Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Kia Niro EV

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,329 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

£34k might be close, €34k I think not.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Stefs_42

hi guys,

it might be a little off topic but i have 2 ev related questions:

1. what is the deterioration rate on ev batteries. i know kia gives warranty on battery pack for 7 years but at what rate in deteriorates, e.g. 5 - 10 % a year or more?
    2. as in any battery it loses its charge over time. so what happens for example, if you leave your ev in long term car park on go on holidays for say 2 weeks. would your car battery still be "alive"when you come back?

thanks for response :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

daheff wrote: »
    yeah but if hes selling a new niro 64kw EV for 34K, then I'm buying one :D

Yeah he also said not to worry about getting stock because he could get me 'whatever I need' so I think I will revise what I said about him being knowledgeable and replace it with 'he knew what a Niro BEV was' :D
    Stefs_42 wrote: »
    hi guys,

it might be a little off topic but i have 2 ev related questions:

1. what is the deterioration rate on ev batteries. i know kia gives warranty on battery pack for 7 years but at what rate in deteriorates, e.g. 5 - 10 % a year or more?
    2. as in any battery it loses its charge over time. so what happens for example, if you leave your ev in long term car park on go on holidays for say 2 weeks. would your car battery still be "alive"when you come back?

thanks for response :)

Someone more techy will be along shortly but I can tell you are definitely overestimating with the 5-10% a year figure. More like that after 5 years maybe.

Car might lose 5 to 10% if you leave it parked up for 2 weeks, probably depends a good bit on the weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,399 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Hi Stefs_42 and welcome to boards :)

1. Batteries deteriorate, but not all that much. You are likely to see about 20-30% deterioration over about 10 years. The likes of Hyundai in the USA now give a life time battery warranty with the Ioniq

2. You really don't have to worry at all about the battery, the battery management system will keep it in good condition. The one exception is if you are not going to use your car for a long time (like going on a 2 week holiday), don't leave the car with 100% charge. And yes if you park it up with 50% charge, it is quite likely it will have about 49% or so charge when you come back, so no worries there!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Varies by car but more like 10% loss after 5yrs than 10% per year!

It might lose 1% while you are away for 2 weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭BigAl81

Pricing for the Niro will be announced at the Paris motor show.

That starts this Thursday!! Does anyone know what day we'll get the Niro info? The show runs till the 14th.

I've a test drive booked for the PHEV after that to get a sense of the car the next week.

If we like the car and the price is in line with expectations we'll be putting down a deposit!! Exciting times!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭eagerv

BigAl81 wrote: »
    Pricing for the Niro will be announced at the Paris motor show.

That starts this Thursday!! Does anyone know what day we'll get the Niro info? The show runs till the 14th.

I've a test drive booked for the PHEV after that to get a sense of the car the next week.

If we like the car and the price is in line with expectations we'll be putting down a deposit!! Exciting times!

According to here: https://www.kia.com/uk/campaigns/events/paris-motorshow-2018/ there is a press release tomorrow 2/10/18. At 9 30 am on facebook.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭BigAl81

Thanks for that link!

Seems they're calling it the "e-Niro" now, doesn't have the same ring to it as the Niro EV but if they announce pricing at half 9 tomorrow morning I won't complain too much ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭eagerv

BigAl81 wrote: »
    Thanks for that link!

Seems they're calling it the "e-Niro" now, doesn't have the same ring to it as the Niro EV but if they announce pricing at half 9 tomorrow morning I won't complain too much ;)

No prob. Perhaps UK prices, but may give us an indication for the Paddy d'e Niro.

Sorry, I'll get my coat:)

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Stefs_42

thanks so much for quick replys guys!

new niro ev looks extremely tempting! even with seemingly high purchase price it will pay back in 3-4 years as with free charging stations publicly available and some work places (mine for example :) its a no brainer!
    final specs thats another story tho! ;/

• Advertisement

Watching the live broadcast from Paris

New Proceed just introduced. European looking design, more up to date looking than any other econobox that's ever come from Japan / Korea. They've come a long way. But nuff said, we're not interested in the Proceed, we want that Niro EV :p

And we have another Niro right here. Pause. And Robert de Niro appears on the screen :D

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭bonoman66

Live Video on e-Niro now....

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭kevin16w

Kia launches European advertising campaign for e-Niro electric crossover
    TV, digital and print adverts fronted by two-time Oscar winner Robert De Niro
    Kia e-Niro capable of driving up to 485 kilometres on a single charge, and up to 615 km in the city
    e-Niro eliminates many barriers to electric car ownership – with long driving range, zero-emissions, and crossover styling and practicality
    European debut at Paris Motor Show; European sales start by end of 2018
    Kia Motors today launches a new pan-European advertising campaign for the new Kia e-Niro electric crossover – fronted by Oscar-winning actor Robert De Niro.

As an ambassador for Kia’s new electric car, De Niro will highlight the e-Niro’s ability to eliminate barriers to electric vehicle ownership with a series of TV, print and digital advertisements.

Kia’s partnership with De Niro will draw on the actor’s inimitable character and sense of humour to draw attention to the e-Niro’s numerous benefits – its long 485-kilometre electric driving range, high-tech infotainment features, energy harvesting technologies, and unique crossover design.

Artur Martins, Vice President for Marketing and Product Planning at Kia Motors Europe, comments: “The communication plan for the e-Niro will be as special as the car itself. These advertisements will draw on Robert De Niro’s unique ability to entertain, as he educates drivers about the e-Niro – a car that breaks down many of the obstacles to electric vehicle ownership in a way that few others have.”

Developed by Kia Motors Europe and Innocean Worldwide Europe, the pan-European e-Niro advertising campaign starring Robert De Niro commences in November.

Kia e-Niro revealed in European specification today at the Paris Motor Show
    Kia’s first fully-electric crossover utility vehicle, the e-Niro is revealed in European specification today at the 2018 Paris Motor Show. With a driving range of up to 485 kilometres (301 miles)* on a single charge – and up to 615 kilometres (382 miles) in the city** – Kia’s first fully-electric crossover utility vehicle will be one of the most capable cars on the road when European sales commence at the end of 2018.

The new e-Niro offers greater driving range than many gasoline cars (and even a number of significantly more expensive electric cars) from its zero-emissions powertrain. Its unique combination of style and practicality is also matched by Kia’s unrivalled 7-Year, 150,000 kilometre warranty.

The e-Niro is available with a long-range, high-capacity 64 kWh lithium-ion polymer battery, as well as a 39.2 kWh power pack, which offers drivers up to 312 km (193 miles) of zero-emissions motoring on a full charge. Plugged into a 100 kW fast charger, it takes only 54 minutes to recharge the e-Niro’s 64 kWh battery to 80%.

The new e-Niro joins existing Hybrid and Plug-in Hybrid variants of the Niro – of which more than 200,000 have sold globally since its introduction in 2016. To date, Europe has accounted for more than 65,000 sales of the hybrid crossover.

The e-Niro will be covered by Kia’s industry-leading 7-Year, 150,000-kilometre warranty as standard. The warranty also covers the battery pack and electric motor.

Bit disappointed the guy interviewed live from Kia, couldn't give an idea of pricing yet...

He did mention that the customer would have the 'opportunity to use apps' but I'm not sure if I'd interpret that yet as meaning the app we know from korea will be available..(it might be some other functionality?)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

Can I ask another stupid question, why does it look like it has a clutch in the image at the bottom of this article: https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/motor-shows-paris-motor-show/new-kia-e-niro-launches-301-miles-electric-range

Can I ask another stupid question, why does it look like it has a clutch in the image at the bottom of this article: https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/motor-shows-paris-motor-show/new-kia-e-niro-launches-301-miles-electric-range

Not sure if I'm right but it may just be a place to rest your foot ?

(And its not a stupid question!)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Rest for thr foot or a mechanical parking brake...

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭thelikelylad

It's a foot rest.

e-Niro has an electronic parking brake.

It's a foot rest.

e-Niro has an electronic parking brake.

Yep - Just saw that literally this minute in this article...

http://www.miamilakesautomall.com/kia-blog/take-peek-kia-niro-ev-interior/

Quote.."...the foot pedal handbrake has disappeared and has been replaced with an electronic parking handbrake, ".....

• Advertisement

Video promoting e-Niro...

https://www.facebook.com/Kiamotorsworldwide/videos/1838414786228049/?t=1200

Here's more of just the e-Niro part of the Facebook Live Video that was broadcast earlier..

https://www.facebook.com/Kiamotorsworldwide/videos/1838414786228049/?t=2081

Paul Philpott (President and CEO - Kia Motors UK & Ireland) for UK Motoring Car Magazine Article published today....

No prices have been set yet for the e-Niro, but Philpott hopes to announce the cost early in the new year. First deliveries are slated for March 2019 .......

https://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-news/first-official-pictures/kia/e-niro/

I only saw the first few minutes but the one bit I liked is that this lady had the e-Niro near the french vulcano of Chaîne des Puys. Which she says is 485km from Paris and she was going to get into the car and drive to the show this morning. I checked and it is indeed that distance away to the show. 485km is the official WLTP range of the car. It would be pretty decent if she could make it to Paris (mostly motorway driving) in reasonable time, without charging. It's cloudy and rainy with temps between 10-15C this morning over there.

unkel wrote: »
    I only saw the first few minutes but the one bit I liked is that this lady had the e-Niro near the french vulcano of Chaîne des Puys. Which she says is 485km from Paris and she was going to get into the car and drive to the show this morning. I checked and it is indeed that distance away to the show. 485km is the official WLTP range of the car. It would be pretty decent if she could make it to Paris (mostly motorway driving) in reasonable time, without charging. It's cloudy and rainy with temps between 10-15C this morning over there.

Agree - that will be interesting to see alright...

Here's some more detailed information about the e-Niro (I had seen some of this technical information before but not all of it...)

https://www.netcarshow.com/kia/2019-e-niro/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

The UK is not going to offer the 39kWh option. Only the 64kWh option.

The company will in fact sell two different capacities in Europe, but the UK won't import the lesser 39kWh battery. 'We want to hammer home the message that this is a car with a viable daily range - and one you can charge from 20% to 80% capacity in 40 minutes,' UK chief executive and president Paul Philpott told CAR magazine.

Will that mean Ireland won't have the 39kWh? it makes sense in UK due to the size of the country but in Ireland most crossover's or a high percentage are used in cities and 39kWh would be plenty

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Will that mean Ireland won't have the 39kWh? it makes sense in UK due to the size of the country but in Ireland most crossover's or a high percentage are used in cities and 39kWh would be plenty

Even 28kWh is plenty for 90% of the people if you have a reliable nationwide fast charging network of at least say 20 fast chargers (in an efficient car that means just one charging stop on pretty much any possible journey from A to B in this country - and you want a stop anyway on a journey that's the guts of 400km)

To attract diesel drivers (EV n00bs) in large numbers to EVs (and in the absense of a reliable fast charging network), there must be plenty of range, so I think it's the right decision to only sell the 64kWh (both Kona and Niro) in Ireland

Might as well stick in a little rant. The busiest fast charge point in Ireland (Lucan), has been broken (for CCS) for the guts of a month now :eek:. Shocking stuff. I'm really not sure that if I was to buy a brand new car today, that it would be an EV. Not at least until the Ionity network has a few live charging stations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Even 28kWh is plenty for 90% of the people if you have a reliable nationwide fast charging network of at least say 20 fast chargers (in an efficient car that means just one charging stop on pretty much any possible journey from A to B in this country - and you want a stop anyway on a journey that's the guts of 400km)

To attract diesel drivers (EV n00bs) in large numbers to EVs (and in the absense of a reliable fast charging network), there must be plenty of range, so I think it's the right decision to only sell the 64kWh (both Kona and Niro) in Ireland

Might as well stick in a little rant. The busiest fast charge point in Ireland (Lucan), has been broken (for CCS) for the guts of a month now :eek:. Shocking stuff. I'm really not sure that if I was to buy a brand new car today, that it would be an EV. Not at least until the Ionity network has a few live charging stations.

I agree with bigger is better but with the e-Niro potentially coming in at 40k and the PHEV at 32k I know a lot of people will find it hard coming up with 8k, especially if the PCP offer is terrible.

If you had a 32k option with 39kWh then it could be a real alternative, especially to a 2 car household.

I would hope that with the e-Niro/Kona etc out now that lease companies etc cannot make the excuse anymore that they keep the price high because a new model is coming out soon.....

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

For comparison, my "local" fast charger is Navan and it has not really been broken for longer than say 24 hours in the 2+ years I've had my EVs.

I got my home charger installed a week ago and haven't used a fast charger since. In that time I've been to Ikea, Wexford (to visit outlaws, used granny cable overnight) and in and out and around Meath as I was off work.
    200km (I pushed it to 220km!) range and you will rarely need to use fast chargers.

If you live in lucan, i wouldn't be personally bothered that the lucan charger is broken (but if your concern is for the network users as a whole that's different).
    They added CCS at J14 on the M7 recently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    I agree with bigger is better but with the e-Niro potentially coming in at 40k and the PHEV at 32k I know a lot of people will find it hard coming up with 8k, especially if the PCP offer is terrible.

If you had a 32k option with 39kWh then it could be a real alternative, especially to a 2 car household.

I would hope that with the e-Niro/Kona etc out now that lease companies etc cannot make the excuse anymore that they keep the price high because a new model is coming out soon.....

Yeah I agree. The reason the Ioniq BEV was arguably more popular than the PHEV variant was because the BEV was cheaper. 8k will probably pay your fuel bill for many years in a PHEV.

I wouldn't normally buy the smaller battery version personally, but if the choice was 300km range vs paying 8k for 450km, I'd probably be fine with a higher spec 39kWh version.

Advertisement