Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir connection speed / traffic shaping

Options
  • 08-01-2018 4:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭

Before the new year I was getting consistent 15-20 mbits and 3 bars of 4G.

Because I have no options and need a higher cap I signed up for eir's 250Gb mobile broadband last November @ 60 euro a month.

Since the new year I am still getting 3 bars 4G but my speed is consistently less than one half of 1mbit. Typically 300/400 kbps (a nightmare).

BUT with a speedtest of 300kbps I am able to watch a youtube video in HD and stats for nerds shows the video is playing at 3mb .
    This leads me to suspect that they might now be traffic shaping or something.

My contract is for 12 months but the thought of paying 60 euro a month for speeds less than 1mbit is unbelievable. I need Broadband for my job - not just watching videos.

I live in rural Mayo and was desperately hoping it was related to the storm but their twitter help told me there are no issues in Mayo.

Has anyone experienced any issues with eir mobile speed recently and perhaps seen the traffic shaping issue?

I am dreading trying to get out of the contract if it continues like this. You cant even send them an email right now as their email support system is down for 'essential' maintenance.

I know its a first world problem but my heart is actually broke with the YEARS of messing about and the 1000's spent trying to access decent Broadband in this country.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Download an image from the HEANET mirror to get a real world result.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭adm

My speeds are now back to what they were when I signed up.

Eir have told me they 'reset your location'. I asked the guy what this actually meant and how it worked and he couldn't tell me.

I asked them several times if there was a technical issue but they assured me there were none.

Annoying but I'm hoping it's back for good now. Who knows with this company.

Advertisement