Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Kia Niro EV

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Redlim

Yes the range would be met by E-Niro, E-soul and pretty much any 60+ Kw EV but the point is that when I need to charge, regularly or not it is a real inconvenience and having the Rex is no inconvenience at all, chargers in use is also a right pain, if and when I do change to another EV I want to be able to charge as fast as possible but as I said it's not the be all because I can take the Diesel but that means electrics + Infrastructure is still not good enough.

Yep, that's fair enough as everybody's case is different. For me I had a 115km return commute (pre work from home). If charging the Niro to full that'd easily do for 3 days commuting without having to charge again. While we'd normally do fairly high mileage we almost never go long distances beyond the range of the car so are very unlikely to need public charging. Haven't even tried public charging yet since getting the car in September, and I don't think it would have been any different if we had the car pre-covid.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Someones Figured out the different battery heating and cooling status's
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9D7zcL13ag

In the comments looks like they think they might be able to control it via CAN.

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Macker

Any idea when the next batch of cars are due in?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭chewed

Having a really bad experience with my eNiro over past month.
    12v battery kept dying on me. Had to call AA out 5 times over Nov/Dec to top me up. Brought it Kia dealer and they said nothing wrong. Died again a few days later....brought it back again and they said 12v battery was showing as having a fault. Had it replaced by them and next day it died again.

Brought it back to them in mid Dec and they said they had to keep it (during Christmas) to run tests. Was told on Jan 7th that body control unit would need to be replaced (this was advice from Kia Ireland) and then told it would be Feb 3rd when this will arrive.

I've been without the car for over 6 weeks now and been given petrol/manual cars as courtesy cars! My patience is slowly running out and my confidence in the car has diminished considerably! I'm paying over €550 a month on my car loan and now have to pay additional costs for petrol! I wouldn't mind if they gave me an EV as a replacement car.

I just hope that this will fix the issue, as the dealer couldn't confirm if it would actually solve the problems.

graememk wrote: »
    Someones Figured out the different battery heating and cooling status's
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9D7zcL13ag

In the comments looks like they think they might be able to control it via CAN.

Haha, hope they put a limit on how hot it gets! :D

• Advertisement

chewed wrote: »
    Having a really bad experience with my eNiro over past month.
    12v battery kept dying on me. Had to call AA out 5 times over Nov/Dec to top me up. Brought it Kia dealer and they said nothing wrong. Died again a few days later....brought it back again and they said 12v battery was showing as having a fault. Had it replaced by them and next day it died again.

Brought it back to them in mid Dec and they said they had to keep it (during Christmas) to run tests. Was told on Jan 7th that body control unit would need to be replaced (this was advice from Kia Ireland) and then told it would be Feb 3rd when this will arrive.

I've been without the car for over 6 weeks now and been given petrol/manual cars as courtesy cars! My patience is slowly running out and my confidence in the car has diminished considerably! I'm paying over €550 a month on my car loan and now have to pay additional costs for petrol! I wouldn't mind if they gave me an EV as a replacement car.

I just hope that this will fix the issue, as the dealer couldn't confirm if it would actually solve the problems.

It's amazing, in Ireland you can return for a refund pretty much anything if it's defective except a car.

I'd be demanding compensation, that is completely unacceptable being without the car for so long and getting a ICE, check if you're entitled to an EV, call up Kia Ireland directly.

There's absolutely no way I would tolerate this for so long, tell them you want another car if this happens again end of.

Keep a record of all communication, try not to contact by phone, get everything in email.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭chewed

It's amazing, in Ireland you can return for a refund pretty much anything if it's defective except a car.

I'd be demanding compensation, that is completely unacceptable being without the car for so long and getting a ICE, check if you're entitled to an EV, call up Kia Ireland directly.

There's absolutely no way I would tolerate this for so long, tell them you want another car if this happens again end of.

Keep a record of all communication, try not to contact by phone, get everything in email.

Yes, I have been in touch, but it's the same answer....don't worry, you're covered under the 7 year warranty and we'll always give you a replacement car while we fix your own car.

If it does happen again, I will definitely be escalating this and demand a new replacement car or full refund.

chewed wrote: »
    Yes, I have been in touch, but it's the same answer....don't worry, you're covered under the 7 year warranty and we'll always give you a replacement car while we fix your own car.

If it does happen again, I will definitely be escalating this and demand a new replacement car or full refund.

I don't think you'll get a refund, you can get a refund only within 2 weeks on the likes of consumer electronics and other stuff but I don't know if this even applies to cars and you're well past that point.

Is this a common issue with the E-Niro ?

I can only imagine your frustration it must be really irritating at this point, can't believe it's still going on!

I'd tell them you want compensation for paying for a car you haven't been driving but then they'll tell you you had a loaner car.

Ask them straight out what's your rights in relation to getting another car in replacement for this one, I'm curious to know.

There's no way I'd be accepting an ICE as replacement while yours is in for repair no matter how low stock is that's their problem, they don't want you running up kms on a new car, again find out from Kia Ireland directly if you're entitled to an EV while yours is in for repair and if that's the case I'd be looking for compensation.

Unfortunately you can't just leave the car there and stop payments then the finance company will be after you, it's really difficult for consumers in Ireland in cases like this, I would seek legal advice but then if they receive any contact legally they'll probably do everything in their power to p1ss you off.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,136 ✭✭✭championc

The best way to claim is via the small claims court I think

championc wrote: »
    The best way to claim is via the small claims court I think

That would take a long time though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭icom

didnt even bat an eyelid when i rocked up with 20k on the clock.. i dont think ive ever been in on time for a service. But with ICE cars id be keeping an eye on the usuals anyway. next service 35k! With an EV well, there aint much to check.

*its 75.99 on the itemised bill to be exact :P

Took nearly 3 hrs as they done the software update. But not the purple head unit one.

The offpeak times had been reset, but all the versions on the head unit was the same :shrug:

First service completed 99 euro, must be a special rate for Inishowen people !

Got wheels rotated, Map/Head Unit updated and they cleaned corrosion off the rear brake discs, checked levels, a wash and a test drive !

Tried to haggle, but they wouldn't shift :)

A brand new eNiro sitting outside ready for collection tomorrow (Runway Red)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

icom wrote: »
    First service completed 99 euro, must be a special rate for Inishowen people !

Got wheels rotated, Map/Head Unit updated and they cleaned corrosion off the rear brake discs, checked levels, a wash and a test drive !

Tried to haggle, but they wouldn't shift :)

A brand new eNiro sitting outside ready for collection tomorrow (Runway Red)

did you get the purple update?

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭icom

Nope, have a first edition, so don't think it's possible. Looks a bit more grey to be honest, the split screen (Zoomed) coming up to junctions is nice.
    2021 maps.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭cluaindiuic

I had a service there recently too.

I'd been having issues with bluetooth remembering phones so I asked to them to make sure that they fully updated the media unit.

I had seen that the purple version was available but when I got the car back I didn't have that version. I'm not fully convinced they updated anything!
    I've yet to see any bluetooth errors though.

Is that purple version available to us yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭darrenheaphy

.... what's the purple update?

Is that purple version available to us yet?

You can install it yourself. There's a thread on the SpeakEV forum, which has a link too in one of the posts, to download the full upgrade

Oh to have the various engineering codes. There must be codes to allow access to do system resets and change some deep settings. For instance, in Ireland, we don't have DAB but in the UK they do. I'm sure they are all the same unit, so it must be that there is an Engineering menu where stuff can really be changed.

https://www.speakev.com/threads/e-niro-4-latest-software-firmware-maps.155410/page-3#post-2938301[url][/url]

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Mine has DAB. Maybe yours is the 2019 model?

JohnC. wrote: »
    Mine has DAB. Maybe yours is the 2019 model?

No, I have an MY20. What station is on DAB ? And how do you click between DAB and FM ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭JohnC.

DAB and FM work together, there's no switching between them. The display will show if the station is tuned using DAB or FM.

We don't have widespread DAB in this country. I'm not sure where you are, but perhaps you are in an area without it. IIRC, it's available around Dublin, Cork and Limerick. I sometimes pick up a load of DAB stations in the Waterford/south Kilkenny area, but I think that's run unofficially by someone and isn't always available.

What official coverage there is are still technically trials, some of which have come and gone and some of the remaining ones are intended to shut down. I think RTE were supposed to shut theirs last year, but postponed it.

DAB doesn't really seem to have a future here.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

JohnC. wrote: »
    DAB and FM work together, there's no switching between them. The display will show if the station is tuned using DAB or FM.

We don't have widespread DAB in this country. I'm not sure where you are, but perhaps you are in an area without it. IIRC, it's available around Dublin, Cork and Limerick. I sometimes pick up a load of DAB stations in the Waterford/south Kilkenny area, but I think that's run unofficially by someone and isn't always available.

What official coverage there is are still technically trials, some of which have come and gone and some of the remaining ones are intended to shut down. I think RTE were supposed to shut theirs last year, but postponed it.

DAB doesn't really seem to have a future here.
    Nice to have it if traveling (remember that?!) to other countries that do have it though.

I don't have it on my early MY20 PHEV, but then I don't have UVO either.

I found a way of getting into engineering mode on the current version of the head unit, but there's very little there, certainly nothing that looks like any kind of configuration options.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭xboxdad

Alun wrote: »
    Nice to have it if traveling (remember that?!) to other countries that do have it though.

I don't have it on my early MY20 PHEV, but then I don't have UVO either.

I found a way of getting into engineering mode on the current version of the head unit, but there's very little there, certainly nothing that looks like any kind of configuration options.

I've traveled through approx 10 countries last summer with my MY20, but DAB wasn't too reliable. The quality is great of course as it's digital. However, it cuts out completely way too often. When a huge truck passes on your left on the motorway, it tends to cut out - complete silence for seconds. ...and there are tons of trucks everywhere on motorways. I would have preferred analog channels so that I get slightly worse quality temporarily instead of a gap in the sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Silent Running

xboxdad wrote: »
    I've traveled through approx 10 countries last summer with my MY20, but DAB wasn't too reliable. The quality is great of course as it's digital. However, it cuts out completely way too often. When a huge truck passes on your left on the motorway, it tends to cut out - complete silence for seconds. ...and there are tons of trucks everywhere on motorways. I would have preferred analog channels so that I get slightly worse quality temporarily instead of a gap in the sound.

Must be a bitch if you enjoy singing along with songs. Suddenly it's just you...... :D

Must be a bitch if you enjoy singing along with songs. Suddenly it's just you...... :D

Imagine the amount of great classic Italian songs they put on in Italy! Lasciatemi Cantare and all.. I really didn't want gaps there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,379 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Maybe I've been jaded by Irish radio, but I personally view a non functional radio as a selling point

As long as it has some sort of smartphone connection, I'm happy

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

Maybe I've been jaded by Irish radio, but I personally view a non functional radio as a selling point

As long as it has some sort of smartphone connection, I'm happy

My co-pilot (missus) likes the radio, particularly talk radio. But when I'm alone in the car it's FLAC music from USB, played at a high volume. :cool:

My co-pilot (missus) likes the radio, particularly talk radio. But when I'm alone in the car it's FLAC music from USB, played at a high volume. :cool:

FLAC, in the car ? you wouldn't notice the difference, just wasting space lol. :D

FLAC, in the car ? you wouldn't notice the difference, just wasting space lol. :D

When you say "you" do you mean to say "I"?

When you're driving 700km a day, it's great to have the variety/entertainment factor of tuning into local radio stations of various countries in my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,379 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

That's the selling point of a broken radio, she can't listen to it when I'm driving :D

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Depends on the car, I certainly can in the Tesla

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

Advertisement