Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Kia Niro EV

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Watching that this morning and the other video from him.
    (coincidentally)
    Very interesting reviews, showing real world usability and facts that other reviewers wouldnt show.
    I think if i were picking between the two I'd take the Niro. They look nicer and seem to have one or two interesting bits that the kona doesnt have.

If the kona doesnt even have TACC here then it's a no brainer.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭icom

Another review from Bjorn.

Kia Niro EV space for tall people + back seat comfort
    https://youtu.be/G11Lp141rns

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Lossy

daheff wrote: »
    i'm going to guess 45k before grants

I just think they'll have this price as its bigger than the Kona.

just reading a number of people on this thread are quoting the PHEV Niro @ 31k OTR. Where are you getting this price?

Iv'e checked with 2 Kia dealers locally and quoted 40k+ off both before grants (7,5k)...so more like 32-33k OTR.

Yeah, mine was 32,500 OTR.

The PHEV gets 7.5k grants. (5k seai and 2.5k vrt)

The EV gets 10k reductions as far as I know. (5k seai and 5k vrt)

HEV just gets 1.5k vrt reduction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Lossy wrote: »
    Yeah, mine was 32,500 OTR.

The PHEV gets 7.5k grants. (5k seai and 2.5k vrt)

The EV gets 10k reductions as far as I know. (5k seai and 5k vrt)

HEV just gets 1.5k vrt reduction.

Its a hell of a car for 32k

• Registered Users Posts: 12,329 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Unless I'm mistaken, the Niro doesn't seem to have automatic wipers.

Bjorn says in his Q&A video that it does, but when he shows the stick it has OFF-INT-LO-HI.

That's intermittent, not automatic.

I hope I'm wrong, that would be kinda ludicrous in such a modern car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,038 ✭✭✭✭tk123

The HEV does so I doubt they'd take it away for the BEV?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Bjorn says in his Q&A video that it does, but when he shows the stick it has OFF-INT-LO-HI.

Arent all automatic wipers shown as INT?
    It is, after all, a form of intermittent in itself just that the car decides rather than a timer.

For instance, your own car has it and you just have the off, automatic, speed 1 and speed 2 settings.... same thing really.

Put another way, your leaf doesn't have an "automatic mode" and a "intermittent timer mode".

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

KCross wrote: »
    It is, after all, a form of intermittent in itself just that the car decides rather than a timer.

For instance, your own car has it and you just have the off, automatic, speed 1 and speed 2 settings.... same thing really.

Put another way, your leaf doesn't have an "automatic mode" and a "intermittent timer mode".
    My Ioniq does though.
    There's 0-AUTO-1-2-3-4-5 for wiper speed control.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Lossy

The Niro Phev has auto wipers (rain sensor)
    I would be very very surprised if the EV didnt have auto wipers.

Off/auto/int/1/2

ELM327 wrote: »
    My Ioniq does though.
    There's 0-AUTO-1-2-3-4-5 for wiper speed control.

Maybe Im wrong so. I drove the Leaf this morning but cant remember now if it has separate auto and int settings... maybe it has.

• Advertisement

Did he also say that he didn't have the top trim level of the Niro EV... so maybe that lower trim level in Korea doesn't have it but we are likely to get one top trim level here so it will... possibly?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭samih

Maybe Im wrong so. I drove the Leaf this morning but cant remember now if it has separate auto and int settings... maybe it has.

Int=Auto on all the LEAFs and I suspect the same is true for Niro.

Lol, never noticed that!
    maxresdefault.jpg

Update...

You are incorrect I'm afraid. That image I posted before was from a Google search.

This is my own car. It does have automatic on the stick.

460843.jpg

Update...

You are incorrect I'm afraid. That image I posted before was from a Google search.

This is my own car. It does have automatic on the stick.

But isn't that OFF-AUTO-Speed 1, Speed 2.... so the same thing?
    i.e. where is intermittent on yours? Intermittent and Auto are the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭bp_me

But isn't that OFF-AUTO-Speed 1, Speed 2.... so the same thing?
    i.e. where is intermittent on yours? Intermittent and Auto are the same thing.

Same but different.

Intermittent works on a timer. Auto generally works on a sensor in the windscreen and the adjustability is the sensitivity control. So you can leave it permanently on auto and when it rains they just start working (unless of course nissan did something weird and unintuitive).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Silent Running

But, auto will bring on more than just intermittent. It will start with intermittent, then progress, if the rain gets harder, on to full speed if necessary. It's that way on any car I've owned with auto wipers.

This gone a small bit off track?

Intermittent and Auto are the same thing.

Not really.

Intermittent will wipe every few seconds, longer or shorter gaps dependant on the setting.

Automatic has a sensor and will decide itself how frequently it needs to wipe.

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    This gone a small bit off track?

Not really.
    We are discussing whether, based on Bjorn's video, the Niro has auto sensing wipers or not.

The video shows the stalk having "INT" and the discussion is if that means it only has traditional timer based wipers or could it still include auto rain sensing.

Its not clear really. I think INT or Auto could be used interchangeably on the stalk. i.e I dont think "INT" necessarily means you dont have rain sensing.

Edit: had a look at a Leaf XE and it doesn’t have rain sensing and instead of “auto” on the stalk it has “- -“ so that confirms it for Nissan at least that auto means rain sensing.

I wonder if Bjorn's Niro is just a lower trim version and the one Kia import here will have it.

• Advertisement

Latest test was at high speed. Could only take a shorter run and then estimate due to speed restrictions in Korea but he reckons 200 miles at 75mph.

Latest test was at high speed. Could only take a shorter run and then estimate due to speed restrictions in Korea but he reckons 200 miles at 75mph.

I hope his estimation is off. That's a huge drop in range! That's at ~120 kph.

I guess the aerodynamics of a house-brick has something to do with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭ewj1978

is it such an unexpected loss? he's increased his speed by 27kph. (usually runs his tests at 93kph)
    Basically lost 20% range while increasing speed by 30%.
    I'd be very happy getting 320km while doing 120kph.

ewj1978 wrote: »
    is it such an unexpected loss? he's increased his speed by 27kph. (usually runs his tests at 93kph)
    Basically lost 20% range while increasing speed by 30%.
    I'd be very happy getting 320km while doing 120kph.

Ah, my mistake. For some reason I read the distance in kms and the speed in mph. Doh! :D

Ah, my mistake. For some reason I read the distance in kms and the speed in mph. Doh! :D

Dont worry I done the exact same....it was only after a few mins wondering why the drop off was so big I figured it out:P

Lol, keeping you on your toes.

Lol, keeping you on your toes.

You're our resident west brit with your mph! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭bonoman66

Bjorn might be proud of this guy in his recent Niro EV test..

:eek:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNVOLUDJ1L4&feature=youtu.be&t=548

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭bonoman66

Came across this EV Range Estimator / Calculator in one of the Kia / Hyndai Forum Threads..

Might interest some here if not already aware of it (Not sure about how accurate the calculations/maths are)..

https://ecalc.ch/evcalc.php?ecalc&carmaker=kia&model=kia_niro_-_60kwh%C2%B2_(2018)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭icom

bonoman66 wrote: »
    Bjorn might be proud of this guy in his recent Niro EV test..

:eek:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNVOLUDJ1L4&feature=youtu.be&t=548

As Bjorn would say, he was 'hammering' it sheeeeet ! :)

Advertisement