Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best chipper in the city or county

Options
  • 08-01-2018 6:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭

What are peoples thoughts on the best chipper joints in Galway?

I think Charcoal grill down near the dail is one of the better ones I have had.
    Are all charcoal grills the same in food quality? Supermacs is supermacs no matter which one you go too and I dont mind there taco fries but its nothing special. Curry cheese chip at charcoal was good but didnt try there kebabs.

Nicos in Claregalway was ok when I had it a week or so ago but was a bit steamed so couldn't say for sure.

Mcdonaghs on quay street was always fairly consistent and good but they didnt use to do curry cheese chips or similar.

Any other suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

I find the burgers are all the usual frozen processed muck.

When I 'splash out' on a chipper these days it's usually for the fresh chips. Genovani's (sp? - old The Kebab House Dominick St), Vinnies, McDonaghs all do fresh chips so good enough for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,638 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

McDonaghs hands down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ArtyC

Chilli shack burgers for me !! Lovely .... they've been mean with the chips lately so I'm hoping they'll fix that and it's my top spot !!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Really dont get the gra for McDonaghs. Very mixed for me when i have been there.
    Really like Charcoal grill though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Rumpy Pumpy

McDonaghs is awful overrated. Chips are greasy as hell.

Vinnies is decent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭Bredabe

We love the chips that come from Capital Kabab in Eglington St.

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭Laviski

norio's great chips. preference is a snack box from that place

chilli shack best burger

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭loriexxx

Fish and chips in hooked are delicious along with the lovely interior I think it is far superior to mcdonaghs

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I've had some great fish and chips from Jack Jordans.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭ChunkyLover54

Da Robertas in Salthill.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

Da Robertas in Salthill.

Yes +1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Notch000

Da Robertos chipper was a very poor replacement for Salthill fish and chips

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Psychlops

For me:
    Capital Kebab for curry cheese chips & a big cheese burger.
    Oslo~Pimped Elvis cheese burger & chunky chips.
    Capones~Pizza.
    Apache~Pizza.
    Da Roberta~Pizza.
    Caribou~Handsome burger & chips with bacon & garlic.
    Mc Swiggans~Steak

On a night out the best place ever in the city for a very large curry cheese chip & a massive cheese burger ( literally called a monster burger on their menu ) was Costellos Kebab House near the Roisin Dubh which is now Giovannis, they were never shy with the food portions, I miss that place, no matter where I was on a night out in the city I made it my business to go there for food :-).

I don't understand this fascination with Mc Donaghs.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

McDonaghs are ok but I prefer Charcoal Grill, either sober or drunk.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭testtech05

Jack Jordan's would get my vote I think. Although admittedly I haven't tried some of the places mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

Yeah McDonaghs is a bit overrated.Norios are pretty good, but i do think Jack Jordans is the best chipper in Galway.

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

Gios by the Roisin

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭gandroid

Vinnie's for the chips. They're ok for other fare. Can't really comment on any other chippers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭georgina toadbum

Jack Jordans as well for me. It's my Friday treat.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭whineflu

There's a chipper in Moycullen that used to be in the ITICA but I don't see it listed now.
    Had chips whilst passing through a few times in the past. Damn tasty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Greaney

Luca's in Athenry does terrific Fish 'n Chips. The onion rings are a thing of beauty

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭pure.conya

the burgerstory, they get their meat delivered and press their burgers fresh every day, can have them pink or well done, chips are free and loaded chips half price with a burger, their hot sauces are proper so beware or you will regret it the next morn

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭charleville

Capones is incredibly overrated in my opinion... terrible chunky chips, no thought gone into the burgers, maybe the pizza is ok.
    No other option in Knocknacarra I think is why they’re busy, they need competition.

Gio’s is very good, as is vinnies.
    Burgatory also lovely, been there a few times now.. the damnation burger rocks

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Foxx92

Burgatory also lovely, been there a few times now.. the damnation burger rocks

Is it Burgatory or Burgerstory? The sign said Burgerstory yesterday but that didn't seem right

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭bagels

Mario's in Tuam serve delicious chips. I can't comment on the rest of their menu because I haven't tried it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,411 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Foxx92 wrote: »
    Is it Burgatory or Burgerstory? The sign said Burgerstory yesterday but that didn't seem right

I noticed yesterday as well that they are now called The Burgerstory. I wonder why they changed their name??

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I noticed yesterday as well that they are now called The Burgerstory. I wonder why they changed their name??

Quietly changed a few months ago.

My guess is that the original was offputting for some of our American guests.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chrongen

Psychlops wrote: »
    For me:
    Capital Kebab for curry cheese chips & a big cheese burger.
    Oslo~Pimped Elvis cheese burger & chunky chips.
    Capones~Pizza.
    Apache~Pizza.
    Da Roberta~Pizza.
    Caribou~Handsome burger & chips with bacon & garlic.
    Mc Swiggans~Steak

On a night out the best place ever in the city for a very large curry cheese chip & a massive cheese burger ( literally called a monster burger on their menu ) was Costellos Kebab House near the Roisin Dubh which is now Giovannis, they were never shy with the food portions, I miss that place, no matter where I was on a night out in the city I made it my business to go there for food :-).

I don't understand this fascination with Mc Donaghs.

None of the places you mentioned are chippers

Why not throw in Starbucks for coffee or Logues for shoes while you're at it?

A chipper is a place where you get fish and chips as the primary menu choice. Otherwise they're pizza joints, kebab houses or chicken shacks.

McSwiggan's? Chipper? Seriously?

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭topcat77

It has to be Hooked for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,144 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Foxx92 wrote: »

Both terrible names in any case.

Advertisement