Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reimbursing work for training expenses

• 08-01-2018 8:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Work are sending me to Paris for mandatory induction training. They require me to sign an agreement to reimburse them if I leave the company within 12 months of taking the training.

Is this legal? Seems dodge.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Seems a little odd. If it’s mandatory induction training to do the job, then I’d expect them to cover it.

If it was more elective training, and they were covering the costs, then this kind of arrangement would be more typical.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

From their point of view, why spend money on training you only for you to leave and bring that training/knowledge somewhere else. If you don't want to agree to it, just tell them you won't and don't want the training.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 pyaww!

Not really interested in the companies point of view to be honest :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

pyaww! wrote: »

Is it company specific training or will you get a cert/qualification from it?

No cert. Soft skills, teamwork sh!te.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

hmm.

It's not illegal but unusual I know plenty of people in IT who are required to do mandatory trading and have to pay back if they leave but it's usually a cert

as it's mandatory you either do it or look for a new job

out of curiosity is it mandatory for everyone or something you've to do as a result of a disciplinary/performance related issue?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

I see a quick parting of the ways.

:'D I should say professional skills rather than soft skills. Mandatory for all. I'm an exemplary employee

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,600 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Work are sending me to Paris for mandatory induction training. They require me to sign an agreement to reimburse them if I leave the company within 12 months of taking the training.

Is this legal? Seems dodge.

Common enough clause. Perfectly legal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,808 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Paris in the springtime.
    What more could you ask for!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭tedpan

They do that in several corporations. Sending you to Paris costs money, they don't expect you to leave within that period of time. They do the same in my place if you want to do a college course, you cannot leave before you've worked 24 months following course completion or you incur the fees.

I'm guessing if they fire you within the 12 months you won't have to pay?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,213 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Fann Linn wrote: »
    What more could you ask for!
    Not to be put into indentured servitude by your employer?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭MIKEKC

:'D I should say professional skills rather than soft skills. Mandatory for all. I'm an exemplary employee
    You expect company to train you , then you leave shortly after. Only fair that they get some value for money

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

I get why they are doing it but that doesn’t mean I’d agree with it. Screams of stingy but maybe it’s just a deterrent to stop people getting a free trip to Paris before leaving.

Have they stated how much it is costing? Who gets the benefit from the training; you or them? And most importantly, are you planning on leaving within the timeframe laid out?

My 2 cents? Had a similar kind of thing from my old company. Conveniently “never got round to signing” the form. As I suspected, they never chased me for reimbursement when I left and even if they had, they had nothing in writing anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭Rackstar

Possibly they've sensed that you couldn't care less about the job, and are trying to cover themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

That's total bs, Pay for a trip to Paris... Tell them you want someone to record the training on their phone and you'll watch it at your desk when they get back and to shove their free maybe not free trip to Paris up their a$$... Simples

Advertisement