Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New job vs booked holidays

• 08-01-2018 6:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Hello,
    I have recently accepted a new job. I only attended one face to face interview, which was quite relaxed and then the phonecall to offer me the job. I wasn't asked about pre-booked holidays and completely forgot to mention it when accepting the offer - I was just a bit too excited to accept. The holiday I have booked is 2 months after I start, and would require 2 days one week and 3 the next week.
    The lady whom I was in contact with is now on holidays till just before I start and I'm not sure how to go about telling them. Should I ring up and ask to speak to someone in a similar position to her?
    Thanks for the help.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Should be fine, I accepted a job before, where I started, worked for 2 weeks and then went on holidays for 10 days. I think I did mention it in my final round interview though.

Was an IT company and I had a little leverage as they were short staffed and shipped me off to NY to lend a hand.

If you have an email for the person you were dealing with, email them, they should have an out-of-office reply that would have another person to contact in their absence.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 joeyanne

How do you reckon I go about phrasing the email? Just that I completely forgot to mention it first time round?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Say exactly that, just mention that in the heat and excitement of it all you forgot to mention your holidays.

Is this a full-time salaried position? I ask as generally they'll be sounder in how employees take their holidays. i.e. as long as there's adequate cover there should be no problems as long as you stay within your holiday total for the year (11 months now I'd take it).

Might need a different approach if it's contract or temp work though which I wouldn't know how to approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 joeyanne

Yep it's a full time salaried position. Thanks! I'll try that approach and hopefully it'll work :)

Advertisement