Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Worst" World Champion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

John Walton and Tony David spring to mind

TbL[/QUOTE]

Answered your own question, John boy Walton

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭sc86

Pull Barney out of the Bdo and the rest are all contenders for worst world champion.

Bdo is not even a world championship any more...i had a game of darts tonight with my.mate in the pub...we are not in a team..we only play once a week(more like once a month) for craic:3 180's plenty of 140's and 121 125 highest checkout was 121 then 81 and 72.....we are joke players....we are useless...we were also about 8 pints of lager gone...we played 15 legs and those were our best scores....avg of 56.09 and 55.09...the Bdo worl d champs is a glorified pub game with a bit of effort and practice id reckon anyone posting on this thread would a least make it past the 1st rd....id doubt any of us would make it past the pre-lims in the PDC though

big diff is your playing with no pressure
    im sure alot of them lads are decent but just wilt on the stage

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

sc86 wrote: »
    big diff is your playing with no pressure
    im sure alot of them lads are decent but just wilt on the stage

Yeah to be fair, the entire upper echelon of the sport is predicated on handling pressure and hitting shots when it counts. Anyone who earns money to pay darts is by definition good at it. I once scored a cracking curler of a free-kick, Roberto Carlos style, while messing with my mates on the green, it didn’t make me good enough to be a professional footballer because I was able to do something cool this one time. Professionals are able to do it time and again when it counts.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭matban

Totally disagree that this years PDC final was boring.
    Have watched every PDC WC since inception.

We saw a future darts legend destroy the most legendary player of all time.

The manner in which he won also was very exciting, plenty of maximums, crazy outshots to win sets, turns around his opponents 9 dart attempt, couldnt miss 18s, nails the double to win first time.

Most darts fans around the world will be eagerly watching his next tournement.

imho, Rob Cross hit a new level of darts not seen before in that final.
    The average was not a record probably because he scored poorly in a few games against the throw. But the lack of nerves and the way he took out sets and the title completely blew me away, most enjoyable final for a few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,753 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

matban wrote: »
    imho, Rob Cross hit a new level of darts not seen before in that final.
    The average was not a record probably because he scored poorly in a few games against the throw. But the lack of nerves and the way he took out sets and the title completely blew me away, most enjoyable final for a few years.

I agree, he hit the same levels MvG hits, I really look forward to those 2 going head to head in the future, could well raise the standard of both their darts. The SF was an awesome match, MvG didn't panic or buckle under extreme pressure, and neither did Cross, when MvG came back at him and had darts for the mtch, they both had balls of steel and in the end Cross just eeked over the finish line first!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

No mention of Christian Kist. I don't know is a Lakeside win count as a world title since around 2008

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

No mention of Christian Kist. I don't know is a Lakeside win count as a world title since around 2008

Les Wallace makes Kist look like MVG :)

TbL

Les Wallace makes Kist look like MVG :)

TbL

I was just thinking of more recent ones. I didn't really watch much darts until I was born 😀

I was just thinking of more recent ones. I didn't really watch much darts until I was born 😀

It's a school night so you mightn't read this till tomorrow...:) some of the early BDO finals were fantastic. John Lowe was a super player and the Mike Gregory/Taylor final was excellent

Some of the later BDO winners were poor and some of the beaten finalists we really poor

TbL

Ps: proper darts back then, pints to beat the band and hard to see the players through the cigarette smoke :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

He was mentioned.

According the world governing body of the sport it's the only world title.

If Darts ever became an Olympic sport it would be all BDO/WDF players competing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭gonko

catrat12 wrote: »
    Ah think that’s bit unfair on rob cross he had a great season and played unreal in final

Taylor had already checked out of darts. His standard was poor throughout (for him). I remember watching the interview, MVG was having one day off then back to the board over Christmas, talking about his routines etc. Taylor just spoke about his turkey dinner and relaxing with the grand kids over.

Cross produced some great darts, but taylor was not worthy of a final this year and got smashed as a result.

Its a pity Anderson was so off for with his hip too (off topic).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,276 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

gonko wrote: »
    Taylor had already checked out of darts. His standard was poor throughout (for him). I remember watching the interview, MVG was having one day off then back to the board over Christmas, talking about his routines etc. Taylor just spoke about his turkey dinner and relaxing with the grand kids over.

Cross produced some great darts, but taylor was not worthy of a final this year and got smashed as a result.

Rubbish.

You clearly don't watch much darts.

It was the 2nd highest losing final average of all time. He talks bollox wouldn't surprise me a bit if he was practising more than mvg over the Xmas.

I think Kist win's it hands down by having the lowest Tournament average to ever with the BDO or PDC World's.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭gonko

mdwexford wrote: »
    Rubbish.

You clearly don't watch much darts.

So do you think that this was like taylor anything like his prime? Even close?

No. His mind had already checked out.

So do you think that this was like taylor anything like his prime? Even close?

No. His mind had already checked out.

All the statistics should he played very well actually. Cross was just so good it made him look average! He averaged 102 over 9 sets, wired d12 for a 9 darter. No one can do this "with there mind already checked out."

You honestly think he wasn't too interested in winning his 17th world title in his last ever professional match?

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭SBPhoto

Like Rob Cross?. Van Gerwen let crowd get to him in semis really affecting his game and Taylor was mentally on a beach somewhere with a cocktail. Terrible PDC final. Like an exhibation match.

His average scoring and check outs doesn't suggest that though, i though he was brilliant and deserved the title.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭TheBigEvil

There are a few....

Richie Burnett
    Les Wallace
    John Walton
    Tony David
    Scott Waites (only because his first win was with an 86 average.... 86 ! ... and emm his second was an 87 !!!)
    Christian Kist

TheBigEvil wrote: »
    There are a few....

Richie Burnett
    Les Wallace
    John Walton
    Tony David
    Scott Waites (only because his first win was with an 86 average.... 86 ! ... and emm his second was an 87 !!!)
    Christian Kist

Definitely wouldn't have Burnett in there he'd a ok career, couple of decent wins and finals. Think he got to PDC world champs QF's twice in early 2000's as well.

Didn't think that Waites average was that low though!

TbL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Huntergonzo

A few of the BDO champions post 1993 haven't been great and a few of them have already been mentioned.

Now I'm a PDC fan, they're streets ahead of the BDO in terms of talent, promotion, presentation etc BUT I love the Lakeside as a venue, a lot of the Ally Pally fans are twats of the highest order and I'd far rather attend the Lakeside given the choice.

Also while I don't follow the BDO 'world championship' nearly as intently as the PDC version, I still enjoy watching it. There's just something charming about it, could be the clueless counting or the under 80 averages etc, who knows, but it's an entertaining watch.

Ps, BDO is not pub darts, they'd hammer most pub players, without question!

• Advertisement

There's just something charming about it, could be the clueless counting or the under 80 averages etc, who knows, but it's an entertaining watch.

Aye and the camera men getting the angles completely wrong every now and then, so you are focused on the T17 bed when the arrows are going at T20 or T19, I find that very quaint!

Inquitus wrote: »
    Aye and the camera men getting the angles completely wrong every now and then, so you are focused on the T17 bed when the arrows are going at T20 or T19, I find that very quaint!

Ye they got a good close up of Lisa Ashton's arse there earlier when she was going for Double 6.....you just don't get that with the PDC.

Also you have players like Martin Phillips who goes for T17 when on 107 with only 2 darts in his hand (which doesn't leave a shot at the Bull) and his opponent behind him on a 2 dart finish......suppose he's only been playing for 40 years, can't expext him to know how to count yet!

Man I really do love the BDO, I'd love yo see Unterbuchner win it but I'd imagine McGeeney will take care of him tonight.

The PDC is actually worse than the Lakeside for the bad camera work!!

The PDC is actually worse than the Lakeside for the bad camera work!!

The Lakeside has been really bad this edition for some reason!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭shockframe

I would say that the thread would be better named most disappointing world champion. Worst world champion is a bit harsh.

TheBigEvil wrote: »
    There are a few....

Richie Burnett
    Les Wallace
    John Walton
    Tony David
    Christian Kist

Burnett was a serious player in the second half of the 90s and made 3 finals in 4 years and took Barney to a tie break in his last. Won the world masters.Not having that.

Wallace like Burnett was a very good player in the 90s and was beaten the following Lakesides by 2 winners and one of them a prime Barney who he almost beat. Won the world masters. Personal life had a huge part to play in his darts career fading.

John Walton. Practically nothing afterwards but was once world masters and world champion at the same time. Was outstanding the year he won it. His scoring at Lakeside 2001 was unreal and beat an upcoming King and Mardle plus a prime Ted.

David was disappointing but it was unreal he ever got that far in the first place. A Leicester CIty of darts. Nothing wrong with that.

Waites was underwhelming when he won it but his achievements elsewhere add weight to his worth as world champion.

Kist has been very disappointing and I wont say otherwise. His injury might be a factor.

This just looks like an excuse to have a go at the BDO. Lakeside was and is very tough to win. You'll get surprise winners every now and then in most individual sports.

Taylor winning all those PDC weighs heavily against the BDO but Taylor himself lost 7 out of 12 PDC WC games to a lakeside finalist and 3 of the others were to a lakeside semi finalist.

If Taylor hadnt existed in the PDC side the world champions could have been the likes of Harrington,Manley,Dudbridge. Would that have looked much better than who won Lakeside.

shockframe wrote: »
    I would say that the thread would be better named most disappointing world champion. Worst world champion is a bit harsh.

Burnett was a serious player in the second half of the 90s and made 3 finals in 4 years and took Barney to a tie break in his last. Won the world masters.Not having that.

Wallace like Burnett was a very good player in the 90s and was beaten the following Lakesides by 2 winners and one of them a prime Barney who he almost beat. Won the world masters. Personal life had a huge part to play in his darts career fading.

John Walton. Practically nothing afterwards but was once world masters and world champion at the same time. Was outstanding the year he won it. His scoring at Lakeside 2001 was unreal and beat an upcoming King and Mardle plus a prime Ted.

David was disappointing but it was unreal he ever got that far in the first place. A Leicester CIty of darts. Nothing wrong with that.

Waites was underwhelming when he won it but his achievements elsewhere add weight to his worth as world champion.

Kist has been very disappointing and I wont say otherwise. His injury might be a factor.

This just looks like an excuse to have a go at the BDO. Lakeside was and is very tough to win. You'll get surprise winners every now and then in most individual sports.

Taylor winning all those PDC weighs heavily against the BDO but Taylor himself lost 7 out of 12 PDC WC games to a lakeside finalist and 3 of the others were to a lakeside semi finalist.

If Taylor hadnt existed in the PDC side the world champions could have been the likes of Harrington,Manley,Dudbridge. Would that have looked much better than who won Lakeside.

All fair points and as you say Lakeside is tough to win, incredibly tough. I always laugh at this idea that it's pub league level, not many lads in pub leagues are capable of averaging 80+ over 8, 9, 10 etc sets, especially infront of a big crowd and thousands watching on the tele.

shockframe wrote: »

That's why I had it written as "worst" and "poor" did you even read it properly?

You presumption that I was having a pop at the BDO is also way off the mark, I grew up watching the likes of Lowe, Jocky and Bristow. Some of my best darts memories are from the BDO.

I'd also name checked Shepard if he'd won his final.

Wallace was a "poor" darts player, his personal issues are irrelevant when considering his darts career. Stack and rack his achievements against all the other champions and to my mind he's the "worst" champion ever.

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭sc86

when did you join boards phil :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭kerrylad1

Winning the World Championship is a tremendous achievement but there have been a number of "poor" champions in my opinion.

John Walton and Tony David spring to mind (Kirk Shepard would also be in the mix if he'd managed to win) but for me the "worst" was Scotlands Les Wallace.

Think the BDO really need to change their strategy as I don't think many view the Lakeside winner as a World Champion anymore.

TbL
    Deller for me tbl,Bristow to this day,must be kicking himself,he didn't go for the bull.

• Advertisement

kerrylad1 wrote: »
    Deller for me tbl,Bristow to this day,must be kicking himself,he didn't go for the bull.

Hey Kerrylad,

How are things.

Just watched the last leg again, Deller played very well and that 138 checkout to win it was pure class.

Deller also beat Lowe and Jocky on the way so he hadn't an easy ride.

Didn't live up to the hype but he'd an ok career

TbL

Advertisement