Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Kia Niro EV

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16 ClareGirl70

stiofan85 wrote: »
    Joined the E Niro club today. Very happy. Now to get a charger. Mad to think I'll never own a ICE car ever again. Happy days.

The camera thing is crazy though - noticed it right away, instantly dirty after driving it around the block.

Congrats and welcome to the eNiro club. I bought mine in July and am very happy with it.
    Regarding a home charger, I also got the EO Mini (non-smart) tethered from Electric Ireland and it’s perfect. The charging schedule can be set from the car or UVO app. I’m so glad that I went with the tethered as there have been lots of wet mornings that I’ve been happy to only have to plug out and stick cable back in the unit rather than having to deal with rolling up a wet and mucky cable to put back in the boot.
    I have 8200 kms done so far and have yet to use a public charger. I’ve done Ennis-Cork-Ennis a number of times since September and can comfortably complete round trip on single full charge.
    I drive it as I drove my diesel......cruise control set to max allowable speed on motorways/dual carriageways; heat/ac always on at ‘auto’ setting and temp set to 22C. I had the drive mode set at Eco but in last 2 month have switched to Normal and if anything my average consumption has improved.
    Hope you enjoy your new EV.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,136 ✭✭✭championc

Gael23 wrote: »
    Is there still an issue with supply of these?

Don't think there ever was as such. If you order one, the order is fulfilled in pretty much exactly as when they say it will.

However, there is a shortage of "spares". So testers for test drives are very limited. It also seems strange that that Kia Ireland aren't exactly hugely pushing the e-Niro, and are more interested in pushing the PHEV and Hybrid. But there's possibly more initial profit and certainly more revenue stream down the line too, with them still having an ICE onboard

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭ewj1978

Looking at the option of getting an 192 e niro.
    Anything I should look out for? Any niggles, things that should have been fixed?

ewj1978 wrote: »
    Anything I should look out for? Any niggles, things that should have been fixed?

Nothing at all, but a 192 is the MY19 with the smaller infotainment screen and the 7kW charger. The MY20 large screens with the 11kW charger arrived in March 2020. So maybe use these points to beat the price down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭peposhi

ewj1978 wrote: »
    Also no UVO in my2019?

• Advertisement

championc wrote: »
    Don't think there ever was as such. If you order one, the order is fulfilled in pretty much exactly as when they say it will.

However, there is a shortage of "spares". So testers for test drives are very limited. It also seems strange that that Kia Ireland aren't exactly hugely pushing the e-Niro, and are more interested in pushing the PHEV and Hybrid. But there's possibly more initial profit and certainly more revenue stream down the line too, with them still having an ICE onboard

Yea the E-Niro has the highest interest but I think that's because of demand according to the local dealer, they can get away with it. Where as they might need lower interest to encourage more PHEV sales.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭peposhi

Yea the E-Niro has the highest interest but I think that's because of demand according to the local dealer, they can get away with it. Where as they might need lower interest to encourage more PHEV sales.

Why is that? Kia advertise it as 3.9%?

peposhi wrote: »
    Why is that? Kia advertise it as 3.9%?

Yeah 3.9% is higher than the PHEV and Hybrid, I think the dealer said that they don't need to offer lower interest on the E-Niro because they have no problem selling them where as the PHEV and hybrids probably aren't as sought after.

Yeah 3.9% is higher than the PHEV and Hybrid, I think the dealer said that they don't need to offer lower interest on the E-Niro because they have no problem selling them where as the PHEV and hybrids probably aren't as sought after.

Or or likely they want to wrap people into the great Hybrid con.

One thing that I really love about the e-Niro is the simplicity with which you can fold down the back seats, and also then how flat the whole area then is. Probably the easiest I've ever had.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,379 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Just wondering what people's experience is with Kia fixing any issues under warranty? One of the main attractions is the 7 year warranty, but if they're going to try and argue their way out of every issue then it seems less attractive

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Advertisement

Or or likely they want to wrap people into the great Hybrid con.

One thing that I really love about the e-Niro is the simplicity with which you can fold down the back seats, and also then how flat the whole area then is. Probably the easiest I've ever had.

I do wonder who sets this interest, the finance company ? and if they can get 0% for the hybrid I'm sure they can get it for the BEV it's not like Hyundai have their own bank like VW.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭chewed

Quick update on my Kia woes! Finally got my car back from garage, after over 2 months. They identified the issues with 12v battery drain to the main body control unit which was ordered and replaced. I was told this should resolve all the issues I've been encountering. Took the car for a spin yesterday afternoon and I had forgotten what a joy it is to drive!

This morning, went out to the car and lo and behold, it's completely dead! :(

I'm now at my wits' end with this car!

chewed wrote: »
    Quick update on my Kia woes! Finally got my car back from garage, after over 2 months. They identified the issues with 12v battery drain to the main body control unit which was ordered and replaced. I was told this should resolve all the issues I've been encountering. Took the car for a spin yesterday afternoon and I had forgotten what a joy it is to drive!

I can only imagine your frustration, keep everything documented, email no phone communication where possible and tell them you want a new car, don't threaten legal action until they give you the run-a-round, in fact, don't even mention Solicitor to them at all, then get on to your Solicitor but have all your documentation prepared, print it out and put it in a folder.

Your relationship with this dealer is going to get worse from hear so probably best to try get a new car and if they don't want to then all communication should then be between your solicitor and the garage but be prepared to be without a car for a long time, also ask your Solicitor to contact your finance company and see if you can hold payments until this is resolved but this will probably take a long time.

Unfortunately In Ireland you can have a laptop, washing machine and TV replaced under warranty but a car ? very very difficult.

I can only imagine your frustration, keep everything documented, email no phone communication where possible and tell them you want a new car, don't threaten legal action until they give you the run-a-round, in fact, don't even mention Solicitor to them at all, then get on to your Solicitor but have all your documentation prepared, print it out and put it in a folder.

Your relationship with this dealer is going to get worse from hear so probably best to try get a new car and if they don't want to then all communication should then be between your solicitor and the garage but be prepared to be without a car for a long time, also ask your Solicitor to contact your finance company and see if you can hold payments until this is resolved but this will probably take a long time.

Unfortunately In Ireland you can have a laptop, washing machine and TV replaced under warranty but a car ? very very difficult.

It sounds like you have 1st hand experience with this!

• Registered Users Posts: 808 ✭✭✭amdaley28

Just wondering what people's experience is with Kia fixing any issues under warranty? One of the main attractions is the 7 year warranty, but if they're going to try and argue their way out of every issue then it seems less attractive

I have a 2015 KIA Soul & recently had a seized rear brake calliper replaced under warranty without any problem.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

On our previous sportage only thing went wrong was the retraction on the seatbelt wasn't working right. Just replaced it.

On the e niro the button on the door handle on the passenger side stopped working. They just sorted it. I think they replaced the handle.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭icom

Been driving Kia since 2011(2 x Sportage and now eNiro), and to be honest not a lot has gone wrong, but when it does, it's fixed under warranty and a courtesy car provided on each occasion. Customer service is second to none. That's the main reason I went for the eNiro, the peace of mind having the 7 year warranty and the good after sales service is another bonus.

It sounds like you have 1st hand experience with this!

Haha no, but it's the way I would do it. :D when you go the legal route you need evidence and records of communication. But when you insist on a new car they might see sense, if not the legal route is your only option from then on, just make sure once the Solicitor is involved that you have no further communication about the matter with the dealer without consulting your solicitor first but all communication should go between your dealer and solicitor from then on anyway.

Good luck and keep us in the loop.

Have they actually simply replaced the 12v battery ?

Have they actually simply replaced the 12v battery ?

1st time I brought it to dealer they tested 12v battery and said there was nothing wrong with it. Told me to keep an eye on it. 5 days later it died again. Brought it to them again and this time they said there was something wrong with it. They replaced the battery and the next day battery died again.

Brought it in again, and after weeks of testing they then said it was the body control unit, but it had to be ordered from Korea! So, 2 months later I still have a dead car sitting in my driveway.

• Advertisement

1st time I brought it to dealer they tested 12v battery and said there was nothing wrong with it. Told me to keep an eye on it. 5 days later it died again. Brought it to them again and this time they said there was something wrong with it. They replaced the battery and the next day battery died again.

Brought it in again, and after weeks of testing they then said it was the body control unit, but it had to be ordered from Korea! So, 2 months later I still have a dead car sitting in my driveway.

Is this a known issue with the e-niro ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,379 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Thanks for the responses regarding the warranty, it's good to know that Kia service is generally good

I'm pushing my wife to look at a Kia, mostly down to the warranty. Her current car is extremely reliable in that it has a major mechanical fault every 2 years, like clockwork

I'm convinced it's partly down to the generally poor quality of the car, and partly down to her driving

So I'm hoping she'll get an E-Niro at some point because it's generally harder to wreck an EV (no clutch to slide or gears to grind) and the Kia warranty should give some reassurance that if something does go wrong there's a chance it'll be covered.

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

Is this a known issue with the e-niro ?

A dying 12v battery - Yes, but it being attributed to anything other than just not having been charged up enough by the car itself - No.

Many people have had issues because of maybe a permanently connected ODBII dongle or a DashCam. The car does seem to maybe have an issue with the way it charges the 12v battery and doesn't keep it topped up. So it basically just tops up as the car is driven. So if you can somehow draw too much from the 12v system than it can put back in, of course it's going to die at some point.

I'd wonder as to where the replacement battery came from. Is it date stamped ? Is it from a reputable make ? Have you ever charged the battery yourself with a know good 12v charger ? The power needed for the 12v system is pretty small.

I have just checked my own 12v system. I simply unlocked the car, popped the bonnet, closed the door and checked the 12v battery. There are two cables out the back side of the + terminal. There is a 3.35A draw off one and little or nothing out of the other, and the battery currently is reading 12.25v. I then turned the car On and the 12v now reads 14.85v and the two + terminal connected cables now read 15.87A and 20.73A draw

I personally changed all light bulbs for LED bulbs - including the headlight bulbs, so I know my general 12v usage would always be quite low (I always drive with daytime headlights on)

I'd wonder as to where the replacement battery came from. Is it date stamped ? Is it from a reputable make ? Have you ever charged the battery yourself with a know good 12v charger ? The power needed for the 12v system is pretty small.

The replacement battery looks to be from Kia. I've attached a photo.

But TBH, I don't really have any interest in what goes on under the bonnet, other than the windscreen water. I paid nearly €40k for a brand new a car, so I don't feel I should have to purchase a 12v charger, just in case it might drain for no reason.

542304.jpg

Bring my Amp draw figures with you to the garage. They can use them to verify too as to what your car "should" be drawing if they don't have a spare car on-hand to compare. I have a claw type meter which you put around an AC or DC live cable and it measures the current

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭jmpie

peposhi wrote: »
    Also no UVO in my2019?

Maybe that PTC heater problem that I’m after seeing in my192 going into the dealer on 16th to get checked out. See my post a few day back with photos. I looked online and there are a good few reports of the PTC heating failing

Another update on my car. Brought it back to garage by tow truck last week (I could almost hear all my neighbours looking out the window saying "I told him not to go near an electric car"!).

They identified issue as boot lock. Ordered a new boot lock, then decided it wasn't boot lock. They did more tests on heated seats, main door locks. Didn't find any problems there. Now Kia want them to test the UVO app as they think that could be the cause of the drain.

I've never heard of the app causing battery drain problems before!

If they don't find issues with app then I'm going to request a full repayment or new replacement car. I can't keep going with them testing every inch of the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Another update on my car. Brought it back to garage by tow truck last week (I could almost hear all my neighbours looking out the window saying "I told him not to go near an electric car"!).

They identified issue as boot lock. Ordered a new boot lock, then decided it wasn't boot lock. They did more tests on heated seats, main door locks. Didn't find any problems there. Now Kia want them to test the UVO app as they think that could be the cause of the drain.

I've never heard of the app causing battery drain problems before!

If they don't find issues with app then I'm going to request a full repayment or new replacement car. I can't keep going with them testing every inch of the car.
    Take a look here ...

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=114704916&postcount=3393

In this case the fault was with the "smart junction box", in other words the fuse box located below the steering wheel to the right. Might be worth mentioning it to your dealer.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Barney224

Is there a difference between UK and Ire model names? I was on the UK site and noticed they use Model 2, 3 and 4+.

I have the MY20 model (purchaed in July 2020), so is that the same as the model 3 or 4+?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭JohnC.

They have different names and different specs. Ours don’t correspond exactly to any of theirs. I think our 2020 model is probably closest to their 4 (from before they introduced 4+) but there are still differences.

Advertisement