Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE/Sky/Samsung

Options
  • 08-01-2018 11:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭

Very puzzled about this...
    Arrived to my mothers house this evening to see a brand new 5 series 43in Samsung sitting on the floor. Asked what the story was and was told they can't get it to work. Thought the usual (plugging it in wrong output etc)...I'll sort this out!!!
    Situation is, the sky box they have in the room is slightly old but works perfectly with their existing old Samsung TV. When the HDMI cable is taken out of the old TV into the new TV, RTE1 and RTE2 don't work and the signal on those channels that do work is very bad. The channels work perfectly on the old TV.
    Took the TV back down to the sitting room and plugged it into the main sky box and it worked fine, all channels, all perfect.
    Cant figure out why when the box is plugged into the new TV in the bedroom, it wont display RTE and the signal on the other channels is pants but yet is fine everywhere else.
    Tried multiple HDMI cables in all 3 different HDMI ports and can't see anything else that could be wrong. Been onto Sky, Harvey Norman (where they bought it) and nothing from either of them.

Anyone out there think of anything else?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

Did you do a channel rescan?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,912 ✭✭✭JDxtra

This doesn't make any sense. If it's connected to an actual Sky box, changing the TV will have no impact on the reception of the channels. Maybe the satellite cable TO the Sky box became damaged or loose when swapping out the TV?

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭jfk247

The old TV is still on the wall so when we put the HDMI cable back to the old TV (not touching the one on the Sky box) it works fine.
    When we put it back into the new TV...reception and picture quality are lost.
    The only thing I could suggest to them to try today was take the main sky box from the sitting room up to the bedroom and try that out. Might prove the box in the room isnt getting a strong enough signal from the dish for the new TV (clutching at straws)

Makes no sense at all...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

Are the system settings on the bedroom sky box the same as the sitting room sky box? Eg NTSC/PAL/ auto screen size/interlacing/HDMI settings etc.

so just to update this thread, my mother got onto Sky yesterday and actually got a helpful person. They 'boosted' the signal which was coming into the house and this seemed to work. All channels coming through, some a bit jumpy but this could be the connection at the back of the box being loose or the dusty old HDMI cable but at least they are now getting all their channels from the Sky Box.

They also managed to get a good deal upgrading to Sky Q so hopefully that'll keep them happy for a bit, engineer coming out next week to install that and should resolve any other signal/picture quality issues before he goes...

Cheers for the suggestions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,912 ✭✭✭JDxtra

jfk247 wrote: »
    so just to update this thread, my mother got onto Sky yesterday and actually got a helpful person. They 'boosted' the signal which was coming into the house and this seemed to work.

That's simply impossible. The support person may have sounded helpful - but they haven't a clue, or just said that to make you feel better. Either way, it's completely and utterly impossible.

Ah sure I know that...throw any auld "IT" related jargon down the phone and make it look like we sound clever!!!
    Suppose we'll never know what was actually going unless we can get the Mystery Incorporated crew to pull the mask off this mystery...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,494 ✭✭✭swoofer

out of interest did they get sky q and how are they finding it?

Not yet, getting it installed next Monday so will let you know then

Advertisement