Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Named driver insurance claim

Options
  • 08-01-2018 9:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭

Probably be asked before but here goes again! I'm a named driver on my husband's policy. We take turns year on and off having poilcy in own names and having the other as named driver.
    I did a fair whack of damage to the car with a pole, no other car or person involved thankfully.
    Got a quote today and will need to go through insurance.
    I assume my husband will lose or step back his no claims bonus. When I look to renew my own policy next year do I also lose mine since there was no claim on my policy?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Goose81

annoyedgal wrote: »
    Probably be asked before but here goes again! I'm a named driver on my husband's policy. We take turns year on and off having poilcy in own names and having the other as named driver.
    I did a fair whack of damage to the car with a pole, no other car or person involved thankfully.
    I assume my husband will lose or step back his no claims bonus. When I look to renew my own policy next year do I also lose mine since there was no claim on my policy?

No it's the person who crashes the car loses their NCB

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭tcawley29

Goose81 wrote: »

Are you sure on this?
    I was always of the assumption that it was the policy holder who lost their NCB

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

I would hope to be wrong, but it does sound like its going to be double trouble for the op.
    They are claiming from His policy to repair damage, unless the policy has claim protection then when he takes out a policy again he would have had a claim against him.
    When the op goes to take out a policy, she has been in an accident, which would go against her.
    Hopefully I am wrong, just how I read it, but I expect someone will verify what can be expected from the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭annoyedgal

I've read conflicting things so not sure. I'd be relieved to lose my own and have my husband keep his. Am worried we will both lose it

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

K.Flyer wrote: »
    I would hope to be wrong, but it does sound like its going to be double trouble for the op.
    They are claiming from His policy to repair damage, unless the policy has claim protection then when he takes out a policy again he would have had a claim against him.
    When the op goes to take out a policy, she has been in an accident, which would go against her.
    Hopefully I am wrong, just how I read it, but I expect someone will verify what can be expected from the situation.

that was my understanding too

• Advertisement

tcawley29 wrote: »
    Are you sure on this?

My sister is learning to drive so I asked my mate who works in Allianz before I named her and he said it was the driver, sure how could it be someone's fault who's not driving :confused: at least it better not be or she is coming straight off

When companies ask have you had any accidents or claims in the last 5 years I assume you have to say yes in which case no insurer will touch you so that will be an effect of it because you will have to stay with current insurer for 5 years

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Your husband will go through the NCB reduction process. Depending how much protection there is in place, it might remain untouched, reduced by 3 years or vanish completely.

You will keep your NCB. But you will need to disclosure the claim too, as you were driving and that will influence the quotes as well. You will get much fewer quotes than now.

Too bad it wasn't your husband that was driving and did that damage. Your situation would be much easier then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭tcawley29

tcawley29 wrote: »
    Are you sure on this?

My sister is learning to drive so I asked my mate who works in Allianz before I named her and he said it was the driver, sure how could it be someone's fault who's not driving :confused: at least it better not be or she is coming straight off

When companies ask have you had any accidents or claims in the last 5 years I assume you have to say yes in which case no insurer will touch you so that will be an effect of it because you will have to stay with current insurer for 5 years
    Oh I understand it wouldn't be fair but not too much is in the irish motoring system.
    As regards the OP's case <don't advocate cheating the system, mod>

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

May well be cheaper to get a good independent garage to repair... Stay away from main dealers and just make sure they are reputable.

You might be surprised it may not be that bad.

I rang him there and he said the policy holder looses it so il be removing her from mine tomorrow am **** that, his exact words it's a claim on the policy

• Advertisement

May well be cheaper to get a good independent garage to repair... Stay away from main dealers and just make sure they are reputable.

You might be surprised it may not be that bad.

I must agree with that. In current insurance climate I wouldn't go through insurance it if was only my damage. However the owner of the pole might claim as well if they can identify the OP.

I rang him there and he said the policy holder looses it so il be removing her from mine tomorrow am **** that, his exact words it's a claim on the policy

Don't panic - she isn't insured to drive anything else with your policy.

grogi wrote: »
    I must agree with that. In current insurance climate I wouldn't go through insurance it if was only my damage. However the owner of the pole might claim as well if they can identify the OP.

Never thought of the pole.... Some I've seen near rip cars in half and not a scratch though.

Going insurance route also logs car as crashed.

Don't panic - she isn't insured to drive anything else with your policy.

Yeah but she could easily crash it , she's a shocking driver and I'm not taking the hit to my ncb if she ploughs into a brand new car

Going insurance route also logs car as crashed.

Even if it is not written off?

Even if it is not written off?

It will show as damaged and claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭annoyedgal

Flipping disaster all round by the sound of it.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

The policyholder's bonus is affected, because it is his policy that will be paying out. Going forward, the policyholder has a claim to be declared to future Insurers and the driver has an accident to declare to future insurers which cost €X.

Advertisement