Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Kia Niro EV

Options

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Kramer wrote: »
    A 10m, 3 phase 32a cable would be far heavier & more unwieldy. You'd soon be cursing it if you had to use it daily, especially if your car was only 7kW capable & you were deriving no extra benefit from using such a girthy, heavy, awkward cable.

Yup. Completely satisfied with my 10m cable. Will do me perfect even when I eventually have an 11kW AC capable car

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭jasonc5432

Collected my eNiro last week and very happy with it so far!

Did you folks receive a manual (book) with yours? I got a quick guide (a few pages) but not the full manual

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

jasonc5432 wrote: »
    Collected my eNiro last week and very happy with it so far!

Did you folks receive a manual (book) with yours? I got a quick guide (a few pages) but not the full manual

Nice! It is by any chance buried in the boot (under the layers of covers)? I've found them there before.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭JohnC.

I got a quick guide for the entertainment system and a full thick manual for the car in general and some other bits inside a sort of folder thing, back in July. Mine was in the glovebox, almost filling it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,038 ✭✭✭✭tk123

JohnC. wrote: »
    I got a quick guide for the entertainment system and a full thick manual for the car in general and some other bits inside a sort of folder thing, back in July. Mine was in the glovebox, almost filling it.

Was yours like a black leather folder? Mine came in a crumpled up plastic sleeve - the Niro I traded in had a posh folder lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭JohnC.

tk123 wrote: »
    Was yours like a black leather folder? Mine came in a crumpled up plastic sleeve - the Niro I traded in had a posh folder lol

Yeah, I had the posh one.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭jasonc5432

ethernet wrote: »
    Nice! It is by any chance buried in the boot (under the layers of covers)? I've found them there before.

Yes, thank you very much! It was indeed under the boot floor (where spare wheel would usually be)!

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭xboxdad

https://www.facebook.com/InstaVoltUK/posts/729899764312896

This also talks about KFC Ireland. Do you guys know anything about this? There's no Instavolt in Ireland currently AFAK, but they're very good/reliable in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,518 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

xboxdad wrote: »
    https://www.facebook.com/InstaVoltUK/posts/729899764312896

This also talks about KFC Ireland. Do you guys know anything about this? There's no Instavolt in Ireland currently AFAK, but they're very good/reliable in the UK.
    The reference to Ireland is just the name of the incorporated company: "KFC UK and Ireland". The article specifically calls out the UK, so I'd say.... very unlikely.

The reference to Ireland is just the name of the incorporated company: "KFC UK and Ireland". The article specifically calls out the UK, so I'd say.... very unlikely.

Oh, they have one single entity for the UK and the ROI? Ah, that confused me..

• Advertisement

xboxdad wrote: »
    Oh, they have one single entity for the UK and the ROI? Ah, that confused me..
    It's pretty common. But not for long!

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Chumpski

Chumpski wrote: »
    I might have got 7 yes, sorry not sure.

I went from 23 to 58% in 6.5 hours anyways.

Contacted my car dealer and Kia Ireland and I had the wrong cable and they sorted me out with one capable of 11KW/h on a/c charging.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,379 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Well, it's possible they forgot part of Ireland isn't in the UK, I've known a few folks who get that wrong every so often

We might be in luck yet, for example centre parcs have pod point chargers at their longford forest park, so it's not totally unheard of to use UK charging companies in Ireland

If they're free of charge, then I hope they do plug and charge without having to validate with an app or RFID card. It's annoying when you have to download yet another app just to access a small subset of chargers (looking at you EasyGo)

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭darrenheaphy

What happens when the battery gets to 0KM? Does the car just power down at that point? I have 19KM left and wasn't sure if I would make it to a charge point (I really should get one installed at home :-D)

What happens when the battery gets to 0KM? Does the car just power down at that point? I have 19KM left and wasn't sure if I would make it to a charge point (I really should get one installed at home :-D)

I never tried, but these guys did:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZH7V2tU3iFc

Do you have a granny cable? You could add a few kms to it before you head out.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,379 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

In general, you shouldn't do this, it's bad for the battery. But hey, it happens to us all sometimes.

So most EVs will maintain a buffer at the bottom of the battery to ensure that even when it reads 0%, it won't run out immediately. This is to protect the batteries, not to give you some extra juice to get to where you're going.

As the battery depletes the car will start limiting power from the engine, called turtle mode. I believe this happens around 10% on the eNiro

Again, this is bad for the battery, you should really try to avoid deeply discharging it as it will accelerate battery degradation

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

Thanks guys! Yeah, I know. I drove to my usual Charge Point but the darn thing was offline, then a last minute work meeting and so forth and I made it home with 19km to spare. Been topping it up with granny cable (which has a lovely display). Better get myself a charge point installed :-D

Already has separate thread - mod

Anyone get a call about a software update, related to onboard charging?

Nope, no call/email

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Redlim

Nope, haven't heard anything either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭chewed

I just dropped my eNiro in to Kia dealer to get a new 12v battery (lots of issues with battery draining). He also mentioned that there was a recall for a software update, so I assumed he meant this.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭postsnthing

chewed wrote: »
    I just dropped my eNiro in to Kia dealer to get a new 12v battery (lots of issues with battery draining). He also mentioned that there was a recall for a software update, so I assumed he meant this.

Have mine since mid 19 had to have the battery replaced follow 2 AA visits they tested it and told me it needed to be replaced. Has to be a big issue with batteries needing to be replaced so early. Was recall for some sleeve on a cable and a firmware update no one contacted me about it though.

Have mine since mid 19 had to have the battery replaced follow 2 AA visits they tested it and told me it needed to be replaced. Has to be a big issue with batteries needing to be replaced so early. Was recall for some sleeve on a cable and a firmware update no one contacted me about it though.

Same here! I've had AA call out 3 times in past 3 weeks. Although they said the battery looked healthy and was charging properly when they checked it. Have you had any issues since they replaced your battery?

Mine's a 2020 (10.5" infotainment screen). Similarly had lots of problems and call-outs from the AA (described in way too much frustrated detail earlier in this thread!). After replacing the infotainment system and having problems persist, it was eventually traced to a problem in the smart junction box (fuse box below right of the steering wheel). This was replaced, alongside the 12v battery and haven't had an issue since (though the USB socket on the infotainment system doesn't work (no Android Auto for me!), and neither does the keyless entry in the driver's door). The garage, Kia and the AA were all asserting that the 12V battery was fine, but it was dropping from 12V to 2.5V overnight (caused by the drain) so I felt it was safer to push for a replacement.

Mine's a 2020 (10.5" infotainment screen). Similarly had lots of problems and call-outs from the AA (described in way too much frustrated detail earlier in this thread!). After replacing the infotainment system and having problems persist, it was eventually traced to a problem in the smart junction box (fuse box below right of the steering wheel). This was replaced, alongside the 12v battery and haven't had an issue since (though the USB socket on the infotainment system doesn't work (no Android Auto for me!), and neither does the keyless entry in the driver's door). The garage, Kia and the AA were all asserting that the 12V battery was fine, but it was dropping from 12V to 2.5V overnight (caused by the drain) so I felt it was safer to push for a replacement.

Mine is also a MY20 (10.5")...only 6 months old. I haven't encountered the issues you've had, so only battery drain. I would be sending back the car again if I was you to sort out USB and Android issues. It's not good enough to pay nearly €40k and not expect a fully functioning car.

chewed wrote: »
    Mine is also a MY20 (10.5")...only 6 months old. I haven't encountered the issues you've had, so only battery drain. I would be sending back the car again if I was you to sort out USB and Android issues. It's not good enough to pay nearly €40k and not expect a fully functioning car.
    We only discovered these additional issues in the weeks after the repair and to be honest, it was a hugely frustrating and stressful 8 weeks, trying to deal with the garage, Kia Ireland and the AA and car replacements during lockdown. These extra issues just were not meaningful enough to enter back into that fray. I'm just mentioning them here, as they could be symptomatic for others who experience battery drain.

When you pick up the car, can you ask them for any more details about the software update?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Silent Running

I have the FE from mid 2019. During the first lockdown, when I wasn't using the car much, I occasionally stuck a smart charger on the battery to keep it topped up. I did my own software update in March, to the latest version available then.

I haven't had any issues with the car. It was in for service in July and they didn't update anything. The only recall event was to supply the new granny charger and rubber cover for same.

When you pick up the car, can you ask them for any more details about the software update?

I asked the guy in Kia about the update and he said it was to do with the ECU...something about improving the logic (?) and improving performance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,136 ✭✭✭championc

There is an issue with 3-phase charging which MyEnergi flagged, and have been working with Kia to resolve. But I don't think that there's any firmware update ready from those investigations. The Kona's got a firmware update a few months back which appeared to be connected to the 12v battery charging, but I don't think that anyone has actually got a Changelog from the firmware update.

Be aware that a firmware update may replace the tripple sections screen layout on the 10.25" Infotainment screen, for just a two sections screen

Advertisement