Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking to buy in Maynooth - Question

Options
  • 08-01-2018 4:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭

The time has come for me to finally be a grown up and I'm celebrating by taking out a ridiculous mortgage that I'll still be paying off when I'm about 70!!

Anyway, after much scouting, me and my better half have both agreed that Maynooth would be a great place to settle. Gorgeous main street, historic castles, great amenities and close to Dublin.

However, I'm not from the area and know little of the where to and where not to buy.

2 Questions.
    1. Recommendations for estates to look at and estates to avoid (for whatever reason)
    2. What are peoples thoughts on Meadowbrook, Moyglare and Newtown.

Any feedback would be really appreciated.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭IrishAlice

Hi cavemeister, congrats on your decisions such an exciting time! 

We bought in Maynooth 3 years ago and absolutely love it. 

The better estates in my view would be Rockfield, Parklands, Silken Vale of the older estates. I don't know much about the new build estates. 
    The above 3 would be quite pricey to buy and often times require quite a bit of modernisation which is a downside but the neighbourhoods are lovely and the houses are a good size. 

We bought in Brookfield which is across from Meadowbrook and the houses are more or less the same layout. Positives are that the house is a nice size with a big garden and it was reasonably priced as it needed work. Downside I would say is the number of rented houses in the estate. We are lucky as there aren't many students so it's quiet but a lot of the houses are in desperate need of some TLC! 

There are quite a lot of students in Meadowbrook and Moyglare, not too sure about Newtown. 

My advice would be to view any house your interested and take a walk around the estate - see how well the houses are looked after and if you can take another drive back later at night on a Wednesday or Thursday and see what the noise levels are like as the student usually go out on these nights :D

Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Rathkenny

It would depend on which estate in Moyglare you were looking at. Moyglare Abbey has very few students. The vast majority of houses are owner occupied and is a well kept and quiet estate. There may be more students in Moyglare Village and possibly Moyglare Hall but I know a fair few families in Moyglare Hall that are very happy there.

Newtown Court is a very nice and quiet estate with a lot of families.

Best of luck with your search. Maynooth is a great town.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Bought about a month ago but been living here for 15 years or so.

Loads of lovely estates to live in it'll come down to personal preference. I never wanted to live the Moyglare side of town. Just a personal choice. But lovely houses there and well established estates but you generally have to drive through the town. This is something you will want to mostly avoid.

Best advice. Look on daft, talk to estate agents. Again personal opinion means there is 1 of which I would never use or recommend. Left our house keys into a shop to collect...

What are you priorities for buying? New build? Close to school? Big garden? Commute? Answer this and you'll have a fairly good idea of where you don't want to live in the town.

Oh and best of luck!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Park Lands and Rockfield are both lovely, Silken Vale is nice.
    Maynooth Park is a nice older estate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭Davexirl

Morning everyone, what is Straffon Wood like? It looks to be right on the outskirts beside the M4, say there might be constant noise coming from the motorway because of its location.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Staplor

I went to look at one, and left after seeing the sitting room, it was very small.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭Fire1985

The time has come for me to finally be a grown up and I'm celebrating by taking out a ridiculous mortgage that I'll still be paying off when I'm about 70!!

Anyway, after much scouting, me and my better half have both agreed that Maynooth would be a great place to settle. Gorgeous main street, historic castles, great amenities and close to Dublin.

However, I'm not from the area and know little of the where to and where not to buy.

2 Questions.
    1. Recommendations for estates to look at and estates to avoid (for whatever reason)
    2. What are peoples thoughts on Meadowbrook, Moyglare and Newtown.

Any feedback would be really appreciated.

Thanks.

Hi,

Im from maynooth so heres my advice, best estates are castlepark, parsons hall, moyglare abbey, parklands, rockfield... Bare in mind the housing in maynooth is generally old so the houses are cold.. Obviously if you buy a new house thats solved... Carton wood, & moyglare hall have new builds at the moment so worth a look. i personally wouldnt buy up in beaufield , meadowbrook, college green area because its where most of the students are staying... Nice houses and nice people up there but the students would be a problem for me. Especially if you plan a family soon.... Great location though...Old greenfield is a council estate , the only council estate in maynooth. has a rough element and wouldnt advise there either. Im sure a drive around the town would help you. the traffis from moyglare through the town is a pain sometimes. school out times etc.... but the is a back road around the town that brings you outby tesco ...

• Registered Users Posts: 68,900 ✭✭✭✭L1011

There is another council estate in Maynooth... (O'Neill Park)

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭gonko

I'd rethink the whole Maynooth thing. It's a student town really with a big tesco and a train station. Couple of bars and a main street.
    Houses are way overpriced for what you get too.

I'd also comment, I do frequent maynooth for the sports world store and the odd bit of shopping in tesco. I found the people extremely rude. My kids would smile at the locals, only to be snubbed...and the amount of times I've nearly been ran over with my kids at the pedestrian crossing is shocking and in tesco, again ped crossing, people would prioritise their shopping trip over allowing you cross the road. I've only met one 'nice' person down there, unfortunately.

Not a bad place on the whole, but you couldn't give me a house there.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭jethrothe2nd

gonko wrote: »
    I'd rethink the whole Maynooth thing. It's a student town really with a big tesco and a train station. Couple of bars and a main street.

I'd also comment, I do frequent maynooth for the sports world store and the odd bit of shopping in tesco. I found the people extremely rude. My kids would smile at the locals, only to be snubbed...and the amount of times I've nearly been ran over with my kids at the pedestrian crossing is shocking and in tesco, again ped crossing, people would prioritise their shopping trip over allowing you cross the road. I've only met one 'nice' person down there, unfortunately.

Interesting assessment and have to say pretty far away from my experience. There is a lot more than just a big Tesco and a train station. A good number of quality restaurants, a choice of places to do your shopping, a library, a gym etc etc. Not sure how you are separating/defining locals, but again I can't say I have experienced anything at the level you seem to have. I'd agree about the house prices but is that not generally the case outside of Maynooth as well?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

I found the people extremely rude. My kids would smile at the locals, only to be snubbed...and the amount of times I've nearly been ran over with my kids at the pedestrian crossing is shocking and in tesco, again ped crossing, people would prioritise their shopping trip over allowing you cross the road. I've only met one 'nice' person down there, unfortunately.

That has to be up there with one of the most ridiculous comments I've ever read here. And to be very honest, it reads as either very ignorant or bitter. Or perhaps a bit of both.

yellow hen wrote: »
    That has to be up there with one of the most ridiculous comments I've ever read here. And to be very honest, it reads as either very ignorant or bitter. Or perhaps a bit of both.

I agree. Ridiculous.

The only thing I agree with is the house prices but north kildare in general is very expensive now. In fact houses are very expensive everywhere close to Dublin. Look at the new estate in Kilcock. Similar prices to maynooth & Kilcock isn’t great.

Maynooth has so much to offer I don’t know where to start. We’ve brilliant public transport, Dublin bus, bus eireann & train. Excellent schools and it’s the only town in Ireland to have a college ,. The college students give the place a great busy athmosphere if that’s what you’re into . We’ve good restaurants, cafes and decent shops. we’ve got Dunne’s stores , Tesco, boots , sports direct , super valu , Aldi , Lidl , subway , elverys, great pubs , plenty of takeaways, within walking distance of carton golf course which is beautiful for walks. Glen royal hotel which has a great gym and pool. Numerous other gyms too.

Soccer club, gaa , rugby , tennis , etc.

Maynooth has lovely people in it but as with ALL towns, cities & villages across Ireland there’s people who aren’t nice.

Great town !!

Carton Park/Tesco gets lots of customers from outside the town so assuming they're from Maynooth is rather a leap.

L1011 wrote: »
    Carton Park/Tesco gets lots of customers from outside the town so assuming they're from Maynooth is rather a leap.

I think it's beside the point to be honest. It's a juvenile sweeping comment with no merit and certainly of no help to the OP.

LOL - someone didn't smile at your little brats? awwww you've plenty to be complaining about.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭AttentionBebe

So...you don't actually live there then? :rolleyes: I've been here 12 years OP. It's a great little town. I've been in the Newtown area for most of that time and it's lovely and quiet, but still near the town and train station.

I see the Maynooth locals are out in force defending their area and house prices.

OP you even note one person referred to my 3 year old and 1 year old as little brats. This is the Maynooth way from my experience, and we see it again on this thread. Hostile and defensive, rude and bitter......generally not a happy bunch. If you see someone from there actually look happy or smile......take a photo. It'll be rarer than big foot.

I know the area very well, I've been in and out of there over the past 12-15 years.
    Personally, I'd rather live in a tent. It's a shame, I'm sure there are nice folk there, I just haven't met them yet. I live in hope though.

There's only one example of bitterness on here.

If you dislike the town that much I'd suggest you stop going there

There's only one example of bitterness on here.

If you dislike the town that much I'd suggest you stop going there

So if I don't share the same opinion as the locals, leave....?

Im not bitter at all by the way. I just gave an opinion based on my (extensive) experience with the place.
    OP can take it or leave it. Far be it for me to tell someone where to live, but I will offer an opinion provided I have some knowledge or experience on the topic.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Im not bitter at all by the way. I just gave an opinion based on my (extensive) experience with the place.
    OP can take it or leave it. Far be it for me to tell someone where to live, but I will offer an opinion provided I have some knowledge or experience on the topic.
    Your extensive experience differs from everyone else's extensive experience yet you still want to get your point across.
    My advice to you would be to stay away from Maynooth. Everyone else would be better off!

I see the Maynooth locals are out in force defending their area and house prices.

OP you even note one person referred to my 3 year old and 1 year old as little brats. This is the Maynooth way from my experience, and we see it again on this thread. Hostile and defensive, rude and bitter......generally not a happy bunch. If you see someone from there actually look happy or smile......take a photo. It'll be rarer than big foot.

Guessing the apples don't far fall from the tree tbh.

I wholeheartedly recommend you keep your extensive (LOL) of the town to tesco and sports world.

Actually judging you on this, i'd guess someone is bitter about not being able to afford Maynooth house prices...

By the way how else did you expect to be treated when your original post was so dick-ish?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

There is another council estate in Maynooth... (O'Neill Park)
    it was at the start, but I think most (all?) houses have been bought back from the council?
    I know several families that have been in there since it was built, and one of the post-primary teachers was (is?) a long-time resident.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Interesting assessment and have to say pretty far away from my experience. There is a lot more than just a big Tesco and a train station. A good number of quality restaurants, a choice of places to do your shopping, a library, a gym etc etc.
    agreed, Maynooth has far more amenities and features than almost any other comparable town in Ireland.
    for its size, it's punching far above it weight.

most towns of ~15k people will have far less shops/facilities, and of a much lower quality IMO, and that's before the transport links, which are better than plenty of areas in Dublin itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭AttentionBebe

Does your extensive experience include actually living there? If you think that every single person you meet from an area is horrible, did you ever consider that the problem might actually be you? :rolleyes:

I'll stay out of this thread OP. You can deduce from my treatment on here and the smart arsed type replies, what the locals are like.

Happy house hunting.

I'll stay out of this thread OP. You can deduce from my treatment on here and the smart arsed type replies, what the locals are like.

Happy house hunting.

Go on any forum and say ridiculous things about an area & I guarantee you’ll get the same replies. I’d say anyone who read your original reply regarding people not smiling at your kids thought you were pathetic. God love ye

Happy house hunting.

From your treatment on here??? Please. Stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭cavemeister

Thanks for all the feedback folks. I'm delighted to say that I have gone sale agreed on a lovely house in Maynooth. Looking forward to spending the next part of my life in this gorgeous town!!!

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the feedback folks. I'm delighted to say that I have gone sale agreed on a lovely house in Maynooth. Looking forward to spending the next part of my life in this gorgeous town!!!

Congratulations op. I don't think you'll regret it as a place to live. Hope the sale goes quickly and smoothly for you.

Advertisement