Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Worst" World Champion

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,703 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

I cannot stand that tall presenter on Channel 4 with the big nose. He is horrendous. He tries to polish a turd the whole time. Likes to make everything sound exciting, when a lot of it isn't

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Ally Dick wrote: »
    I cannot stand that tall presenter on Channel 4 with the big nose. He is horrendous. He tries to polish a turd the whole time. Likes to make everything sound exciting, when a lot of it isn't

Complete oposite then of the woman out the back with the lovely boobs who interviews the players. She basically tells them how **** they played and how they'll have to up there game

• Registered Users Posts: 12,703 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

Complete oposite then of the woman out the back with the lovely boobs who interviews the players. She basically tells them how **** they played and how they'll have to up there game

There are two crackers out the back. One of them looks a bit like Aleisha Dixon. The other one is older but still very foxy

• Registered Users Posts: 11,276 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

It's almost as if the channel he works for encourage him to hype things up and try to keep viewers watching. Imagine that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,214 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

I loved the bdo growing up,loved the drama,john.lowe,Bob Anderson,jocky,Eric, but it was the only darts to watch,after the split I kinda lost interest mostly because Taylor had zero real competition in the big events,winning finals 7-0 is terrible to watch..

Especially as he was always a knob Imo, total hypocrite ,he did then what he lambasts mvg and cadby for now..he nearly nutted Dennis the menace after he threw 6 darts of a 9er and was preparing to approach the oche for his next 3..
    Got right in his face..

And of course his conviction for sexual assault on two counts and attitude afterwards cemented my dislike of the guy.

(Amazes me how defensive his fans are over his conviction)

Cross wupping him in the final was brilliant,could only have been bettered if it we're mvg or Barney...or... Gurney

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭minty16

John Walton without question.
    The talk about the standard of BDO darts on here is absolutely laughable.
    Clearly none of the idiots play darts . Never thought we'd see the day that we have armchair darts fans in the style of the idiot shouting at his screen at the football match.
    Cross final wasn't impressive?

Oh my god,
    Total gimps. The best performance in world championship history by a long shot.
    He would have smashed Taylor in nearly every one of his 16 wins playing like that.
    Dont come on here often and I doubt Ill come back any time soon after reading this rubbish.

Mark McGeeney would have ran away with this competition :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,276 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

minty16 wrote: »
    Clearly none of the idiots play darts . Never thought we'd see the day that we have armchair darts fans in the style of the idiot shouting at his screen at the football match.

Oh my god,
    He would have smashed Taylor in nearly every one of his 16 wins playing like that.
    Dont come on here often and I doubt Ill come back any time soon after reading this rubbish.

1995 England Phil Taylor (94.11)
    1996 England Phil Taylor (98.52)
    1997 England Phil Taylor (100.92)
    1998 England Phil Taylor (103.98)
    1999 England Phil Taylor (97.11)
    2000 England Phil Taylor (94.42)
    2001 England Phil Taylor (107.46)
    2002 England Phil Taylor (98.47)
    2004 England Phil Taylor (96.03)
    2005 England Phil Taylor (96.14)
    2006 England Phil Taylor (106.74)
    2009 England Phil Taylor (110.94)
    2010 England Phil Taylor (104.38)
    2013 England Phil Taylor (103.04)

7 out of 14 PDC wins over 100 average.
    6 of those being over 103.

Lets not be too hyperbolic here.

Taylors 110 average vs Barney in 2009 remains the benchmark for finals.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭sc86

Oh my god,

year on year the rubbish posted gets worse

mdwexford wrote: »
    1995 England Phil Taylor (94.11)
    1996 England Phil Taylor (98.52)
    1997 England Phil Taylor (100.92)
    1998 England Phil Taylor (103.98)
    1999 England Phil Taylor (97.11)
    2000 England Phil Taylor (94.42)
    2001 England Phil Taylor (107.46)
    2002 England Phil Taylor (98.47)
    2004 England Phil Taylor (96.03)
    2005 England Phil Taylor (96.14)
    2006 England Phil Taylor (106.74)
    2009 England Phil Taylor (110.94)
    2010 England Phil Taylor (104.38)
    2013 England Phil Taylor (103.04)

7 out of 14 PDC wins over 100 average.
    6 of those being over 103.

Lets not be too hyperbolic here.

Taylors 110 average vs Barney in 2009 remains the benchmark for finals.

Considering less than 2 percent of games in PDC world championships are won by the player with the lower average, (surprised when I heard that too)
    Cross most likely wins 14 or 15/16 and smashes him in 7 or 8 .

2009 was a superb performance from Phil I have probably over looked that in the heat of the moment. Considering what both he and Barney had done all week It should rightly go down as the greatest performance thus far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Petyr Baelish

Considering less than 2 percent of games in PDC world championships are won by the player with the lower average, (surprised when I heard that too)
    Cross most likely wins 14 or 15/16 and smashes him in 7 or 8 .

2009 was a superb performance from Phil I have probably over looked that in the heat of the moment. Considering what both he and Barney had done all week It should rightly go down as the greatest performance thus far.

Your theory is flawed. You are basing it on Cross's performance in his one and only WC. Let's wait and see how he goes over the next 25 years or so before rushing to conclusions like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,399 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

In defence of Phils Taylors early averages he was often getting no help at all from his opponent.
    If the other guy can go out in 15 darts regularly (and the odd 12) on their own throw then it can be quite a bump to your own average.
    Whereas Phil was often having to do it all himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭sc86

pdc finals were terrible for alot of late 90s to mid 00s
    alot 1 sided

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

sc86 wrote: »
    pdc finals were terrible for alot of late 90s to mid 00s
    alot 1 sided

Agreed I'd prefer to watch a tense close match like last night rather than Phil handing Manley his ass 6-0!

TbL

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

In defence of Phils Taylors early averages he was often getting no help at all from his opponent.
    If the other guy can go out in 15 darts regularly (and the odd 12) on their own throw then it can be quite a bump to your own average.
    Whereas Phil was often having to do it all himself.

The dartbards were also extremely poor back then with thick wires and clips around the bullseye, The improvement in the boards have helped to improve averages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

Thankfully Sky and Mardle et al dont partake in any such nonesense :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Agreed I'd prefer to watch a tense close match like last night rather than Phil handing Manley his ass 6-0!

TbL

That was a great final though in its own way: the year Manley was a total villain for psyching out a young Adrian Lewis and Taylor came out to defend his prodigy, totally humbling Manley in the process. I always liked Manley more but it was one of the few times Phil got to be the hero to the public.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

leggo wrote: »
    That was a great final though in its own way: the year Manley was a total villain for psyching out a young Adrian Lewis and Taylor came out to defend his prodigy, totally humbling Manley in the process. I always liked Manley more but it was one of the few times Phil got to be the hero to the public.

Yea but the final itself had very little drama.

Last Sunday the pendulum was swinging both directions and either man could have easily won it.

TbL

Advertisement