Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Corned Beef

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

You literally wouldn't pay me to eat corned beef again, or any food associated with it. Rather go hungry. Rather go vegetarian, its the foulest meat I can imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,046 ✭✭✭✭bnt

It's very strong-tasting, and if you have too much of it, it makes your pee smell ... meaty. So it needs to be sliced thin, or "diluted" in a recipe such as corned beef hash.

Ye Hypocrites, are these your pranks
    To murder men and gie God thanks?
    Desist for shame, proceed no further
    God won't accept your thanks for murder.

―Robert Burns

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Most people don't know what proper corned beef is. Corned beef is a salt-cured beef. The term comes from the treatment of the meat with large grained rock salt, also called "corns" of salt.

Somewhere along the way somebody thought it meant pressed meat with sweetcorn added and squeezed into a can.

Clearly not true. The vast majority of the posters here clearly know the difference between the three main types of Corned Beef, in fact I think it is you that is mistaken thinking there is corn in the tinned stuff. 100% beef in the canned stuff. Just cooked and processed differently. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

If anyone wants to try real Corned Beef, Nolans butchers in Kilcullen sell it sliced. Will never taste the same as when you cook it at home but at least it is the real deal.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,441 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

kylith wrote: »
    QFT

Haven't seen this in years!!!!

Haven't corned beef in years either. I remember it being pretty horrible. Leaves a layer of fat on your pallet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Sliced corned beef from the deli, a slice of mature cheddar in a white bread sandwich. Few crisps on the side. Snack of the Gods.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I have not eaten in a good few years but yes I must admit to enjoying it's trashiness - crisp and corned beef sandwich is indeed a it's so bad it's good winner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Since were talking about Corned Beef, it may also have been the one of the first smuggled items into space.

Astronaut John Young who just died on January 5th (RIP) smuggled a ham sandwich into space before.

The Transcript is brilliant:

Grissom: What is it?
    Young: Corn beef sandwich.
    Grissom: Where did that come from?
    Young: I brought it with me. Let’s see how it tastes. Smells, doesn’t it?
    Grissom: Yes, it’s breaking up. I’m going to stick it in my pocket.
    Young: Is it?
    Young: It was a thought, anyway.
    Grissom: Yep.
    Young: Not a very good one.
    Grissom: Pretty good, though, if it would just hold together.
    Young: Want some chicken leg?
    Grissom: No, you can handle that.

Some congressmen were so furious with the prank that NASA has to apologies and 'take' measures that this would never happen again.

But Corned Beef was on the menu by the time of the space shuttle missions (Which John Young also flew)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Well thank goodness no one smuggled a copy of Playboy onto the moon. Aliens confused by artefact assume all Earthings are the same sex and have long hair and big tits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,854 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

then there is corn beef hash, why was that never a thing here?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Corned beef with chips or with salad.

Corned beef, even Buckingham Palace eats corned beef.

Why don't you try corned beef haaaash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Vladimir Poontang

A quarter of Corned Beef/Luncheon roll and 20 Johnnie Blue

The staple diet of every dole scrounger the length and breadth of the country

And Brawn. It's like crack cocaine to dole heads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,067 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

You haven't lived until you have had corned beef and cabbage in a tayto sandwich.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

silverharp wrote: »
    then there is corn beef hash, why was that never a thing here?

Wouldn't fit in the Rizla's.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 6,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭silvervixen84

Was given corned beef sandwiches for years at school. Butter and corn beef on bread. Sometimes I would swap with one of the lads who travelled on on our bus - my sandwich for his caprisun. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Lorelli!

Not really into the sliced stuff but the cooked one you have with cabbage is nice. I wouldn't have a sauce with it.

My mam never really made that or ham because my dad and brother don't like them but my granny use to make it quite a bit. Didn't matter what she made though, her food was always nice :)

I've made it myself a few times for a change.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,471 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Makes a killer stew.

Zaph wrote: »
    Real corned beef is vile. The tinned stuff is even viler. When I was a kid the real stuff was often made from brisket. When you consider how good a brisket barbecued for 12-14 hours is, throwing it into a big tub of brine before boiling the arse out of it is an awful travesty.

While I respect you as a Boards.ie Admin, thank (g)(G)od you're not in charge of what I eat ! :eek::p

Links below to just one of dozens of craft butchers in Ireland who are producing unique meat products using quality Irish beef, pork, lamb etc- all delicious

I agree with you in terms of the tinned stuff- but please, educate yourself on brisket beef and other cuts and what craft butchers are doing with them. It's not all bad- corned beef is eye of the round, cured and pickled. Spiced beef is also a revelation.

https://www.jackmccarthy.ie/shop/products-page-2/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭OnDraught

If you call it brisket every hipster wets their beards over it.

Marty Bird wrote: »
    If you're feeling rather hungry, hey there's a product you'll remember.

Eat it hot or cold on Sunday, or you can put it in a blender.

Corned Beef with chips or with salad, It's corned beef - even Buckingham Palce eats corned beef.

Hey why don't you try corned beef hash!"?

Oooh! Do "Black Bins Bags" next :D

Advertisement