Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Kia Niro EV

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭xboxdad

Do dealers respect the free map updates "promise" KIA makes on their web site, any experience with that?

https://www.kia.com/ie/new-cars/e-niro/discover/
    7-year map update

Each new Kia vehicle that's factory-fitted with a navigation device is entitled to six free annual map updates.6 A unique offer that ensures your navigation system is always up-to-date.
    ...but they it lead to this next page which says something different:

https://www.kia.com/ie/service/mobility/map-updates/
    "each new Kia factory-fitted with an LG navigation device is entitled to six free annual map updates*"
    • So does it need to be an LG device or not?
    • Does the e-Niro have an LG device?
    • Does the "purple update" qualify as a map update? I don't think they can possibly update the map without applying the rest of the update.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

xboxdad wrote: »
    "each new Kia factory-fitted with an LG navigation device is entitled to six free annual map updates*"
    • So does it need to be an LG device or not?
    • Does the e-Niro have an LG device?
    • Does the "purple update" qualify as a map update? I don't think they can possibly update the map without applying the rest of the update.
    All the recent Kia models have head units made by LG, including the e-Niro. The updates for the 10.25" "wide" versions include the maps and software combined, you can't update the one without the other.

Alun wrote: »
    All the recent Kia models have head units made by LG, including the e-Niro. The updates for the 10.25" "wide" versions include the maps and software combined, you can't update the one without the other.

Thank you. So based on this the 7 year map update "promise" should apply.

Can anyone here confirm dealers know about this and don't BS themselves out of the responsibility?

Can anyone here confirm dealers know about this and don't BS themselves out of the responsibility?
    I've no direct experience of it myself, but based on what I've read on various Kia forums, FB groups etc. all over the world, it's very hit and miss. Some will swear blind you have the latest version when you clearly haven't, and others make such a song and dance about it as if it was something akin to open heart surgery they're being asked to perform, that many have simply resorted to DIY'ing it from "unofficial" sources.

Other dealers seem much more clued up on it.

In Korea, US, Canada, Australia, New Zealand and Middle East you can currently do it all completely legally yourself via update.kia.com, but despite early indications that it would become available in Europe, that hasn't (yet) materialized. Hopefully it will soon though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭chewed

I've no direct experience of it myself, but based on what I've read on various Kia forums, FB groups etc. all over the world, it's very hit and miss. Some will swear blind you have the latest version when you clearly haven't, and others make such a song and dance about it as if it was something akin to open heart surgery they're being asked to perform, that many have simply resorted to DIY'ing it from "unofficial" sources.

In Korea, US, Canada, Australia, New Zealand and Middle East you can currently do it all completely legally yourself via update.kia.com, but despite early indications that it would become available in Europe, that hasn't (yet) materialized. Hopefully it will soon though.

Couldn't agree more! This is also my experience from driving a Kia for last 10 years. Only one dealership (Nice Polish guy) seemed to be clued in as to updating maps and software for me. I may as well be speaking Swahili to the other dealers when I enquired about updates.

• Advertisement

chewed wrote: »
    Couldn't agree more! This is also my experience from driving a Kia for last 10 years. Only one dealership (Nice Polish guy) seemed to be clued in as to updating maps and software for me. I may as well be speaking Swahili to the other dealers when I enquired about updates.

Yeah, I'm reading those same forums myself :)
    ...but the ones I read are UK/US based predominantly and I'm not aware of such a clear statement posted on the UK/US KIA web sites about free updates (didn't check either). Whereas here it's quite black&white.

In any case, the latest software now is freakin' purple :) ...so it's extremely easy to tell if it's been updated or not. I'm not very interested getting into a BS-ing contest with any dealer in any case.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭eagerv

I have no experience with Kia, but a little with Hyundai. Trying to get them to do updates is difficult, to put it mildly..
    They appear to want you to wait until your yearly "Service", I suppose it's one way of jusifying their possibly 3 figure sum.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Silent Running

eagerv wrote: »
    I have no experience with Kia, but a little with Hyundai. Trying to get them to do updates is difficult, to put it mildly..
    They appear to want you to wait until your yearly "Service", I suppose it's one way of jusifying their possibly 3 figure sum.:confused:

Both Hyundai and Kia came up with all sorts of soft excuses as to why they couldn't update the software and maps, so on both cars, I did it myself.

It's not like it's difficult or anything. The hardest part is finding the files online.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,136 ✭✭✭championc

I think if you look at the small print, while it says that you are entitled to the free updates, you may be charged by the dearer for their time in performing this task

slave1 wrote: »
    Depends on the car, I certainly can in the Tesla

There's no way you could tell the difference between MP3 @ 320 Kbps and FLAC in a car.

With a proper Valve amplifier and Speakers, yeah I'll grant you but in a car ?

If you haven't already you really should get a valve amplifier!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,518 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

It's not like it's difficult or anything. The hardest part is finding the files online.
    USB stick-based upgrades only work on the pre 2020 models (pre 10 5" screen), right?

USB stick-based upgrades only work on the pre 2020 models (pre 10 5" screen), right?

Other way around - MY19's are on SD Card and MY20's are via USB

championc wrote: »
    Other way around - MY19's are on SD Card and MY20's are via USB
    Yes, on the older models it's a two step process. You have to put the software update on a separate SD card and update the software, and then also update the maps on the SD card that stays in the head unit. Generally the new software will only work with the new maps and vice versa, so this is really the only thing that can potentially go wrong. On the MY20 models, maps and software are combined, so pretty foolproof.

I read on one foreign forum, an Italian one I think, that one dealer was complaining about how long it took to do the update, but it turned out he was downloading everything from scratch every time rather than doing it once and keeping a set of SD cards and USB sticks ready.

I just noticed on the Kia site that while the Niro EV has 7 years 150 K Kms warranty the battery is only 2 years ? what's that all about seems very low to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭JohnC.

I just noticed on the Kia site that while the Niro EV has 7 years 150 K Kms warranty the battery is only 2 years ? what's that all about seems very low to be honest.

That refers to the 12v battery, not the main one.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

12v battery in any car is a "consumable" I dont think any 12v battery is warrantied by anyone more than 2 years.

This does not excuse the battery drain issues that people are having.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Busman Paddy Lasty

12V battery is covered for 2 years. The very last paragraph in the t&c's says Li-on polymer battery is covered to a minimum capacity for 84 months or 150,000 kms.

According to the brochure it mentions lane follow assist, is that the one that's as good as in the E-Soul or is the e-soul better, it was impressive when I drove the E-soul but the e-niro sounds like ping pong only ?

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Busman Paddy Lasty

Never inside an e soul but have noted some eNiro owners turning off the lane keep thing as it can be jerky on some roads. Don't know the difference between LKA, LKAS and LFA so must search it now. Not even sure which lane keep eNiro has tbh.

According to the brochure it mentions lane follow assist, is that the one that's as good as in the E-Soul or is the e-soul better, it was impressive when I drove the E-soul but the e-niro sounds like ping pong only ?

I think its the same as the e-soul, When your in cruise control it will practically drive the car.

• Advertisement

Sounds like it might be as good as the E-soul.

I wanted a drive in the E-Niro last year but the local Carlow dealer said that I drove the E-soul and they're basically the same so wasn't willing to let me drive the E-Niro, quite shocking really from a local dealer.

I might call them up again.

I think they’re basically the same car in different clothes. I find the lane following great anyway.

Never inside an e soul but have noted some eNiro owners turning off the lane keep thing as it can be jerky on some roads. Don't know the difference between LKA, LKAS and LFA so must search it now. Not even sure which lane keep eNiro has tbh.

Its a bit techy on narrow country roads, - ones that are just about wide enough for a centre line but still on the narrow side.

If theres no lines, it doesnt do anything, maybe beep a bit if your very close to the edge of the tar. Other half always turns it off along with the VESS and its spaceships sounds.

graememk wrote: »
    Its a bit techy on narrow country roads, - ones that are just about wide enough for a centre line but still on the narrow side.

If theres no lines, it doesnt do anything, maybe beep a bit if your very close to the edge of the tar. Other half always turns it off along with the VESS and its spaceships sounds.

Most of my will 140-200 Km commute ( depending on site ) will be motorway.

Most of my will 140-200 Km commute ( depending on site ) will be motorway.

On good roads my only complaint is that I have to keep my hands on the wheel :P.

Been a while since i was near a motorway though.

Ours in the summer sat at 420km - done a run to Belfast and back (from donegal) about 340 round trip and i think we ended up with 20% left and still had 80km on the GOM.

Currently it is sitting at 380ish I think on a full charge.

Oh have put all season tyres on ours, Handles the snow v well. - need to stick the part worn primacy 3 tyres up on done deal.

I just charged mine to 100% and it read 380km range

What range are ye lads getting at 120 Km/h ?

I think I read a rumour that there'll be a refresh coming for the E-Niro this year ?

Have to admit that the thoughts of going back to FWD EV aren't appealing after experiencing so much wheel spin in the Kona, though admittedly it didn't seem to be as bad in the E-Soul, could have been different tyres which might also explain the horrible road noise in the Kona while the E-Soul was much quieter.

I was just thinking out loud and exploring my options, I think at 30-35K Kms a year spending 50K on a M3 would be mad and I'm not convinced with the build quality, maybe newer ones are better but still.

An id.3 is ok and all that but the inside is not so nice and I find the interior of the E-Niro and E-Soul nicer and there are buttons, good O'l buttons.

Id.3 has faster DC charging though and RWD but you have to go to the tech trim to get decent kit and the traffic assist that thing that steers the car which is standard on the Korean cars and the id.3 Tech costs something like 44K and another 4 or 5 K and you have a Model 3 which is much faster and charges faster.

VW are offering 1.5% interest though Tesla something like 4.5% and last time I checked they didn't offer PCP which I suppose in Reality isn't very attractive with my mileage anyway, don't know what the offer is on the E-Niro.

I've around 14K to clear the loan on the i3 I refinanced the balloon while I think what I'm going to do with it, Relying on the Rex 5 days a week for up to 50 Kms isn't appealing, sure I love the Rex but it was only ever used for long trips and sometimes when I put the boot down in bad weather in Winter for my commute.

If the new site I'm going to has charging then I will probably just keep the i3.

Not sure if there’s technically a refresh of the eNiro itself, but I think their new platform should start being released later this year. I don’t know if there will be a new eNiro on that platform of if they move to all new models.

JohnC. wrote: »
    Not sure if there’s technically a refresh of the eNiro itself, but I think their new platform should start being released later this year. I don’t know if there will be a new eNiro on that platform of if they move to all new models.

I think if anything it will just be a refresh same as for 2020, the larger screen, 11Kw AC charger etc. Would be good if they brought the charging to 100 Kw and improved the ability to heat the battery prior to fast charging or give the option like in the teslas.

• Advertisement

Only wheel spin we've had has been when there was ice on the road, but that could be down to different drivers.

Cant comment on the motorway range, been that long since I was near one, Not many up my way :P

Rates from kia is 3.9% for either HP or pcp - imo could be better, as they are giving 0% on the PHEV and other cars.

Some rumours of a refresh, Kona just had one, wouldnt be surprised if the niro got one too in the next year or so.

Advertisement