Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Defer Vat Payment?

Options
  • 08-01-2018 1:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭

Just a quick question for VAT registered folks. About to file my VAT for November-December and im wondering what will happen if i file it but dont pay it.

The reason for not paying is that i have a large amount of goods due into the country in the next two months which i will need to pay VAT at point of entery on. Usually around 30k. This has to be paid upfront to get customs to release the goods. Its a real pain to have that amount ready to pay that just gets refunded anyway, but depending on the date of payment it can take up to 5 weeks to get back to me. I usually need a loan or overdraft to pay it.

So, if i defer my current VAT until the VAT is due to customs, then they can keep what was deferred and give me back the rest! This allows me the cash in bank without having to borrow.

I hope this makes sense, any info is much appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭andrewfaulk

Just a quick question for VAT registered folks. About to file my VAT for November-December and im wondering what will happen if i file it but dont pay it.

The reason for not paying is that i have a large amount of goods due into the country in the next two months which i will need to pay VAT at point of entery on. Usually around 30k. This has to be paid upfront to get customs to release the goods. Its a real pain to have that amount ready to pay that just gets refunded anyway, but depending on the date of payment it can take up to 5 weeks to get back to me. I usually need a loan or overdraft to pay it.

So, if i defer my current VAT until the VAT is due to customs, then they can keep what was deferred and give me back the rest! This allows me the cash in bank without having to borrow.

I hope this makes sense, any info is much appreciated.

Thanks

Not sure what your shipping arrangements are for the goods that are inbound but you could try defer the payment of the VAT payable to customs on arrival using the fiscal representation process..

Would think penalties might be payable if you defer Nov/Dec returns

Advertisement