Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New car recommendation [20k budget]

• 08-01-2018 2:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

Hi All,

I want to run something by the experts here. I am looking at upgrading my car from an old Mercedez E320 (03) which is starting to fade on me. 
    The car has been amazing and such a smooth drive. Only downsides are the large tax, insurance and petrol costs.
    I suppose I am looking to upgrade to something as close to as nice a drive as the Merdedez was but which is much less costly in terms of petrol / diesel, tax and insurance. 
    I am looking to buy a second hand car maybe 2014-2016 range. I only use the car for commuting to/from work about 15km per day or so in total. 
    Any advice on good options or any particular models from particular years which would meet the criteria above would be much appreciated

Kind rgds
    Jack

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Cunning Alias

Lexus IS300H maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭jackm25

Thanks for the reply - I had a look there, they seem pretty pricy. I am thinking I am going to focus more on the most fuel efficient & best in terms of insurance & tax while still being relatively classy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

jackm25 wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply - I had a look there, they seem pretty pricy. I am thinking I am going to focus more on the most fuel efficient & best in terms of insurance & tax while still being relatively classy.

That would be IS300h ;) 4.2 427713.gif and lowest (bar electric) tax bracket...

Thanks Grogi, the Merc finally broke down on the M50 yesterday :(.
    The mechanic noted that the particular model & year merc 2003 E200 had an issue with the chain which caused a lot of them to break. I am looking into getting a second hand IS300H, I am just wondering:

1. If anyone knows if particular years models are more reliable. I was initially looking at the 2014 model.

2. Whether you would buy from a dealer or private

3. What a reasonably low mileage for a 2014 type model would be.

Thanks in advance for any help with this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,352 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Why not just get a newer model E class?

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,311 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I presume because it's hard to find a petrol E Class circa 2014.

Thanks for the reply guys. The Mercs are lovely but they just eat the petrol. I was looking at getting a 2016 Lexus but the finance costs are so high on a loan for second hand cars. I was thinking I would be nearly better off buying one new on 0% finance with the garage, though the car would depreciate. It is a hard decision they seem to have you covered every way you turn. 
    Would anyone know what the next step down from a Lexus IS300H would be in terms of cost, keeping in mind the lowest in terms of energy efficiency and  tax? Also if anyone could recommend the best finance option for a car these days that would be much appreciated. 

Cheers Jack

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,295 ✭✭✭Azatadine

grogi wrote: »

I was interested in a 300h but the real world fuel consumption seems to be way higher? At least, there's enough noise about it to put me off taking the risk....I drive about 22K miles per year and my A6 C7 gives me about 50mpg and some of the real world figures on the 300h seem to be closer to 40mpg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

what kind of mileage are you doing? the merc you had, was a 1.8L right? sorry, just saw this, you are doing 15km a day, i.e close to nothing... the running cost of a 2014-2016 car is going to be a hell of a lot higher overall, than your old car...

Cheers Cortecs, My budget is 20k so id be looking at a 2014 IS300H which I think might be a bit old. Any suggestions as to what the next best in terms of quality, tax, fuel efficiency say a 2016 model would be or even a new model? I really appreciate all the comments so far, cheers Jack

• Advertisement

Cheers ldbatterim, the merc is fully written off now unfortunately, what would you suggest, given the low mileage etc, in what respect would the running cost be higher overall? tax and fuel consumption on the Merc were pretty high

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭U_Fig

For that mileage an electric would be ideal and would cost next to nothing to run. not sure you would get the driving characteristics or comfort you are after in one though. never driven electric so can't comment first hand.

Recently i helped my uncle buy an IS300H from the UK, he ended up in a 2015 mid spec model to his door for slightly over ~19k, it had slightly higher miles than he ideally wanted but still under 50k miles but was spotless and had full history etc and flew though a full inspection, much better value in the UK on these than in Ireland, but there is extra effort involved buying it there

loan interest and depreciation, will be way higher, than the marginal savings you will make on fuel and motor tax... I drive a 5.6L, 40km round trip, the fuel efficiency is near irrelevant, when you are doing no mileage...

You can get something older, have virtually no depreciation and pay more in repairs and motor tax or go with something newer and lose on depreciation and (loan interest) *if applicable. Thats the choice...

if you want a "premium badge" goes quick and very low, direct running costs, the below?

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/bmw-i3-fully-electric-very-low-mileage-18000-km/18278292

also that i3 will be a hell of a lot quicker 0-100kmph than the merc was...

there are just so many options, the likes of the below?

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/mercedes-benz-e-class-e200-cdi-be-se-4dr-a/17970944

Cheers LDB. Basically the main thing i'm looking for is:
    1. Relatively new car with low mileage 2016 and newer - I take your point re: depreciation & interest etc but I had that Merc in for repairs so many times I really want something new and reliable
    2. Potentially Hybrid / not diesel - something clean
    3. Low tax & low mpg
    4. Relatively decent brand / comfortable
    5. Max 20k

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,616 ✭✭✭pah

Cheers LDB. Basically the main thing i'm looking for is:
    1. Relatively new car with low mileage 2016 and newer - I take your point re: depreciation & interest etc but I had that Merc in for repairs so many times I really want something new and reliable
    2. Potentially Hybrid / not diesel - something clean
    3. Low tax & low mpg
    4. Relatively decent brand / comfortable
    5. Max 20k

What do you class as low tax?

The difference between paying 190 and 390 in tax could equal as low as €1000 of your budget over 5 years but the range of vehicles in each tax class is vast.

Plugging your requirements into autotrader the suggestions are auris or Prius, Lexus ct200h or 300h

You can't really have low tax and low mpg petrol unless you go for a small car like a corsa or something then you sacrifice comfort which is madness when you have 20k to spend on a tiny commute.

If you want to spend 20k
    Get the Lexus is300h

I've recently had a change of circumstances including a reduced commute and picked up a 2006 is250 to replace a 2013 DS5 Hybrid that's breaking my heart (and possibly the bank)

I'd say go for comfort and reliability overall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭Indricotherium

You could buy ten 2006 corollas and never have to worry about finding a part again.

pah wrote: »
    What do you class as low tax?

The difference between paying 190 and 390 in tax could equal as low as €1000 of your budget over 5 years but the range of vehicles in each tax class is vast

for the purposes of the new system, I would deem the E390 rate and below "low tax" some might define it as the E280 rate... Its splitting hairs anyway...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,616 ✭✭✭pah

Idbatterim wrote: »
    for the purposes of the new system, I would deem the E390 rate and below "low tax" some might define it as the E280 rate... Its splitting hairs anyway...

Exactly my point. Especially on a 20k budget

Thanks guys, really appreciate all the responses on this. 
    @Pah, thanks for your feedback, very valuable. I understand your point re: the fuel consumption and tax on larger cars being relatively irrelevant The only IS300H I could get for 20k or so would be around a 2014 model, I am worried that might be slightly too old / liable to break down etc after a couple of years. I could almost get a brand new (very low spec golf or something for 20K. The worst case scenario really is to buy a slightly older Lexus or something else and for it to start breaking down again. I may look into the new cars market but you get so badly done on the depreciation that it is hardly worth it. What would be the best option in the 2016 (20k) range? Key being long term reliability, comfort, mpg & tax (relative)

Sorry i'm probably thinking too deeply into this at this stage, just don't want to make the wrong choice!.

• Advertisement

Thanks again for all the responses

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭U_Fig

One thing to remember is that age of a car is not what affects reliability most, how the car was looked after is more important than age.

Service history is key and mileage to some extent but too but a higher mileage car with looked after well is better than a lower image that was not.

Yes some parts might be more prone to failure as the car gets older and mileage increases but if it's looked after properly a lot of these issues should be already addressed and minimized.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 chernon

Thanks again for all the responses

Hi Jackm25, did you get sorted?

I have a 161 HL golf 1.2 petrol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,476 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

grogi wrote: »

nice

https://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/lexus/is300h/used-2014-141-lexus-is300h-luxury-edi-dublin-fpa-10534827124009

Would you actually get 4.2 litre/100km from an IS300h in the real world without coasting down a hill with a gale behind you?

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Captcha

If that is the same engine as the Audi A3 150 1.4 petrol engine then its a really nice one! Efficient as a diesel almost and €200 tax.

I have 161 A3 Saloon and its nippy as hell... Its a 1.4 with a small turbo :) The newer A3 is 1.5 turbo at this level.

In fact I recommend the A3 Saloon as well as that Skoda :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

It sure is, and what a peach. So much more refined than diesel, very fast and great economy. You could fit an A3 saloon in the Skodas boot!

It sure is, and what a peach. So much more refined than diesel, very fast and great economy. You could fit an A3 saloon in the Skodas boot!

Hah the booty is large on that Skoda at 625L alright... The A3 Saloon isn't too shabby either at 425 with the seats in place and 888 with the seats down :D

A3 Saloon inside is gorgeous though and has a more aggressive look - go S Line of course... Depends on the needs of the driver, I am single and free so A3 works for me for now ;)

audi-a3-saloon-s-line-wallpaper-hd-58466.jpg

• Advertisement

Thanks for all of your help with this thread. Ended up getting a IS300H. Thanks for the info & support.

Thanks for all of your help with this thread. Ended up getting a IS300H. Thanks for the info & support.

Nice motor! congrats!

Cheers. I am actually now going to the US for 2 years so I am planning on selling the car. I have the advert up on Carzone, am not sure if I can post links on here though. Bought for 22,500, selling for 20,900. Great car. Let me know if any interest or any advice on best place to sell it. Should I put it up on done deal as well? Any advice on selling it would be much appreciated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭Bigmac1euro

Cheers. I am actually now going to the US for 2 years so I am planning on selling the car. I have the advert up on Carzone, am not sure if I can post links on here though. Bought for 22,500, selling for 20,900. Great car. Let me know if any interest or any advice on best place to sell it. Should I put it up on done deal as well? Any advice on selling it would be much appreciated.

Can we get the link ?

Good luck but your up against dealer asking prices at that money.

• Advertisement
Advertisement