Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Worst" World Champion

Options
  • 08-01-2018 6:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭

Winning the World Championship is a tremendous achievement but there have been a number of "poor" champions in my opinion.

John Walton and Tony David spring to mind (Kirk Shepard would also be in the mix if he'd managed to win) but for me the "worst" was Scotlands Les Wallace.

Think the BDO really need to change their strategy as I don't think many view the Lakeside winner as a World Champion anymore.

TbL

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭sc86

some of the bdo winners are journeymen that fluked it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Stonedpilot

sc86 wrote: »
    some of the bdo winners are journeymen that fluked it

Like Rob Cross?. Van Gerwen let crowd get to him in semis really affecting his game and Taylor was mentally on a beach somewhere with a cocktail. Terrible PDC final. Like an exhibation match.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭catrat12

Like Rob Cross?. Van Gerwen let crowd get to him in semis really affecting his game and Taylor was mentally on a beach somewhere with a cocktail. Terrible PDC final. Like an exhibation match.

Ah think that’s bit unfair on rob cross he had a great season and played unreal in final

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

catrat12 wrote: »
    Ah think that’s bit unfair on rob cross he had a great season and played unreal in final

Aye I agree, he was a worthy winner, the real final was his match v MvG, Taylor scraped his way into the final and was simply unable to deal with Crosse's heavy scoring, MvG would have thumped Taylor as well.

have a look at his stats from the final before you make silly comments

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

The BDO version is no better than pub darts, in fact some of these pros wouldn't win a game in a lot of pubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,277 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Close to the most idiotic post I have ever read on this site.

And there have been some classics.

Good job.

mdwexford wrote: »
    Close to the most idiotic post I have ever read on this site.

And there have been some classics.

Good job.

Yours must be the most idiotic so if mine is close. You thought that was a good final?!?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭dok_golf

Keith Deller

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭JenovaProject

Yours must be the most idiotic so if mine is close. You thought that was a good final?!?!?

It wasnt a "competitive" final but it was a good final.
    Rob Cross is as far from the worst world champ as you could imagine.His performance this year and in the world championships have been the most remarkable from a rookie ever.MVG didnt do what Cross did,hell,even Taylor didnt do what Cross did.
    Rob Cross is here to stay and for you to mention him in a thread about the worst world champions is idiotic at best.

• Advertisement

It wasnt a "competitive" final but it was a good final.
    Rob Cross is as far from the worst world champ as you could imagine.His performance this year and in the world championships have been the most remarkable from a rookie ever.MVG didnt do what Cross did,hell,even Taylor didnt do what Cross did.
    Rob Cross is here to stay and for you to mention him in a thread about the worst world champions is idiotic at best.

It wasnt a good final. Let me clarify. I find him remarkably boring.
    Hes obviously a great player.

It wasnt a good final. Let me clarify. I find him remarkably boring.
    Hes obviously a great player.

You find the 3rd highest average in a world championship final boring?
    A 167 checkout against the throw boring?
    Winning a leg after Taylors possible 9 darter boring?
    Granted it wasnt close or competitive,like I said,but to put Cross's name in a thread about worst world champions is idiotic no matter how its spun.
    It wasnt Cross's fault it was boring it was Taylors,Cross played some of the greatest darts seen in a world final,especially seeing as it was his debut.

I dont even want to mention his name in this thread.Its an insult to the mans performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,449 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

I was surprised how calmly Cross took the whole becoming world champion thing, he wasant jumping around celebrating or anything

if that was me I'd be jumping around like a maniac

PTH2009 wrote: »
    I was surprised how calmly Cross took the whole becoming world champion thing, he wasant jumping around celebrating or anything

if that was me I'd be jumping around like a maniac

So would I!!!
    He has the look of a man who thinks he'll win more,he was glad to give Taylor the limelight is his last ever match.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

I wasn’t a big fan of John Part’s last Worlds (where he beat Kirk Shepherd in the final). I like Part, but he hadn’t had a vintage year and didn’t even have a great year following it. The draw just opened up for him and Kirk winning would’ve been a better story tbh, everything just fell flat and Part kinda won by default in the end. What I think frustrated me most was it was probably the only Worlds where I got to watch nearly every session so I was totally invested, and it really didn’t feel worth the time put in by the end.

I think if Cross regresses to become a middle of the pack player, we may view these Worlds similarly in the future. Not because of Cross (if anything he was the highlight), but more because of Taylor getting to the final without even needing to be at his best, then when he played a player in the form of his life he was decimated easily. It all depends on if Cross turns into a contender for years to come, in which case it was the passing of the torch, or if he’s more of a Kirk Shepherd.

I don’t even count the BDO anymore. At this stage, it’s just something to fill the void after the PDC ends. Up to even 5 years ago you could’ve argued there was some merit to winning that, but now it’s just grand for the lads who’ve chosen the different path to get on the telly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

dok_golf wrote: »
    Keith Deller

Deller wasn't that bad he won the BDO when it was the "real deal" and didn't he get to the semi final of the PDC World Champs years later. Think he also got to the final or won the Masters too

TbL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

leggo wrote: »
    I wasn’t a big fan of John Part’s last Worlds (where he beat Kirk Shepherd in the final). I like Part, but he hadn’t had a vintage year and didn’t even have a great year following it. The draw just opened up for him and Kirk winning would’ve been a better story tbh, everything just fell flat and Part kinda won by default in the end. What I think frustrated me most was it was probably the only Worlds where I got to watch nearly every session so I was totally invested, and it really didn’t feel worth the time put in by the end.

I think if Cross regresses to become a middle of the pack player, we may view these Worlds similarly in the future. Not because of Cross (if anything he was the highlight), but more because of Taylor getting to the final without even needing to be at his best, then when he played a player in the form of his life he was decimated easily. It all depends on if Cross turns into a contender for years to come, in which case it was the passing of the torch, or if he’s more of a Kirk Shepherd.

I don’t even count the BDO anymore. At this stage, it’s just something to fill the void after the PDC ends. Up to even 5 years ago you could’ve argued there was some merit to winning that, but now it’s just grand for the lads who’ve chosen the different path to get on the telly.

Yeah Part was ranked 11 that year, which was a truer reflection of his standing at the time really

That was a weird World's with no-one averaging over 100 in a match, a lot of the Players' came down with flu and it was the first year at the Ally Pally. Taylor was also in appalling form by his standards. Part was a solid customer and as you say pretty much won it by default

Then again there was a lot of let-downs around those years in general, when it came to the Worlds'. The year before, Barney and Taylor rescued an awful tournament, where Andy feckin' jenkins was a semi-finallist

The likes of Terry Jenkins and James Wade who played so well in other tournaments never really performed at the World's and it took years for Adrian Lewis to get going at them. Most of the top players then were much more inconsistent

The standard is much higher now

PS - I do agree on Cross. Superb tournament but in 10 years' time if he does fade into irrelevance (unlikely) it'll be viewed differently as a poor year.

You find the 3rd highest average in a world championship final boring?
    A 167 checkout against the throw boring?
    Winning a leg after Taylors possible 9 darter boring?
    Granted it wasnt close or competitive,like I said,but to put Cross's name in a thread about worst world champions is idiotic no matter how its spun.
    It wasnt Cross's fault it was boring it was Taylors,Cross played some of the greatest darts seen in a world final,especially seeing as it was his debut.

I dont even want to mention his name in this thread.Its an insult to the mans performance.

Quality is not in doubt, when I mean good is what you mean by competitive. I mean you could look at Barcelona drill a team 6-0. Might be amazing quality but boring game.

He's amazing player just very suddued, like a guy who has smoked few joints in interviews.

OK I regress, I was being flippant mentioning him. Life goes on.

In fairness Taylor averaged 102.26, the second highest final losing average ever.

He played well. Cross was just unplayable and wasn't missing.

The tournament on the whole didn't have many competitive games. How many even went to a deciding set, very few.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,624 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

The winning average in the final in the BDO since 1994 has been 92.4. Not once has a winner in the PDC gone that low. Part beat Shepard with an average of 92.86 and Lewis beat Andy Hamilton with an average of 93.06 in '12 but that's as low as they got.

This year's final wasn't competitive but you couldn't help but marvel at how cool Cross was, how well he scored and how he managed a 60% checkout in the final of his first world championships.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,454 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

In fairness Taylor averaged 102.26, the second highest final losing average ever.

It seemed a very soft 102 average - like back in the past when guys would go 3 or 4 points above their usual average against Taylor mainly because he himself was so clinical he was denying them their usual chance to take 60x/70x out in 3 darts (which wins you a leg but reduces your average).

• Registered Users Posts: 24,624 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

How many even went to a deciding set, very few.

7 matches won 3-2 in first round.

4/31 matches from second round on, went to deciding set.

3 of those 4 were in the QFs and SFs.

Quality is not in doubt, when I mean good is what you mean by competitive. I mean you could look at Barcelona drill a team 6-0. Might be amazing quality but boring game.

He's amazing player just very suddued, like a guy who has smoked few joints in interviews.

OK I regress, I was being flippant mentioning him. Life goes on.

the thread is worst world champion
    not worst final

scot mitchell
    christian kist
    mark webster

all these guys are journeymen

parts 08 pdc win was bad
    that was a terrible championships
    but overall he was a 3 time champion and a great player on his day

It seemed a very soft 102 average - like back in the past when guys would go 3 or 4 points above their usual average against Taylor mainly because he himself was so clinical he was denying them their usual chance to take 60x/70x out in 3 darts (which wins you a leg but reduces your average).

He did only have 22 darts at a double so the average is bit misleading.
    Jamie Lewis had 41 vs Taylor in only 3 extra legs for instance.

He scored and finished well though. Cross just had too many guns and too much scoring power.
    7 matches won 3-2 in first round.

4/31 matches from second round on, went to deciding set.

3 of those 4 were in the QFs and SFs.

Yeah that's disappointing.

Cross vs Smith and vs MVG were the only games I was really on the edge of my seat for.

Cross v DvdB and MVG v Barney were decent in the end as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,979 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Klaasen? Won the BDO while Barney was still in it but didn't average above 91 in any match.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 547 ✭✭✭iseethelight

Keith Deller for me, don’t believe he won anything else and the sooner Lewis realises his ‘manager’ resides at next door to useless and gets rid of him the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Keith Deller for me, don’t believe he won anything else and the sooner Lewis realises his ‘manager’ resides at next door to useless and gets rid of him the better.

Ok but do you seriously think Les Wallace was better than Deller?

TbL

if taylor was in the bdo, the pdc would have had some terrible winners also

Pull Barney out of the Bdo and the rest are all contenders for worst world champion.

Bdo is not even a world championship any more...i had a game of darts tonight with my.mate in the pub...we are not in a team..we only play once a week(more like once a month) for craic:3 180's plenty of 140's and 121 125 highest checkout was 121 then 81 and 72.....we are joke players....we are useless...we were also about 8 pints of lager gone...we played 15 legs and those were our best scores....avg of 56.09 and 55.09...the Bdo worl d champs is a glorified pub game with a bit of effort and practice id reckon anyone posting on this thread would a least make it past the 1st rd....id doubt any of us would make it past the pre-lims in the PDC though

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 547 ✭✭✭iseethelight

Ok but do you seriously think Les Wallace was better than Deller?

TbL

Les mcdanger - yeah ok I take your point

Advertisement