Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gym membership - not opening hours I signed up for

Options
  • 09-01-2018 12:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Hi,

I joined a gym in January for three months. The opening hours stated were 7am to 9pm. there are two rooms in the gym. Machines and free weights. On Monday and Tuesday there are classes in the free weights area from 19:15 to 20:00. I was told after joining and was never told before joining that I couldn’t use the free weights area when classes were on. I was also never told that the free weights area closes 30 mins before the machine room. So on the two nights I plan on going to the gym to do free weights from 7pm to 9pm the section is only open for 30mins.

It doesn’t state anything on the membership form about this. Am I entitled to get a refund from the gym. I’ve only been using a week?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Can you contact the gym, speak to a manager and see what they say?

One could argue that the gym is open and available, but it is your schedule that is limiting you. On the other hand, these are limitations that should have been explained so that you could make an informed choice. It’s a bit of both really

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

davis27 wrote: »
    Hi,

I joined a gym in January for three months. The opening hours stated were 7am to 9pm. there are two rooms in the gym. Machines and free weights. On Monday and Tuesday there are classes in the free weights area from 19:15 to 20:00. I was told after joining and was never told before joining that I couldn’t use the free weights area when classes were on. I was also never told that the free weights area closes 30 mins before the machine room. So on the two nights I plan on going to the gym to do free weights from 7pm to 9pm the section is only open for 30mins.

It doesn’t state anything on the membership form about this. Am I entitled to get a refund from the gym. I’ve only been using a week?

Were any of these limitation set out in the terms and conditions upon signing up ? If not then that is what they are, limitations in which prevent you using the gym. I'd be looking for a refund if your not happy.

However if the T&C's state the above then its the gym's discretion to refund you or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Xterminator

honestly i think the 1st port of call here is the gym management.

i signed up
    it hasn't met my expectations & im dissatisfied.
    i want to be released from my contract.

i don't think there would be a problem.
    however for the 1st month i wouldn't expect a refund because you have used the service. you can ask - but it does not appear reasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭skinny90

surely 14 days cooling period applies.

OP act on this quickly and contact the gym management.

If you cannot get there between business hours 9-5 give them a call or email for the attention of the manager.

It is likely the manager may not be present later in the evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

skinny90 wrote: »
    surely 14 days cooling period applies.

OP act on this quickly and contact the gym management.

If you cannot get there between business hours 9-5 give them a call or email for the attention of the manager.

It is likely the manager may not be present later in the evening.

There is no 14 day cooling off period.

This 14 days has become one of the greatest consumer myths.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Tenigate

It's a huge pain in the ass when gyms do this, but it's pretty common during peak times particularly in gyms with limited space.

There's no automatic entitlement to a refund- if you decided to go the legal route the best you can hope is to say when you were shown the gym the area was available, and when you went to use it the area wasn't available, and that the gym knew you intended to use it during that time. Otherwise, it's a case of their gym, their rules.

Explain your case to a manager and hopefully you can reach a resolution.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭skinny90

Really? when I am entering into a long term contract I have always had a cooling off period

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Really? when I am entering into a long term contract I have always had a cooling off period

Over the phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Tenigate

Distant selling regulations. Doesn't apply when you sign a contract in person.

Either that or a cooling-off period is part of the contract you signed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

There is - but the contract must be established remotely.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

grogi wrote: »
    There is - but the contract must be established remotely.

Exactly. And I did not say otherwise. But there are recurring posts advising a 14 day cooling off when clearly there isn't in the case being discussed. People should put this myth to bed by qualifying their comments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement