Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem with PC starting up

Options
  • 08-01-2018 2:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭

PC developed a problem yesterday on start up all of a sudden running windows 10.

If I start as normal I eventually get a black screen with these errors:

RadeonSettings.exe Bad image
    C:\\windows\syatem32\d3d9.dll

followed by
    C:\\programfile\AMD\cnext

followed by
    C:\\windows\syatem32\d3d9.dll

It will ten leave me sitting at a black screen with curser.

I can ctrl, alt, delete to get to a blue command screen and can from there startup in safe mode. Safe mode allows me to get to desktop but it will not allow me into settings. It will let me open my files though.

From the blue command screen ive tried to restart from a restore point but its saying I have none.

I have the original Windows 7 discs and would have upgraded to 10 when the upgrades were released.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Check here and here, see if it helps

Did you install/uninstall anything lately?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

Turn on your computer and repeatedly press the esc key until the Startup Menu opens.

Begin a System Recovery by pressing F11. ...

The Choose an option screen displays. ...

Click Advanced options. ...

Select Command Prompt to open the Command Prompt window.

Then type chkdsk /f

It could take a lot of time to check the harddrive depending on the size but it shoud fix errors on the drive

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭Glebee

EKRIUQ wrote: »
    Turn on your computer and repeatedly press the esc key until the Startup Menu opens.

Then type chkdsk /f

It could take a lot of time to check the harddrive depending on the size but it shoud fix errors on the drive

Its tell me that I cant run disc checking as volumne is write protected.

Check here and here, see if it helps

Did you install/uninstall anything lately?

Had a look through there and nothing seems to help.

Did not change anything on the system. Just tried to boot up Sunday morning and got those errors.

If I did try a system reset on Windows 10 is it straight forward?
    I don't have any important files on it as I save them onto a separate external drive, id just loose all my installed games I guess. Not the end of the world, happened before and it as not too much pain as long as game saves are cloud based.
    I might just bring it to a PC repair place to see if they can get it back running without the reset.

Note: Just got a pop up to upgrade Apple software on the PC when its sitting at the black screen after startup so windows must be running there somewhere if that come up. Its updating at the moment. Very strange. Trying to run a clean start up from the command prompt screen as when I get in through safe mode I cant do anything when I see my desktop.

Only pointed that errors you getting, IMO, pointing to graphics related issues.

Instead reinstall, you could perform windows repair, this way you will save you files and programs. See how .

• Advertisement

Only pointed that errors you getting, IMO, pointing to graphics related issues.

Instead reinstall, you could perform windows repair, this way you will save you files and programs. See how .

Thanks for the help, to repair windows I need to download stuff from Microsoft but I have no PC to do it on.. Think Ill just drop it to a repair shop and see can they sort it...

EKRIUQ wrote: »

Then type chkdsk /f

Got that to run after by hitting windows sign and X in safe mode. No errors reported. It must be a graphics card error

Glebee wrote: »
    Got that to run after by hitting windows sign and X in safe mode. No errors reported. It must be a graphics card error

Less likely card - graphics driver or OS corruption. Could be caused by windows update, graphics driver update or software install/uninstall

Im able to get into desktop from safe mode now and with window key and X access commands. Have tried uninstalling graphics from display adapters and restating but its giving me the same black screen at start up with just the single radeon settings.exe bad image error.

When I am in the desktop in safe mode there is a small sihost.exe -system warning error that pop up that appears. If I click ok on this it sends me to black screen. If I drag to one side I can access desktop.

Glebee wrote: »
    Im able to get into desktop from safe mode now and with window key and X access commands. Have tried uninstalling graphics from display adapters and restating but its giving me the same black screen at start up with just the single radeon settings.exe bad image error.

When I am in the desktop in safe mode there is a small sihost.exe -system warning error that pop up that appears. If I click ok on this it sends me to black screen. If I drag to one side I can access desktop.

Refer to this for sihost.exe

Check/try this for Radeon™ Software

• Advertisement

How to use DISM command-line utility to repair a Windows 10 image

Thanks for the help smuggler.

On normal startup I have managed to get rid of all errors but just get left on a black screen after bootup. I can alt delete to option screen though from here.

I cant get rid of the sihost.exe error when I enter into safe mode though.

Advertisement