Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice re first adventure race

• 08-01-2018 3:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭

I'm planning on working my way up to some adventure races towards the end of this year and into next year. I'm looking for help/advice picking a realistic starter adventure race that I can then use to work up to "proper" ones. I'm very competitive but I'd like to do this the sensible way instead of attempting The Race after only one week's training!!!

I'm coming from a fairly fit starting point - competitive martial arts and mountain biking plus previous gym/yoga background. I commute daily on my road bike and I'd be fairly confident I could pull together a decent cycle. Running is definitely my weak point although I enjoy trail running (I'm just sh*t at it!).

I'm thinking I could be ready for a "baby" adventure race by about May so looking at one of the following:-

Connemara Adventure Challenge (10k Run : 2k Mountain Climb : 17k Cycle : 3k Run/Kayak/Run)

Shannon Blueway Adventure Race (7k run : 1k kayak : 25k cycle : 3.5k trail run : 3k cycle : 0.5km run)

Blackstairs Adventure Race Easy Option (11k Trail & Mountain Run: 15k cycle : 0.5k run)

Any advice re the above or generally in relation to starting adventure racing?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

probably more useful to ask here

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭QueenMTBee

RayCun wrote: »

Ooops! Can a mod please move my post?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

RayCun wrote: »

Possibly but not so fast :) there are a few folks here to have done adventure races, Neady, Career Move and Baby75 could probably help.

QueenMTB for what it's worth I've done the Shannon Blueway race and I can highly recommend it as a beginners race. All of the one's you've listed look dooable to me to although I don't know your training / running /biking history.

Edit I see you're already a cyclist :). You could probably do any of those races fairly easily with a little training, just start doing regular runs on and off road.

for what it's worth I've done the Shannon Blueway race and I can highly recommend it as a beginners race. All of the one's you've listed look dooable to me

Thanks. That's the one I thought would be the best for me - the running is broken up into manageable sections (which helps mentally) and the cycle takes up a good part of the entire distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

QueenMTBee wrote: »
    Thanks. That's the one I thought would be the best for me - the running is broken up into manageable sections (which helps mentally) and the cycle takes up a good part of the entire distance.

That's why I chose it too. The first run is fairly flat with only a couple of drags, the 2nd one is up a steep enough hill, most people had to walk up, even a lot of the speedies but it was still manageable. The camaraderie from the other competitors was 2nd to none with everyone being really encouraging as there was a fair bit of overlap with faster folks passing (me) on their way back while you're on your way out.

Actually that's reminded how much I enjoyed it - might sign up for this year again :).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

Hi QueenMTBee

you have picked some good ones all ready

I think two you should also look at are :

The Moxi http://www.totalexperience.ie/web/moxie-adventure-races/
    and Brian does some great training days before the event its one I will be doing this year (we wanted to do this one last summer but it was on the same day as another we had registered for) delighted it's on an earlier date

also the Lilliputlegend adventure race http://lilliputlegend.com/
    this one I did do, it was my first ever adventure race and I loved it, I did the ''bad ass 45km'' Franky who runs it is brilliant and runs training day which covers the mini ass distance he covers basics of kayaking and quick transitions. also, the BBQ after you finish the race was outstanding I would go back alone for that :)

you also have any of the quest series if it's your first one I would go with the shorter distance but they are expensive in comparison to the other 2 above

I did the Gaelforce – Women's Adventure Race they do two one spring early summer and one later in the summer

what kind of training are you doing :)

Possibly but not so fast :) there are a few folks here to have done adventure races, Neady, Career Move and Baby75 could probably help.

QueenMTB for what it's worth I've done the Shannon Blueway race and I can highly recommend it as a beginners race. All of the one's you've listed look dooable to me to although I don't know your training / running /biking history.

Edit I see you're already a cyclist :). You could probably do any of those races fairly easily with a little training, just start doing regular runs on and off road.

I may look that one up :)

Baby75 wrote: »
    what kind of training are you doing :)

I'm still finishing a bit of shoulder rehab so I'm not in full training mode yet. Currently commuting daily on my road bike (about 17k round trip) and then doing trails on the mountain bike at the weekend. One short trail run during the week, a longer one at the weekend and one interval session on roads. Also two gym/rehab sessions. I just haven't joined any of them up yet - I guess that's the next step.

Two of my best friends are triathletes so they will be able to help me with the training but they didn't know anything about adventure races. I want to start with one I can do okay in as that will make it easier then going into a longer one.

sounds like you have a great base to work from :) you will have no problem at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 197 ✭✭novarapid

As Baby75 said you've a great base to work from, Some of the adventure races have training plans on their websites you could get a few ideas from them (i know the quest series do) the main focus would be on doing some bike- run- bike sessions to get your legs used to cycling and then running.
    I'd imagine you would be well able for the middle distance of any race if your doing a long run and bike already at the weekend. enjoy, they are great fun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

I'm not sure that I can add any more to the good advice that you've already been given. I did the Connemara adventure race last year and it's well organised and in a great spot. The bike section requires a MTB too so you'd be well within your comfort zone.

I'm based in Galway but I train a good bit in Clare with some great teamies down there. We're always happy to have fresh faces along on our training sessions so if you're int he area, you're more than welcome to come along.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

Why wait till May :)
    You have plenty done to start you off Gaelforce Dublin is 4 weeks away...
    Short course would be ideal albeit a tad pricey @€;85 same price for the long course. (that would be grand too)
    All you have to do is add a 5km run at the end of your commute to get the legs used to it.

Im doing the long course and its predominantly cycling (uphill) and im not doing much more than you,
    Did my first combo just Saturday gone 15km bike, 12km hill run and 20km bike (basically rolled back down from the hills)

Advertisement