Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Kia Niro EV

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,864 ✭✭✭daheff

any word on when pricing is to be announced?? or spec?

We all know what the car looks like....its the details we want!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

daheff wrote: »

I wouldn't be expecting this year based on the launch

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭bonoman66

No word on pricing yet..

This is from the Kia UK Facebook Page earlier this morning...(someone asked about being able to order an e-Niro with a sunroof)

Quote. from Kia UK ."The Niro EV will be released late 2018/early 2019 to the UK. You can register your interest with your local Kia dealer, so they can contact you once the specification is available..."

• Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Should be known this month. Demo models in Nov. Deliveries in 191.

Thats what multiple dealers told me.

ELM327 wrote: »
    Yeah I agree. The reason the Ioniq BEV was arguably more popular than the PHEV variant was because the BEV was cheaper. 8k will probably pay your fuel bill for many years in a PHEV.

I wouldn't normally buy the smaller battery version personally, but if the choice was 300km range vs paying 8k for 450km, I'd probably be fine with a higher spec 39kWh version.

In my case, I could potentally swap the eGolf but in reality the current range is perfect for what it is used for.....plus I love the car and with the rate of km's I am putting on it the value is decreasing so potentially better now to drive it till it dies

So then it is to swap the diesel.....yes the additional range would be perfect but if I went PHEV, most of the short journey(which is 90% of its driving) I could do on battery anyway and then for a longer trips I will get a lot of petrol for 8k.....

Would I like to go full BEV house, I would love it but that 8k would put rather a large Solar PV set up onto the house....which in turn will drive rewards with PHEV and BEV cars.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭KCross

unkel wrote: »
    I only saw the first few minutes but the one bit I liked is that this lady had the e-Niro near the french vulcano of Chaîne des Puys. Which she says is 485km from Paris and she was going to get into the car and drive to the show this morning. I checked and it is indeed that distance away to the show. 485km is the official WLTP range of the car. It would be pretty decent if she could make it to Paris (mostly motorway driving) in reasonable time, without charging. It's cloudy and rainy with temps between 10-15C this morning over there.

How did she get it to 100% SOC up there?! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭eagerv

I'd say by trailer?

Good PR stunt, even if starting from the top of a mountain..:)

KCross wrote: »
    How did she get it to 100% SOC up there?! :)

Long charger cable :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Silent Running

Geo thermal charging? :D

Just an observation...unless my eyes are deceiving me...

Paris Motor Show e-Niro Car on Display

VESS Button on Left of Steering Wheel (To switch on / off the simulated engine noise at low speed ?)

57 Seconds into the video (Just pause it at that point).

https://youtu.be/LgR2z7gSNek?t=57

Bjorn's Niro-EV Review from Car he tested in Korea

No VESS Button on Left of Steering Wheel at that same location.

5 Mins 13 Secs into the video (Just pause at that point).

https://youtu.be/XvaQiFRPNd0?t=313

Interesting if I'm seeing this correctly & my old eye's aint playing up :-)

• Advertisement

Here's another Paris Show Video from today about the e-Niro.

10 Seconds in, (Obviously not Kia Official), Thomas from Autogefühl, reckons it'll be approx €35K for the smaller battery version..

https://youtu.be/za7oxUuPgik?t=10

Just came across this unofficial pricing & e-Niro Trim Levels (for non Ireland Region but might give us some insight...)

http://www.automobile-propre.com/kia-e-niro-des-30-000-euros-bonus-et-prime-a-la-conversion-deduits/

Quoting Article after Google Translate.....

Since the launch of our article yesterday on the Kia e- Niro, we have obtained some additional figures, including selling prices.

For the basic finish e- Active already very well equipped (autonomous driving level 2, adaptive cruise control with Stop & Go function, active assistance in driving in traffic jams, autonomous emergency braking system (FCA) with detection of pedestrians, active support for lane maintenance, touch screen 7 "+ connected navigation, camera and reversing radar, rain sensor, smartphone induction charger, leather steering wheel ...), the gross floor price is 42,500 or 38,500 euros respectively for the 64 kWh version with 485 kilometers of autonomy (combined cycle WLTP) and the battery with 39.2 kWh of capacity and 312 km of autonomy. By deducting the current bonus Ecological 6,000 euros, prices fall to 36,500 and 32,500 euros, and even to 34,000 and 30,000 euros by getting rid of a car concerned by the premium to the conversion of 2,500 euros.

e-Design and e-Premium
    For gross prices of 44,500 and 40,500 euros respectively, the e- Design intermediate finish offers the following equipment: Full Led front headlamps, tinted rear window and rear windows, chrome glazed line, front parking sensors, leather upholstery, safety thresholds chrome doors, two-level trunk floor and trunk storage compartments. The best finish is only available for the 64 kWh version, compared to 46,500 gross euros. In addition to the sunroof pack and heating elements (front seats and steering wheel), it provides the 8 "navigation screen with DAB, the JBL sound system (320 W), the driver's seat with electric lumbar supports. Note that we go to the top quality finish with only 2,000 euros extra.

LLD
    Kia also offers a long-term rental package to leave with the e-Niro. Example for the 64 kWh version with the e-Active finish: 397 euros per month, with a contribution of only 1,150 euros, government bonus already deducted, and provided you can claim the premium conversion.

Rates excluding bonus
    Engines Drums E-ACTIVE E-DESIGN E-PREMIUM
    100 kW / 136 hp 39 kWh € 38,500 € 40 500 -
    150 kW / 204 hp 64 kWh € 42,500 € 44,500 € 46,500

Other figures
    Maximum speeds: 167 km / h (64 kWh version) // 155 km / h (39.2 kWh version)
    Energy consumption (WLTP combined cycle): 14.9 kWh / 100 km // 14,2 kWh / 100 km
    Battery voltage: 356 V // 327 V
    Power of the battery: 170/104 kW
    Energy density: 250 Wh / kg (common to both versions).
    Length x width x height (mm): 4,375 x 1,805 x 1,570

So I wonder (solely based on this article) if the Ireland price for the Top Spec Trim (E-Premium) will be €36,500 (After the SEAI Grant & VRT Rebates have been applied?) - If any of this & the Trim Levels are correct & indeed apply to Ireland....

If those prices are correct I dont see why anyone would buy it over the PHEV version

Rates excluding bonus
    Engines Drums E-ACTIVE E-DESIGN E-PREMIUM
    100 kW / 136 hp 39 kWh € 38,500 € 40 500 -
    150 kW / 204 hp 64 kWh € 42,500 € 44,500 € 46,500

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭thelikelylad

I’m guessing these prices are for the French market based on the article.

PHEV: €36,550
    e-Niro 64kWh: €36,500 (inc. €6k french grant)

I know which one I’d choose.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Stefs_42

46 grand for top spec e-niro. omg! :(

Stefs_42 wrote: »
    46 grand for top spec e-niro. omg! :(

We don't really know for sure - its just some info to be thinking about until we get the official pricing / specs for Ireland.

I would presume (hope), that there would be €10K in Grants/Rebates coming off that €46K price (if indeed that is the price we get here...)

Imagine Hyundai / Potential Kona Buyers might have an issue if a top spec e-Niro was priced below the 'Paddy Spec' Kona it appears Ireland may be getting...

It would be even more of a headache trying to get an e-Niro then..(If that's what you wanted or were interested in / preferred etc..)

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Stefs_42

bonoman66 wrote: »
    We don't really know for sure - its just some info to be thinking about until we get the official pricing / specs for Ireland.

I would presume (hope), that there would be €10K in Grants/Rebates coming off that €46K price (if indeed that is the price we get here...)

Imagine Hyundai / Potential Kona Buyers might have an issue if a top spec e-Niro was priced below the 'Paddy Spec' Kona it appears Ireland may be getting...

It would be even more of a headache trying to get an e-Niro then..(If that's what you wanted or were interested in / preferred etc..)

speaking of grants, how does that system is applied? would total value of grants be applied on purchase price?

Stefs_42 wrote: »
    speaking of grants, how does that system is applied? would total value of grants be applied on purchase price?

Hi,

I certainly don't have all the answers & I'm still learning about all things EV etc..

Hypothetically (because we really don't know for certain what the Ireland pricing structure will be yet or even if we'll get all these Trim Levels) if we just take that figure we got from the web yesterday of the €46,500 Euros for the Top Trim Level e-Niro (e-Premium 64 kWh Version).

That would represent the Full List Price with no relief or rebates taken from it - as it states in that document.

My limited understanding (Anyone please jump in & correct if / where I have this wrong..) is that based on the info I read here:

https://www.gov.ie/en/service/electric-vehicle-grant-scheme/

https://www.seai.ie/grants/electric-vehicle-grants/grant-amounts/

That €5000 VRT Rebate comes off that €46,500 from the dealer, so you pay the dealer €41,500.

Then you subsequently apply / submit the paperwork to claim back an additional €5,000 SEAI EV Grant.

So the Net Cost would be €41,500 - €5,5000 = €36,500 (Plus Delivery & Related Charges on top of that again - guesstimate + €1K = Total Net cost to you approx €37,500).

Lots of assumptions, Hypothetical figures (& my limited understanding of the grants & rebates which I'm open to correction on..)

Hope this helps a little...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭eagerv

bonoman66 wrote: »
    Hi,

I certainly don't have all the answers & I'm still learning about all things EV etc..

Hypothetically (because we really don't know for certain what the Ireland pricing structure will be yet or even if we'll get all these Trim Levels) if we just take that figure we got from the web yesterday of the €46,500 Euros for the Top Trim Level e-Niro (e-Premium 64 kWh Version).

That would represent the Full List Price with no relief or rebates taken from it - as it states in that document.

My limited understanding (Anyone please jump in & correct if / where I have this wrong..) is that based on the info I read here:

https://www.gov.ie/en/service/electric-vehicle-grant-scheme/

https://www.seai.ie/grants/electric-vehicle-grants/grant-amounts/

That €5000 VRT Rebate comes off that €46,500 from the dealer, so you pay the dealer €41,500.

Then you subsequently apply / submit the paperwork to claim back an additional €5,000 SEAI EV Grant.

So the Net Cost would be €41,500 - €5,5000 = €36,500 (Plus Delivery & Related Charges on top of that again - guesstimate + €1K = Total Net cost to you approx €37,500).

Lots of assumptions, Hypothetical figures (& my limited understanding of the grants & rebates which I'm open to correction on..)

Hope this helps a little...

Don't forget that an EV of this value will be also include some VRT. The grant includes a maximum of €5k for VRT. So perhaps another €1k for VRT?

Also higher VAT rates here.

As you say, it's speculation at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,399 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

eagerv wrote: »
    Don't forget that an EV of this value will be also include some VRT. The grant includes a maximum of €5k for VRT. So perhaps another €1k for VRT?

It would only be €1k for VRT if the total price of the car to the consumer is well over €40k (14% of the OMSP (which is about 92% of the RRP) minus the €35k treshold)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,572 ✭✭✭patmac

Hi folks can you check if my figures are right below, we have 2 current ICE’s 141 Fiesta diesel (mine), 04 Toyota Corrolla (other half’s), my round trip journey to work 100km, was offered an imported Ioniq recently for €29k but couldn’t justify paying €3k more for a car that I could have got new 6 months ago regardless of spec. So my idea:
    If I buy new 2019 (hopefully Niro) €35k , sell Fiesta €7.5K, fuel savings €3k, keep Toyota. Total cost at end of the year €24.5k.
    2020 fuel savings €3k, buy 2nd hand wifey car €5k; overall total cost €26.5k.
    2021 fuel savings €3k, overall total cost €23.5k.
    Wifey’s idea
    Buy new 2021 €32k-35k , keep Fiesta (for wifey) fuel savings €3k. Total cost:€32k. We could alternatively just purchase a new electric and keep the Fiesta. Anything I’m overlooking?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,864 ✭✭✭daheff

patmac wrote: »
    Hi folks can you check if my figures are right below, we have 2 current ICE’s 141 Fiesta diesel (mine), 04 Toyota Corrolla (other half’s), my round trip journey to work 100km, was offered an imported Ioniq recently for €29k but couldn’t justify paying €3k more for a car that I could have got new 6 months ago regardless of spec. So my idea:
    If I buy new 2019 (hopefully Niro) €35k , sell Fiesta €7.5K, fuel savings €3k, keep Toyota. Total cost at end of the year €24.5k.
    2020 fuel savings €3k, buy 2nd hand wifey car €5k; overall total cost €26.5k.
    2021 fuel savings €3k, overall total cost €23.5k.
    Wifey’s idea
    Buy new 2021 €32k-35k , keep Fiesta (for wifey) fuel savings €3k. Total cost:€32k. We could alternatively just purchase a new electric and keep the Fiesta. Anything I’m overlooking?

Not looking at your figures, but if you can afford to keep the 141 then keep it and get rid of the 04 corolla. less costs in running a newer car.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭cros13

It's certainly worth switching as quickly as possible to get the running cost advantage and other advantages of the EV sooner rather than later.

04 Corollas are also fairly reliable for a combustion vehicle. And once you've lived with the EV for a few weeks your other half will be very insistent on becoming a two EV family.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭kuro68k

Really keen to get one, but why is the charging infrastructure so crap in Ireland??? :(

kuro68k wrote: »
    Really keen to get one, but why is the charging infrastructure so crap in Ireland??? :(

The fast charging infrastructure is about to improve dramatically, kuro68k

Have a look at this:

Linky

Summary: the Ionity charging network will initially develop 9 very fast charger stations in Ireland with at least 6 chargers per station. Planning permissions have been lodged in the last month or so for the first 3 stations

They will only have CCS charging. Which is what all new EVs use, except the Nissan Leaf and the Teslas. So perfect for the Niro!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭BigAl81

That's the whole point of the Niro!

If I can get one I'll be driving past all the busy / broken public chargers with my 500km range and charge at home

That's the idea!

Best make sure the charger comes on at exactly one second after the night rate starts. If your battery is empty, you will need the full 9 hours of night saver rate to charge it up cheaply :D

Will cost you a bit over €5 for your 500km range :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭80sDiesel

That's the idea!

Best make sure the charger comes on at exactly one second after the night rate starts. If your battery is empty, you will need the full 9 hours of night saver rate to charge it up cheaply :D

What would it roughly cost on a normal rate ?

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

That's the idea!

Night rate is 8 hours: either 12-8am at the moment, or 11pm-7am during winter.

80sDiesel wrote: »
    What would it roughly cost on a normal rate ?
    How long is a piece of string.

Take how many kWh are needed (let's say 60kWh to fill a 64kWh Niro from nearly empty to full). Then multiply by your daily rate for electricity, lets allow 15c/kWh as a sample (you will find your rate on your bill). You will then need to allow for charger losses, I generally estimate 5% for this. You will get an accurate figure if you get a smart meter.

In the example quoted it will take 60kWh*1.05*0.15= €9.45 to charge at home on day rate for 500km range, excluding fixed charges that you need to pay anyway (fixed charge, PSO etc)

Consider that €9.45 versus say €35 in a relatively economical diesel car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Silent Running

That's the idea!

First, make sure the clock is set right on your meter. Mine is 20 minutes slow.

Advertisement