which works with any web browser?

What does this offer that isn't already there in the WEBIF which works with any web browser?

Not sure but hopefully planning to find out

• Advertisement

Does anyone know why I have some channels that's don't update their EPG? I have ADM set up to import each morning but these don't. Only when I go into them they manually populate, but then the information disappears again. Very strange.

The channels in question are:

Channel 4HD
    Clubland TV
    Now 80's
    Now 90's
    Box Hits

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭andy1249

Does anyone know why I have some channels that's don't update their EPG? I have ADM set up to import each morning but these don't. Only when I go into them they manually populate, but then the information disappears again. Very strange.

The channels in question are:

Channel 4HD
    Clubland TV
    Now 80's
    Now 90's
    Box Hits

You have ABM updating from the "freesat" channel list and these channels are not on the freesat epg.

In ABM > setup>providers make sure Sky UK (FTA only) is also selected

In ABM> Setup>providers order you should have three items , freesat UK , saorview , and sky UK

Then your EPG loader of choice , EPG refresh or crossepg , must be set accordingly

andy1249 wrote: »
    You have ABM updating from the "freesat" channel list and these channels are not on the freesat epg.

In ABM > setup>providers make sure Sky UK (FTA only) is also selected

In ABM> Setup>providers order you should have three items , freesat UK , saorview , and sky UK

Then your EPG loader of choice , EPG refresh or crossepg , must be set accordingly

Sorted thanks

I'm using the enigma2 pvr client in kodi. To configure the add on through my add ons (kodi has a seperate setup within system for pvr). For host name in the connection page just enter the IP address you gave the box. I have a static ip setup, so this never changes. For web interface port try 80. Streaming port is 8001, but i don't think I entered that. That should be it.

A couple of additional settings on other pages , but not necessary... Fetch picons from web interface.... I request it to only fetch a single bouquet.... if you have iptv it can really slow down the epg load, so i don't use kodi for iptv..... For genre mappings I find the sky UK. Xml the most consistent, but not perfect. This is handy if you setup a search for programs between 90-210 minutes and select movies as a genre over the next 3 days, it will return a nice list of movies to browse. Pity you can't save the search, but as the add on is well maintained I might put a request on his forum for this and see how i get on. On the recordings page I have selected to use the DVB current recording path to keep everything in one place. I've enabled time shift on playback only.

Lastly, for channel groupings/management etc, this is done through the aforementioned pvr setup in system.

lots more info here:
    https://github.com/kodi-pvr/pvr.vuplus

Love to get Kodi up and running on my Tiviar Alpha Plus. Do you know if Kodi is compatible with OpenATV 6.4?

Are all the plugins I need available to Install via the box or do I have to use Filezilla to port them to install?

Thanks

Love to get Kodi up and running on my Tiviar Alpha Plus. Do you know if Kodi is compatible with OpenATV 6.4?

I tried Kodi on the Tiviar and had to remove it - it hogged resources and ran slow.

Are all the plugins I need available to Install via the box or do I have to use Filezilla to port them to install?

That depends on what plugins you need. :)

Before searching elsewhere, be sure you check the two Tiviar feeds. There is an option to check all feeds, but you run the risk of downloading an incompatible plugin. (Been there, done that.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,483 ✭✭✭greasepalm

I agree use something thats supported , bit like filling petrol tank with diesel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

I've a bit of a problem. I think it could be network rather than the box. For the last while I've been able to access the SSD or USB HDD via Windows Explorer. I just tried to transfer some stuff and I'm getting an error message.

"Windows cannot access \\TIVIARAPLUS
    Check the spelling of the name. etc."

When I click "Diagnose"

"The remote device or resource won't accept the connection Detected Hazard sign"

Webif and Filezilla are logging in fine.

It was working fine 2 weeks ago on two laptops and now neither can get in using explorer.

Does anyone suffer from the internal HDD randomly spinning in the unit?

sligojoek wrote: »
    I've a bit of a problem. I think it could be network rather than the box. For the last while I've been able to access the SSD or USB HDD via Windows Explorer. I just tried to transfer some stuff and I'm getting an error message.

"Windows cannot access \\TIVIARAPLUS
    Check the spelling of the name. etc."

When I click "Diagnose"

"The remote device or resource won't accept the connection Detected Hazard sign"

Webif and Filezilla are logging in fine.

It was working fine 2 weeks ago on two laptops and now neither can get in using explorer.

Go into network and restart Samba. It stops occasionally.

I'll try that when the box is free. I think you gave me similar advice before.

Thanks again

• Advertisement

Does anyone suffer from the internal HDD randomly spinning in the unit?

Yes the odd time i hear it doing something.

Did that. Straight in.

Thanks very much.

greasepalm wrote: »
    Yes the odd time i hear it doing something.

It's like a fan going on and off. Any reason for this occurring?

Might be doing something on the box as i might switch from saorview to a foreign sat and for a second or 2 get the spinner and hear it boot up and change then to a channel, so many things are happening in the background that we dont know about.

Has anyone been able to set up OpenWebIf externally? Looking for some information on how you do it please? Thanks

Do you mean outside your house which means opening up your router to possible hackers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭dam099

Has anyone been able to set up OpenWebIf externally? Looking for some information on how you do it please? Thanks

I did once a few years back. Shut it down pretty rapid when I saw a weird IP address in the list of streaming clients.

There are dedicated servers which spend the whole time scanning the web for open satellite receivers both to pirate your streams and as a backdoor into your entire home network.
    BE VERY CAREFUL BEFORE GOING DOWN THIS ROUTE.

dam099 wrote: »
    I did once a few years back. Shut it down pretty rapid when I saw a weird IP address in the list of streaming clients.

SKY can do it flawlessly with their app. I looked into it. Aoit of settings and DNS stuff to do. Didn't manage to get it working though. Pretty cool to record and watch content from the box on the move tbough

• Advertisement

SKY can do it flawlessly with their app. I looked into it. Aoit of settings and DNS stuff to do. Didn't manage to get it working though. Pretty cool to record and watch content from the box on the move tbough

I tried this years ago but didn;t have a good enough upload speed at the time. I then switched to Eir as my ISP and they block just about everything in the router and wont let you change the settings.
    Sky are happy to have an open port as they are already watching every move you make anyway. However, again these days Sky routers are locked down too so us mere mortals cant do anything useful or creative. Of course you can always pay them more for the privilege of accessing your own stuff.
    /rant

I tried this years ago but didn;t have a good enough upload speed at the time. I then switched to Eir as my ISP and they block just about everything in the router and wont let you change the settings.
    Sky are happy to have an open port as they are already watching every move you make anyway. However, again these days Sky routers are locked down too so us mere mortals cant do anything useful or creative. Of course you can always pay them more for the privilege of accessing your own stuff.
    /rant

I don't have a SKY router. I'm using a Fritzbox and it's very much doable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭Sigma101

Sigma101 wrote: »
    I eventually just switched out the receiver with an old one and had the same problem- lots of missing channels (I should have tried that first!). So I guess it's the dish or the cabling and not the Tiviar. Strange though how so many channels work and EPG is there for all channels. The dish hasn't moved from its position in 10 years. Could the LNB be defective? IT's a quad core LNB with just one core being used. Is there any point in swapping over one of the cores in the attic? Thanks again.

Just thought I should update:
    The LNB was kaputt. It was badly weathered after 10 years. I got it replaced and now all channels are back. Thanks to swoofer and NCM for their ideas. The Tiviar is working fine at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭spooner_j

I wouldn't recommend it for security reasons, I'd recommend using a VPN instead.

I have a Raspberry Pi installed with PiVPN (https://pivpn.io/). Very easy to set up and cheap too. You then use OpenVPN client on Windows/iOS/Android to connect securely to your home network from outside. Once connected you can access OpenWebIf or anything else on your home network securely and easily. Very handy!

spooner_j wrote: »
    I wouldn't recommend it for security reasons, I'd recommend using a VPN instead.

I have a Raspberry Pi installed with PiVPN (https://pivpn.io/). Very easy to set up and cheap too. You then use OpenVPN client on Windows/iOS/Android to connect securely to your home network from outside. Once connected you can access OpenWebIf or anything else on your home network securely and easily. Very handy!

Is there anywhere that has more information on setting this up?

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭spooner_j

Is there anywhere that has more information on setting this up?

Step by step guide is available here:
    https://www.sitepoint.com/setting-up-a-home-vpn-using-your-raspberry-pi/

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭sqsqswqdwdwq

I'm running NCM's openATV 6.3 on the Tiviar Alpha+. Everything was hunky dory until I try to get it out of standby this eve, but the box didn't respond - stayed there in standby. The only option I had was to turn off the supply at the wall, wait a few secs, and wait for it to reboot. However, after numerous attempts to cold-start it, the box got as far as "Boot", 2 secs later, "Run Alpha+", and stayed there without progressing into the usual count to 100.

Does anybody have an idea what might have caused this issue, and, is a re-flash the only resolution - hopefully?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭Payton

Is there a 'Sky' image (picons EPG etc) that can be used for this box?

Payton wrote: »

I think you mean a SKIN most images have a few to change on the box and think its under User interface you should see Skins.

I've noticed every morning that I have a few channels that don't populate. Now when I click into them they do. I have set EPG Importer etc and all the other channels import perfectly but these ones. Any ideas?

Magic
    CNBC
    CNN
    Sky News

• Advertisement

Yes I'm using one from Chabbs on Techkings.

https://www.techkings.org/threads/skynew-skin.114388/

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Dutch Roll

Hi all.

Over 2.5 years into my Tiviar Alpha+ journey, and it's been great. Apart from having to return the box to WoS after 10 months due to a failure of the power system, I am delighted with the setup. Thanks in a large part to all the help from this thread.

I have installed similar setups in 4 houses for family members, one of whom now has the Tiviar and a Formuler box side by side. The problem is that both boxes respond to both remotes, and so it's cumbersome when switching between the two as one of the boxes has to be turned off so as not to respond to the control inputs for the other box and potentially end up getting buried in some strange menu, or worse still changing/deleting settings.

Is there a way around this? Can the remotes be reprogrammed for example? They were thinking of getting a Harmony remote, I guess this would not solve the problem as it just repeats the signal that the original remote would have been sending, right?

I fear I may not have explained this very well...

Cheers.

There are numerous posts on forums with ir contolling different things and not sure if your model can change it to a new code.

Webif on laptop can control box functions as it uses a box ip and not a remote.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭Vic_08

Dutch Roll wrote: »
    Hi all.

Over 2.5 years into my Tiviar Alpha+ journey, and it's been great. Apart from having to return the box to WoS after 10 months due to a failure of the power system, I am delighted with the setup. Thanks in a large part to all the help from this thread.

I have installed similar setups in 4 houses for family members, one of whom now has the Tiviar and a Formuler box side by side. The problem is that both boxes respond to both remotes, and so it's cumbersome when switching between the two as one of the boxes has to be turned off so as not to respond to the control inputs for the other box and potentially end up getting buried in some strange menu, or worse still changing/deleting settings.

Is there a way around this? Can the remotes be reprogrammed for example? They were thinking of getting a Harmony remote, I guess this would not solve the problem as it just repeats the signal that the original remote would have been sending, right?

I fear I may not have explained this very well...

Cheers.

Unless one of the boxes is able to accept an alternate remote code set, which AFAIK these do not, then a different remote controller will do no good.

A workable (but a bit crap) solution is to put the boxes in different corners of the room and take advantage of the narrow directionality of the remotes.

If it's of any use to you I have a Zgemma H7 and Formuler F1 beside each other and they do not have any remote clash. Maybe you can swap boxes around your clan so the 2 together aren't running off the same code set.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Dutch Roll

Vic_08 wrote: »
    If it's of any use to you I have a Zgemma H7 and Formuler F1 beside each other and they do not have any remote clash. Maybe you can swap boxes around your clan so the 2 together aren't running off the same code set.

That's not a bad idea, might try that, thanks.

Can anyone tell me why I can't get the native player to work on OpenWebIf? It says right click to run native client but when I do the run this plugin is greyed out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭Payton

Yes I'm using one from Chabbs on Techkings.

https://www.techkings.org/threads/skynew-skin.114388/
    Have to try and remember how to install the picons.

Have to try and remember how to install the picons.

Plenty of plugins, import them in from the server into the reciever and enable them in the EPG settings.

OpenATV 6.5 beta is now available.

Has anyone upgraded to it yet?

Any issues and stuff not working?

**BUMP***

Can anyone tell me why I can't get the native player to work on OpenWebIf? It says right click to run native client but when I do the run this plugin is greyed out.

• Advertisement
Advertisement