Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Kia Niro EV

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

championc wrote: »
    I'd love to hear of someone getting even less that 350km on a full charge - anyone ?

Challenge accepted. When can I borrow yours? I'll only need it a couple of hours too :cool:.

Bjorn tested/reckoned 300km range at 120km/h a few years ago, in ideal (warm, dry, summer) conditions.
    Add a headwind, Ireland, winter, rain etc., you'd see far less.
    Model 3 SR+ Tesla owners are seeing below 250km motorway range, in one of the most efficient, motorway/high speed cars available today.

That has a WLTP range close to the eNiro's, 410km.

Nothing against the eNiro, a great car & plenty of range for everyone in Ireland. No doubt people have achieved 500km+ range by careful driving & good conditions.
    Sustained high speed driving kills EVs though, all EVs.

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭xboxdad

I'd love to hear of someone getting even less that 350km on a full charge - anyone ?

I did about 320km about two months ago in one day, and it used 75%. I started with 90% and ended up with 15%. I only topped about 100km though. I seriously think you'll find it hard with an e-Niro

I did 600-700km a day for 10 days.
    You do not get 300km in the summer even at motorway speeds unless you want to arrive with 0% charge.
    21kWh/100km is a good result in summer on a random stretch of motorway.
    If you deliberately keep the speed lower than the allowed legal speed limit, that's an entirely different story of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,771 ✭✭✭✭JPA

I did about 320km about two months ago in one day, and it used 75%. I started with 90% and ended up with 15%. I only topped about 100km though. I seriously think you'll find it hard with an e-Niro

But the majority of people will drive the speed limit. So your experience will differ a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭darrenheaphy

I used a fast charger in Waterford the other day, was amazing! Will be back to driving up and down to Dublin soon so will be interesting to see how it fares, hopefully up and down without charging (~300km)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

I used a fast charger in Waterford the other day, was amazing! Will be back to driving up and down to Dublin soon so will be interesting to see how it fares, hopefully up and down without charging (~300km)

Will be no problem, the 200 mile, run to belfast and back we've done got us home with 20% left.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Stefs_42

Recently Im having this issue with AC cable not releasing from charging station. I normally just end my charging session via UVO app. cable releases normally from car but occasionally gets stuck on chargers side. As I charge my car at my workplace, onsite electrician who services charger said that it happens only to my KIA. No other users reported this issue whilst charging different brands of EVs. So would there be a fault with a cable since it doesnt come with unlatch mechanism? Should I contact my car dealer and request different type of cable or is it just fauly onsite charging station?

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Stefs_42 wrote: »
    Recently Im having this issue with AC cable not releasing from charging station. I normally just end my charging session via UVO app. cable releases normally from car but occasionally gets stuck on chargers side. As I charge my car at my workplace, onsite electrician who services charger said that it happens only to my KIA. No other users reported this issue whilst charging different brands of EVs. So would there be a fault with a cable since it doesnt come with unlatch mechanism? Should I contact my car dealer and request different type of cable or is it just fauly onsite charging station?

Detach the cable from your car, if the charging station still doesn't release it, it's the charging stations fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,136 ✭✭✭championc

There's nothing on the cable or car to stop the release. But disconnect the car end first.

Maybe just stop charging at work. You can't possibly need the charge with an e-Niro. Leave the charger free for people with smaller batteries like first gen Leafs.

Yeah unless there is a way to stop the charge via the charge point,

Just unlock the car and pull the cable (within 15seconds or something)

It throttles down the charge to 0.5kw and unlocks the cable when the car is unlocked.

No need to bother with the uvo app to stop the charge

Thanks for replys guys! Yea I was aware of 15 second rule and tried both ways to get the cable out, surely since it releases from EV, there must be an issue with charging station. There is no release button on charging station either, so every time it happens, electrician takes it apart and there is a physical latch that is stuck to charging cable. Strangely enough no other EV user had this issue but me! Why only KIA? 16A three phase 11kw Mennekes cable was supplied with the car

• Advertisement

Thanks for replys guys! Yea I was aware of 15 second rule and tried both ways to get the cable out, surely since it releases from EV, there must be an issue with charging station. There is no release button on charging station either, so every time it happens, electrician takes it apart and there is a physical latch that is stuck to charging cable. Strangely enough no other EV user had this issue but me! Why only KIA? 16A three phase 11kw Mennekes cable was supplied with the car

You should have got a 32amp cable 3 phase ( grey one) but that's another story..

When you stop via the uvo can it be removed by the charge point before you remove it from the car?

When you stop via uvo does it unlock it?

graememk wrote: »
    You should have got a 32amp cable 3 phase ( grey one) but that's another story..

When you stop via the uvo can it be removed by the charge point before you remove it from the car?

When you stop via uvo does it unlock it?

32 or 16 amp makes no difference to me, since I work long hours, car is full half way into my shift anyway :)

UVO is laggy at times with unlocking but no, I havent tried unplugging from charging station first, always car first. Is it safe to unplug that way anyway?

32 or 16 amp makes no difference to me, since I work long hours, car is full half way into my shift anyway :)

UVO is laggy at times with unlocking but no, I havent tried unplugging from charging station first, always car first. Is it safe to unplug that way anyway?

If the charging has stopped, it's no issue

graememk wrote: »
    If the charging has stopped, it's no issue

will try that next time, thanks for da tip! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Chumpski

Sorry, newbie here.

When I use one of the 22 kWh ESB chargers in public places, it seems to only use 2/3 KW when the ENiro is capable of 11KW AC charging, why is that?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Chumpski wrote: »
    Sorry, newbie here.

When I use one of the 22 kWh ESB chargers in public places, it seems to only use 2/3 KW when the ENiro is capable of 11KW AC charging, why is that?

What cable are you using?
    If its a single phase cable you will only get 3.6kW from it.

You need a 3 phase cable to get 11kW from those AC charge points.

KCross wrote: »
    What cable are you using?
    If its a single phase cable you will only get 3.6kW from it.

You need a 3 phase cable to get 11kW from those AC charge points.

I have a brand new e Niro and using the cable we got with it.

In a fast charging station in Blanchardstown, which also had 2 DC charge points and 1 AC charge point, i plugged into the third AC option and I saw the car use 11KW once. In that case I used the cable at the station.

But if I use my own cable on the standard ESB chargers with bring your own cable, 2 AC chargers, I see only 2/3 KW there. Ok I see, I have a one phase cable.

Kia don’t give us a 3 phase I guess?

I have a brand new e Niro and using the cable we got with it.

In a fast charging station in Blanchardstown, which also had 2 DC charge points and 1 AC charge point, i plugged into the third AC option and I saw the car use 11KW once. In that case I used the cable at the station.

But if I use my own cable on the standard ESB chargers with bring your own cable, 2 AC chargers, I see only 2/3 KW there. Ok I see, I have a one phase cable.

Kia don’t give us a 3 phase I guess?

Looks like it.
    VW have done with same with the ID.3.... its 11kW capable when using 3ph but they only provide a 1ph cable.... stupid, but thats what they did!

If you want to get 11kW on those charge points you HAVE to get a 3ph cable.

KCross wrote: »
    Looks like it.
    VW have done with same with the ID.3.... its 11kW capable when using 3ph but they only provide a 1ph cable.... stupid, but thats what they did!

If you want to get 11kW on those charge points you HAVE to get a 3ph cable.

Jeez... anybody managed to get a three phase type 2 cable off Kia, after the fact, after buying the car?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Silent Running

Jeez... anybody managed to get a three phase type 2 cable off Kia, after the fact, after buying the car?

I'm sure there is something about it earlier in this thread. Kia changed the cable for the right one if you asked for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,518 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Yup, I think we all did. Assuming yours is the 2020 model with the 10 1/4" infotainment system, then just get in contact with Kia (twitter is probably the most expedient). I got to hold on to my 2 phase cable, which is handy for home charging. I would have thought you'd still get 7kW/hr using a 2 phase cable at an ESB 22kW charging station?

Yup, I think we all did. Assuming yours is the 2020 model with the 10 1/4" infotainment system, then just get in contact with Kia (twitter is probably the most expedient). I got to hold on to my 2 phase cable, which is handy for home charging. I would have thought you'd still get 7kW/hr using a 2 phase cable at an ESB 22kW charging station?

I might have got 7 yes, sorry not sure.

I went from 23 to 58% in 6.5 hours anyways.

Yep Mine came with a blue single phase one, then we got the grey three phase one.

If your only gettting 3.6 you could have a 16amp single phase cable which is meant for the PHEV niro.

It should say on the handle what it is.

I might have got 7 yes, sorry not sure.

I went from 23 to 58% in 6.5 hours anyways.

Thats 3.6kW.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,136 ✭✭✭championc

Several of us got the wrong cables, from different dealerships, and everyone had theirs' replaced, with an oversight apology.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭JohnC.

I got the correct cable with mine, in July.

With an 11kW charger, using a single phase 32 amp rated cable, should you get 7kW max?

But if you want the 11kW you'd need at least a 3 phase 16 amp cable?

But using the cable at your house or a hotels 7kW charge points you'd only get 3.5kW?

So to use the same came and get max from the esb 22kW units and your home unit you'd need a 32amp 3 phase cable.

Have I got that all right?

With an 11kW charger, using a single phase 32 amp rated cable, should you get 7kW max?

But if you want the 11kW you'd need at least a 3 phase 16 amp cable?

But using the cable at your house or a hotels 7kW charge points you'd only get 3.5kW?

So to use the same came and get max from the esb 22kW units and your home unit you'd need a 32amp 3 phase cable.

Have I got that all right?

Yes, a 3ph 32A cable gives you the max rate on every AC charge point.

Cheers. So my 10m single phase 32a cable isn't as future proof as expected. It'll do fine though. Public network is so rarely used. 11kW Vs 7kW isn't a whole massive difference anyways.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

Cheers. So my 10m single phase 32a cable isn't as future proof as expected. It'll do fine though.

A 10m, 3 phase 32a cable would be far heavier & more unwieldy. You'd soon be cursing it if you had to use it daily, especially if your car was only 7kW capable & you were deriving no extra benefit from using such a girthy, heavy, awkward cable.

Advertisement