Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking to buy in Maynooth - Question

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭gonko

Fire1985 wrote: »
    Go on any forum and say ridiculous things about an area & I guarantee you’ll get the same replies. I’d say anyone who read your original reply regarding people not smiling at your kids thought you were pathetic. God love ye

They are not rediculous. Its just a different breed of person I guess in different areas. Any other area I go to, the kids get a smile or nod. I acknowledge others, I don't get ran off the road at pedestrian crossings...... It's just about being friendly. Perhaps it's maynooth locals all out of shape that their student town is reaching overcapacity and the little roads in and out are a nightmare, making everyone angry down there.

Maynooth as a place is not too bad as such. Typical student town, decent anemities etc, good bars etc.
    But look, I have to say, the people (and based on this thread) are not the most pleasant. Someone even made reference to my ability to buy in Maynooth....again, getting personal with me insinuating I must be less well off and somehow the maynooth resident is richer and wealthier, a sick pig attitude to have.....again, typical of my experience with the place. I made clear you could not give me a house there for free. Although buying there would have me on a snidge cheaper mortgage.
    Note....i am sure there are nice people there as I say, but in my experience it is heaving with rude, ignorant people.

Wishing OP all the best in the new home. Well done.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

ah a last word haver as well.... enjoy the shopping, watch out for the pedestrian crossings and maybe keep the kiddies at home in case no one smiles at them.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭jethrothe2nd

Thanks for all the feedback folks.  I'm delighted to say that I have gone sale agreed on a lovely house in Maynooth.  Looking forward to spending the next part of my life in this gorgeous town!!!

Congratulations. I hope you enjoy living in Maynooth. It's a great place to live.

lordgoat wrote: »
    ah a last word haver as well.... enjoy the shopping, watch out for the pedestrian crossings and maybe keep the kiddies at home in case no one smiles at them.

That's quite rude and saracstic of you.
    Your stereotypical Maynooth resident basically.
    Are you a Maynooth local. If I was a betting man I'd say yes.

It would also validate what I've said in this thread all along LOL.
    So go on tell us, are you a Maynooth resident????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Staplor

Eh, seriously why is everyone giving in and responding to trolling?

• Advertisement

It isn't trolling. It's just full of poor ****ty people. Even today leaving the new sports shop, this disgusting piece of vermin pushed past my 3 year old as she was following her mother.

It's not a nice place and there are lots more houses going up there, perhaps to rent out to more students.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

gonko wrote: »
    It isn't trolling. It's just full of poor ****ty people. Even today leaving the new sports shop, this disgusting piece of vermin pushed past my 3 year old as she was following her mother.

You're absolutely correct of course. Someone brushed past my son rather gruffly on the way into Arnotts yesterday. I will therefore never return. Place is full of ruffians.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭RisingDamp

gonko wrote: »

It's not a nice place and there are lots more houses going up there, perhaps to rent out to more students.

Why do you keep going back?!

• Registered Users Posts: 24 citylad74

What’s that Hayfield estate like? It looks very nice but a little out of town perhaps. It’s a little pricey now also. Carton Grove looks nice also. Seems to be quite a delay after the first phase though.

Looking at buying a nice family home in Maynooth over the next 12 months hopefully so appreciate any recommendations. Would prefer a relatively newer house if possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

I don’t agree with many of the negatives above having lived in the area now for nearly 15 years. The amenities are great, town is lovely. However the one thing I will flag is the traffic. Depending on where you live in the town, and what your activities are you potentially will spend a horrendous amount of time in traffic at all times of the day but particularly for extended periods around rush hour and school openings/closures. There are more traffic lights in maynooth than I have ever seen in a town!

I will also agree in relation to the beaufield area estates in particular. They are largely very cold, in need of upgrading and many coming on the market are ex student rentals in need of a fair amount of TLC so buyer beware in terms of cost to do those works.

We ended up buying elsewhere primarily due to the traffic and the premium on poor condition second hand homes but I still go to/pass through maynooth three or four times a week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Goose76

My partner and I are vaguely considering Maynooth for our first home. We are familiar with the area and know it has a lot going for it.

Our main concern (apart from being further out from Dublin than ideal) is the students. Particularly, my partner made a point that we could buy a lovely house and everything could seem perfect but we could then have a massive turnover of student neighbours each academic year with no stability in terms of who we are living beside year on year.

Of course its not students as a whole we are concerned with but the likelihood of loud weekday parties on a regular basis is extremely off-putting. I am a very light sleeper and could not cope with this.

My questions are:
    - Which estates are least likely to have large numbers of undergrad students
    - Would estate agents typically be reliable / honest in terms of telling you the demographic of the estate you are looking at.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,900 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The estates with the most students would be College Green, Kingsbry, Cluain Aoibhinn, Beaufield. Estate agents will lie through their teeth

The % of students in housing estates is falling year on year as the houses just get too expensive and the college builds more of its own units.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭Cakes and Ale

There's a huge increase in the number of students commuting too, which has also led to a reduction in the numbers renting houses in estates. I haven't found the students a few doors down from me that noisy - certainly there's no parties every week, and most of the time you'd never notice them. In fact the summer can be a lot noisier when houses rented by workers have evening barbecues. The estates mentioned though might be different (there's more owner-occupied in my estate).

The traffic is a much bigger concern to be honest. Dreading when the new secondary school will open and when I will have to be potentially doing trips to it!

The new schools impact on traffic could be very negative. Plenty of places are borderline for walking distance to the existing site and will be too far for the new. Not everyone will cycle - I did for years with similar traffic to now but the numbers were low and zero for girls.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

The new school out the Moyglare Rd?
    Will that actually ever get finished?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

L1011 wrote: »
    The new schools impact on traffic could be very negative. Plenty of places are borderline for walking distance to the existing site and will be too far for the new. Not everyone will cycle - I did for years with similar traffic to now but the numbers were low and zero for girls.

Add in the new estate planned for opposite the existing site and traffic will be chaotic up the Moyglare Road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

The new school out the Moyglare Rd?
    Will that actually ever get finished?

Good question. Building is scheduled to restart in April/May with a completion date of end 2019. Whether that actually happens or not is anybody's guess of course. There have been too many false starts already.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭evil_seed

#it's still slowly getting built. Every now and then when passing by I notice an extra bit built

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭matsy1

We also had our heart set on maynooth. Has everything on paper, and educated students wouldn't put me off, that would actually be a good environment for my own kids to live in, IMO.

We changed our mind. We viewed many suitable houses, big gardens, leafy estates with green areas, close to sports and playgrounds. But the traffic is absolutely terrible, even on a Sunday, literally it's like rush hour Dublin city traffic, not an exaggeration. We couldn't believe it and couldn't imagine having to deal with it daily. Leixlip and celbridge maybe doesn't tick all the boxes but by far are easily accessible outside of peak times at least. I wouldnt rule out maynooth forever and would keep an eye on a possible solution from the council to fix it. The locals need to put pressure on the TDS.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

matsy1 wrote: »
    I wouldnt rule out maynooth forever and would keep an eye on a possible solution from the council to fix it. The locals need to put pressure on the TDS.
    This isn't the thread for it but TDs should not be contacted regarding traffic management. It's a county councillor's role.

• Advertisement

We're getting a ring road. For the dearer section funding is locked in, ground investigation tender awarded, route selection on display within two weeks. Two other elements are likely to haen within a similar timescale giving a C ring on the east side, the west side will be development dependent and may never happen - Kilkenny's ring road comes to mind

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭evil_seed

We also had our heart set on maynooth. Has everything on paper, and educated students wouldn't put me off, that would actually be a good environment for my own kids to live in, IMO.

We changed our mind. We viewed many suitable houses, big gardens, leafy estates with green areas, close to sports and playgrounds. But the traffic is absolutely terrible, even on a Sunday, literally it's like rush hour Dublin city traffic, not an exaggeration. We couldn't believe it and couldn't imagine having to deal with it daily. Leixlip and celbridge maybe doesn't tick all the boxes but by far are easily accessible outside of peak times at least. I wouldnt rule out maynooth forever and would keep an eye on a possible solution from the council to fix it. The locals need to put pressure on the TDS.

Figuratively.

Yes for the size of the place the traffic isn't great, but there's places far far worse than Maynooth. I honestly don't find it that bad but I have a little patience </smug>

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Depending on where you were looking, you actually dont need your car as much as you think. We live on the straffan side of town and walk or bike most places. The furthest we have to go in maynooth is tesco and we usually go the back road. In general though, traffic usually looks worse than it is. I find it moves reasonably quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 April12

What is silken vale like? Noise from the trains is something to consider. Heard announcements from the station were quite loud

• Registered Users Posts: 8,424 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

April12 wrote:
    What is silken vale like? Noise from the trains is something to consider. Heard announcements from the station were quite loud

Lovely, quiet, mature estate

• Registered Users Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

April12 wrote: »

Friend of mine lived there and I used to live across the road in parklands, trust me, after a week or two you won't hear the train station anymore! You'll be thankful for how close you are to it too! Silken vale is lovely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 466 ✭✭c6ysaphjvqw41k

I don't live in Maynooth, but very nearby and I'm familiar with it. Some of my family live there and I'm there 1/2 times a week because its where I do a lot of my shopping. Quick run to boots, euroshop, big tesco etc.

I like Maynooth, good transport, great restaurants, pubs, good shopping. I'd definitely live there, but I'd be very selective of where I bought because of traffic.
    I'd probably live on the Straffan side or the Carton side. I wouldn't live on the side of the college because of traffic in the village, but I suppose that depends where your going. I'd always be going towards Dublin direction meaning going back through the village. Even on the Straffan side there are certain estates I'd avoid because I know where traffic builds up.
    I'd avoid Kingsbury and Old Greenfield in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 April12

Lovely, quiet, mature estate
    Thanks. When driving by at the weekend the announcements from the station were very loud. Any idea if this happens for every train including early morning trains? The trains itself are fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

April12 wrote: »
    Thanks. When driving by at the weekend the announcements from the station were very loud. Any idea if this happens for every train including early morning trains? The trains itself are fine.

Yes, they announce all trains, my friend who lived there said she always knew what time it was.
    Like I said, you won't hear it after a while, I never notice it when I lived accross the road in parklands

• Advertisement
Advertisement