Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wifi dimmer switch causing lights to flicker

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

You have to use dimmable led bulbs, standard ones will not work

Also, just looked at the spec, these are 120v, I would take it out now, not suitable for use here at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

OP, the spec here says they are 120v, not 220v, I wouldnt use them here!

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Mikebyrne

OP, the spec here says they are 120v, not 220v, I wouldnt use them here!

So you think I should look for a new switch? If so, could you recommend one?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Mikebyrne wrote: »
    So you think I should look for a new switch? If so, could you recommend one?

Do you have Neutral at your light switch? Most Irish homes don't.

There aren't any true wifi switches like this compatible with typical UK/Ireland switches.

Alternatives are LightwaveRF, Xiaomi and Z-Wave dimmer modules, but all require hubs and some of them are quiet expensive.

Xiaomi is the cheapest, but doesn't integrate with much else. Depends o your needs.

bk wrote: »

There aren't any true wifi switches like this compatible with typical UK/Ireland switches.

Alternatives are LightwaveRF, Xiaomi and Z-Wave dimmer modules, but all require hubs and some of them are quiet expensive.

Xiaomi is the cheapest, but doesn't integrate with much else. Depends o your needs.

Yes, we have a neutral going to that switch

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Yes, we have a neutral going to that switch

That gives you a lot more options so.

If you want to go z-wave (which requires a hub like SmartThings) then many of these should work (the wired ones):

http://www.vesternet.com/smart-home/lighting/switches-dimmers

For a wifi only solution then this Sonoff:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sonoff-Smart-Touch-Control-Switch/dp/B07556SLPQ?th=1

Though Sonoffs servers are having problems at the moment!

BTW I haven't used any of these myself, so no guarantees.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭atilladehun

Apologies for going off topic...

Why would you want to dim your Wi-Fi? Is what I thought to myself.

DOH!

Apologies for going off topic...

Why would you want to dim your Wi-Fi? Is what I thought to myself.

DOH!

Probably could have worded the topic better in fairness!

I like the look of this one

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00KBXU77M/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&psc=1

Probably could have worded the topic better in fairness!

I like the look of this one

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00KBXU77M/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&psc=1

Two things about that:

1) It requires a LightwaveRF hub.

2) It is one way comms only. You can send it on/off commands, but can't check it is actually on/off.

The new LightwaveRF hub and switches are more expensive but do support two way comms.

Two things about that:

1) It requires a LightwaveRF hub.

2) It is one way comms only. You can send it on/off commands, but can't check it is actually on/off.

The new LightwaveRF hub and switches are more expensive but do support two way comms.

So Sonoffs are my only option for a dimmer if I don't want a hub?

• Advertisement

So Sonoffs are my only option for a dimmer if I don't want a hub?

As far as I can see, yes. Though I'm not sure I'd recommend it at the moment, given the issues they are currently having.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭paulbok

Open to correction but I don't think Xiaomi switches can dim lights

paulbok wrote: »
    Open to correction but I don't think Xiaomi switches can dim lights

Yes, you are absolutely correct.

Advertisement