Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Kia Niro EV

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Busman Paddy Lasty

Did 40km on motorway at 126kph last week and dash said 19kWh/100km. 300km allowing for a safety buffer is doable.

Possibly ask dealer if there'll be a Kia version of new Ioniq range coming, think they're RWD. If Kia keep buttons and the circular 'gear' selector that's reason enough to buy one :D

Did 40km on motorway at 126kph last week and dash said 19kWh/100km. 300km allowing for a safety buffer is doable.

Possibly ask dealer if there'll be a Kia version of new Ioniq range coming, think they're RWD. If Kia keep buttons and the circular 'gear' selector that's reason enough to buy one :D

Yeah one thing turning me off the id.3 is the screens and haptic buttons for everything and I'm really not a fan of touch screens in a car. The BMW i3 system is just amazing, so easy to use without reaching or touching a screen, on a bumpy road tough screens are annoying + the VW software isn't great, it will get better sure. We're analogue beings that are sensitive to touch so buttons work best for me, VW just wanted to be cool, but I prefer practicality over cool.

Fast charging ? well I know the id.3 will have faster charging but to be honest if we're going on very long trips I think I'll just take the Outlander Diesel to avoid all the hassle. The missus would batter me if we got to a charger and there was 1-3 cars waiting, that could take potentially 2-3 hrs before I even got to charge and then the kids would be going mental too and it's just not worth it.

The E-niro has all the range for my commuting needs even at 120-130 Km/h.

E-niro has all the kit I really need and the most important now for me is the LKA or whatever they call it to make the endless motorway commuting more bearable.

Must see if the local dealer will give me a test drive, don't fancy Halogen bulbs, not even HID that's a joke.

Right, test drive arranged for Saturday 12 Pm Carlow, I only want a short enough spin down the M9 and back to test out the LKA mostly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,136 ✭✭✭championc

People bang on about fast charging but I'm sure that 95% of people will charge on home chargers overnight, and the Irish 9hr night rate window is wide enough to fully charge an e-Niro.

I can't help with economy details as I honestly don't bother driving over 100kmph. And the only wheelspin that I have encountered is pulling out onto a wet main road from an inclined side road - so you might spin the wheels on an ICE too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,379 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

There is, called the Kia CV

Here's an artist's impression of what it'll look like :D

541703.jpg

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Silent Running

Right, test drive arranged for Saturday 12 Pm Carlow, I only want a short enough spin down the M9 and back to test out the LKA mostly.

Just to make sure you get the full experience... the LKA is crap! The LFA is brilliant, and I use it a LOT! The LKA can be turned off, but the little tugs on the steering don't bother me, so I leave it on.

The LFA is only active when you have the adaptive cruise enabled and the speed set.

When I'm on the motorway, I set the ACC and put my feet on the floor and rest my hands on my legs. After a while the car will beep and give a visual warning on the dash screen to tell you to keep your hands on the wheel. You can ignore the first one. The second longer set of beeps need an input or the car will disable ACC. I just lift my right thumb and flick the wheel with it. This resets the process, then rinse and repeat. I've covered many thousands of motorway kilometres in this way.

Just be ready to intervene if necessary.

Edit to add. If it's buttons you want, you've come to the right place.

There is, called the Kia CV

Here's an artist's impression of what it'll look like :D

541703.jpg

Sure retro is cool now isn't it! :) Hopefully the actual model name will be better.

^M_L the Smart Cruise Control is really good and can be set very easily from the steering wheel controls. It may try and throw you off motorway at every exit but it's just checking that you're paying attention :)

Sure retro is cool now isn't it! :) Hopefully the actual model name will be better.

I think the CV name is here to stay, we'll have to wait and see though :(

Didn't the 2CV have a removable rear bench you could use for roadside picnics? Now that's something that should make a comeback :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Yeah one thing turning me off the id.3 is the screens and haptic buttons for everything and I'm really not a fan of touch screens in a car....

The buttons on the steering wheel of the ID.3 are real buttons and you can control the radio and ACC etc from there.

A/c control is via the touch screen but there are also separate "buttons" on the dash that are within easy reach without fiddling with the infotainment. Those particular buttons are not real buttons (touch buttons) but they work fine and deal with the issue of having to mess with a touch screen to change temp while driving.

Everything else is in the infotainment, but how much button pressing do you really need to do beyond radio and a/c control while driving?

KCross wrote: »
    The buttons on the steering wheel of the ID.3 are real buttons and you can control the radio and ACC etc from there.

A/c control is via the touch screen but there are also separate "buttons" on the dash that are within easy reach without fiddling with the infotainment. Those particular buttons are not real buttons (touch buttons) but they work fine and deal with the issue of having to mess with a touch screen to change temp while driving.

Everything else is in the infotainment, but how much button pressing do you really need to do beyond radio and a/c control while driving?

Another thing about the ID.3/4 is that when the software is past the 2.1 rollout, the speech recognition should ramp up to normal conversation recognition. This means that almost all functions will be available via voice command.... according to VW. :P

• Advertisement

Another thing about the ID.3/4 is that when the software is past the 2.1 rollout, the speech recognition should ramp up to normal conversation recognition. This means that almost all functions will be available via voice command.... according to VW. :P

I've barely even tried VW's voice recognition apart from the obligatory "Hello ID, my as5 is cold" and then she turns on the appropriate seat heater! :D

Personally, I'd prefer a button for the most important tasks (radio, a/c and acc). I can have my hand out and the button pressed while voice recognition is still activating. Each to their own on that though.

I don't be messing a lot when driving but the i3 makes it really easy.

And I still don't like that id.3 interior. :D

And I still don't like that id.3 interior. :D

I cant do anything about your taste! :)

Its not that bad though. Like alot of stuff on the internet it got over-hyped in my opinion. Yea, it could have been better but its not rubbish. The seats are comfy and thats alot more important than whether the door cards are plastic or soft material.

If its not for you then thats fair enough though.

I cant do anything about your taste! :)

Its not that bad though. Like alot of stuff on the internet it got over-hyped in my opinion. Yea, it could have been better but its not rubbish. The seats are comfy and thats alot more important than whether the door cards are plastic or soft material.

If its not for you then thats fair enough though.

I do like the faster charging of the id3 but the same old Coldgating is allowed because engineers can't be arsed adding an option for someone to preheat the battery before fast charging, Tesla can and seemingly all the battery heater is there for just like the i3, Kona, E-Niro and E-Soul and possibly others is to allow max regen and acceleration and fast charging isn't even in the thoughts of engineers when it comes to fast charging.

But seriously, the interior isn't the nicest at all, the 1.5% interest. IF this new site has work charging I'll probably just keep the i3.

The real issue with the id.3 is having to spend 44-45K to get the traffic assist and I'm not going to do that when a M3 is going to cost 4-5K more and then I'm after spending way too much.

The Niro gives you all that for 38-39K

I do like the faster charging of the id3 but the same old Coldgating is allowed because engineers can't be arsed adding an option for someone to preheat the battery before fast charging, Tesla can and seemingly all the battery heater is there for just like the i3, Kona, E-Niro and E-Soul and possibly others is to allow max regen and acceleration and fast charging isn't even in the thoughts of engineers when it comes to fast charging.

But seriously, the interior isn't the nicest at all, the 1.5% interest. IF this new site has work charging I'll probably just keep the i3.

The real issue with the id.3 is having to spend 44-45K to get the traffic assist and I'm not going to do that when a M3 is going to cost 4-5K more and then I'm after spending way too much.

The Niro gives you all that for 38-39K

Dunno where you're getting that from. My Tour with all the toys and the 77kWh battery is only 41k.

I do like the faster charging of the id3 but the same old Coldgating is allowed because engineers can't be arsed adding an option for someone to preheat the battery before fast charging,

We are derailing a Niro thread but that isnt an issue for ID.3 owners in Ireland and there is a s/w update coming around it too.
    The real issue with the id.3 is having to spend 44-45K to get the traffic assist...

Wait for series production and order it on a lower trim level. Is lane following a must have for you? Its important but it wouldnt be in the first 5 must-haves for me. Again, each to their own.

The basic active cruise and LKAS work fine but it will ping-ping on the lines. It will bring the car to a stop and take off again without interaction in heavy traffic... it has a limit on the amount of time you can stay stopped though... not sure how many seconds it is before it disengages.

Its hard to keep up with your list of must-haves and mind changes! :)

I think Mad_lad needs someone to talk him out of buying a Model 3 every day :D

We are derailing a Niro thread but that isnt an issue for ID.3 owners in Ireland and there is a s/w update coming around it too.

Wait for series production and order it on a lower trim level. Is lane following a must have for you? Its important but it wouldnt be in the first 5 must-haves for me. Again, each to their own.

The basic active cruise and LKAS work fine but it will ping-ping on the lines. It will bring the car to a stop and take off again without interaction in heavy traffic... it has a limit on the amount of time you can stay stopped though... not sure how many seconds it is before it disengages.

Yes auto steer LKA etc whatever it's called is essential for me doing so many motorway miles I want it to be as relaxing as possible.

No keeping up needed, I still want my next ev to have a rex lol.

Only thing has changed for me is job + location and possibly traveling between different sites in 1 day.

I think Mad_lad needs someone to talk him out of buying a Model 3 every day :D

The price + my mileage has talked me out of it already. :D

Dunno where you're getting that from. My Tour with all the toys and the 77kWh battery is only 41k.

You're Correct, I must have been looking at the id.4...... :D

4 seater though ? I already have 4 seater not sure I'd go to another, the extra space might be handy. We do manage though with the 1 car seat and 1 booster soon to be 2 boosters but still tight in most cars with 2 boosters.

That's got me thinking though that's pretty good value for 77 Kwh, what's usable out of that ?

Faster charging too and yes it has travel assist or whatever they call it.

hmmmmmmm

• Advertisement

4 seater though ? I already have 4 seater not sure I'd go to another, the extra space might be handy. We do manage though with the 1 car seat and 1 booster soon to be 2 boosters but still tight in most cars with 2 boosters.

That's got me thinking though that's pretty good value for 77 Kwh, what's usable out of that ?

hmmmmmmm

Yeah, but the 2 main seats have massage function. :D

The 77kWh is usable. The total battery size is something like 82 or 83 kWh.

There would be some range out of that.

There would be some range out of that.

I'd say you can get 350km easy in the depths of winter

Regarding the booster seats, I remember the back seats in the ID.3 were pretty big, could sit an adult behind an adult and have legroom to spare

I don't know the width, but it looked bigger than my Leaf and that fits 2 child seats without any issues

Lacking the middle seat does mean you can't squeeze one of the parents in the back to keep the kids from annoying the driver

However with travel assist, it means you're less likely to crash the car when breaking up a fight in the back seats

I'd say you can get 350km easy in the depths of winter

Regarding the booster seats, I remember the back seats in the ID.3 were pretty big, could sit an adult behind an adult and have legroom to spare

I don't know the width, but it looked bigger than my Leaf and that fits 2 child seats without any issues

Lacking the middle seat does mean you can't squeeze one of the parents in the back to keep the kids from annoying the driver

However with travel assist, it means you're less likely to crash the car when breaking up a fight in the back seats

Thankfully, I'm well past all of that stuff. :D

hmmmmmmm

Ah but the interior plastics.,cant be having that... back to the Niro with you! (just to keep the thread on topic like!)

Ah but the interior plastics.,cant be having that... back to the Niro with you! (just to keep the thread on topic like!)

Yeah gammy interior lol.

Oh yes, the buttons, happy now ? :D

Yeah gammy interior lol.

Oh yes, the buttons, happy now ? :D

Maybe get the 77kWh version. With both booster seats in, there won't be room for backseat modding :eek:

Back to eNiro, the FWD could be a deal breaker so genuinely interested here to get a review.

Maybe get the 77kWh version. With both booster seats in, there won't be room for backseat modding :eek:

Back to eNiro, the FWD could be a deal breaker so genuinely interested here to get a review.

One of the Niro's party tricks is overtaking. From, say, 50 to 120 and beyond is surprisingly fast, with no wheelspin.

I have gone past the grip level of the e-Niro from a standing start. One notable occasion was coming from a small side road on to a busy, wet and fast N road. I goosed it harder than I should have and the driver side front wheel lost grip, bringing on the ESC. But once I got the car straight on the N road it just took off as normal.

Bottom line is: you can spin the front wheels if you want to and you can control them if you want to as well. You can feel the grip starting to fail and easing back on the throttle sorts it right out.

One of the Niro's party tricks is overtaking. From, say, 50 to 120 and beyond is surprisingly fast, with no wheelspin.

I have gone past the grip level of the e-Niro from a standing start. One notable occasion was coming from a small side road on to a busy, wet and fast N road. I goosed it harder than I should have and the driver side front wheel lost grip, bringing on the ESC. But once I got the car straight on the N road it just took off as normal.

Bottom line is: you can spin the front wheels if you want to and you can control them if you want to as well. You can feel the grip starting to fail and easing back on the throttle sorts it right out.

100% agree and have got it now too. Normal mode with low regen and she moves off nice and easy. For rallying off the line, calm progressive throttle right on grip limit is always the quickest.

Spent most of my days on the bus so I wouldn't have had the skill to do that in a short time like a test drive. Never driven a RWD so more of a general interest than eNiro vs RWD.

• Advertisement

Indeed the FWD could be the deal breaker, RWD is just the way it should be for electrics with half decent power.

When I changed to the Continental Eco Contact 6 Tyres I notices a good difference in wet grip.

Advertisement