Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New race: Gaelforce West Ultra 2018

Options
  • 08-01-2018 5:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭

Has anyone signed up to do this yet ?

Am in a state of post Xmas 'Muffin top belly' and needed something to motivate myself. Due to possibly some lingering alcohol induced euphoria I signed up to the 154K Gaelforce Ultra... :(

Have done the regular Gaelforce West a couple of times (before the change to June which I am hoping leads to nicer weather!!), and did DCM in October in 3:29 - hoping that my running base work will help me through part of the training plan so just need to get back out on the bike...

With the terrain involved and the obligatory climb up C. Patrick I am right in thinking this 154K is not something to be taken lightly...?

Am unsure of where to start with a training program - am assuming a build up to lots and lots of hours per week and plenty of brick sessions? I'm no athlete but I want to be able to 'respectably' finish the course before they take away the finish line etc (I'm a youthful wrong side of 45)

Any advice / comments ?
    Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

Hi JacEim, I'm definitely no expert but I've done a few of the longer races like this one so I know how difficult (and daunting) it can be to try to figure out a training plan.

I looked at this race when it was announced but decided on the Quest 24 in Killarney instead so I'm kicking off a similar training plan to yourself.

In terms of training, Gaelforce have a sample sixteen week training plan on their website so you could use that as a template to start. Brick sessions are key, particularly 6 weeks out from the event. Getting off the bike after 100km on the bike and a 30km run and trying to get your legs pumping going up CP will be Burn a hell of a lot.

I usually throw in a run/bike/run session every two weeks - maybe a three hour session, just to get the legs used to changing disciplines.

Training on tired legs helps too. One way to work on this is to do an evening session (maybe the three hour run/bike/run) and get up early the following morning to do a run/bike. It will give your body a feel for what it will be going through 5/6 hours into the race.

I sounds like you have the running fairly well nailed so try to get plenty of time on the bike and if you can, get yourself to Connemara for a weekend and recce the course - it will do you the world of good during the race if you know what's ahead of you on each stage.

One other thing to train for are the transitions - treat each transition as a stage of the race. You can train for these during your brick sessions. Lay out your gear and nutrition and get your change over done as quickly as you intend to during the race.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

JacEim wrote: »
    Due to possibly some lingering alcohol induced euphoria I signed up to the 154K Gaelforce Ultra... :(

You'll have the biggest smile when you cross the finish line - it's the most amazing feeling :)

Advertisement