Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Kia Niro EV

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Barney224

JohnC. wrote: »
    They have different names and different specs. Ours don’t correspond exactly to any of theirs. I think our 2020 model is probably closest to their 4 (from before they introduced 4+) but there are still differences.

OK thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭chewed

chewed wrote: »
    Another update on my car. Brought it back to garage by tow truck last week (I could almost hear all my neighbours looking out the window saying "I told him not to go near an electric car"!).

They identified issue as boot lock. Ordered a new boot lock, then decided it wasn't boot lock. They did more tests on heated seats, main door locks. Didn't find any problems there. Now Kia want them to test the UVO app as they think that could be the cause of the drain.

I've never heard of the app causing battery drain problems before!

If they don't find issues with app then I'm going to request a full repayment or new replacement car. I can't keep going with them testing every inch of the car.

Another quick update. I've had the car back 5 days now and have had no issues yet. I uninstalled the app on my phone before it was returned. I drove car normally and charged in the driveway. Although I plugged car in on Sunday and the Wallbox charger tripped on the board twice! I'm not sure if this has anything to do with the car.

I re-installed the app on Sunday and have been using it regularly. But car is behaving normally and 12v appears to be fine. It still doesn't fill me with confidence that that issue is not going to recur again. But I'll see how things are in a few more days.

Another quick update. I've had the car back 5 days now and have had no issues yet. I uninstalled the app on my phone before it was returned. I drove car normally and charged in the driveway. Although I plugged car in on Sunday and the Wallbox charger tripped on the board twice! I'm not sure if this has anything to do with the car.

I re-installed the app on Sunday and have been using it regularly. But car is behaving normally and 12v appears to be fine. It still doesn't fill me with confidence that that issue is not going to recur again. But I'll see how things are in a few more days.

Good stuff. Did they say what they replaced this time ?

Good stuff. Did they say what they replaced this time ?

Nothing! They just had it in for more tests. I was then asked to fill out a questionnaire from Kia and advised to uninstall UVO and test it, then reinstall it.

Another update (fresh off the press). I was having a problem with the wallbox charger on Sunday and it kept tripping the RCBO switch on the fuse. I assumed it was a problem with the charger, so the installation company came out a few hours ago, ran some tests, ended up replacing the charger with a new one. They ran more tests and said it was working perfectly and have confirmed the issue is more than likely with the car (possibly onboard charger).

I don't know if I should laugh or cry at this stage. I think I've driven the car less than 100km since early December! :mad:

• Advertisement

Another update (fresh off the press). I was having a problem with the wallbox charger on Sunday and it kept tripping the RCBO switch on the fuse. I assumed it was a problem with the charger, so the installation company came out a few hours ago, ran some tests, ended up replacing the charger with a new one. They ran more tests and said it was working perfectly and have confirmed the issue is more than likely with the car (possibly onboard charger).

I don't know if I should laugh or cry at this stage. I think I've driven the car less than 100km since early December! :mad:

You poor thing- maybe this latest information will lead them towards the solution

All I can say is Jaysus. :(

Ask them for a new car, see what happens, this can't continue. Just keep records of all communication.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Redlim

That's just ridiculous at this stage. Is it Wallbox branded charge point you have or were you just referring to it as a wallbox generically? I ask that because Myenergi highlighted a potentially major safety issue with the e-Niro when using their Zappi charge point. Seems the issue was on Kia's side.

Actually found the link to it: https://myenergi.com/e-niro/
    Seems other branded charge points might be affected also according to the link and a firmware update from Kia fixes it. It's all a bit over my head tbh but might be worth exploring

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Redlim wrote: »
    That's just ridiculous at this stage. Is it Wallbox branded charge point you have or were you just referring to it as a wallbox generically? I ask that because Myenergi highlighted a potentially major safety issue with the e-Niro when using their Zappi charge point. Seems the issue was on Kia's side.

Actually found the link to it: https://myenergi.com/e-niro/
    Seems other branded charge points might be affected also according to the link and a firmware update from Kia fixes it. It's all a bit over my head tbh but might be worth exploring

That was only on three phase zappis. Same on kona.

Something to do with when the zappi was running on single phase from solar and then switching to three phase.

I was getting rcd issues on my charge point, it was the contactor that was faulty. But it was a very intermittent issue until it failed completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,136 ✭✭✭championc

Might be worth just popping the bonnet and jot down the battery voltage, after reading it with a multimeter. Then look at it again in a few days.

• Advertisement

All I can say is Jaysus. :(

Ask them for a new car, see what happens, this can't continue. Just keep records of all communication.

Yes, I have done this via email. I just requested a new replacement car or full refund.

As per the law, the car is "not fit for the purpose intended". I can't even charge it anymore, let alone trust the 12v battery.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,518 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Yes, I have done this via email. I just requested a new replacement car or full refund.

As per the law, the car is "not fit for the purpose intended". I can't even charge it anymore, let alone trust the 12v battery.
    Shocking experience. Fingers crossed it all works out for you. Maybe share your experience on the Irish EV Owners Association page on Facebook, for a little more public sacrutiny.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭postsnthing

Looks like Hyundai are replacing LG Chem batteries due to fire risk. Do KIA and Hyundai share battery tech, will our Niros be potentially recalled too ?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Kia were using SK Innovation cells, so the Niro should be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭social butterfly 2020

Looks like Hyundai are replacing LG Chem batteries due to fire risk. Do KIA and Hyundai share battery tech, will our Niros be potentially recalled too ?

No

So, good news at last!

Kia have offered me a new replacement car, so hopefully should get this in next few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Silent Running

So, good news at last!

Kia have offered me a new replacement car, so hopefully should get this in next few weeks.

Delighted for you. Well done!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

So, good news at last!

Well done, nothing better than keeping your cool, give them fair opportunity to fix their wrongs and if they can't then sticking it to them.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,518 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Delighted for you. Good outcome. Hope the replacement restores your faith in the vehicle (and it is trouble free!).

So, good news at last!

Now that's a result, delighted and best of luck, you had a Friday evening car definitely, next one will be grand! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭peposhi

So, good news at last!

Wow, excellent!
    I’d say KIA had no other good move than replacing it. Good it didn’t take too long to get it sorted!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭KCross

I presume they will still have to fix the old one and will sell it onto someone?

Record the VIN of that car and when we hear about it again we can cross check! ;)

KCross wrote: »
    I presume they will still have to fix the old one and will sell it onto someone?

Record the VIN of that car and when we hear about it again we can cross check! ;)

Good thinking! I do have a copy of the VIN

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭TOLLOT

Expanding boot space in the E Niro
    Apologies if posted already . Worth considering to expand boot space in the e Niro . I gave it a go this morning, adds a nice bit of space .

https://youtu.be/zp0CXdl_PRE

It was impressive to see Bjorn get just over 500 kms on a charge in the E-Niro, below is a video from 2018.

Painful at 93 Km/h and temp was 24 Deg C a temp we will get maybe 2-3 days a year if we're lucky lol.

I can't wait to see the Ioniq 5 in the flesh as get some range tests going to be very expensive I'd say.

If I were to change right now I'd consider the E-Niro because I even think it's got more range than the id.3 and it looks better inside but the FWD jaysus, I dunno about that lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭darrenheaphy

Finally got a Zappi charger installed, have set up scheduled charging but when I start the charger on the Zappi unit it seems to just jump straight into charging ... what am I doing wrong? I've assumed I can just plug it in and the car will start charging at the scheduled time (schedule is configured and enabled on both app and an in-car settings) or is the fact that I'm specifying the charger on Zappi to start overwriting the scheduled charge?

Finally got a Zappi charger installed, have set up scheduled charging but when I start the charger on the Zappi unit it seems to just jump straight into charging ... what am I doing wrong? I've assumed I can just plug it in and the car will start charging at the scheduled time (schedule is configured and enabled on both app and an in-car settings) or is the fact that I'm specifying the charger on Zappi to start overwriting the scheduled charge?

So you have your off peak hours setup, and you departure time, and switched on.

What happens when you plug in the car, does the middle light flash on the dash or immediately start charging?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Silent Running

The mode needs to be on eco++ on my Zappi to use timers. Fast mode will charge whenever the car is plugged in.

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭darrenheaphy

The mode needs to be on eco++ on my Zappi to use timers. Fast mode will charge whenever the car is plugged in.

Ah cool, that must be it. It's on Fast mode and would just start charging immediately. Schedule and departure time all set up etc.

Still - nice to wake up to a full charge :cool:

• Advertisement

Just curious, as i dont have a zappi.

are you using the timer in the zappi or the car?

With my EVSE, I can run a timer on the chargepoint if i want but I just use a the car timers. - car controls everything, When plugged in, in the evening, it comes up EV connected and middle light on the Niro flashes.

roll around to 12 (i use 12 instead of 11, it makes my graphs nicer!) Car sends signal to the evse, contactor goes ka-chunk and it starts charging.

If I want to solar divert, I have to turn off scheduled charging (or press the button on the dash).

Can the Fast++ on the zappi over-ride the car schedule?

Advertisement