Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House alarm for new build - where to start?

Options
  • 08-01-2018 11:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

Hi,

First of all, thanks for all the info that is already on here - very helpful.

I've a new build end of terrace house, regular 3-bed job. Need an alarm for it and as far as I can see, externally/third party monitored is what I'm looking for.

Was going to just go with PW or Homesecure but from what's on these forums, looks as though that wouldn't be the most cost-effective in the long run due to them tying me down to a contract while basically just renting me the equipment.
    So ideally I'm looking for something to be installed for me that I will own and can then decide on a yearly basis who I want to monitor it for me.
    You guys have recommended the likes of Siemens Vanderbilt, GSD (and HKC although from looking at the forums, it would seem that there are a lot of issues with HKC) etc. as good products and you have also given this link as a list of registered contractors (or correct me if I have misunderstood what that link is).

But I'm not sure what the procedure is - do I first of all pick the product (Siemens/GSD etc.) that I want and then contact a few local contractors in the hope that they have that product and can install it for me? Or is it the contractor I decide upon first and then go with their recommendation? Or do I go and buy the product online for myself and then contact a contractor to ask them to install it for me?
    Then once the product is installed, can I then just pick any company to monitor it for me? Or is each contractor tied to a monitoring company?
    And any recommendations on what to look for when choosing a monitoring company would also be appreciated.

Thanks.
    Jim

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,545 ✭✭✭kub

Hi Jim, well first of all as this is a new build, make sure that you get the house prewired for your alarm system.
    This will involve wiring to all windows and doors and a few beams in halls, landings, master bedroom etc.
    It would be madness not to wire it now as you have a choice and a wired system is better than a wireless one, if for no other reason, it saves you in the long term on batteries.

With regard to HKC and giving the most trouble, to be fair, you have to appreciate that HKC have the highest percentage of the market and i would not hesitate to say nationally and domestically they have more than Vanderbilt and GSD combined.

Also I find that most of the HKC quires on here are from people who self install.

Once at the second fix stage you can then choose a few local installers who are PSA licensed, discuss your requirements with them and only decide who to with when you have everything on paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭kalamityjim

Thanks. House is already built and wired for alarm, sorry, I should've mentioned that.

I'll have a look at some local providers so and get details of what they can offer. So I don't need to buy it myself? The installers themselves will have them in stock?

Thanks. House is already built and wired for alarm, sorry, I should've mentioned that.

I'll have a look at some local providers so and get details of what they can offer. So I don't need to buy it myself? The installers themselves will have them in stock?

Yes they will supply and fit, therefore you will have no warranty issues should the worst thing happen.
    Just make sure that they are all PSA licensed.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Hi,

First of all, thanks for all the info that is already on here - very helpful.

I've a new build end of terrace house, regular 3-bed job. Need an alarm for it and as far as I can see, externally/third party monitored is what I'm looking for.

Was going to just go with PW or Homesecure but from what's on these forums, looks as though that wouldn't be the most cost-effective in the long run due to them tying me down to a contract while basically just renting me the equipment.
    So ideally I'm looking for something to be installed for me that I will own and can then decide on a yearly basis who I want to monitor it for me.
    You guys have recommended the likes of Siemens Vanderbilt, GSD (and HKC although from looking at the forums, it would seem that there are a lot of issues with HKC) etc. as good products and you have also given this link as a list of registered contractors (or correct me if I have misunderstood what that link is).

But I'm not sure what the procedure is - do I first of all pick the product (Siemens/GSD etc.) that I want and then contact a few local contractors in the hope that they have that product and can install it for me? Or is it the contractor I decide upon first and then go with their recommendation? Or do I go and buy the product online for myself and then contact a contractor to ask them to install it for me?
    Then once the product is installed, can I then just pick any company to monitor it for me? Or is each contractor tied to a monitoring company?
    And any recommendations on what to look for when choosing a monitoring company would also be appreciated.

Thanks.
    Jim

Hi Jim
    You have started off in the right direction by dismissing the rental & long contract systems etc.
    You are best to try decide on what system you would prefer & then go looking for a few licenced installers. There are many companies out there that simply install one system rather than what you want or need. So shop around . Also look into what's involved regarding your monitoring & maintenance contract. Again, here whats cheapest may cost you more in the long run. The cheaper options may not cover call outs or may limit you to one or 2 calls per year etc. When the extra calls are needed this is where they make on you. Look for a monitoring & maintenance package that covers all calls & labour. This way there's no nasty surprises when a call back to a fault is needed.
    If you are looking at self monitoring/apps also look into the costs involved here. Most apps are free to download and free to use. Others, like HKC charge for every app & charge for use of the app on a monthly or annual basis.
    Like Phonewatch & Homesecure dont presume popular is best. Marketing is a great tool when you have the large budgets to spend on it.
    Now get 2-3 licenced companies out to do a proper site survey for you to access what suits your needs & do you out a proper system design proposal. This is a legal requirement. Don't accept a quotation over the phone, you will only end up with nasty surprise extras.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,702 ✭✭✭✭altor

Thanks.
    Jim

Its best to let the installer source the equipment for you once you decide what system you plan on having them install.

Most systems installed today can be serviced by any company.
    Some company's will use there own system which is locked to them also.
    Have a read through the numerous threads on here and you will see who this refers too.
    Some company's choose other system over others as that is what they fine the most reliable. I myself would use HKC more as I find them the most reliable over other systems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭pm.

Just to say I had a hkc quantum alarm installed almost 4 years ago and it's bullet proof.... The app is very user friendly and being able to arm / discuss arm remotely is brilliant.

I was so impressed with the hkc set up my neighbor also had one installed as did my mother last year. Also with app I can log into my mother's alarm and set it or unset it if needs be.

pm. wrote: »
    Just to say I had a hkc quantum alarm installed almost 4 years ago and it's bullet proof.... The app is very user friendly and being able to arm / discuss arm remotely is brilliant.

I was so impressed with the hkc set up my neighbor also had one installed as did my mother last year. Also with app I can log into my mother's alarm and set it or unset it if needs be.

And that is why most professional installers will not look beyond HKC.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

kub wrote:
    And that is why most professional installers will not look beyond HKC.

Now now Kub!!

Don't poke the dragon!!

Personally speaking I've have very useful Siemens and HKC systems

Stoner wrote:
    Personally speaking I've have very useful Siemens and HKC systems

I agree Siemens gear is excellent as well but is pricey

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

kub wrote: »
    I agree Siemens gear is excellent as well but is pricey

Siemens is great once you don't require anything wireless. That's what let's it down. I have it in my own house and it's great but they have never really but much effort/cash into developing the wireless side of it and I've had problems with some of their wireless PIR's over the years.

• Advertisement

Siemens is great once you don't require anything wireless. That's what let's it down. I have it in my own house and it's great but they have never really but much effort/cash into developing the wireless side of it and I've had problems with some of their wireless PIR's over the years.

Well that is the scary part, their wireless stuff, is it still Visionic?
    How the 2 of them ever got together is beyond me, like mixing BT's with a street stall.

Well that is the scary part, their wireless stuff, is it still Visionic?
    How the 2 of them ever got together is beyond me, like mixing BT's with a street stall.

No, it's their own gear. In fairness, it was Europlex back when they used Visonic gear.

No, it's their own gear. In fairness, it was Europlex back when they used Visonic gear.

I must be getting old ; ).
    Happy days, Aplex, Identifire, Verifier and that old keyswitch one was it called Zonaplex?

I must be getting old ; ).
    Happy days, Aplex, Identifire, Verifier and that old keyswitch one was it called Zonaplex?

Signet. Always hated ariving to a job and seeing one of the others.

Signet. Always hated ariving to a job and seeing one of the others.

I know, but there was that buzz that you got when you found the fault. Its all too easy now.

Advertisement