Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

EV age profile

• 08-01-2018 2:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭

I'm in my mid thirties and we are a 2 car household, both Leafs. There is a common misconception that EV owners are old people retired, or near retired who potter around the town in their EV. I would personally assume the average age profile of an EV driver to be mid forties, but there must be plenty of young EV drivers too? I can't be the youngest, but I am the youngest EV owner I know of.

For the purpose of this exercise, only BEV and REX are considered owners should vote, but hybrid and phev owners are welcome to chime into the conversation.

What age bracket do you fall into 59 votes

18 - 24
    0% 0 votes
    25 -34
    0% 0 votes
    35 - 44
    20% 12 votes
    45 - 54
    50% 30 votes
    55 - 64
    23% 14 votes
    65 or older
    5% 3 votes

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

I'm 32 and am about to add our second EV.

I think it's more of a misconception that EV owners are mostly computer nerds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

goz 1983 wrote:
    I'm in my mid thirties

Really? :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Which age do I select, mine or my wife?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

unkel wrote: »
    Really? :p

With plenty of grey hair to prove it :(
    NIMAN wrote: »
    Which age do I select, mine or my wife?

The person who is the primary user......or the buyer if equal use.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I'm 36.
    Came from a long line of 6 cylinder BMW's, Lancer Evolution, S3, V8's and even an ML, but here I am.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

I'm 45, one EV (Leaf) and one hybrid (Civic IMA, great car as ICEs go) in the house
    kceire wrote: »
    I'm 36.
    Came from a long line of 6 cylinder BMW's, Lancer Evolution, S3, V8's and even an ML, but here I am.

Yeah, and your posts used to annoy me no end, but now I see you as one of the best contributors to this forum :) Peace!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

29, but I don't count I'm not joining the EV party for about 6 months

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Do I put in my actual age or the age i tell everyone I am ??????

Late 40s, bit of a computer nerd, but I don't look like one (is what people tell me)
    n97 mini wrote: »
    Yeah, and your posts used to annoy me no end, but now I see you as one of the best contributors to this forum :) Peace!

I can only imagine how much my posts (used to) annoy you no end :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,586 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Early 30s, work for a tech company!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭jprboy

n97 wasn't referring to you ! :pac:

jprboy wrote: »
    n97 wasn't referring to you ! :pac:

unkel knows that, but himself and myself would have been a very regular poster in the general motors forum and would have had a similar range of cars over the years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭Vronsky

I would have thought the typical age would be 35-45. Young enough not to be put off by being an early adopter, but more crucially old enough to have been forced to live in a commuter town 50-60km from the workplace.

It's only now really that the early leaf is getting cheap enough to be a first car, so you'll start to see very young drivers in them now too.

Vronsky wrote: »
    I would have thought the typical age would be 35-45. Young enough not to be put off by being an early adopter, but more crucially old enough to have been forced to live in a commuter town 50-60km from the workplace.

It's only now really that the early leaf is getting cheap enough to be a first car, so you'll start to see very young drivers in them now too.

I live in Finglas. 6km from my work place :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

I thought this thread was started in response to the video below.
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/examviral/watch-irish-granny-test-driving-new-electric-car-will-brighten-up-your-day-822105.html

Brilliant viral advertising.

Late 40s, bit of a computer nerd, but I don't look like one (is what people tell me)

You actually do, but not in the classical sense. More of a Dutch computer nerd ;)

And still do! Ha, only joking. You have a particular bias towards certain marques, which is evident in your posts. I probably (definitely) have different values to you.. ie I want a car that gives me no trouble first, looks are second. Probably comes from my IT background where I like stuff that just *works*.

You have a particular bias towards certain marques

Only ever really against Asian / Japanese cars. And a preference for BMWs in particular and maybe one other German brand too. But my first few cars were Japanese, I've owned and liked cars from several countries. And here I am now with no BMW but instead owning a Hyundai :p

Whereas yourself, have you ever owned a non-Japanese car? Talk about bias. Pot, kettle and all that...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

goz83 wrote: »
    I'm in my mid thirties and we are a 2 car household, both Leafs. There is a common misconception that EV owners are old people retired, or near retired who potter around the town in their EV. I would personally assume the average age profile of an EV driver to be mid forties, but there must be plenty of young EV drivers too? I can't be the youngest, but I am the youngest EV owner I know of.

For the purpose of this exercise, only BEV and REX are considered owners should vote, but hybrid and phev owners are welcome to chime into the conversation.

Where did you get that idea from?

http://www.irishevowners.ie/interview-meet-adam-nuzum-the-youngest-irish-ev-owner/

Whereas yourself, have you ever owned a non-Japanese car? Talk about bias. Pot, kettle and all that...

Shur I said I have biases, just like you do! Ownership has been overwhelmingly Japanese (everything except Subaru, still on the to-do list) but there's been German in there too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I thought it was interesting the idea that someone today might buy an EV as their first car and never own a petrol or diesel car in their lifetime. But soon yeah but interesting.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

beauf wrote: »
    I thought it was interesting the idea that someone today might buy an EV as their first car and never own a petrol or diesel car in their lifetime. But soon yeah but interesting.

Just buying 'my' first car VW e-Up! we had a Grande Punto for 6 years but I didn't bother learning to drive. Got the Ioniq in January and finally learnt to drive. Time for a second car so makes the e-Up! my first car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

Yeah it's very strange to think there will be children in the next couple years who for them, riding around in an ICE will be a novelty

Advertisement