Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Kia Niro EV

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

Has anyone encountered an issue where there's a crackling sound coming from the steering wheel? It's intermittent and doesn't affect driving as much as I can sense but it's annoying as hell.

I dropped my 192 into the garage where I bought it a few weeks ago for it's first service but they couldn't hear it and wouldn't look into it deeper. Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭chewed

Redlim wrote: »
    What's your take on the quality of the standard e-Niro speakers? If you're not a fan of them could you insist Kia install the JBLs that they advertise as being included on their website?

Not great TBH! I find they distort at loud volume. Not that I boom music, but compared to my previous Sportage, they're a bit flat.

Are they definitely not JBLs in the MY20 Niro?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,136 ✭✭✭championc

What's your take on the quality of the standard e-Niro speakers? If you're not a fan of them could you insist Kia install the JBLs that they advertise as being included on their website?

Sharing photos and jargon between different countries Kia websites doesn't form any basis to what you "contractually" bought. The spec would be the Bible but I'm sure there's an asterisk there somewhere too

Mind you, us pioneering March MY20ers had no idea what to expect. We could only go by rumour and speculation, largely based on UK specs. We of course believed we were stiched up without the LED Headlights, but I am delighted with the bulb replacements that I fitted.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Redlim

chewed wrote: »
    Not great TBH! I find they distort at loud volume. Not that I boom music, but compared to my previous Sportage, they're a bit flat.

Are they definitely not JBLs in the 2020 Niro?

Not sure if they're JBL or not but I have my doubts as I didn't notice any JBL branding in the one I sat in, whereas other locations have the branding on the speakers similar to the attached image.

Not sure if they're JBL or not but I have my doubts as I didn't notice any JBL branding in the one I sat in, whereas other locations have the branding on the speakers similar to the attached image.

I'll have to double check mine again later, but I don't recall seeing any JBL badge on my speakers. I bought mine in early July

• Advertisement

championc wrote: »
    Sharing photos and jargon between different countries Kia websites doesn't form any basis to what you "contractually" bought. The spec would be the Bible but I'm sure there's an asterisk there somewhere too

Mind you, us pioneering March MY20ers had no idea what to expect. We could only go by rumour and speculation, largely based on UK specs. We of course believed we were stiched up without the LED Headlights, but I am delighted with the bulb replacements that I fitted.

I agree the spec sheet itself is the the bible but unfortunately the Kia Ireland website itself seems to be misleading as it specifically points out the JBL system in this image.

Do you mind mind me asking which LEDs you got and are they straight forward to fit?

I got Hi/Lo ZES LED HB3 9005 on eBay

They just twist in like the standard bulbs. The box says 6500k. The important bits are Hi/Lo and the ZES chip

Left is the original, right is the LED - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/202923950239 or cheaper https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000262792851.html

522170.jpg

Cheers, I'm likely buy in a few weeks so this will come in handy.

They just twist in like the standard bulbs. The box says 6500k. The important bits are Hi/Lo and the ZES chip

Left is the original, right is the LED - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/202923950239 or cheaper https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000262792851.html

522170.jpg

You might get flashed by oncoming drivers at night, leds add a lot of glare, might be a good idea to get them re-aligned.

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭darrenheaphy

Are they definitely not JBLs in the MY20 Niro?

Yeah, I found that too but the calibrating the audio made a *huge* difference. The soundstage isn't as encompassing as I would have thought, given it's a brand new car, but it's good. I listen to Audible, for example, and I still prefer clipping in my bluetooth audio headphones if I can.

I'm happy with them, just not blown away by them.

• Advertisement

You might get flashed by oncoming drivers at night, leds add a lot of glare, might be a good idea to get them re-aligned.

Why do you say that ? You can clearly see the lines for where the light shines, and doesn't. The shape of the light beam is identical to that of the halogen light - it's just that the light is whiter and stronger.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,464 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Apparently you can have the same lumen lights LED and halogen but the LEDs seem brighter , something to do with we register the wavelength of the bluer LEDs more ...
    So they can seem to produce a lot of glare ..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Yeah, I found that too but the calibrating the audio made a *huge* difference. The soundstage isn't as encompassing as I would have thought, given it's a brand new car, but it's good. I listen to Audible, for example, and I still prefer clipping in my bluetooth audio headphones if I can.

I'm happy with them, just not blown away by them.

What do you mean by "calibrating the audio"? Are you talking about balancing the audio in the car?

I contacted Kia Ireland to ask if the speakers were JBL and this is their response...

"Thank you for contacting Kia Customer Care. Your vehicle is fitted with JBL Speakers, the speakers are mounted behind the door card so you may not see any labelling.

If you suspect that there is any problem with the audio system in the vehicle, please make an appointment with your Kia dealer who will be happy to investigate any concerns."

Interesting, keep us updated please

I contacted Kia Ireland to ask if the speakers were JBL and this is their response...

"Thank you for contacting Kia Customer Care. Your vehicle is fitted with JBL Speakers, the speakers are mounted behind the door card so you may not see any labelling.

If you suspect that there is any problem with the audio system in the vehicle, please make an appointment with your Kia dealer who will be happy to investigate any concerns."

Wow, that was a quick turnaround and good to hear it's positive news! Thanks a mill for letting us know.

Why do you say that ? You can clearly see the lines for where the light shines, and doesn't. The shape of the light beam is identical to that of the halogen light - it's just that the light is whiter and stronger.

Led lights have a much more intensive light that can cause a lot more glare and discomfort.

I had to get the lights in my i3 adjusted because I was getting flashed.

+ you’re fitting led lights to a headlamp that is not designed to take this much more intense light.

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/05/16/health/blue-light-led-health-effects-bn-trnd/index.html

What do you mean by "calibrating the audio"? Are you talking about balancing the audio in the car?

See attached, I put greater emphasis on the left speaker to better balance the sound stage. I increased bass and mid.

See attached, I put greater emphasis on the left speaker to better balance the sound stage. I increased bass and mid.

Thanks darrenheaphy. I'll try that out in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Went for a drive in the Comeraghs to see what it’s like in the hills. Great, as it happens. Amusing to then see it gaining 6km range in the 4km drive from Mahon Falls to Mahon Bridge. Another 5km bump up in a descent near Clonmel. I wasn’t sure just how much regen adds, but I wasn’t expecting that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,401 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

You can probably see in the menu somewhere how much regen the car is producing. But it is not uncommon to get say about 25kW on average over a 5 minute steep descent. This will top up your battery by about 2kWh giving you over 10km extra range :)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

unkel wrote: »
    You can probably see in the menu somewhere how much regen the car is producing. But it is not uncommon to get say about 25kW on average over a 5 minute steep descent. This will top up your battery by about 2kWh giving you over 10km extra range :)

Yeah it's in the EV menu somewhere but only an instantaneous readout

(Same menu also shows you how much total is used for driving, climate control and "electronics" I think there is a fourth but can't remember)

JohnC. wrote: »
    Went for a drive in the Comeraghs to see what it’s like in the hills. Great, as it happens. Amusing to then see it gaining 6km range in the 4km drive from Mahon Falls to Mahon Bridge. Another 5km bump up in a descent near Clonmel. I wasn’t sure just how much regen adds, but I wasn’t expecting that.

Isn't it great too how much power there is going up the hills :) When I stopped at Coumshingaun last weekend there was Tesla next me

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Busman Paddy Lasty

graememk wrote: »
    Yeah it's in the EV menu somewhere but only an instantaneous readout

(Same menu also shows you how much total is used for driving, climate control and "electronics" I think there is a fourth but can't remember)

Battery Care. Have never seen it do anything though!

Urgh, my daughter spilled her whole milk shake in the rear seat and much has flowed down behind/between them. Any way to lift the base seats to clean it up?

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭CoffeeBean2

I feel embarrassed to say that I only just discovered that the right panel when the large display is in split screen mode. It shows the battery information by default, but you can swip up and down to change what is displayed.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭postsnthing

Anyone had any luck finding a dealer who will service the eniro for a decent price. €200 price that they are saying is coming from Kia is silly for very little

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Urgh, my daughter spilled her whole milk shake in the rear seat and much has flowed down behind/between them. Any way to lift the base seats to clean it up?

This any help?

photos of the disassembly https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipMaetdX0PsFMHexMPI15CIoObxI7t3IQ-IirA9HPZedFbhVS4cqO36-8Y48l8H_xA?key=a3dyMGo2WGxCWWpxQUhZclFPeVE1V3hLT2dqOVZ3

Anyone had any luck finding a dealer who will service the eniro for a decent price. €200 price that they are saying is coming from Kia is silly for very little

Someone about 6 months ago said they got a service done for 80. I remember it was only about an hour's drive from Dublin, down the Naas Road I'm fairly sure

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 vidukasp

Newgate, Navan, Co. Meath
    Newgate Motor Group - Mercedes-Benz & Kia

Was quoted €80 for the eNiro service.

Advertisement