Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tiviar Alpha Plus Combo STB

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭Sigma101

Sigma101 wrote: »
    I eventually just switched out the receiver with an old one and had the same problem- lots of missing channels (I should have tried that first!). So I guess it's the dish or the cabling and not the Tiviar. Strange though how so many channels work and EPG is there for all channels. The dish hasn't moved from its position in 10 years. Could the LNB be defective? IT's a quad core LNB with just one core being used. Is there any point in swapping over one of the cores in the attic? Thanks again.

Just thought I should update:
    The LNB was kaputt. It was badly weathered after 10 years. I got it replaced and now all channels are back. Thanks to swoofer and NCM for their ideas. The Tiviar is working fine at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭spooner_j

rizzo 1976 wrote: »
    Has anyone been able to set up OpenWebIf externally? Looking for some information on how you do it please? Thanks

I wouldn't recommend it for security reasons, I'd recommend using a VPN instead.

I have a Raspberry Pi installed with PiVPN (https://pivpn.io/). Very easy to set up and cheap too. You then use OpenVPN client on Windows/iOS/Android to connect securely to your home network from outside. Once connected you can access OpenWebIf or anything else on your home network securely and easily. Very handy!

• Registered Users Posts: 49 rizzo 1976

spooner_j wrote: »
    I wouldn't recommend it for security reasons, I'd recommend using a VPN instead.

I have a Raspberry Pi installed with PiVPN (https://pivpn.io/). Very easy to set up and cheap too. You then use OpenVPN client on Windows/iOS/Android to connect securely to your home network from outside. Once connected you can access OpenWebIf or anything else on your home network securely and easily. Very handy!

Is there anywhere that has more information on setting this up?

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭spooner_j

Is there anywhere that has more information on setting this up?

Step by step guide is available here:
    https://www.sitepoint.com/setting-up-a-home-vpn-using-your-raspberry-pi/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭sqsqswqdwdwq

I'm running NCM's openATV 6.3 on the Tiviar Alpha+. Everything was hunky dory until I try to get it out of standby this eve, but the box didn't respond - stayed there in standby. The only option I had was to turn off the supply at the wall, wait a few secs, and wait for it to reboot. However, after numerous attempts to cold-start it, the box got as far as "Boot", 2 secs later, "Run Alpha+", and stayed there without progressing into the usual count to 100.

Does anybody have an idea what might have caused this issue, and, is a re-flash the only resolution - hopefully?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭Payton

Is there a 'Sky' image (picons EPG etc) that can be used for this box?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,427 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Payton wrote: »

I think you mean a SKIN most images have a few to change on the box and think its under User interface you should see Skins.

I've noticed every morning that I have a few channels that don't populate. Now when I click into them they do. I have set EPG Importer etc and all the other channels import perfectly but these ones. Any ideas?

Magic
    CNBC
    CNN
    Sky News

Yes I'm using one from Chabbs on Techkings.

https://www.techkings.org/threads/skynew-skin.114388/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Dutch Roll

Hi all.

Over 2.5 years into my Tiviar Alpha+ journey, and it's been great. Apart from having to return the box to WoS after 10 months due to a failure of the power system, I am delighted with the setup. Thanks in a large part to all the help from this thread.

I have installed similar setups in 4 houses for family members, one of whom now has the Tiviar and a Formuler box side by side. The problem is that both boxes respond to both remotes, and so it's cumbersome when switching between the two as one of the boxes has to be turned off so as not to respond to the control inputs for the other box and potentially end up getting buried in some strange menu, or worse still changing/deleting settings.

Is there a way around this? Can the remotes be reprogrammed for example? They were thinking of getting a Harmony remote, I guess this would not solve the problem as it just repeats the signal that the original remote would have been sending, right?

I fear I may not have explained this very well...

Cheers.

There are numerous posts on forums with ir contolling different things and not sure if your model can change it to a new code.

Webif on laptop can control box functions as it uses a box ip and not a remote.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭Vic_08

Dutch Roll wrote: »
    Hi all.

Over 2.5 years into my Tiviar Alpha+ journey, and it's been great. Apart from having to return the box to WoS after 10 months due to a failure of the power system, I am delighted with the setup. Thanks in a large part to all the help from this thread.

I have installed similar setups in 4 houses for family members, one of whom now has the Tiviar and a Formuler box side by side. The problem is that both boxes respond to both remotes, and so it's cumbersome when switching between the two as one of the boxes has to be turned off so as not to respond to the control inputs for the other box and potentially end up getting buried in some strange menu, or worse still changing/deleting settings.

Is there a way around this? Can the remotes be reprogrammed for example? They were thinking of getting a Harmony remote, I guess this would not solve the problem as it just repeats the signal that the original remote would have been sending, right?

I fear I may not have explained this very well...

Cheers.

Unless one of the boxes is able to accept an alternate remote code set, which AFAIK these do not, then a different remote controller will do no good.

A workable (but a bit crap) solution is to put the boxes in different corners of the room and take advantage of the narrow directionality of the remotes.

If it's of any use to you I have a Zgemma H7 and Formuler F1 beside each other and they do not have any remote clash. Maybe you can swap boxes around your clan so the 2 together aren't running off the same code set.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Dutch Roll

Vic_08 wrote: »
    If it's of any use to you I have a Zgemma H7 and Formuler F1 beside each other and they do not have any remote clash. Maybe you can swap boxes around your clan so the 2 together aren't running off the same code set.

That's not a bad idea, might try that, thanks.

Can anyone tell me why I can't get the native player to work on OpenWebIf? It says right click to run native client but when I do the run this plugin is greyed out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭Payton

Yes I'm using one from Chabbs on Techkings.

https://www.techkings.org/threads/skynew-skin.114388/
    Have to try and remember how to install the picons.

Have to try and remember how to install the picons.

Plenty of plugins, import them in from the server into the reciever and enable them in the EPG settings.

OpenATV 6.5 beta is now available.

Has anyone upgraded to it yet?

Any issues and stuff not working?

**BUMP***

Can anyone tell me why I can't get the native player to work on OpenWebIf? It says right click to run native client but when I do the run this plugin is greyed out.

Greyed out usually means not accessible and wonder if support has stopped.

• Advertisement

greasepalm wrote: »
    Greyed out usually means not accessible and wonder if support has stopped.

Have you got it working?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 574 ✭✭✭PacMan

my tiviar stopped working two days ago.
    Loaded new skin. Didn't like it so pressed blue button to restore settings, and it has been trying to boot up since.
    Have turned it off for a few hours, and turned it on again, but still nothing.

I am gutted to say the least, as I did love this box

PacMan wrote: »
    Loaded new skin. Didn't like it so pressed blue button to restore settings, and it has been trying to boot up since.

Remove the plugin or skin by ssh and reboot. Failing that reflash image manually

Have you got it working?

Never used it, is this on tv or pc and any connection to an older vlc needing a newer updated version?

PacMan wrote: »

People do as people do trying new skins and other things , sometimes if you can log into webif you can change your settings and box reboots back to normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭jackal

This could be old news to some but I never considered it. The unit is fairly wide. About 10mm too wide to fit inside one of the IKEA Kallax cubes that are often used for entertainment units... as I found out today when mine arrived. My own fault for not checking the dimensions, I just never thought it would be too big. managed to find a place for it where the cables still reached. Otherwise this looks a nice upgrade from my previous Ferguson Ariva. The skin it came with is the sky-like one and it’s pretty intuitive if you have ever used sky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,124 ✭✭✭John mac

hi all , bit of a problem with my setup , seem to have lost bbc1, bbc2, itv, quest and Smithsonian (all HD ) bbc4 is ok as are some other channels , have checked the signal quality and strength , both reading in 90s , tried rescanning but no channels found . 10847 V 23000 3/4 (for bbc)

would it be a case of lnb kaput ? or something else .

How many channels do you get on a full scan thinking like 900+
    Loads of channel movement but none are yours.

https://en.kingofsat.net/pos-28.2E.php

Go into the signal finder and see if you get a signal on your mentioned tuner settings

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,124 ✭✭✭John mac

reluctant to do a full scan as i didn't want to have to reorder channels . kos says these channels haven't moved since 2018

551183.JPG

• Advertisement

Yes as why i mentioned none were yours and what about signal finder what readings ?

Can you check box elsewhere to see if it works there.

Advertisement