Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Kia Niro EV

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    To be honest if someone was kind enough to let me charge I would automatically pay them for it.....I wouldn't even ask
    I wouldnt pay, would you pay for charging your laptop or phone?
    Would pay if they had installed a charger and needed to make the money back or whatever but if I have to use my granny cable + 15meter extension cable out a window that's inconvenient for me and I don't pay for inconvenience. It's like giving a tip to a waiter who brings your food, but it's late and cold. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

ELM327 wrote: »
    I wouldnt pay, would you pay for charging your laptop or phone?
    Would pay if they had installed a charger and needed to make the money back or whatever but if I have to use my granny cable + 15meter extension cable out a window that's inconvenient for me and I don't pay for inconvenience. It's like giving a tip to a waiter who brings your food, but it's late and cold. :pac:

Depends on the situation. If the charger is advertised in the property and part of the reason you pick the location then no, it should be included in the room rate

If you are staying in a standard B&B and they have no charger but go out of their way to help you out then I would automatically offer them something

Maybe I am just too kind :P:P:P

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Stefs_42

youtu.be/rq-EpCf2ZmE

this guy speaks or 3 different specs for konas and pricing.
    might be similar for niro ev, what ye think guys?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Silent Running

Stefs_42 wrote: »
    youtu.be/rq-EpCf2ZmE

this guy speaks or 3 different specs for konas and pricing.
    might be similar for niro ev, what ye think guys?

Unfortunately, it's down to the importer to decide what we'll get here. Hyundai, in their infinite greed have decided that we'll get a stripped down Kona, and only that option will be available. They did the same with the Ioniq, but not as Paddy spec as they seem to have gone with on the Kona.

We can only hope that Hyundai's sister company, Kia, will treat us a bit better. I'm not sure they will, if I'm honest. :(

Unfortunately, it's down to the importer to decide what we'll get here. Hyundai, in their infinite greed have decided that we'll get a stripped down Kona, and only that option will be available. They did the same with the Ioniq, but not as Paddy spec as they seem to have gone with on the Kona.

We can only hope that Hyundai's sister company, Kia, will treat us a bit better. I'm not sure they will, if I'm honest. :(

If the Kona flys out the door with the low spec then Kia would be nuts to provide a higher spec Niro with lower margin....

They will give a paddy spec and based on market experience the customer will buy anyway.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭KCross

If the Kona flys out the door with the low spec then Kia would be nuts to provide a higher spec Niro with lower margin....

They will give a paddy spec and based on market experience the customer will buy anyway.....

But VW won’t do that with the Neo, they will give them away at €25k! ;)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

KCross wrote: »

German manufacturers are used to the spec, plus options model. I don't mind the paddy spec, it's the lack of abilty to buy the car that I want. I'd be happy to place an order that took 8 months knowing I could get one.

haha.....

The Neo of course will come with a spec and then option packs. Like all VW's....

haha.....

The Neo of course will come with a spec and then option packs. Like all VW's....

The option packs are not relevant to the point.
    You said above
    "If the Kona flys out the door with the low spec then Kia would be nuts to provide a higher spec Niro with lower margin"

That is EXACTLY the point I made in the Neo thread for why VW had no reason to sell the Neo for €25k when they can still sell all of them for €30k+.

In your own words they would be nuts to sell it at €25k for lower margin if they know they can sell them for €30k.

I just found it funny that you think it applies to Hyundai/Kia but not VW. They all have margins they want to hit and you sell at the level the market will bear, not necessarily a margin based on your costs.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I just found it funny that you think it applies to Hyundai/Kia but not VW. They all have margins they want to hit and you sell at the level the market will bear, not necessarily a margin based on your costs.

Because it is currently 2018 and not 2020. Hyundai/Kia pretty much the market to themselves at the moment, so can charge what they want. But it won't stay that way, not in 2020.

In 2020 you will have the Neo, Leaf 60 will likely arrive, Leaf 40 drop in price and Hyundai/Kia will face more competition. Folks will have more choices then and the market will do it's thing.

• Advertisement

The option packs are not relevant to the point.
    You said above
    "If the Kona flys out the door with the low spec then Kia would be nuts to provide a higher spec Niro with lower margin"
    That is EXACTLY the point I made in the Neo thread for why VW had no reason to sell the Neo for €25k when they can still sell all of them for €30k+.

In your own words they would be nuts to sell it at €25k for lower margin if they know they can sell them for €30k.

The difference is Hyundai and Kia will have a total of maybe 1000 vehicles for sale in Ireland....after that nothing for a long time

VW will be pushing out to the masses....not just the select few that will pay over the top for an electric car...after all it is a Kia :P

The are 2 differnet business models. I think I covered that in the Neo thread...

Manufacturing 200-300k vehicles per year and trying to become the number 1 electric car manufacturer is a bit differnet to annoucing before you even launch the car you will have limited supply

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

bk wrote:
    In 2020 you will have the Neo, Leaf 60 will likely arrive, Leaf 40 drop in price and Hyundai/Kia will face more competition. Folks will have more choices then and the market will do it's thing.

Don't forget the *cough* *cough* Model 3 :D

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

LOL, of course, how could I forget!!!!

And maybe a 40kWh Ioniq too.

The Tesla Model 3 will still be on preorder at that stage.

You still wont be able to walk into a dealer and ask to buy one. In that case I would rule it out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭BigAl81

I was taking to two Kia dealers in Dublin today, no news on e-Niro pricing or availability yet ;(

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭kuro68k

Early next year we should see a 60kWh Soul. Apparently they are ditching the fossil version completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

The Soul is... not a pretty car :D

I owned two Leafs and loved them :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

kuro68k wrote: »
    Early next year we should see a 60kWh Soul. Apparently they are ditching the fossil version completely.
    Would love to see further details on this!
    It's not a pretty fossil car either, neither is its competition in the Juke etc
    At that type of car it's functionality over form.

(As a former leaf owner I too know this :pac:)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

You might not like it, but at least it has a soul. Contrary to majority of other cars, it is not as boring as yesterday potato mush.

• Advertisement

ELM327 wrote: »
    Would love to see further details on this!

Unfortunately there isn't much. The current model is getting a refresh, that is certain. Dealers have been told that there won't be a fossil version, only electric. That might include PHEV, it might not.

Of course the expectation is that it will have the same battery options as the Niro, 39 or 64 kWh.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Stefs_42

yesterday registered my interest with kia niro ev with kia dealer. got a call back with some vague info:

demo models to Ireland might arrive Feb 2019. shipping time from Korea takes apparently 2 months. seemingly 1000 units will be shipped at once.
    no news on pricing as of yet
    no news on specs as of yet.
    agent said there is enormous interest for this particular model and most likely will be sold out first day once off the ship. and more than likely cars will go on sale with 192 plates.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,329 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Seems like the UK will beat us to the punch again, which makes life difficult if you're planning to import as most Irish insurance companies won't have the car on their system until they are being shipped in Ireland.

Stefs_42 wrote: »
    yesterday registered my interest with kia niro ev with kia dealer. got a call back with some vague info:

demo models to Ireland might arrive Feb 2019. shipping time from Korea takes apparently 2 months. seemingly 1000 units will be shipped at once.
    no news on pricing as of yet
    no news on specs as of yet.
    agent said there is enormous interest for this particular model and most likely will be sold out first day once off the ship. and more than likely cars will go on sale with 192 plates.

Agent is saying it will sell out but will it?

It BIK is below 50k and that is without the 10k grant they will need to have it priced very similar to the Kona. If not then it will be over the 50k mark and BIK customer will run a mile.

So if they do like Hyundai and give a crappy spec for under the 40k mark then why would I spend 40k on a car with a crappy spec? especially as the government don't have the balls to target diesel. Just buy myself a Audi Q3/A5 for 40k.

So saying it will sell out day 1 is very optimistic. Especially if VW start to announce Neo pricing and confirm they can ship at 25-30k. If they arrive with a Niro at 40k I think most people will wait the 12 months and keep 10k in their pocket.

After all it is a Kia, not a BMW or Merc. They get to keep 10k, get a VW badge(better resale), and also get what seems to be a larger interior.

The more and more these cars get pushed out in 2019 the more and more I will wait for what VW will come out with....I like the Niro, but I ain't going to pay 40k+ for a car when VW will bring out a better version a few months later, especially if I wont get till 192

So saying it will sell out day 1 is very optimistic. Especially if VW start to announce Neo pricing and confirm they can ship at 25-30k. If they arrive with a Niro at 40k I think most people will wait the 12 months and keep 10k in their pocket.

Are you trying to say now that a 64kWh Neo will be <€30k!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,329 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Shefwedfan you're in danger of becoming the new Mad Lad.

Jamming the VW Unicorn* into every conversation and every thread!

*(Well they're both mythical creatures for now)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

So if they do like Hyundai and give a crappy spec for under the 40k mark then why would I spend 40k on a car with a crappy spec? Just buy myself a Audi Q3/A5 for 40k.

Will the A5 for 40k have similar performance and economy?!
    especially as the government don't have the balls to target diesel.

What do you mean? The VRT was just increased across the board only for diesels.

Are you trying to say now that a 64kWh Neo will be <€30k!! :D

Im not saying any pricing. I am saying a 40k Kia is overpriced. Especially when you can get a PHEV for nearly 10k cheaper.

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Shefwedfan you're in danger of becoming the new Mad Lad.

Jamming the VW Unicorn* into every conversation and every thread!

*(Well they're both mythical creatures for now)

From a buyers point of view I would be concerned that Kia think they can sell at the car at any price with any spec and it will walk out the door. It might be worth mentioning a few times to them that other manufacturers will have other options. Hopefully Nissan announce the 60kWh Leaf as well. Otherwise expect more of rip off Ireland......

grogi wrote: »
    Will the A5 for 40k have similar performance and economy?!

If it was that easy then everyone would have moved from diesel to electric a long time ago. How many people(outside of EV owners) are going to spend 40k on a Kia crossover?

Especially when they can buy an Audi or even a Land Rover for the same money....

grogi wrote: »
    What do you mean? The VRT was just increased across the board only for diesels.

The VRT increase was laughable. 1%...they should have increased by 3-5%. They done the exact minimum. I think I heard mention of 400 euro addition to some cars? 400 euro is hardly going to stop you when you are spending 10-20k....it was a token measure

What happened the fuel increase? they chickened out of it

Im not saying any pricing. I am saying a 40k Kia is overpriced. Especially when you can get a PHEV for nearly 10k cheaper.

Well, you mentioned a Neo price of €25-30k and compared that to a 64kWh eNiro price and that people should keep the €10k in their pockets. That is suggesting that the comparison is apples to apples when its not.

What price do you predict for a 64kWh Neo OTR? I bet it wont be that far off the Kona/eNiro prices.... a few grand in it... certainly not €10k like you said.... it might even be more expensive, who knows.

I agree at €40k the eNiro is overpriced, as is the Kona. And they have done what any capitalist would do... price to the level the market will bear. I cant fault them for that and I wont be buying either, unfortunately, because I cant justify it.

The VRT increase was laughable. 1%...they should have increased by 3-5%. They done the exact minimum. I think I heard mention of 400 euro addition to some cars? 400 euro is hardly going to stop you when you are spending 10-20k....it was a token measure

What happened the fuel increase? they chickened out of it

It was the best they could do with a weak govt. FF wouldnt have allowed more. Thats politics.

It was a warning shot across the bow though. It sets a nice precendent for subsequent budgets and you can be certain that it will be increased year on year now.

It wasnt enough but it is a start.

• Advertisement

Well, you mentioned a Neo price of €25-30k and compared that to a 64kWh eNiro price and that people should keep the €10k in their pockets. That is suggesting that the comparison is apples to apples when its not.

What price do you predict for a 64kWh Neo OTR? I bet it wont be that far off the Kona/eNiro prices.... a few grand in it... certainly not €10k like you said.... it might even be more expensive, who knows.

I agree at €40k the eNiro is overpriced, as is the Kona. And they have done what any capitalist would do... price to the level the market will bear. I cant fault them for that and I wont be buying either, unfortunately, because I cant justify it.

I think we can bring this back to the Neo thread.....

Personally the more I look at it 40k on a Kia is something I just cant see myself doing. I don't need the range at the moment and I would only get if a company car but my company will not allow Kia or Hyundai as company cars :p now maybe I will test drive and I could buy but I just dont see it at the moment

It was the best they could do with a weak govt. FF wouldnt have allowed more. Thats politics.

It was a warning shot across the bow though. It sets a nice precendent for subsequent budgets and you can be certain that it will be increased year on year now.

It wasnt enough but it is a start.

It wasn't FF, it was the independents......

Advertisement