Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New England Skiing

Options
  • 09-01-2018 12:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 46

Hey guys!

I'm headed over to see some family in Boston at the end of the month and hoping to hit the slopes for a few days,

any boards people been in that neck of the woods?

loads of snow there at the minute, looking at a few different resorts from Killington in Vermont to Attitash in New Hampshire, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭BarryNumber1

Hey Quii,

Been at a few places in New England and I like Mount Snow & Okemo in VT. Keep an eye on their daily snow reports. Haven’t been further north than that but Jay Peak is on my list and supposedly has good glades and the most snow in NE. Don’t do those glades on your own in case you get stuck.

Wasn’t a fan of Loon in NH but conditions were bad that trip. Their bar on the other hand :-)

If you want to ease into it, you could try Wachusetts in MA, and it’s a short trip from Boston. They do a great job with the snow, have nice staff and it can be good when there’s recent snow. I’ve also done night sessions there which is a blast. They do daily video reports as well.

As the Patriots are in the play-offs it can be great to hit the slopes in the morning and catch the game/atmosphere after in the bar. Managed that once and it was terrific. Worth keeping in mind.

Other than that, they do a good job clearing the roads over there so most places will be accessible.

Enjoy the trip!

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Quii

Hey Quii,

Been at a few places in New England and I like Mount Snow & Okemo in VT. Keep an eye on their daily snow reports. Haven’t been further north than that but Jay Peak is on my list and supposedly has good glades and the most snow in NE. Don’t do those glades on your own in case you get stuck.

Wasn’t a fan of Loon in NH but conditions were bad that trip. Their bar on the other hand :-)

If you want to ease into it, you could try Wachusetts in MA, and it’s a short trip from Boston. They do a great job with the snow, have nice staff and it can be good when there’s recent snow. I’ve also done night sessions there which is a blast. They do daily video reports as well.

As the Patriots are in the play-offs it can be great to hit the slopes in the morning and catch the game/atmosphere after in the bar. Managed that once and it was terrific. Worth keeping in mind.

Other than that, they do a good job clearing the roads over there so most places will be accessible.

Enjoy the trip!

Thanks Barry - much appreciated!

was looking at Wachusetts alright but was wondering would there be any craic up that end?

my brother-in-law will no doubt be dragging me to a patriots game so I'm sure he'd be delighted at that prospect!

any suggestions on price? Killington seems wayyy more expensive than Pat's Peak or Wachusettes

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭BarryNumber1

Some craic but not at (some) European resort levels.

On Killington... honestly I prefer smaller more relaxed places, never hit there. But Killington is more of a ski resort then Wachusetts, so the prices will reflect that. Keep an eye on snow reports for all to see what looks good closer to your trip. Ask the outlaws for recommendations as well. I'm presuming you're heading with them to the slopes?

On prices... US lift prices are way more than Europe, food and drink will vary. If you have definite days for skiiing you can book online beforehand for a discount, get multi-day discounts, week days cheaper than weekends, half day options, etc. For food, we always look into diners in the local village/town instead of resort. There's something about me and diners.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Quii

Some craic but not at (some) European resort levels.

On Killington... honestly I prefer smaller more relaxed places, never hit there. But Killington is more of a ski resort then Wachusetts, so the prices will reflect that. Keep an eye on snow reports for all to see what looks good closer to your trip. Ask the outlaws for recommendations as well. I'm presuming you're heading with them to the slopes?

On prices... US lift prices are way more than Europe, food and drink will vary. If you have definite days for skiiing you can book online beforehand for a discount, get multi-day discounts, week days cheaper than weekends, half day options, etc. For food, we always look into diners in the local village/town instead of resort. There's something about me and diners.

I am indeed headed with them, we've decided on Wachusetts as I'm flying out of Providence so it makes life a bit easier on the way home, this is their first time so should be fun!

Will pre-book the lifts for sure! looking forward to seeing what it's like there now! Diners sound like a great call!!!

Must remember to pack my hip flask

Advertisement