Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

meter/bill

Options
  • 08-01-2018 5:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi,

I am looking for help please.

I have been an Electric Ireland customer for c. 3 years.

I recently received a mammoth bill (delivered Xmas week - thanks Electric Ireland!). It said that my estimated bills had been incorrect and were being adjusted to reflect the actual latest meter reading all the way back to 2015!

So, the issue is that the bill I received seeks to readjust bills not only during a period of estimated meter readings, but also during a period when I had provided actual meter readings to ESB Networks.

In short in October 2016 I submitted a meter reading to ESB Networks. As a result of that reading, Electric Ireland updated the amount owing on my account. My actual usage had been far less than estimated and so my account was placed into credit. This was great, and I was informed that my account was in credit right up until I got the mammoth bill on the back of a subsequent meter reading I submitted in November 2017, which came as a massive shock, and the timing could not have been worse.

My initial assumption was that the bill must have been for the period from October 2016 to December 2017, but that is simply not possible. The bill is almost 5 times by previous usage. At that point, one of the customer reps confirmed that all of my bills had been adjusted.

I am very happy to pay for electricity usage for the estimated period from October 2016 to November 2017 (the date of my last meter reading) as this was an estimated period but I cannot understand how Electric Ireland can seek to now charge me for periods prior to October 2016, a period for which they knew how much electricity I used, and charged me accordingly, but had obviously made an error.

It seems very unfair that Electric Ireland can make such a mistake - fail to rectify it - and then a few years later dump a massive bill on me, without any explanation or apology. They must at least take part of the blame and accept some of the responsibility.

So far, I have spent a few hours on the phone to various customer centre people - one of whom apologised, admitted the mistake was at their end and who then passed me on to the customer credit team to resolve (and who he assured me could offer some recompense). That team - including its supervisor - then stonewalled me with the excuse that I used the electricity and therefore I had to pay for it. That is true, but that is only part of the story - if they have miscalculated the amount I owe, and don't tell me about it for a year or two then I would like to know that and I would also like to be compensated for the resulting bill I now have (delivered in one go with no apology or explanation). I was offered a €40 goodwill gesture with no admission of wrongdoing...that is insulting. It is noteworthy that I have not managed to receive a straight (or consistent) answer from anyone yet.

I was promised a phone call back from the supervisor today....alas I don't hold out much hope, and its now 4.30.

Does anyone know what rights I have in this situation, and what I can do to resolve....? Next stops are the Consumer Association of Ireland or the Commission for Regulation of Utilities I guess which is ridiculous

If the Electric Ireland team want me to PM them to resolve I am happy to.

C

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: Una

Hi charlie1979,

We will certainly look into this for you. Just private message us the relevant Electric Ireland account number, stating that you are the account-holder and confirming your name, address and date of birth.

We will respond tomorrow.

Best regards,
    Una

Advertisement