Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accountant doubts

Options
  • 08-01-2018 11:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

I'm currently 5 months into a graduate programme (3.5 year contract) in 1 of the big 4 in Dublin. I've had my doubts from the start but I said I'd give it a few month to see if I came around but I have decided I want to leave. I am due to sit 3 CAP 1 exams in the Summer but I do not want to continuing with accounting and will not be hanging around to sit these.

The advice I seek is how to leave?
    Will I have to pay back fees that my company may have paid already to chartered accountants Ireland?
    The CAP 1 exams are €420ish a pop and I'm not sure is there a membership fee too?

Has anybody been in this position before and have any advice?

I do not enjoy my work and I have my mind made up, can anyone help please?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,298 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Moved from Help Desk

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭fishy_fishy

Afaik the 420 is all in. Usually the firms want the fees refunded if you're leaving of your own accord. So unless you have a reason other than just not liking it, you'll probably have to pay at least some of the fees. They might be able to get a small refund, but I'm not sure.

Edit: try contacting the chartered members support thing, or CASSI. They're probably your best bet, short of actually asking your firm.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 fatlamb

Afaik the 420 is all in. Usually the firms want the fees refunded if you're leaving of your own accord. So unless you have a reason other than just not liking it, you'll probably have to pay at least some of the fees. They might be able to get a small refund, but I'm not sure.

Edit: try contacting the chartered members support thing, or CASSI. They're probably your best bet, short of actually asking your firm.

If I contacted CASSI would they elert my firm though? I'd like to find out how much I may have to pay back first

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭tanit

fatlamb wrote: »
    If I contacted CASSI would they elert my firm though? I'd like to find out how much I may have to pay back first

Read your contract to see what it says. Otherwise the maximum you will pay are the full fees for each subject you are enrolled.

And I don't think anyone in CASSI will contact your employer

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭ACAguy

Hi Fatlamb. 
    As a final year ACA student who has changed contracts the best advice I can give is talk to HR and explain your situation. 
    From looking at the regulations it says that
     If the student withdraws from the course programme after 31 December 2017
    Should the student decide to withdraw from the course programme from 1st January 2018, the training organisation will not be eligible for a refund from Chartered Accountants Ireland.  A refund may be requested from the student in accordance with the terms and conditions of employment. 

Repayment of Fees
    In the event of a student transferring or terminating the training contract before the normal expiry date of said contract, the firm may, in accordance with the terms of the training contract, request the student to repay such proportion of education fees as may have been incurred by the firm on his/her behalf. ..

[font=Source Sans Pro, sans-serif]From my personal experience of leaving a company after 3 years which was 6 months before the end of my contract. I was never chased for fees they had paid which for me at that point in time totaled €4000 but for you it would be €1,260. [/font]

[font=Source Sans Pro, sans-serif]Can i ask what are your reasons for wanting to leave. I also wouldn't base a major life decision for the next 3 years of your career on €1,260 and if you were in this mindset in 2 years time you would be looking at 3 times that figure.[/font]

[font=Source Sans Pro, sans-serif]Overall they can come after you 100% for the €1,260 as it's written into your contract it just depends on the individual who decides this and what you say to them..[/font]

[font=Source Sans Pro, sans-serif]I Hope this helps[/font]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭OttoPilot

Nobody in CASSI will contact your employer.

I did a business course in college but did not do accounting! The only thing I enjoy about the work are my colleagues who started with me but apart from that, I do not enjoy the work, the weekend lectures are bull**** (excuse my french) and all I hear about the exams are how hard they are and I fail I'll end up paying for repeats anyway! The longer I stay the more expensive it is to leave its just a shame the little I have saved will go towards getting out of this contract!

I did a business course in college but did not do accounting! The only thing I enjoy about the work are my colleagues who started with me but apart from that, I do not enjoy the work, the weekend lectures are bull**** (excuse my french) and all I hear about the exams are how hard they are and I fail I'll end up paying for repeats anyway! The longer I stay the more expensive it is to leave its just a shame the little I have saved will go towards getting out of this contract!

I've been in your shoes. It's only money. You'll make more. If you're really unhappy just leave. No job is worth being miserable over. €1200 is small change in the greater scheme of things. Less than a months wages. If you're miserable just go!

I've been in your shoes. It's only money. You'll make more. If you're really unhappy just leave. No job is worth being miserable over. €1200 is small change in the greater scheme of things. Less than a months wages. If you're miserable just go!

Did you leave? If so after how long? How much did you pay?

Did you leave? If so after how long? How much did you pay?

It was a different job. I moved to accountancy, as it happens. By the time I left I'd have taken out a mortgage to get out if they wanted every cent of salary back. The amount of money wouldn't have bothered me.

Similarly to you, I knew almost immediately that I wanted to leave but kept staying and thinking it'd get better, I'd settle, I'd get through it etc etc. That never happened. They looked for the full amount of fees back, but I told them I didn't have it. I was underpaid and it was just covering my cost of living. can't guarantee your firm would be the same. I would have been in the hole for multiples of what they'd want from you.

If you're miserable, just leave. Trust your instincts on this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,532 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Someone in my BIg 4 firm left toward the end of the first year and despite failing exams, was not chased for fees, they just worked out a notice period. This was within the last year.

It depends on the firm I suppose but I would imagine in the last few years where theres a bit more competition for graduates and where even Big 4 firms have had trouble filling their places, they hardly want to attract a bad reputation for screwing trainees who decide its not for them, they know well its not for everybody

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭tanit

Zonda999 wrote: »
    Someone in my BIg 4 firm left toward the end of the first year and despite failing exams, was not chased for fees, they just worked out a notice period. This was within the last year.

It depends on the firm I suppose but I would imagine in the last few years where theres a bit more competition for graduates and where even Big 4 firms have had trouble filling their places, they hardly want to attract a bad reputation for screwing trainees who decide its not for them, they know well its not for everybody

It's different if you fail and leave (they will kick you out after failing themselves, it's part of the contract) than if you leave without attempting to pass the exams

Talking with someone in CASSI or that has been in the same situtation is the best in my opinion. But I'm not there so I speak from the outside

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭haro124

I left a big four firm after about a year. From my own experience it is at the partners discretion whether you get charged your fees. I did not get charged.

Advertisement