Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tiviar Alpha Plus Combo STB

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Ah ok, feck where did I put the CD lol

Cd? That'd be a Windows driver, these boxes run Linux. You'll need to use a USB tuner that is supported by OpenAtv

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Jurgen Klopp

Cd? That'd be a Windows driver, these boxes run Linux. You'll need to use a USB tuner that is supported by OpenAtv

Ah feck assumed all tuners were cross compatible....

What would you rec? Need it cause this house reg cross records on Saorvoew

Ah feck assumed all tuners were cross compatible....

What would you rec? Need it cause this house reg cross records on Saorvoew

http://www.freetv.ie/usb-dvb-t2-tuner/

Thanks bud

• Registered Users Posts: 5,354 ✭✭✭greasepalm

what 2 tuners do you have in usb,sometimes you cant run 2 of the same type i think?

• Advertisement

greasepalm wrote: »
    what 2 tuners do you have in usb,sometimes you cant run 2 of the same type i think?

The USB tuner is a terrestrial tuner. I checked tho, it is only for PC, one of those 10 euro ones only meant for laptops and windows OS, I incorrectly assumed they would be cross compatible I ordered the one high horse rec and we'll see what happens I'll let you all know

I actually found a driver on the plugins that let the box rec the USB T tuner and even set it

RTL282. My one is RTL2838UHIDIR

However it says tune failed, driver doesn't fully do the trick, would have been funny if it worked

• Registered Users Posts: 14,017 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I actually found a driver on the plugins that let the box rec the USB T tuner and even set it

RTL282. My one is RTL2838UHIDIR

However it says tune failed, driver doesn't fully do the trick, would have been funny if it worked

I use €8 dongles here with RTL2832 chipset and I exclusively run Linux (with the addition of Android on test recently).

Without your providing the exact hardware details of the dongle it is only guesswork whether it will work in Linux or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,017 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

sligojoek wrote: »
    I've had a few unexpected expenses since I last posted so I'm gonna have to hold off buying the box for a week or two.

One question. THHB said the EPG updates at 4 am. Does the box have to be left plugged in or will it update after it's turned on next day? I always turn off the switch on the socket going to bed.
    Stop doing that, you should really leave it on standby where it can do scheduled recordings. It will consume very little power. We now live in the age of the internet of things where home automation devices are available at all times

... or set the time for updates to one the box is unlikely to be in use but switched on.

Can it be set to check at each power on/boot?

A combination of both should work also.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭MeTheMan

Was looking at getting this box to replace sky plus. Was thinking of taking the hdd out of the sky box and putting it in this box. Would that work. Also can you have saorview and free view on the one epg? With 7 days advanced list?

Thanks.

• Advertisement

MeTheMan wrote: »
    Was looking at getting this box to replace sky plus. Was thinking of taking the hdd out of the sky box and putting it in this box. Would that work. Also can you have saorview and free view on the one epg? With 7 days advanced list?

Thanks.

Yes, you can arrange the channels whatever way you like in groups called bouquets. I've a Saorview at the top then the Freesat categories and have a selection of our most used in a favourites bouquet down at the bottom.

448724.png

If the sky box has a 2.5 inch SATA HDD you should in theory be able to fit it. I'm not sure what type drive they use or whether they use a proprietary connector, someone else might know. Just make sure you format and initialise it with the Tiviar so there's a blank drive

Ok quick settings question

I want to turn off enable multiple bouquets so when I press EPG it automatically jumps to teh one channel list I've made

However it defaults to Favourites if I do this

Is there a way to mass copy my bouquet over to 5he favourites list as opposed to adding each channel manually?

I need this for the mother and sister as even switching between bouquets will have my listening to moaning :(

I want to turn off enable multiple bouquets so when I press EPG it automatically jumps to teh one channel list I've made

Is there a way to mass copy my bouquet over to 5he favourites list as opposed to adding each channel manually?

I need this for the mother and sister as even switching between bouquets will have my listening to moaning :(

Pressing Epg should default to the Epg of the bouquet of the channel you were watching is in. If you're in entertainment watching bbc1 and press epg it will open the entertainment bouquet showing you the channel you were watching. Is yours opening favourites every time?

You're probably best to leave it alone and let them get used to it, enigma is basically the same on every box. You may add more boxes in other rooms or upgrade this box in a few years. I've learnt a lesson in this by having setup boxes for my mam and brother a few years ago, it's just easier leave it default and let them learn

Pressing Epg should default to the Epg of the bouquet of the channel you were watching is in. If you're in entertainment watching bbc1 and press epg it will open the entertainment bouquet showing you the channel you were watching. Is yours opening favourites every time?

You're probably best to leave it alone and let them get used to it, enigma is basically the same on every box. You may add more boxes in other rooms or upgrade this box in a few years. I've learnt a lesson in this by having setup boxes for my mam and brother a few years ago, it's just easier leave it default and let them learn

I have it set up just how I like it. Manually added my 80 channel list to Favourites

Then went into setting and turned off enable multiple bouquets.

Now EPG can only bring up the exact and only list, piece of piss for anyone here. That tuner you rec was posted today, just waiting on that

Thanks

I have it set up just how I like it. Manually added my 80 channel list to Favourites

Then went into setting and turned off enable multiple bouquets.

Now EPG can only bring up the exact and only list, piece of piss for anyone here. That tuner you rec was posted today, just waiting on that

Thanks

I get it now. You must want all channels in a single bouquet

Be sure and press blue and take a full backup when you have it sorted the way you want

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

You should get yourself https://dreamboxedit.com/en/

You can keep a master copy that you can flash (it back and forwards) to any e2 box over your lan. The masterlist can be updated with the kingofsat data with the click of a button, so will replace updated TPs and channels etc. Its also a channel editor.

You'll never have to scan a channel again outside of the Saorview ones.

449054.jpg

Thanks STB I actually use dream box edit after you rec it to me in another thread :)

The kingsofsat data is exactly what was next on my list to find as the current DB master list has some out of date codes

Now if there was a way to push a custom bouquet channel list specifically into the default Favourites list I'd be set

I was pissing around a while ago. I originally sent my custom made bouquet to the box via dream box edit called it "MyFavs"

All the channels are in it as one list. However if I wish to have that as the only list that comes I need to turn off "enable multiple bouquets" and "always show bouquets" this rids me of the hassle of a bouquet list coming up as each time I tap EPG it asks me to choose a bouquet from

Astra 28
    Favourites
    MyFavs
    Last Scanned

But when I set them to no the EPG always defaults to the default Favourites list and I obviously can't get at my custom list with settings off

So I have got around that for now by adding my channels manually to the default Favourites and then I can leave the above bouquet settings to no and each time I press EPG I get my list

My only problem is each time I update my custom list I'll have to readd the channels manually

I'm wondering if I push an updated custom bouquet via dream box then maybe see if I can copy the channel data into the default Favourites via file zilla or something as opposed to moving a channel at a time

• Registered Users Posts: 4,549 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

Simply use dreamboxedit to put your choices into 'favourites'. As you've seen that is the one the box defaults to. You can put anything you like in there or even delete all the other bouquets if you don't need them. It doesn't have to have 'astra 28' and 'last scanned' is literally that. The list from the last TP(s) you scanned. Useful if making manual changes to 1 or 2 channels.

You can also hide bouquets like last scanned to leave you with only a single bouquet. Last scanned is a system bouquet, it gets created automatically when you scan.

Thanks all I'll have a look again when I get a sit down.

Is there any way to enable a pin code to delete recordings like sky?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,396 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

where's best to pick one of these up? getting a bit tired of my AA2

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

lawred2 wrote: »
    where's best to pick one of these up? getting a bit tired of my AA2

https://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/tiviar-alpha-plus?filter_name=tiviar

That's where I got mine..

Very speedy dispatch, but be sure to have your billing details correct or they'll cancel the order

(I used Parcel Wizard and just set billing address same as delivery address through laziness - saw someone earlier mention something similar)..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,354 ✭✭✭greasepalm

My billing address differs from my delivery address as i am never there at that time and get it sent to my work address,they use dpd and 2 1/2 day delivery time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

greasepalm wrote: »
    My billing address differs from my delivery address as i am never there at that time and get it sent to my work address,they use dpd and 2 1/2 day delivery time.

^ They don't have to match, just to be correct..

Minor point, but thought it worth mentioning - they just refunded me straight away, without contacting me to amend the details - had to reorder, then wait for the refund to come back to my Revolut (took nearly a week).

• Registered Users Posts: 13 P.C

I have a Sony TV with built in satellite tuner very good picture as for the picture on the the box is good but I think the the TV is sharper. I have gone through setting on the box any thoughts.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭dendof

Quick question. I have an existing (unused) Sky dish. Is this box suitable for connecting to and recording Rte, BBC etc?

dendof wrote: »
    Quick question. I have an existing (unused) Sky dish. Is this box suitable for connecting to and recording Rte, BBC etc?

Yes it is for the UK free to air stations but you will need a TV aerial for the Irish stations.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Wisesmurf

Any info on how this decodes iptv on the fly. I've been using linux boxes for years with vuplus variants and amiko alien.

Amikos picture is vastly superior to any vu I've used but it doesn't handle iptv well in bouquets (vu is brilliant). I don't use xtreme tv.

Fyi echanellIzer is vastly superior to dreambox edit.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭dendof

P.C wrote: »
    Yes it is for the UK free to air stations but you will need a TV aerial for the Irish stations.

Does this mean an aerial in the attic? A pair of rabbit ears will hardly do!

• Advertisement

dendof wrote: »
    Does this mean an aerial in the attic? A pair of rabbit ears will hardly do!

Hi dendof

If you live near a TV transmitter may be a rabbit ears might do it not then aerial in the attic might be needed or mounted outside. Others may know more than me.

Advertisement