Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Horse hair

Options
  • 08-01-2018 10:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭

So in the last few days I made a several schoolboy errors.

Number one
    I clipped herselfs pony on Saturday, wearing fleece top. Grey hairs absolutely everywhere. More stuck to the fleece than was left on the pony

Number two
    Fired it into the washing machine with a load of other stuff, mostly work clothes but it's all destroyed in grey horse hair.

Have any of you fine people got any tips tricks or techniques to rid my clothes of this itchy torment??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

You can get lint rollers (I think they're in Lidl but it might be the other discount shop in town I found it) where you can wash and reuse them. They're excellent!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,948 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Throw it all in the tumble drier. The lint trap will catch it.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭isaos

LOL... Start by drying everything (the tip re tumbler dryer might work, but you will probably need to give it a good clean-up after! Lint rollers are good but not enough for horse hair, you can try my tip: get a pair of (old!) tights, roll them and use them as a brush. Long hair usually stick themselves in the holes. You can also try using masking tape... Alternatively, you could offer your better half a nice voucher so that she can replace her nice stuff... :D:D

For next time, I suggest you get a rug bag, got one from a co op in Killarney, I use it to wash horse rugs and it works super well while keeping the hair at bay! Good luck..

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭TheFarrier

isaos wrote: »
    LOL... Start by drying everything (the tip re tumbler dryer might work, but you will probably need to give it a good clean-up after! Lint rollers are good but not enough for horse hair, you can try my tip: get a pair of (old!) tights, roll them and use them as a brush. Long hair usually stick themselves in the holes. You can also try using masking tape... Alternatively, you could offer your better half a nice voucher so that she can replace her nice stuff... :D:D

For next time, I suggest you get a rug bag, got one from a co op in Killarney, I use it to wash horse rugs and it works super well while keeping the hair at bay! Good luck..

Thanks for the tips.

Can't really ask her to replace my stuff as half of what got hairy was workwear she bought me for Christmas. She herself came out of it virtually hair free. Think I might buy her her own clippers, and save myself a job in future.

Jesus I hate clipping

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Strictly entre-nous horse folk...those massive washing machine and dryers on garage forecourts are the way to go for "hairy" washes. Just make sure to wipe around the drum in case any hair remains there after to ambush the next user.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Strictly entre-nous horse folk...those massive washing machine and dryers on garage forecourts are the way to go for "hairy" washes. Just make sure to wipe around the drum in case any hair remains there after to ambush the next user.

There is a bag you can get (in equine shops) that catches the hair so the next user doesn't destroy their clothes. DOn't know how they manage it but all the hair sticks to the bag and not the contents. Very handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭TheFarrier

charlieIRL wrote: »
    There is a bag you can get (in equine shops) that catches the hair so the next user doesn't destroy their clothes. DOn't know how they manage it but all the hair sticks to the bag and not the contents. Very handy.

I must look into this thanks

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

TheFarrier wrote: »
    I must look into this thanks

Am on my phone so can only post the like this way but this is where I got mine.

http://www.essentiallyequestrian.com/en/rugs/2290-horsewear-wash-bags.html?search_query=horse&results=117

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭isaos

charlieIRL wrote: »
    Am on my phone so can only post the like this way but this is where I got mine.

http://www.essentiallyequestrian.com/en/rugs/2290-horsewear-wash-bags.html?search_query=horse&results=117

That's the one I got in Tralee, works very well!

Advertisement