Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Kia Niro EV

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,399 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

ELM327 wrote: »
    Night rate is 8 hours: either 12-8am at the moment, or 11pm-7am during winter.

Nope. It's 9 hours.

"In winter-time, customers on a NightSaver tariff can avail of cheaper (or "off peak") electricity from 11pm to 8am. In summer-time (right now – and up to when the clocks go back in late October) the night-rate hours are midnight until 9am."

Linky

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

unkel wrote: »
    Nope. It's 9 hours.

"In winter-time, customers on a NightSaver tariff can avail of cheaper (or "off peak") electricity from 11pm to 8am. In summer-time (right now – and up to when the clocks go back in late October) the night-rate hours are midnight until 9am."

Linky

Interesting, I'm sure that was 12-8 and 11-7 before.
    I'm always gone to work or asleep between 7am-8am anyway, and everything I need to run at night takes 4 hours max including the car so doesn't make a difference to me I guess!

It's always been 9 hours - well since the first time I looked into this back in the 90s iirc :)
    Interesting, I'm sure that was 12-8 and 11-7 before.
    I'm always gone to work or asleep between 7am-8am anyway, and everything I need to run at night takes 4 hours max including the car so doesn't make a difference to me I guess!

It will make a difference for your next EV with a much bigger battery that takes a lot longer than 4 hours to charge :p

That's why I said "nearly empty" not "empty". No one arrives home with no battery left at all. :P (This was a response to a now deleted post)

@Unkel yes you're correct it will. I wonder why I thought it was only 8 hours. I worked in the energy industry for years too, (albeit not for domestic customers) so I should have known better!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭KCross

First, make sure the clock is set right on your meter. Mine is 20 minutes slow.

If it suits you to have it 20mins slow then thats OK but if you'd rather it be accurate you can request it be fixed. I got mine fixed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,864 ✭✭✭daheff

In the example quoted it will take 60kWh*1.05*0.15= €9.45 to charge at home on day rate for 500km range, excluding fixed charges that you need to pay anyway (fixed charge, PSO etc)

Consider that €9.45 versus say €35 in a relatively economical diesel car.

I think 15c is undercooking the unit price (unless i'm being screwed big time).

Its more along the 18.5c (incl vat) level. Also remember the night meter has an additional charge to it (about 60EUR more a year)...makes it more like 11.65. Still great vs 35-40Eur for ICE.

This Electric Ireland link has rates from 4 years ago

daheff wrote: »

You are not "being screwed". You are screwing yourself, man. Big time. You are paying well over 30% too much! Switch every year and get yourself the best rates. Current best day time rates are around the 14c mark incl VAT

Its more along the 18.5c (incl vat) level. Also remember the night meter has an additional charge to it (about 60EUR more a year)...makes it more like 11.65. Still great vs 35-40Eur for ICE.

This Electric Ireland link has rates from 4 years ago
    In fairness I just picked a random number off the top of my head.
    I'm too cheap to charge at home on day rate so I wouldn't know!
    Night rate for me is currently I think between 7-8c incl vat

You are not "being screwed". You are screwing yourself, man. Big time. You are paying well over 30% too much! Switch every year and get yourself the best rates. Current best day time rates are around the 14c mark incl VAT

no- i do change. I changed back in mar & availed of 175EUR switching bonus. unit rates are higher, but overall i do better out of it.

BTW best rate (on bonkers.ie) at the moment is 14.9c +VAT, so around 16.9c

And has a low standing charge too! If i wasnt in contract i'd switch tomorrow to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭kuro68k

kuro68k wrote: »
    Really keen to get one, but why is the charging infrastructure so crap in Ireland??? :(

The fast charging infrastructure is about to improve dramatically, kuro68k

Have a look at this:

Linky

Summary: the Ionity charging network will initially develop 9 very fast charger stations in Ireland with at least 6 chargers per station. Planning permissions have been lodged in the last month or so for the first 3 stations

They will only have CCS charging. Which is what all new EVs use, except the Nissan Leaf and the Teslas. So perfect for the Niro!

Unfortunately they probably won't be very near to me down in Greystones, where there is literally nothing in the way of charging. Being in an apartment I can't home charge either.

It's so bad I'll move home in a year when the lease is up. I miss my Leaf too much. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Unfortunately they probably won't be very near to me down in Greystones, where there is literally nothing in the way of charging. Being in an apartment I can't home charge either.

It's so bad I'll move home in a year when the lease is up. I miss my Leaf too much. :(

That's a bit drastic but if it really means that much to you just change jobs and/or house to somewhere that has charge point capability.

Right now, if you have no work or home charging, Ireland is not the place to own an EV.

no- i do change. I changed back in mar & availed of 175EUR switching bonus. unit rates are higher, but overall i do better out of it.

Indeed. These cash back bonuses are not included in the bonkers comparison, so fair play for doing your sums!

And believe it or not, I signed up myself for Electric Ireland two weeks ago, for both my gas and my electricity! The €200 cash back made it cheaper for me to go for their higher rates as long as I can keep my total electricity use under 6MWh per year. Which I intend to do (with the help of micro renewables)
    BTW best rate (on bonkers.ie) at the moment is 14.9c +VAT, so around 16.9c

Bonkers prices include VAT!

Bonkers prices include VAT!

You are correct! I'm getting badly confused. Work is getting in the way of my Boards life:D

Just looked through old emails -rate i was put onto was 16.88c (inc vat- since gone up to 17.87c inc vat) -so my apologies to the other poster who used 15c as a guide in their calcs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

KCross wrote: »
    That's a bit drastic but if it really means that much to you just change jobs and/or house to somewhere that has charge point capability.

Right now, if you have no work or home charging, Ireland is not the place to own an EV.

To be fair very few countries have a set up for people who don't have a home charger

• Registered Users Posts: 12,329 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Wrong thread?

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Wrong thread?

Nothing to see here.....carry on :p

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭jarrieta

Really keen to get one, but why is the charging infrastructure so crap in Ireland??? :(

The fast charging infrastructure is about to improve dramatically, kuro68k

Have a look at this:

Linky

Summary: the Ionity charging network will initially develop 9 very fast charger stations in Ireland with at least 6 chargers per station. Planning permissions have been lodged in the last month or so for the first 3 stations

They will only have CCS charging. Which is what all new EVs use, except the Nissan Leaf and the Teslas. So perfect for the Niro!
    I have been thinking about this as I would gladly jump into the wagon, but I still think that the lack of destination chargers is a big problem for going full electric. Imagine I am going for 2 weeks to Donegal or Sligo, I will need to charge the car to be able to drive during my holidays and no one is going to install fast chargers in remote areas of the country. I cannot see B&B's installing destination chargers either...

jarrieta wrote: »
    I have been thinking about this as I would gladly jump into the wagon, but I still think that the lack of destination chargers is a big problem for going full electric. Imagine I am going for 2 weeks to Donegal or Sligo, I will need to charge the car to be able to drive during my holidays and no one is going to install fast chargers in remote areas of the country. I cannot see B&B's installing destination chargers either...

A granny cable.....plug in over night and you will get a decent charge for next morning....

On my eGolf I will fill 26kWh with about 8-9 hours on granny charger....

Also you will find now a lot of B&B/hotels are installing home chargers and offering to customer but any external plug will let you charge

Shefwedfan wrote: »

A granny cable.....plug in over night and you will get a decent charge for next morning....

On my eGolf I will fill 26kWh with about 8-9 hours on granny charger....

Also you will find now a lot of B&B/hotels are installing home chargers and offering to customer but any external plug will let you charge

Yeah, I know about the granny, but in the last B&B I have been the parking is not close to the building (I have not looked if they had weatherproof sockets either). Lot of B&B/hotels installing home chargers? Really?

bigger hotels maybe, but i'd be surprised to see it in B&Bs tbh.

• Advertisement

bigger hotels maybe,  but i'd be surprised to see it in B&Bs tbh.
    Even in hotels, I know hotels have chargers but deffo not in my price range by far

Have never seen one in a B&B but I have been allowed to run a granny cable out the window.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭BigAl81

DrPhilG wrote:
    Have never seen one in a B&B but I have been allowed to run a granny cable out the window.

For free, or did you pay for units used?

Yeah, I know about the granny, but in the last B&B I have been the parking is not close to the building (I have not looked if they had weatherproof sockets either).

25m extension lead through the window. Connected to the granny cable under the car (maybe up on a brick if you expect floods)

I've done that, works grand.

You can charge your EV on any of the 100,000,000 electricity sockets in this country :cool:

bigger hotels maybe, but i'd be surprised to see it in B&Bs tbh.

A good few people posting in facebook group about airbnb and installing charger or external plug to allow electric cars to charge

A number of them seemed to be B&B as well.....

Of course some of the owners had a BEV themselves but they made it available to guess if staying.

I think as electric cars become more popular you will see people putting solutions in place to try and get advantage over competition

BigAl81 wrote: »

To be honest if someone was kind enough to let me charge I would automatically pay them for it.....I wouldn't even ask

• Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Water John

You could always stay with DrPhilG up there!!!

BigAl81 wrote: »

I offered, they said not to worry about it. Was going to leave a few € on the locker but didn't actually take them up on it in the end, had enough for the trip anyway and my wife didn't fancy letting any cold air in the window.

KCross wrote: »

I'm finding that, yes. I will move house to get a home charger if that's what it takes. I had two Leafs, hate going back to a fossil.

I'm disappointed with the quality of life here. Might be okay if I could at least get a decent car, but at this rate maybe I'll just move back to the UK, assuming it hasn't sunk into the sea post-brexit.

I was really, really looking forward to this car :(

• Advertisement

Shefwedfan wrote: »

I thought about this for work maybe, but for the Niro it's not such a good option. Say you get a whopping 3kW, you are looking at 22 hours for a full charge. If you work 8 hours a day that's three days.

If it was just one day a week or something, encourage other people use it as well then okay. But 3 days a week...

Advertisement